Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I made a PUN! You see, cement is liquid until it's so-....

You bricked it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Good finale. Not great. Just good.

jumba
Sep 6, 2004

Hang in there!
Fun Shoe
I loved the greatest hits format , but I also loved how the characters understood how much they've grown over the past 8 years and how all of their choices made sense for where they were at that time. Also glad to see appearances by Chelsea Peretti and Dirk Blocker in person on the last episode.

To me B99 joins 30 Rock and Parks & Rec as totally rewatchable sitcoms (well, maybe start of S2 of P&R...) on streaming services. All featuring SNL alum in the starring roles, and all getting jerked around by NBC during their final season.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Definitely been a critic of this season, and wondering if it was worth it.

Thought that was an A++ finale that had me laughing and happy the whole way through. Just perfect.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Beaver trap.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't care if it was a perfect episode or not, it was just a nice goodbye.

And I'm not ashamed to admit I totally bought on the 7 year coma. Schur does have a tendency to do the time jump for the finale. I just bit early.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

Solid B+ ending - nothing superlative but a fun ending to an awesome show. Final season was mixed and really stumbled both trying to engage with and avoid the current state of things (eventually having it just be “a reform bill we know nothing about the details of passes, this is a victory, just trust us” was pretty lame imo although it at least served for solid finale setup), but it did go out well. And yes it is funny to realise how little I missed Gina every time she showed up

It's a sitcom, did you really expect them to come up with a viable solution and go into details on how to solve the problems with policing in the USA?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
No, but that doesn’t make this a good solution. They were an impossible situation and they didn’t fully overcome it. I can’t really blame them, but it doesn’t mean I’m not gonna point it out

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Part of the solution was to not have 23 or 13 episodes of another cop show air in today's political climate, and instead only do 10. :shrug:

They successful strung jokes around most of it, so I'd call that a win.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

No, but that doesn’t make this a good solution. They were an impossible situation and they didn’t fully overcome it. I can’t really blame them, but it doesn’t mean I’m not gonna point it out

I don't think they ever really presented it as "the solution", it's an ongoing process which Holt and Santiago now have to look after.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, it definitely struck me as less "we solved the problem" and more "we're trying."

Its still kind of self serving. They wanted to finish up the show and say goodbye to their characters. They recognized that there was a problem with doing a cop show in this format. They decided to not just ignore it. They correctly painted it as a systematic problem that needs to be changed. Of course it ends up back in the same place where we started where it would be nice to believe there's a bunch of good people being good cops working to fix the problems in the system from within. But of course they're just tv characters so...

I respect that they recognize the problem, didn't want to ignore it, and didn't give it a magic solution. I also respect that they were never gonna solve the problem - either with society or the show. They gave it their best effort.

Like I think some of the more poignant moments were Jake and Rosa not being able to really find mutual ground, Jake getting suspended showing that even a "good cop" can abuse his power, and Ted McGinley's villain character ultimately getting promoted showing they've made at best incremental progress. But none of that is satisfying. Its just the show trying to be as honest as they can in their fantasy world. And at least it seems to show they get it.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Sep 19, 2021

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

I realized that I've only seen a lot of the episodes once......so I started a rewatch after the finale. For some reason I skipped past season one. Was that a mistake?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

RestingB1tchFace posted:

I realized that I've only seen a lot of the episodes once......so I started a rewatch after the finale. For some reason I skipped past season one. Was that a mistake?

Season 1 was ok, but it had that terrible Boyle/Rosa creep thing going on that dragged it all down.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

socialsecurity posted:

Season 1 was ok, but it had that terrible Boyle/Rosa creep thing going on that dragged it all down.

Its not that persistent though, its really only in like the first couple of episodes.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Season 1 has some of my favourite moments in the whole show (garbage dump in the Philippines and “drat, son!”) so yeah no don’t skip jt

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

On the other hand if you do skip it you never have to live with the sad longing of knowing that Jake and Gina were close childhood friends who completely grew apart despite working in the same office.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
One of my favorite lines in the series is in the first episode, I think.

Detective Peralta posted:

Hi! I'm Detective Right-All-The-Time, and this is my partner, Detective Terrible-Detective.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

STAC Goat posted:

On the other hand if you do skip it you never have to live with the sad longing of knowing that Jake and Gina were close childhood friends who completely grew apart despite working in the same office.

I mean, wouldn't you grow apart with Gina if you could?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

Ted McGinley's

:lol:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Uhh... some guy...

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

There's a lot of great eps in Season 1:

The Slump, The Vulture, Halloween (aka the first Heist ep), Old School, Sal's Pizza, Thanksgiving, Operation: Broken Feather, The Party, and Tactical Village

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Gina was one of my favourite characters and I'd be friends with her

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

You're all right. And despite the fact that I'm into season three.....I'm going to go back and watch that one.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Khanstant posted:

Gina would be a good friend to have when you need stories to tell your other friends, for sure

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
B99 didn’t quite find its voice until season 2, but there’s still a lot of good stuff in the first. It just sometimes feels more like “Parks and Rec with cops” or something instead of its own thing

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Escobarbarian posted:

B99 didn’t quite find its voice until season 2, but there’s still a lot of good stuff in the first. It just sometimes feels more like “Parks and Rec with cops” or something instead of its own thing

That kind of tends to be a thing with Schur shows, I've noticed. Parks & Rec's first season is very much "What if The Office, but in municipal government?" (Largely because P&R was originally conceived as an Office spin-off.)

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Gina's a friend I like. She's like that one friend you never really count on but you always know is gonna make things interesting when she shows up. You just factor it all in ahead of time.

I don't know, I just always weirdly hyper focused on the Gina/Jake relationship, or lack of one after the first season or two. I get that sitcoms take a little while to find their way and the show is originally built around Jake before it naturally becomes a much more balanced ensemble. And like, people do just grow apart. But it always makes me sad rationalizing that they grew up together, were basically family, and then just... had no relationship. It always makes me sad and forlorn about my own lost friendships.

And that's my sharing too much post.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
As someone who just watched season 1 of Parks and Rec for the first time this past week at no point was B99 ever as bad as Parks and Rec season 1 because hooooo boy was April the only redeeming feature of that whole thing.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Khanstant posted:

It is absolute heresy how she’s being dumped on

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I wasn't as big a fan of Gina as some of you all, but I didn't hate her character. I liked about 70% of what her character did, although the faux narcissism sometimes got a little too cartoonish for my taste. I was still sad to see her go, but after she was gone and wasn't really replaced, I think the show still held together fairly well. It was nice seeing her come back, and it's a shame that when they did the cutaway gag with the Brooklyn Bridge and the opening credit scene, they didn't use the version in which she hadn't been digitally removed. Kind-of a missed opportunity there.

Without Gina, who would have delivered the punchline in this scene?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCnw9Ck-M34

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
This is one of my favorite Gina scenes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_76QzdIxLw

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Gaunab posted:

This is one of my favorite Gina scenes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_76QzdIxLw

That's a Jake scene tho.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Mymla posted:

That's a Jake scene tho.

Jake scene plural?

Mymla, Jake scene plural?!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Mymla posted:

That's a Jake scene tho.

YOU'RE a Jake scene

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
There's a good chance that B99 will be the last broadcast-network live action sitcom I'll ever watch. The content/media conglomerates seem determined to put anything new and decent onto paid subscription streaming, far away from free-to-air TV or even basic cable. How can we force them to keep running good creative content on free TV, so it doesn't become a wasteland of garbage reality shows? Even most of the cable TV channels just run blocks of old syndicated poo poo instead of new scripted content. TV is dying.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I also kind of worry about that. The shows I watch most often, just to have something familiar that won't distract me but also won't let my brain open a thousand random tabs of not-work to be distracted buy -- are all old-times network shows that got plenty of episodes to create a loveable ensemble and little world that's fun to visit and revisit. The Office, Parks n Rec, Superstore, B99, 30 Rock, Community, maybe one or two I'm not remembering right now. Just the way shows are produced and their success measured today, I'm not holding my breath to be adding any other long shows to the comfort food pile anytime soon. Good Place was real good, but pretty short and pointed.

rutherford falls has 300% too much Andy and like a dozen characters a way from having the same ensemble charm and probably not going to be getting 6 more seasons ya know.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

tarlibone posted:

I wasn't as big a fan of Gina as some of you all, but I didn't hate her character. I liked about 70% of what her character did, although the faux narcissism sometimes got a little too cartoonish for my taste. I was still sad to see her go, but after she was gone and wasn't really replaced, I think the show still held together fairly well. It was nice seeing her come back, and it's a shame that when they did the cutaway gag with the Brooklyn Bridge and the opening credit scene, they didn't use the version in which she hadn't been digitally removed. Kind-of a missed opportunity there.

Without Gina, who would have delivered the punchline in this scene?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCnw9Ck-M34

I always loved the cartoonish displays of Terry's strength.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Davros1 posted:

I always loved the cartoonish displays of Terry's strength.

I appreciated the fact that they didn't use just stock fart sounds.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Gina just always felt like lazy writing. She'd show up, say how awesome she was, make fun of one of the characters for being quirky, then repeat. Way too forced and out of place for what is otherwise a very affable cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
IDK, the show without her was definitely missing some acid to balance the sweetness and weirdoes getting weirder unchecked. Most candy has citric acid for a reason, need some zing for the sweet to shine.

I think this last season in particular would've been the perfect use case for Gina as a non-cop voice on all the poo poo goin on.