Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

Yond Cassius posted:

My best suggestion would be a locked sticky "main thread" that people can subscribe to. Each "campaign"/help-request gets its own thread, with a little mod introduction and the poster's request for help, and the OP there gets copied into the sticky with a link). After the campaign is over, the version in the sticky can be changed into a report on how it went, and a feel-good after-action report if everything works out as planned. That way, the main tracking thread doesn't get cluttered up with pledges and stuff, but people can still see what happened in each case if they want details.

It might be worth seeing if you can turn on the old E/N-style "no edits" rule for those threads.

This seems solid.

Foma posted:

Why are you planning on holding money if the idea is just to give it to someone when they need it?

Make it simple, when someone needs assistance they post a help/why thread or post and their Paypal/Venmo/Email Address/GoFundMe people directly give that person money based off their desire to help. Take the centralization out of the equation and all the problems melt away.

I was on board with the original concept and specifically liked the idea of a Patreon account because it automated the process of donating a small amount to the fund each month, which (for me) was a big plus. I recognize the issues with oversight of such a system though, and Yond Cassius' suggestion seems like probably the best alternative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread