Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
I'm under the impression you still need the DS VC game on older versions unless you want to launch the browser and run the exploit every single time you want to do homebrew?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Is there a good guide for more extensive SNES Classic homebrew? I modded one for a coworker but that was just adding some more SNES games for them. I'm under the impression it's possible to put emulators for other systems on it as well and want to gift one to my brother when I visit my family next month

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Using homebrew to reading carts is different from using homebrew to run them. I had a 3DS with only userland access to homebrew which wasn't enough to install CIAs of homebrew, VC games, or pirate anything, but I will still able to dump a legit cart of Pokemon Moon to help somebody who had 0 homebrew access that worked on extracting data on movesets and pokemon models and all that.

Presumably there'd eventually be some sort of homebrew that can just read each byte off the carts even if the system still prevents executing that code.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Somebody post that talk where it's mentioned that the Virtual Console release of Super Mario Bros. 1 has an ines header

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

SeANMcBAY posted:

Has there been a hack free Pokémon experience ever? Seems like something that’s doomed to repeat until the heat death of the universe.

I wanted to say the originals but then remembered nobody being able to battle remotely fairly because we'd all catch Pokemon over level 100 off the coast of Cinnabar Island and since that was based on the player's name we all had wildly different available options.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
I'd be _very_ surprised if there was such a thing given what I know about the 3DS's DS mode, but I don't suppose there's a way to get screenshots of DS games is there?

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
How good is the Wii U's DS emulator for virtual console injection anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Got around to finally buying a DS VC game to get Haxchi on my Wii U.

Are there no simple tools to injecting VC games on it? I found one, but it involved picking a system from the command prompt, picking a source rom to inject, using another program to identify LoRom/HiRom, and seemed way more involved compared to injecting things on the 3DS where you basically just pick a rom and pick an image to use for it.

So instead I just grabbed a few emulators from the homebrew app store and played Donkey Kong Country for the first time in probably 20 years and had a lot of fun with it. Only to discover it didn't actually save SRAM! I can't imagine it wouldn't autosave it, but is there an option anywhere? I was using a Snes9x2010 retroarch core.