Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
It's almost always browser certificate updates. It's probably eshop related. There's practically zero chance they're bothering with security patches for the wii U, especially considering they've left the 3DS wide open since 2015.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Yes, Dolphin, it's fantastic but wait for proper joycon drivers or use a bluetooth controller. Emulation is basically perfect on my nvidia Shield and it's almost there already on the switch.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Keep in mind that the first time you play through a game with Dolphin it has to calculate shaders, which causes a lot of stuttering. There are ways to mitigate that, but don't assume performance is bad on your first play through a level. Sunshine is also pretty difficult to get right. I can play Melee, Fire Emblem, Double Dash, Metroid Prime and Wind Waker just fine on the Shield.

Also, make sure you're using the Vulkan renderer.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Here's the compatibility list, I dunno how up to date it is but I haven't had a game fail to run in twilight menu ++ so far.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LRTkXOUXraTMjg1eedz_f7b5jiuyMv2x6e_jY_nyHSc/edit#gid=0

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Grab it from here: https://github.com/DS-Homebrew/TWiLightMenu/releases

and install the CIA. It'll do a little setup, then once you boot it tap the little icon on the bottom right of the bottom display. You'll see the root of your SD card, just navigate to wherever you put your roms and voila.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

RandomFerret posted:

Man, I tried so hard to get this thing working, the dev even spent an hour trying to help me online. I don't think I'm ever going to get to play Miles Edgeworth 2.

Try installing via the updater here: https://github.com/RocketRobz/TWiLightMenu-Updater/releases

Or, you could just get a flashcart, which would probably work better anyway.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
All this talk in the Switch thread about trading in launch Switches to gamestop for the new chip makes me really, deeply sad. I have this sinking feeling that Nintendo is trying to get the first 14 million back so they can landfill them and pretend the whole thing never happened.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Now is a really good time to go hunting for launch switches, people are trading 'em in for the new model.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

LODGE NORTH posted:

*looks at the utter chaos that is the desolate 360 scene*

A good reason for that is the fact that there just aren't a lot of surviving 360s. I still have a working RGH'ed fat model in a crate waiting for the day I finally decide to finish Lost Odyssey. It will almost certainly RROD on the last chapter. I've accepted this.

Chronojam posted:

You're frustrated, and lots of people are, but this is catastrophizing a little bit.

When the Wii eShop stopped taking new orders, it didn't delete your games or brick your console. If your console is dying, transfer to your WiiU.

Actually, WiiU basically gave away lots of vc games for like a quarter apiece. And if your Wii is bricking, any WiiU re-purchases/upgrades were $1 for NES up to $2 I think for N64. Not free, but close.

All of this is beside the point. the value of a NES or SNES rom is free. Anyone can just download any of these ROMS for absolutely nothing from a simple google search. They can then run those ROMS on practically any piece of hardware with a screen and enough buttons. This makes pirating ROMS a straight up better experience than what Nintendo's doing. You can keep the roms wherever you want and run them on whatever you want.

Netflix solved this problem for movies by making it way more convenient to just pay a fee so you can stream a vast library directly to whatever device you want, wherever you are. That's straight up better than what piracy can offer. Spotify did the same for music.

Nintendo doesn't even understand what they're competing with. Until they make something that's actually better than piracy, it's going to be worth zero dollars.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Which is exactly why New Media ate Old Media. If you're already struggling, you don't really have the opportunity to throw away all your existing revenue to chase a transforming market, so some new upstart with nothing to lose is going to eat your lunch. Nintendo has cash in the bank right now to do this right, but the people at the top don't understand the internet.

Sony is at least starting to clue in a little with PS Now and free Plus games, but much like the Vita they're not making a solid enough commitment to the idea.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 29, 2019

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Takoluka posted:

Netflix removes movies constantly, and if Nintendo was ever like "Oh yeah, Super Castlevania 4 is leaving SNESflix this fall!" people would whine so much that their stock would drop. The solution that people seem to want is "Full access to everything, without question," and outside of piracy, you can't get that. It's not possible. And on top of that, I've seen the argument that $5.99 for Mega Man Legacy Collection 1 is too much, anything above free is too much for LC2, and Disney Afternoon Collection at $5 is "a rip-off." Those are so full of content outside of the games, but no one ever seems excited for it outside of super niche enthusiasts. There's no winning this game, and Nintendo just decided to barely play it at all.

If what you're saying is true, why is Netflix a successful company? Why doesn't the stock drop when they remove content? Why do people sign up for it even though they can pirate everything?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Super No Vacancy posted:

netflix doesnt make any money

nutflix on the other hand

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
It really does not take very much effort to download a snes emulator on an android phone and get it working, and even less on any computer made in the last 10 years. Honestly, the barrier to entry for most people is knowing it's a thing you can do. If someone is interested in running old games, especially young people who are likely to own a Switch, they're also savvy enough to type "play snes games on computer" into google and follow the instructions.

edit: What makes me especially crazy about this is that Nintendo is making no money at all from the vast library of IP they own. Meanwhile they're shutting down sites like snesbox which play snes games in a god drat browser window, no downloading required. Holy christ guys, just do that and charge five bucks a month.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Aug 30, 2019

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

ItBreathes posted:

What does hacking a PS3 get you, anyways? I can guess but it doesn't come up a whole lot so I'm not sure if there's anything special about it.

I use mine as a Retroarch / PSX / PS2 box that plays the occasional Blu-Ray. PS3s are cheap as heck, easy to hack and the controllers are good and cheap too. Also, it can play most of the Yakuza games, the value of which really can't be quantified by mere currency.

edit: vvv yeah you gotta do craigslist or local shops and try them in person, unfortunately. The OEM models are still very common, but you gotta know how they're supposed to feel.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 24, 2019

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

repiv posted:

The short version is that it required scraping the solder mask off the mainboard and soldering directly onto bare PCB traces

That's not actually that bad, I do that all the time for water damage repair...

oh my god they're 0.1mm traces nope nope nope nope nope

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

HenryEx posted:

Yeah they couldn't program around / break the actual loading mechanism for loading game cart images (this is also why there's no "free" solution for loading game cart images) so they just ripped out the relevant code part that does it from the Nintendo OS almost wholesale, and hardcoded the cryptokey necessary for it into that, which is a big no-no. Crypto keys are like, intellectual property of Nintendo, so they actually just straight up stole Nintendo property and resold it as (part of) their own product.

The rest of it was wholesale ripped off from atmosphere and other oss projects anyway, they didn't invent poo poo. They just packed it up in a janky but easier to deal with UI and then had the absolute audacity to charge $20 a pop for it. Their entire strategy must have been "don't get caught, ever" which, i've been told, usually doesn't work out.

The homebrew community's better without them, except I hope someone reverse engineers that modchip. What sucks is that whatever ruling comes out of this will probably be used as precedent for even shittier behavior from the justice department, but whatever acab burn it all down anyway.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

anatomi posted:

unless you've overclocked the Switch CPU to a dangerous degree (don't do this).

Good news: you physically can't. Nobody has damaged or ever will damage their switch with overclocking. You can max out the sliders and the only thing you'll ever hurt is battery life. Even if your cooling fails somehow, it'll just shut down until you can repaste it.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

anatomi posted:

I had no idea. That's reassuring. I rarely use the Switch more than a couple of hours at a time so increased battery drain isn't a concern. It'd be neat to match the docked-mode frequencies if nothing else. What do you use for overclocking?

i use the sys-clk module and the overlay utility for it, it's handy. SMT V, for example, runs much better with everything maxed out.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

That loving Sned posted:

have some way of replacing the battery without sending it back to Nintendo.

i.e. $20, the right screwdriver and around 5 minutes

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Quantum of Phallus posted:

buy two switches

then they'd have three switches ???

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Pegnose Pete posted:

This is exactly what I want to do, but can’t seem to find any threads online for instructions.
Does the Vita memory card require any weird set up?
It works fine as my secondary storage for PSP games via Adrenaline, so I know the card works. I’m just worried if I sell it to a normie without CFW it might not work for them and they may try to claim a refund or something.
It’s been formatted exFat via Windows/Vita shell, so in theory if they put it in their Vita it should just work right?

Maybe try just copy pasting a big file onto it in vitashell to verify that it reads and writes okay?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

PageMaster posted:

Is it possible through homebrew to download my digital games off my switch if I want to try running them on my deck on an emulator? I have an OLED app not the easy first runs to homebrew, buy I don't wanna dive in and try if it wouldn't let me do it anyways.

The OLED switch is not hackable without a somewhat rare and expensive mod chip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Butterfly Valley posted:

I finally figured out that I have a hackable switch - it was in that period of serial numbers where some were patched and some weren't.

What are the best things I could do with hacking it? I have a hacked 3DS that has a good amount of emulators on it, but I guess the switch is better for anything that's not from the DS/3DS family.

Also I tried out TotK emulated at 4k 60fps and it made me sad given I'd already put about 100 hours into the game on my switch so I wasn't about to start again - could I rip the save file from my switch and stick it into the emulated version?

The switch is pretty great at emulating most things up until gamecube / ps2 (it can play a bunch of those games but is best done in android which is a pain). And yeah, swapping saves back and forth with emulators is entirely possible and really cool, get JKSV and/or EdiZon and go nuts.

Another cool thing is overclocking, the switch actually has a bunch of headroom that can be used at the expense of battery life. Great stuff for docked mode especially, SMTV (for example) was infinitely better to play with an overclock.