Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

swickles posted:

VINDICATION!

edit: I have been watching it all over again the last few days, so while I won't say I was single handedly responsible for saving the show, I will not deny such proclamations.

I decided to do the same.

Man they look so much younger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

404notfound posted:

Hell yes. I hope whoever made this decision over at Fox is feeling like an rear end in a top hat right about now. When you've got guys like Mark Hamill and Guillermo del Toro saying how much they like a show, you don't loving cancel it what the gently caress

https://twitter.com/HamillHimself/status/994708302226378752

https://twitter.com/RealGDT/status/995039920656920583

Don't forget Lin Manuel Maranda!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

swickles posted:

Can't I? Just this once?

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

Can't I? Just this once?

But it's only one of the four shows he watches!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

swickles posted:

immortal technique needs to push him into the trash again

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI
I was regularly looking up renewal status on this show, and I've never done that for any show before at nearly 30. Christ I hope it gets picked up by a third party, eat poo poo Fox. It's so utterly positive, no matter how hard its material is, it's impossible not to respect it.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Toit nups

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Loutre posted:

I was regularly looking up renewal status on this show, and I've never done that for any show before at nearly 30. Christ I hope it gets picked up by a third party, eat poo poo Fox. It's so utterly positive, no matter how hard its material is, it's impossible not to respect it.

Scroll up friend

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Yeeeeeessssss! I’ve stopped watching most TV since we had a kid 2 years ago (well, most TV that isn’t targeted towards the kid), but this is one of the few shows we’ve worked to keep watching. A 13 episode season 6 at NBC, at the very least, let’s them end the show on their own terms. And maybe more, if this season is a hit.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I’m glad it’s renewed. I just hope we don’t get a Scrubs situation.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

If this isn’t the fastest turnaround from cancelation to rescue it’s gotta be up there.

I gotta say, NBC hasn’t done me wrong with comedy yet. I still remember how many chances they gave Community, and by the time they finally canceled it I really couldn’t blame them. And any network that would keep 30 Rock running for that long is OK in my book.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Harrow posted:

If this isn’t the fastest turnaround from cancelation to rescue it’s gotta be up there.

I gotta say, NBC hasn’t done me wrong with comedy yet. I still remember how many chances they gave Community, and by the time they finally canceled it I really couldn’t blame them. And any network that would keep 30 Rock running for that long is OK in my book.

Believe me, if NBC had been doing better in the ratings, 30 Rock would've never made it out of the first season.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Phylodox posted:

If we get a community S5 situation that'd be fine (Cast departures nonwithstanding). The last season of scrubs was always meant to be a spinoff that got folded back into the main branding.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

In retrospect it's kinda crazy there was a period where we had 30 Rock, The Office, Parks & Rec, and Community airing back to back

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!
I'd love an hour block of The Good Place and Brooklyn 99.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I want the cold open for the first NBC season to be the opening credits redone, but this time it says "Baltimore 99," and instead of the brief snippets of silliness to introduce the characters, you see brief snippets of seriousness. Then when it starts, you get some shaky cam work and certain line deliveries repeated using obviously different takes to dramatic effect. But they're all scowling, and they're all saying crap to each other like, "Grumble, serious, serious, dark, serious, gritty" over and over again. You see Samberg and Braugher in an office, doing the whole serious dark bit, when Tim Bayliss storms into the main room, shouts "Get the hell out of here!" loudly, and everyone runs away. Braugher stops briefly to shrug apologetically at Bayliss, and then the real credit sequence begins with "Brooklyn 99" restored.

And it's never brought up again.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

tarlibone posted:

I want the cold open for the first NBC season to be the opening credits redone, but this time it says "Baltimore 99," and instead of the brief snippets of silliness to introduce the characters, you see brief snippets of seriousness. Then when it starts, you get some shaky cam work and certain line deliveries repeated using obviously different takes to dramatic effect. But they're all scowling, and they're all saying crap to each other like, "Grumble, serious, serious, dark, serious, gritty" over and over again. You see Samberg and Braugher in an office, doing the whole serious dark bit, when Tim Bayliss storms into the main room, shouts "Get the hell out of here!" loudly, and everyone runs away. Braugher stops briefly to shrug apologetically at Bayliss, and then the real credit sequence begins with "Brooklyn 99" restored.

And it's never brought up again.

Also, in the episode proper, they have special guest star Richard Belzer.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

bunnyofdoom posted:

Also, in the episode proper, they have special guest star Richard Belzer.

I'm perfectly OK with that.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

tarlibone posted:

I'm perfectly OK with that.

Only is he's actually Det. Munch, bringing another show into that timeline

Batmasterson
Dec 7, 2010

Bang Bang Bang

Loutre posted:

Someone please tell this guy the good news!

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Metalshark posted:

Scully and Hitchcock punching each other's dicks repeatedly was hilarious.

The BUDDIES???

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

ElwoodCuse posted:

They just got the entire MCU, they should really slow down a little.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

ElwoodCuse posted:

Munch vs. Wunch

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI

Batmasterson posted:

Someone please tell this guy the good news!

I've never been so happy in my god damned life. gently caress yes B99.

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI

Regy Rusty posted:

Scroll up friend

I'm gonna cream.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Davros1 posted:

Believe me, if NBC had been doing better in the ratings, 30 Rock would've never made it out of the first season.

Remember how Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip was supposed to be a huge deal the same year 30 Rock debuted?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Remember how Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip was supposed to be a huge deal the same year 30 Rock debuted?

That was the weirdest development decision. Thank God for Sorkin being a crazy rear end in a top hat that no one can stand anymore. (The same going, I guess, for Matthew Perry.)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I was super into Studio 60 and I was upset when it was cancelled and thought 30 Rock was a lame knockoff. I now regret my actions after I watched 30 Rock a few years ago.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I think Sorkin learned a lot from Studio 60. I think its also when he was at his coke-iest, so that explains something.

That show had so many good individual moments though, its a shame the rest of was so far up its own rear end. Disaster Episode is still fun to rewatch too.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

The first 2 episodes of Studio 60 were great. Everything that followed was unmitigated recycled Sorkin branded trash.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

swickles posted:

I think Sorkin learned a lot from Studio 60. I think its also when he was at his coke-iest, so that explains something.

Cokiest Sorkin was the period between A Few Good Men and The West Wing; it was actually a coke bust after the end of West Wing's second season had wrapped that he sobered up, but then he became such an insane workaholic as a result that he was effectively fired after the fourth (?) season. Then for whatever reason a few years later NBC gave him a shot with Studio 60, which he promptly pissed on when everyone learned he was still the insane rear end in a top hat everyone knew.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Diaz and Santiago

Your to late!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Phylodox posted:

You mean they have their best season in years after switching networks and then re-pilot into a mostly-good new show that would've worked if they hadn't brought the previous main character back?

I mean, I'd really like the first half of that to happen.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Man that last season of scrubs as teachers was poo poo. Here the new scrubs are! Just eh you know, identical but young again!

datajugend fucked around with this message at 05:31 on May 14, 2018

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I loved how in the flashback "8 years ago" Diaz and Scully looked exactly the same

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Davros1 posted:

I loved how in the flashback "8 years ago" Diaz and Scully looked exactly the same

I liked the bangs on Santiago.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

The Hitchcock hair gag had me giggling, as well as Jake smashing a second window on Terry's van in his excitement.

Super glad NBC swooped in to save the show. Five seasons in, they've still got it!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

404notfound posted:

The Hitchcock hair gag had me giggling, as well as Jake smashing a second window on Terry's van in his excitement.

Super glad NBC swooped in to save the show. Five seasons in, they've still got it!

Do you think we'll get both a 6th season and a movie?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I think it could be neat to see them employ a Parks and Rec style time jump if the 6th is the final planned season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

While I don't want to be TOO optimistic, the statement from NBC made it sound like more than a pity wrap up season.