Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, any long term sitcom is gonna basically be about a group of people growing close and sharing a lot that bonds them, especially if its a show where like characters get married, become god children to each other's kids, come out to one another, and stuff like that. Not even counting the part where they've been in life and death situations and saved each other's lives or freedom in a bunch of cases.

It just might seem odd if like you don't like the people you've been working with for 7+ years. That would be a very different tv show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, any long term sitcom is gonna basically be about a group of people growing close and sharing a lot that bonds them, especially if its a show where like characters get married, become god children to each other's kids, come out to one another, and stuff like that. Not even counting the part where they've been in life and death situations and saved each other's lives or freedom in a bunch of cases.

It just might seem odd if like you don't like the people you've been working with for 7+ years. That would be a very different tv show.

I dunno I've got some people in my life that I've known for decades, and we don't have bi-weekly emotional declarations of loyalty and I wouldn't risk my entire life for them.

Sometimes people just work together.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I've never worked in a place quite that co dependent either. But given what we've seen them go through together it kinda makes sense. Its tv logic but like, mainly because reality doesn't really work the way sitcoms do.

Like if you one time saved my life, got me clear of false criminal charges, were the person I trusted to come out to, invited me to stand at your wedding, I helped organize an impromptu wedding for you, and you asked me to care for your kids then I hope I would feel very strongly towards you. Or else stuff is about to get awkward.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I saved a guy's life once and we don't even talk anymore.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

I dunno I've got some people in my life that I've known for decades, and we don't have bi-weekly emotional declarations of loyalty and I wouldn't risk my entire life for them.

Sometimes people just work together.

Ok Ron Swanson.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Well yeah, but you gotta have things happen in episodes. In a real work place, Charles and Rosa would not have had a happy ending, but they're not gonna portray the situation of having to awkwardly avoid a creeper for multiple seasons, so Charles eventually gets over her and they bond over being good cops who trust each other.

As long as you've got a continuous crop of characters, you've only really got the options of having said characters' relationships grow deeper, having some characters never interact, or hitting the reset button between episodes or seasons.

They could have done a show where, say, Amy doesn't trust Terry because Terry has dropped the ball one too many times, but that would be a very different show.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
A cop show with a IASIP-dynamic would be interesting.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

cant cook creole bream posted:

A cop show with a IASIP-dynamic would be interesting.

Do we really need more evidence that cops are the absolute loving worst?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

Do we really need more evidence that cops are the absolute loving worst?

Yeah like, the Sunny crew are pretty terrible human beings, but at least they're not cops.
Dennis would totally be one tho.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
I wasn't the biggest Gina fan but she did bring a lot of antagonism to the team and I think it's missing that now. Probably too late to introduce a new team player who clearly isn't one, unless Hitchcock and Scully start to be a)more prominent and b) less goofballs and more grotesque.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Sloth Life posted:

I wasn't the biggest Gina fan but she did bring a lot of antagonism to the team and I think it's missing that now. Probably too late to introduce a new team player who clearly isn't one, unless Hitchcock and Scully start to be a)more prominent and b) less goofballs and more grotesque.

Hitchcock is already fairly grotesque. I mean, Scully has the heart condition of gold, whereas Hitchcock has been the creepy, pervy one this whole time.

I'm not saying I'd change them, but he's already grotesque enough.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Serperoth posted:

Yeah like, the Sunny crew are pretty terrible human beings, but at least they're not cops.
Dennis would totally be one tho.

They already were cops for an ep, until Charlie brought them down.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, the Gang played cop for about 3 seconds before they just embraced corruption and abuse fully. In fact, that's why they did it in the first place.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, the Gang played cop for about 3 seconds before they just embraced corruption and abuse fully. In fact, that's why they did it in the first place.

Also Roger from American Dad when he joined the force.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwtDDWjB5V4

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Based on what's happening right now, are they going to make changes in the next season? I mean, they did a couple very special episodes but the latest news has been pretty widely seen.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I imagine they'll at least touch on it the way they did with that Terry episode about being profiled. They'll talk about other cops abusing power and being violent and say the right things and then go back to normal. Ultimately the show tends to have its heart in the right place but isn't THAT kind of show.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

STAC Goat posted:

I imagine they'll at least touch on it the way they did with that Terry episode about being profiled. They'll talk about other cops abusing power and being violent and say the right things and then go back to normal. Ultimately the show tends to have its heart in the right place but isn't THAT kind of show.

Part of the subtext is that the police outside the 99 are almost entirely loving terrible, including virtually all the upper brass.

But yeah it's mostly not a preachy every episode kind of show.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

https://twitter.com/iamstephbeatz/status/1267730471670050823

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

I don't understand her questions. But that is an impressive sum.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

cant cook creole bream posted:

I don't understand her questions. But that is an impressive sum.

She's saying if you (earn money from) play a cop, or if you earn money from having played on in the past then you should donate.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
When people say that they grow overly attached and that would never happen at my workplace...layout right. Sitcoms do not and have never accurately represented the workplace. As you need to go on adventures and interact heavily with your comworkers or the plots can’t do anything.

Workplace sitcoms are more like loving around with your friends than an actual workplace

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Brooklyn 99 is about the police roughly to extent that Hogan's Heroes was about WWII.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Brooklyn 99 is about the police roughly to extent that Hogan's Heroes was about WWII.

Hogan was a hero in WWF :eng101:

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Appropriate as both are a subject matter that is not at all a joking matter

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/melissafumero/status/1267985472518676482?s=20

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I would be totally down with a career shift for the entire dept, someone in another thread suggested they suddenly became firefighters and it would work.

Reminds me of when Archer had to drop the whole ISIS thing, and they did a good job of it (albeit it’s not as big a shift, but it was a solid ‘this has to be done, it’ll be fine ‘ move for sure).

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
Yeah, I love me some old Archer, and that whole "ISIS agent" thing did not age well.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

They should all follow Pimento and become insurance investigators.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/terrycrews/status/1269772603524169728

:ohno:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Why is Terry Crews so bad at tweeting all the time?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

HookShot posted:

Why is Terry Crews so bad at tweeting all the time?
You know Terry is on team follow back!

I have this horrible feeling the cold open of the premiere will be a cut to Amy dropping 5 binders on a table in the conference room and saying “and that’s how I solved racism and police brutality forever during my maternity leave.”

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ok, so I've been trying to get my head around this since I first saw it but isn't Terry saying that white people should also help end white supremacy? I'm honestly not trying to be difficult or anything like that, that's just what my impressions were of the tweet. I've seen hundreds of replies complaining about it so I realize I'm most definitely wrong. I definitely don't want to be on the wrong side of this, but I'm trying to see the problem here, and it's difficult for me to do so. Help?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ok, so I've been trying to get my head around this since I first saw it but isn't Terry saying that white people should also help end white supremacy? I'm honestly not trying to be difficult or anything like that, that's just what my impressions were of the tweet. I've seen hundreds of replies complaining about it so I realize I'm most definitely wrong. I definitely don't want to be on the wrong side of this, but I'm trying to see the problem here, and it's difficult for me to do so. Help?

Eliminating White Supremacy does not make Black Supremacy the law of the land. Even wording things like that frames it in what the racists currently think is going to happen.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
lovely people love to frame any concept or effort to help black people as taking things away from white people. See affirmative action or things like the Rooney Rule in the NFL even as ineffective as those things have been. Playing into that bullshit narrative doesn't help anything.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Terry loves boot.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

socialsecurity posted:

Eliminating White Supremacy does not make Black Supremacy the law of the land. Even wording things like that frames it in what the racists currently think is going to happen.

Ahhhh ok. This makes sense, thanks.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/terrycrews/status/1269772603524169728

https://twitter.com/terrycrews/status/1269830932346703872?s=21

https://twitter.com/terrycrews/status/1269832339950977024?s=21

https://twitter.com/terrycrews/status/1269840577127788545?s=21

A thing I've noticed online is people love to tell you what you're actually saying and that people are terrible at gauging intent. I'm not a fan of that.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think Terry just wants everyone to get along and that's cool imo

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think Terry Crews is just kind of really bad at arguing his point and takes the poo poo thrown at him on Twitter too much to heart and responds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

I think Terry Crews is just kind of really bad at arguing his point and takes the poo poo thrown at him on Twitter too much to heart and responds.

I think it's this, too. I think his heart is in the right place, but he's not good at articulating his points, and responding to the replies really doesn't help.