Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

Hopefully this thread doesn’t break like the old one.

Are homebrewed 3DS’ still getting bans?

There haven't really been new bans since that initial wave, but no one's really definitively answered how the bans happened either (no real consistency in terms of installed software/settings was ever determined, and some people got banned with just the CFW and nothing else installed). I would expect it'll happen again in a month with Pokémon Ultra, especially since it's probably the last chance Nintendo will have to do a 3DS ban that might actually bother people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

We might finally be able to install Zelda: Four Swords Anniversary Edition to a fresh DSi.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

radNAND was an old way that involved having a parallel image of your internal memory on an SD card (which meant if you had a 32 gig Wii U you needed a 64-gig SD card with half of it being taken up by redNAND).

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

sharktamer posted:

So is it too late to hack a fresh Wii u now?

Pretty sure you still can, but you must use the method requiring a DS VC game so it will cost you like $7 if you don’t have one.

Assuming you’re on 5.5.2, that is. If you avoided updates you have other options which are free.

univbee fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Dec 31, 2017

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Yeah the DS VC approach gives you the smoothest experience for sure.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Also the bulk of games on the new systems are pretty dependent on online anyway, I'm not sure that having, theoretically, a newer system softmodded is terribly viable anymore in most cases.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I think it's also important to note that gaming has largely "solved" the issue with piracy, in that the pirated copy used to be more convenient than the non-pirated copy, and this took many forms (and still manifests itself on occasion with "online only" games which are only DRM checking, or copy protection which slows down the system). More to the point, you lost nothing with a pirated PSP game, there were no trophies/cheevos and very little online to worry about that would get your account banned. Hell, almost no PSP games had updates, either. Now most games actually use online functionality in multiple forms, even if it's just trophies, cloud saves and updates.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

You also gained a lot by pirating on the psp. Mainly battery life.

Right, not having to drive a motor to get your UMD spinning was a big power saver.

Now most games are pretty much as convenient as they'll get in their legal copies. Exceptions are few and mostly on PC due to copy protection overhead that goes away when a game is cracked.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Switch and 3DS games are a special case for me as well since especially first-party they never go on significant sale, so there's a weird bit of value retention. I also just don't trust how Nintendo handles digital ownership mostly.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

VC Injection was definitely a thing with the OG Wii, to the point where ROMsites would have collections of injections of most games for a system ready-to-go as WAD files you could install to your Wii if copied to an SD card.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I think any modern gaming system effectively becomes offline only (or at least not communicating with the main online platform) if you hack it. It'll be interesting to see what homebrewers manage to do with a hacked PS4 but I have my doubts it'll be terribly useful to most people. It doesn't help that there isn't a whole lot in an official capacity that hacking it will let you circumvent, really, there's no proper backwards compatibility on PS4 at all so you don't really meaningfully gain anything there that you can't already pull from a PC. You could maybe hack a pre-load to make it launchable in advance, but Sony already doesn't give you very much lead time on pre-loads, you can get a game further ahead of time in Middle Eastern shops.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Has anyone here successfully added a FCEUGX and/or SNES9X channel to their modded Wii? I'd love to pretty much skip the Homebrew Channel when using those apps.

Yes I did, so it’s definitely possible, but this was years ago and said Wii is a 4-hour drive away right now so I don’t have specifics handy, unfortunately.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

That's extremely good since they're $150 new

Indeed. My guess is someone badly hosed up and put the non-XL 2DS price on it.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

In all honesty if you want portable emulation goodness, get a cheap 2DS or some other member of the 3DS family for strictly-offline play and go to town with a 32 gig SD card.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

havenwaters posted:

To my knowledge most of the bans/banwaves were from people playing unreleased games. However, there was one banwave that no one had any clue as to why it happened and people still don't know what flagged those consoles.

Still there also hasn't been a banwave like that since.

Yeah that whole banwave thing was weird and inconsistent, likely on purpose in order to keep people guessing. One of my secondary 3DSes got banned despite having never been used for online play, and even having purchased a few legit downloadables for it.

VV None of those apply to the system I got banned on.

univbee fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Mar 15, 2018

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Lord Frisk posted:

If you already bought the games, updating the store channel is infinitely easier than tracking down and injecting wads for VC stuff.

You clearly don't remember what a nightmare that store is to use.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

All current systems do have minimum version requirements for games, how they're handled varies.

Switch carts can include the update on the cart, doesn't seem like it pushes automatically though.
Xbox One you can't use the system at all unless you first connect it to the internet, which will pull whatever the latest fw is at that time. Even once that's done, some later games may have minimum version requirements. These updates aren't on disc, an internet connection is required so you need to pull whatever the latest fw at that time is.
PS4's can be run out-of-the-box without an internet connection, however some games have minimum version requirements. These updates aren't on the discs. You can download the fw update to put on a USB key but you'd probably have a hard time tracking down a specific older version.

Apparently due to how the games are coded and operate it might not be as simple as spoofing your FW version number, either.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I don't know if it was the fix in his specific situation but I recently did a similar fix on my own. I can't remember the name of it now, but can check when I get home. It consists of two apps, a Windows-based one and a Homebrew Launcher-based one. You run the Homebrew one and it does a mass-check of all the iOS versions you have as well as what exploits your Wii physically has, and generates a template file on the root of your SD card. Punting this file into the Windows app then downloads exactly the WAD files you need with the latest iOS versions appropriate for your hardware. Use a WAD manager on your Wii and install them all, and you're all good to go.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Lord Frisk posted:

I bought stuff on the Wii shop in 2018 to see if it was doable. It still is as of like February?

The cutoff for adding points was a few weeks ago.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The Lobster posted:

E: I also believe the "unfrick Skyward Sword" patch is free and goes away forever in January. Does downloading a PATCH after that count as piracy? I'm sure someone in the thread will yell that it is.

Am I remembering wrong or was this installed by default on Wii U's vWii partitions officially? Also they fixed the bug in later pressings of the game. All that "patch" is, is a utility that fixes a save game that is created after doing that late game stuff in an order that breaks your ability to progress, I suspect it would be possible to do this on a PC if really needed, no PIRACY required.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

There are plenty of Wii game hacks already, like New Super Mario Bros. Wii with new levels and stuff like that. The main major bug in Skyward Sword is completely fixed if you have a later pressing of the game (version 1.2), too.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Dialing 1-800-388-PIR8 on this whole thread, myself included.

To actually put something productive here, the software I used to correct my Wii softmod was ModMii, specifically the "sysCheck Updater" function. Basically if your Wii hack is misbehaving but you at least have the Homebrew Channel and can run apps in it, this will get you up to date.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Stock has to pass through enough people and locations that it's really easy for one of those steps to be done slightly wrong, like a bunch get mis-shelved in the warehouse and found again later, stuff like that.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

ExcessBLarg! posted:

One of the open questions with the Switch is whether it's going to have homebrew emulators and save backups before Nintendo releases their subscription-or-whatever VC service and cloud saves. Those are things that people want, even if they don't pirate games. With the hardware busted open, homebrewers might actually win the race here.

Not a bad prediction since the same thing happened with the 3DS for the most part.

Nintendo's handling of Virtual Console has been especially embarrassing when comparing it to, for example, how Sony did the PS1 Classics.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Andrast posted:

In what world did the Vita fail because third party developers were afraid of piracy

I'd argue that a big reason for Vita's failing (proprietary memory cards and their relatively high costs) was precisely due to piracy fears.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

what

The Vita hack came out like a year ago

I'm arguing the opposite, Sony made really bad decisions with the Vita specifically as a countermeasure to piracy, which worked while the system was current but made the system too expensive for many to bother with.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Chinook posted:

It didn't always necessarily work. Neither myself nor some friends of mine ended up getting any kind of online ban despite thoroughly utilizing CFW and backups, etc, and we played online too.

I remember some people speculating it might have something to do with playing certain games before their release dates, but I don't think that covered everyone.

They were definitely able to detect some other way, but I think they didn't ban everyone specifically to poison the pool of non-banned to make their information largely useless. Apparently some people were banned who had only just started the CFW process and not actually done anything meaningful with it yet.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

ExcessBLarg! posted:

It's custom firmware that did that, not "piracy". Once you had a CFW-modded PSP it was trivial to dump your UMD game collection to memory stick with all the benefits associated with it. There was no inherent advantage to pirating games (other than not having to pay for them).

I mean, sure, with a CFW-modded PSP you could also pirate games if you wanted, but the feature benefits incentivised console modding even for those who didn't pirate games.

Actually you got considerably better battery life from a CFW-modded PSP in the early days when there were no digital games, because you could play games without having to power a motor to spin the disc. So piracy did have that advantage.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Empress Brosephine posted:

I've seen people say this cna be done with a paperclip...anyone have any idea?

It looks like from a hardware standpoint it mainly comes down to bridging two exposed pins in the right joy-con rail. So yes, this would work, but maybe be slightly less ideal just from the standpoint of rigidity of paper clips possibly making it difficult to bend so it'll hold the way you need it to reliably.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

For emulation the joy-cons are of limited use since you really want a proper array of buttons and a D-Pad for those. Which means an external bluetooth controller, at which point you might as well get an $80 Android tablet if that's the form factor you want. Putting emulators on a 2DS/3DS makes more sense, relatively.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Andrast posted:

The joycons are fine for anything I want to play

Good for you but games designed for D-Pads aren't always ideal with analog sticks, and the shoulder buttons aren't great if you need a lot of access to them like in a 6-button fighting game.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Infinitum posted:

Out of curiosity, is there anyway that this could potentially fry a Switch if you jumpered poo poo wrong?

I'd be surprised, it's unlikely connectors which are exposed like that would create an issue if bridged without a resistor given how much could easily go wrong there, especially with little kids.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

peter gabriel posted:

I totally forgot I even had a Wii and thanks to this thread I dug it out and discovered homebrew, and holy poo poo thank you everyone, I am in total heaven right now. I had zero clue all this was possible.
I found an old 20 inch LCD TV I have that is not HD or widescreen and playing SNES / Mega Drive / Master System games is pretty much perfect, even the slightly dodgy picture quality is there. It's honestly everything young me would have wanted and I am just delighted :)

OG Wii’s on a 4:3 CRT are loving awesome for old games

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Chemical Bastard posted:

Should I get RetroArch on Wii updated? I got the version that can handle the large Neo Geo games and I don't want to break that function but I want to try the general MAME and CPS2 cores.

RetroArch would just live on your SD card, right? Just back up your SD card, update, and then if it doesn't pan out restore it back.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

E2M2 posted:

Getting a Wii U from a friend for $50

Guessing emulator support is pretty good?

That is a screaming-good deal.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Shadow225 posted:

Wait, you can get Gamecube emulators running? linx plz

Nintendont.

It's not even emulation, it's straight-up running on hardware because all the important GC stuff is still inside Wii and Wii U hardware. Nintendont will let you map virtual memory cards and use controllers other than official GC ones.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

People who get banned are people who played pokemon online before it came out.

Not exclusively; the big banwave last year was further-reaching and we have no idea how Nintendo detected it still. I had a 3DS banned that wasn't used to play games online at all, and never played a game before release, and wasn't even my main also-hacked 3DS, and it got banned (while my main one didn't :iiam:)

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Dizz posted:

why have the DS game like that when you can put it on it's side and have it bigger?

Because you're playing Contra 4 correctly. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri2W_L1wFMg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

So it prevents what you used to have to do with the 3DS where you would downgrade to version 2 to do an exploit?

Yeah, firmwares are designed not to install/work if you have too many fuses blown, so generally once you upgraded a firmware you can’t roll back.