Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Terminally Bored posted:

What's the best homebrew way to transfer saves and settings from one 3ds to another?

Saves, definitely JKSM. Don't know about settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Other than ntrboot, you don't need a flashcart for anything 3DS, only for DS games and homebrew.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Only the kind that get patched directly into the rom, it uses a very stripped down version of "virtual console", with no extra features beyond actually playing the games.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

DACK FAYDEN posted:

e: also what the hell, does that link on the last page say native support on a 3DS for any GBA ROM I want? :eyepop:

Basically, yeah. Nobody is quite sure why Nintendo never did it officially, outside of the 10 they released for the Ambassador Program (which was essentially an apology to early adopters of the 3DS who bought before the price dropped by $80, only 6 months after the initial release.)

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I didn't realize that the Ambassador Program's existence implied how trivial it would be to, for instance, put FFV on something with a better backlight than my GBA-001.
The only catch is, there's an extra bit of firmware that got installed alongside the Ambassador Program's files, which was the GBA firmware, and new 3DSes don't come with it. (Luma takes care of that, though.)

SeANMcBAY posted:

Native GBA rules and is my favorite thing about 3DS homebrew. It absolutely owns to be able to play the fan translation of Mother 3 natively.
It is indeed awesome. It's a shame there are a handful of games that will never work 100% right, though. (That being those with additional hardware in the cart, like Warioware Twisted, Yoshi Topsy-Turvy [or Universal Gravitation, depending on region], Kirby Tilt 'n Tumble, and Boktai.)

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

It probably depends on which type of screen the 3DS in question has as well. I get a similar effect (temporary burn-in) on my PC monitor if I have parts of the screen unchanged for an extended period of time. (It's not a CRT.)

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Olivil posted:

So we know the 3DS has, inside its DS hardware, what's needed to run GBA games natively.

Not really, it just has an optional bit of firmware (AGB_FIRM) that lets it run GBA games. (Luma and other CFWs generally take care of that now, though.)

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

SeANMcBAY posted:

Switch to B9S. It’s really easy and doesn’t take long

I can second and verify this, it took me maybe 5 minutes to go from A9LH to B9S.

The Rosalina menu in the newer builds of Luma is great, if only so you can see the actual remaining battery percentage, even while in a game without going to the home screen. (The 3DS battery meter is stupid - if I remember correctly, 4 bars means >60%, 3 is 30-60%, 2 is 10-30%, 1 is 5-10%, and no bars + blinking red light is <5%.)

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Pre-i DSes are super easy, basically any DS flashcart you get will let you run both homebrew and commercial software. (It was no longer necessary by the time I got my Lite, but I still installed FlashMe on it, partly out of habit and partly for the recovery boot.)

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Dehry posted:

https://twitter.com/smealum/status/948280316300374016

Whelp. Someone leapfrogged the Switch homebrew guys from the other week. Permanent CFW for switch coming Spring.

I haven't looked any deeper into it, but I'm guessing it's another backdoor Nintendo left in like they did on the 3DS, which is why the method is "futureproof".

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Though as a non-licensed game it might not be recognized by the 3DS anyway.

Edit: Methods to play incompatible flashcarts would probably work. (NTR Launcher, TWLoader)

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Stink Terios posted:

VC injection is also better for GB and NES games.
Plus, the NES VC can handle multiple games in a single instance, it automatically generates a menu of all the games in it.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

I used this patch no problem. Good work!

I couldn't figure out what 3DS piracy site was being aluded to, so I just spent an hour making my own GBA cia files. Kinda a pain, but hey, I got a bunch done. Thanks for the help, people.

I assume 'that ISO site' is the one being referred to, and if you Google that, you'll find it.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

African AIDS cum posted:

Has anyone made NES injections on 3DS with "perfect pixel" mode yet? And/or with SNES on Wii U?

Perfect pixel would probably be best for NES injections anyway, since the NES's vertical resolution matches the 3DS's. (256x240 vs 400 [top]/320 [bottom]x240)

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Virtual Console injection. Basically taking the emulator Nintendo use for VC releases and injecting your own ROMs into them. With GBA games, it's called VC injection because it uses the emulation Nintendo used for the Ambassador programme back in the day if I remember correctly.

Not "emulation" for GBA but more like mode-switching. Other than that, yes same basic thing. Without those Ambassador games and the accompanying AGB_FIRM, GBA games on the 3DS would be nowhere near the quality they are now.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

While this one does have an ntrboot mode (for installing B9S), the switch is internal, so you'd have to open the case to flip it. (See here.)

The Ace3DS X has similar functionality, but actually has an external switch. (Though it is shipped oddly, in the form of an extra-large USB card reader, with the cart, the magnet, and the microSD reader inside.)

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

If I remember correctly, Goomba Color was pretty solid in my experience. On 3DS I just use VC injects though. (If I played more than a few GB/C games I might use a standalone emulator and roms on the SD.)

As for that hardware switch, that's why the GBA carts have the grooves in the corners - the non-grooved corners of GB/C carts push down the switch that switches voltage/mode. (That's also why GB/C carts physically won't fit in a GBA Micro or DS/Lite - because the part the groove fits over is solid rather than a depressable switch.)

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Lord Frisk posted:

I'll let you know in a few days when mine comes in. If it counts, it's reviewed pretty well. The Hori version (which has different analog sticks and triggers) is a dependably solid controller, and my go-to pro/gamecube controller. Most reviews I looked at say they're about comparable.

That's actually an official Nintendo product, so it should be quite far from rear end.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

[quote="Uncle at Nintendo" post=""483706682"]

[/quote]

snes9x is pretty great on old 3ds too. I mean, don't expect to play poo poo like Super Mario RPG or Starfox, but it works fine for most games without special chips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

xanthan posted:

Was looking at boot9strap first before considering a flash cart.

11.6.0 is the firmware version, 39 is the browser version, U is the region. (Browser version doesn't matter much anymore, but it was a major entry point in the past. Also, if you update from cart, it gives you a "fake" browser with version number 0.)