Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I started to binge this show's first season about a year ago, dropped it for no reason (I enjoyed it, so :wtc:) and now I'm catching up. I'm on my third Pimento episode and I enjoy him.

I love this goddamned show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Just finished season 7.

This show is like comfort food to me, and this season was no exception. I love it so much.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

sean10mm posted:

Brooklyn 99 basically presents everyone in the police outside the 99 core group as human monsters or turbo morons.

Also the fire department.

And all the federal agencies.

Including the post office.

I feel like the post office was the only one that's really been dunked on (dong'd on?); the fire dept stuff isn't that bad. I feel like it's just a few characters who are friendly-anti-FD.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

Which is weird as the post office is objectively good

Yeah, but Donger was a major dong.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

You don't have to relate to characters to enjoy a show, but goddamn... it helps.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

HookShot posted:

Well, my husband is not American and grew up almost exclusively on British TV shows, but yeah, the idea that every single TV show has to have relatable characters is a big one in America.

On the other hand, there are shows where it straight-up doesn't work for people. I stopped watching The Good Place because I hated the main character so much.

I can't watch it because of Jason, the monk. He's dumb in the worst way possible and incredibly irritating. Even the way he says everything is bad.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Was season 4 the one where everyone came over to Troy and Abed's place, and there were like 6 timelines? That was great.

Which seasons had the Law & Order, Conspiracy Theory, and Ken Burns/Blanket Fort episodes?

If literally any of those episodes were in s4, it's worth it.

The only season I didn't really bother with was the last one, mostly because it was on Yahoo and who bothered with that?

Edit: gently caress, I loved this so much

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juk9K1LaxP4

I guess everything I really loves was from seasons 2 and 3, but I legitimately don't recall s4 being that bad. It was Community; even the bad was just kind of "less good".

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 20, 2020

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Man, I got so confused here with what Titus y'all were referring to.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Sloth Life posted:

I wasn't the biggest Gina fan but she did bring a lot of antagonism to the team and I think it's missing that now. Probably too late to introduce a new team player who clearly isn't one, unless Hitchcock and Scully start to be a)more prominent and b) less goofballs and more grotesque.

Hitchcock is already fairly grotesque. I mean, Scully has the heart condition of gold, whereas Hitchcock has been the creepy, pervy one this whole time.

I'm not saying I'd change them, but he's already grotesque enough.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ok, so I've been trying to get my head around this since I first saw it but isn't Terry saying that white people should also help end white supremacy? I'm honestly not trying to be difficult or anything like that, that's just what my impressions were of the tweet. I've seen hundreds of replies complaining about it so I realize I'm most definitely wrong. I definitely don't want to be on the wrong side of this, but I'm trying to see the problem here, and it's difficult for me to do so. Help?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

socialsecurity posted:

Eliminating White Supremacy does not make Black Supremacy the law of the land. Even wording things like that frames it in what the racists currently think is going to happen.

Ahhhh ok. This makes sense, thanks.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Quebec's a lot whiter than NYC but Montreal sure as gently caress isn't, so the cast being so white is pretty disappointing.

Also this is really not a great time to adapt this show.

E: To be clear, adapting tv shows for foreign audiences is cool and I wish more places did it instead of just subtitling the show on Netflix. And Patrick Huard is a perfect choice for this since he's directed and written a bunch of action/crime/comedy stuff before.

But they ain't need to be so white.

I know it's set in Quebec City. Was it filmed there?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Montreal's kinda segregated even to this day, sadly. Although there's something neat about being in the "jewish part of town" or "latin part of town" and having all the businesses and even fashion reflect that culture.

My wife, who's half-Portuguese and from Montreal, has introduced me to some AMAZING food. Definitely my favourite. If you're ever in the area, check out Romados and their Portuguese chicken. Holy poo poo.

All that aside, isn't this filmed and set in Quebec City, not Montreal?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I was asked what my all-time favourite show was the other day, and I had to stop and think about it for a bit. Originally, I chose Space Ghost: Coast to Coast, but then I realized that, no, it's definitely Brooklyn Nine-Nine. I'm doing a rewatch right now and it's just perfectly delightful.

This show was my comfort show through last year when poo poo had just started to go crazy in the world, and while it remains crazy, this show remains wonderful. :allears:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'm trying to get a friend to watch B99, and she's trying to get me to watch P&R. She said to just start with season 3. I'm assuming by the previous posts here that that's correct? I might go back and watch the first 2 seasons once I know and appreciate the characters.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I feel like I've derailed this whole thread, and I probably wasn't clear; both my friend and I, if we end up enjoying the other's show, will definitely eventually watch every episode. It was more "what group of episodes should I start with to let this show grab me, if I'm unsure about it?". If I end up liking P&R, you can safely bet that I'll see every single episode.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

There's a ton of poo poo that would normally get everyone fired. The heists, Jimmy Jab games, etc.

It's a comedy. It's got good jokes.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Good joke, thinking a cop would be held accountable for sexually harassing someone.

Well, that's not what I meant but fair enough, I definitely see your point.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Kevin's right about the Monty Hall problem, btw. :colbert:

Do I have to teach any of you 7th grade statistics?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'm partial to the very, very long pause after "Wiest infection".

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I think my favourite episode is the Suicide Squad one. Just having CJ, the Vulture, and Wunch all together, with the insults and one liners flying around like crazy.

Especially the 'old leather chair' joke. Gets me every time.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Either Hitchcock and Scully win, or no one wins.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

No. Which means it will be even funnier when Scully and Hitchcock win

"It's ok, Jakey... A win for you or a win for Amy (retroactively) means a win for me, too."

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Mymla posted:

It is actually the Brooklyn 99 thread, which makes it an appropriate place to post about Brooklyn 99.

Should have signed your post with "Sincerely, Captain Raymond J Holt."

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I'm pretty sure Scully is already the heist grand champion. They started doing the math at the end of Walloweaster, but never followed through. Scully also assisted in the first two heists and helped Amy in the third one. All the show has to do is acknowledge it.

VINDICATIOOOOOOOON!!!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Dick Tracy is a cop, not a PI.

Mam, that franchise had everything you'd need to be successful (at least as far as I can tell) and yet never really took off. I mean, nowadays, no way, but back in the 80s/90s, it could've been huge.

He's basically "Yellow Cop Batman".

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

If there's anyone ITT in :canada: who wants to watch this show, but doesn't have cable, get the Citytv app.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

qirex posted:

I’m surprised Jake didn’t just outright suggest being a stay at home dad at the end of e4 instead of merely strongly hinting it.

I think (and hope) that they just find a good babysitter (Terry loves referrals!), and not make a big deal out of their situation as parents. It's a compressed season, so maybe each episode covers topics that might've been dragged out for longer otherwise?

Just give us a heist, please :ohdear:

I'd also love a Jimmy Jab games but I'll take whatever.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

The heist this season will be an actual criminal heist.

I think Jake's 5 months off will lead to him planning something more elaborate than usual.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I was telling my wife that it's best to imagine this show showcases a universe where there IS a decent and legit precinct of cops who genuinely want to do good and honest work, and it's the 99.

Also, I'm thinking that, like the plot from way earlier in the show, the 99 will get shut down eventually.

It'll be turned into a bakery, and Scully will be working there, loving life.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Where's the heist episode? :negative:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Why do you think the finale is going to be a full hour?

I just chalked that up to the fact that it's the finale.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Glad to see that Netflix is getting S8 on Sept 17th, at least in :canada: I've been watching it via Citytv, but I'm happy to be able to fully binge it in one place.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

swickles posted:

Actually, I can see John C McGinley getting fired for altering the data and The Vulture is his replacement.

This could make sense.

Also, where are Gina and Pimento?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Red Oktober posted:

Which they didn’t even think was a thing!

Just like the very real allergy to beakers.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I love the fact that it was essentially a really well done and well deserved clip-show-esque episode.

What a way to do it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

swickles posted:

The part with "have we ever been to the Brooklyn Bridge?" and then cutting to the credits for a second was great.

That was great. Also, I was hoping for Gina and Pimento and wasn't disappointed. Seeing Mlepnos was perfect.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Doltos posted:

Great finale but I could have done without Gina showing up and being a jerkoff like usual

I thought the cement joke was solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I thought the cement joke was solid.

I made a PUN! You see, cement is liquid until it's so-....