Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe


OCC Thread.

Halcyon City. A golden oasis in the northeastern United States. It's towering buildings and metropolitan air is the inspiration for many songs, movies, and plays. It is also the home of the world's mightiest heroes. Titans and champions who do battle with the greatest of villains, often for the fate of the world itself!

Four generations of heroes live in this city and it has been shaped by the virtues and vices of each one. Today, a new generation of heroes seeks to prove themselves. And an opportunity has presented itself:

As a green gas pillows out from every alley way, the inhabitants of the city grow restless and terrified. They scream of bloody murder that is not present, of mutations of their own person that do not occur, and of monsters surrounding them with brutal intention that do not exist. Panic, fear, chaos. It's a powerkeg and, with but the sound of a gunshot, turns into a violent, brutal mob of chaos.

As this continues on and on, a figure rises up on a platform. A rather well dressed individual, but sex and gender are not recognizable. They lack a face, their body is androgynous, but one thing is clear: they're behind this.



"Halcyon City!", the person shouts with the gusto of a circus ring leader, "It is time for your favorite time of the day! All of you, on youtube, twitter, facebook, and those old foggies using TV and newspaper, it's time to get your fix of blood, fear, and chaos! The discord you feed on! The plight of your fellow man that you revel in! It's time for me, your humble ringer leader, the fabolous SATIN, to provide you with fun and thrills. And, of course, when the heroes arrive, a truly bloody end to their crackpot crusading career."

Taking a pause for effect, they point forward with their cane at a reporting crew already on sight. The camera men is sure to get them in center shot, "Let the chaos reign!"

It is time for you all to make your grand entrance! To turn from potential ideas to real characters! Strive forth from the mind's eye of your players and into text, become the heroes you were meant to be!

Zoro fucked around with this message at Oct 19, 2017 around 18:09

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe


gently caress, I labeled it shitpost on accident. I'll ask a mod to fix that.

SKINer
Sep 15, 2017




Secret Identity Roll posted:


I'm affirming Frog-Girl over sidney, That means 0 Mundane and +3 to Freak currently. From Orokos:

Secret Identity Roll: 2d6 8

So one of her obligations is lacking, but She also gains and Advantage from one as well.

I'll choose her internship. She was able to dig up info on Satin, knowing his powers, how he was caught previously, and his modus of operandi (so she can be one step ahead).

However, her Household chores is going to suffer, I guess this can come in the guise of not being able to keep up her Dormitory duties in Halcyon School for Girls, thanks to her extra curricular activities as Frog Girl.

Any who, on with the post...

Frog-Girl sighed, sitting in a crouch several feet above Satin as he bellowed out his threats, readjusting her green gloves. She did her best to stay out of sight by hiding behind a gargoyle now and then, but it was tough. She wanted to leap down and plant both her feet right into the back of his head. But no. Self control. Patience. She was apart of a team now. This was not the time to go solo and make an rear end of herself. Like the mayor.

She was here first, regardless of the extra research she did, due to the paper offices being just a stone throw away. Literally three leaps and a half and she was here. So she could understand the wait. Didn't help her suffer throught it, but she understood it.

Her cellphone was in her hand, her thumb itching to reopen the texting channel and asking Spectra, again, what was taking her so long. There was action to be had! It almost made Frog-Girl wish she told Miss Midnight who she was. At least then she could split between the two of them when it came to hassling them to hurry-up!

But the thought of Midnight knowing who she was... to be honest, she scared Frog-Girl. She was so taciturn... so serious...

She never really talked to Midnight much since the 'incident' with the thug in the warehouse. That was... something.

Sigh...

Great... all those cameras down there... so many opportunities to steal the show and instead she was stuck up here. Waiting.

...what an heroic entrance.

Halloween Jack
Sep 11, 2003

Let your word be "Yes, Yes" or "No, No"; anything more than this comes from the evil one.

quote:

The Legacy

Hero Name: Miss Midnight
Real Name: Bella Sable
Look: woman, white, comfortable clothing, modern costume, simple crescent moon insignia
Abilities: athletic perfection, Holmesian deduction, gadgetry

Labels
Danger -1
Freak 0
Savior +2
Superior +1
Mundane +1

Moves

Fight the good fight: When you pull your punches while directly engaging a threat, you can roll +Savior instead of +Danger. If you do, you cannot choose to impress, surprise, or frighten your foe.

Never give up, never surrender: When you take a powerful blow from someone with far greater power than you, use this move instead of the basic move. Roll + Savior. On a hit, you stand strong and choose one. On a 7-9, mark a condition.

- you get an opportunity or opening against your attacker
- you rally from the hit, and it inspires the team; add 1 Team to the pool
- you keep your attacker’s attention

On a miss, you go down hard but leave your opponent off balance and vulnerable.

Legacy

Your legacy is an important part of Halcyon City.

My great-great-uncle, Mr. Midnight, is still active and prominent in the city.
My father, The Midnight Man, is retired and quite judgmental.
Janus is the greatest opponent my family ever faced...and is still at large.

Whenever time passes, roll + Savior to see how the members of your legacy feel or react to your most recent exploits. Before rolling, ask the other players to answer these questions about your performance. Take -1 to the roll for each “no” answer:
- have you been upholding the traditions of your legacy?
- have you maintained the image of your legacy?
- have you made the other members of your legacy proud?

On a hit, one of them offers you meaningful encouragement, an opportunity, or an advantage. On a 7-9, another is upset with your most recent actions, and will make their displeasure known. On a miss, something you did stirred up the hornet’s nest—expect several members of your legacy to meddle with your life.



It starts as a dull roar in the distance. Then a massive black shape like a great beetle, barreling down the avenue. In moments the NightCycle screeches to a halt and its rider is vaulting off of it, a momentary shadow outlined in silver against the sun, lands in the middle of a maddened gang dragging an old man into an alleyway.

Fight the Good Fight!: 12

• resist or avoid their blows
• take something from them


She lashes out with a gleaming black rod and the riots fall to the sidewalk, clutching at knees and hands. Ms. Midnight hooks a respirator onto the bottom of her goggles. "Please remain calm!" she shouts through the mask, and immediately rolls her eyes at herself.

Another gunshot. She locates the sound and is on the gunman in seconds, tackling him against a car and stripping the pistol from his hands. With a flick of her wrists it lies in pieces on the ground.

"One riot, one woman" isn't going to work here. Better idea. A few quick taps at the console on her forearm elicits a series of pops and hisses from the NightCycle. A dozen small metal spheres bounce into the crowd and begin pumping out thick purple smoke. In the haze, she hopes, they won't be able to do anything more than blunder about and fall down. And if they can't see anything, perhaps they won't see what isn't there.

A few more taps and the image of a two silver crescent moons, back to back, appears on Frog-Girl's phone. "Frog-Girl. I don't have anything to clear the gas. Don't think it matters. They've been dosed. Smoke should reduce their ability to hurt each other. Still waiting on others. Do you have eyes on target?"

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at Oct 20, 2017 around 17:10

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009



Danger: +2 | Freak: +2 | Savior: -1 | Superior: +1 | Mundane: -1
Afraid | Hopeless | Insecure | Guilty | Angry | Location: Rooftops

quote:

Hero Name: Spectra
Real Name: Isabel Ruella
Playbook: The Bull
Look: Woman, Latina, wrapped hands, athletic clothing, simple costume
Abilities: Someone or something changed you, made you into a perfect weapon:
  • Superhumanly tough - When Spectra's hair turns blue, she can withstand incredible blows and defend against almost any attack.
  • Incredibly strong - When Spectra's hair turns red, she can perform incredible feats of strength and beat almost anyone into submission.
  • Uniquely skilled at fighting - When Spectra's hair turns yellow, she can wield almost any weapon with supreme expertise, and improvise her own weapons as well.
  • When her hair starts to combine the above colors - Watch out!

Labels
Danger +2
Freak +2
Savior -1
Superior +1
Mundane -1

Moves

In a china shop
When you directly engage a threat, you can cause significant collateral damage to your environment to choose an additional option, even on a miss.

Thick and thin skinned
Whenever you have Angry marked, take +1 ongoing to unleash your powers.

The Bull's Heart
You always have exactly one love and one rival. You can change your love or rival at any time; give the new subject of your affections or disdain Influence over you. Take +1 ongoing to any action that impresses your love or frustrates your rival.
  • Love: Frog-girl
  • Rival: Miss Midnight

Defender
When you leap to defend your love or rival in battle, roll + Danger instead of + Savior to defend them.

Team Moves

When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, make them your love or rival immediately to mark potential. If they are already your love or rival, take Influence over them and mark potential.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, give them Influence and hold 2. Spend that hold to help them as if it were Team in the pool.

Moment of Truth
This is what you do best. You let loose, all the pent up strength and rage and glee, and you break whatever stands in your way. You are a walking demolition crew. What can stand up to you? Nothing. Not buildings. Not structures. Not enemies. Nothing. Of course, now the people who changed you know exactly where to find you...

Howls of madness echo throughout the city - but above them, the sound of footsteps pound as I leap, twist, and whirl through the skyline. Of course, something finally happens in this city, and I'm the one stuck in line at the DMV! I'm never getting that learner's permit...

No matter - my hair burns a midnight blue as I give one final leap to land next to Frogs. "Sitrep?" It only takes a second to really figure it out - some kinda crazy gas is what's causing the madness. And the dude? in person is the reason why. I love it when the answer is clear as day. I gruffly reply to my own question, "Okay - you work on negating the gas. I'll take on Mr. End Boss."

I take a few steps out onto one of the gargoyles that Frogs has been hiding behind, then lean down and latch onto it. Hair still burning blue, I pull and rip it right off the building, then take a short hop off the edge with a grunt. As I fall downward toward the villain, I give out a holler - "Hey! Catch!"

Directly engaging Satin: 2d6+2 9
Gonna cause some damage to pick two: frighten the opposition, and create an opportunity for my allies

I chuck the gargoyle as hard as I can, then brace for impact with the hard concrete below. Luckily Satin's platform makes for a big target as the stone monster smashes not only where Satin's standing, but the entire structure. I stand as the debris settles around me, "Hey, just don't say that I throw like a girl, okay?"

Halloween Jack
Sep 11, 2003

Let your word be "Yes, Yes" or "No, No"; anything more than this comes from the evil one.



The squeal of a zipline is all the warning one of Satin's thugs gets before Ms. Midnight comes sailing above the roofline, her knee colliding with the back of his head. She lands on both feet, arriving as if for a manicure appointment. "I would never say that. I would say 'Do not throw tons of concrete down onto civilians.'" She begins adjusting her goggles in an attempt to scan through the dust and rubble. "Frog-Girl, keep an eye out for firearms, especially among civilians. Tongue disarm very effective."

SKINer
Sep 15, 2017



D: +1 F: +3 Sa: 0 Su: 0 M: +1

Watching Spectra lift and toss the Gargoyle was awe-inspiring. Frog-girl was strong, but this woman... geeez!

Midnight's orders posted:

"Frog-Girl, keep an eye out for firearms, especially among civilians. Tongue disarm very effective."

"Rodger that, M'am! Unlicensed firearms will be punished by a severe tongue lashing!"

She stayed at her perch, fighting the urge to watch Spectra kick rear end and instead scanned the immediate area with her senses. That gas was definitely hallucinogenic, making people see monsters and Midnight, along with Spectra, weren't exactly dressed like Care Bears...

And were the heck was Crimson Demon!?

No! Focus!

OOC posted:


Assessing the situation (Looking for weapons and other threats): 2d6 7

• what here is the biggest threat?

Basically, I'm asking beyond the obvious and looking for the subtle. Are there people with weapons? Is there a group of civilians that are about to do something stupid (like attack Spectra, for example)?

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe




As the purple mist comes through the crowd and stops their fear gas, Satin puts their cane on the ground. "Oh, here it goes, citizens: a hero has arrived in all their shining glory! Are you paying attention? Is your bloodlust burning yet? It's time for a show, people!"

A shadow forms over Satin. It grows quickly. Satin looks up quick enough to see the gargoyle coming towards them. With a quick leap, the gargoyle misses Satin.

Satin takes the Angry condition

As the gargoyle crashes through his platform, it falls to pieces into heaps on the floor. Satin, on the ground, dusts themself off. Due to their lack of nose and mouth, they have no fear of the purple mist. "Two heroes, count them, two heroes, people. Sorry, correction: two dead heroes."

There is a sudden seriousness in his voice. Their canes taps twice on the ground as it breaks away around them. The people in the mist begin to falls into what appears to be a bottomless pit beneath them. Satin themselves safe on a single pillar sticking out from the void.

"Midnight Junior, Crazy hair, can you save them all? Or will I add quite a few new notches to my cane today? Oh, what fun! What a good show today!"

Frog-Girl, the biggest threat is his cane. Satin often uses it as a triggering mechanism for their traps. Take it from them and they lose access to their traps.

Zoro fucked around with this message at Oct 22, 2017 around 21:49

animedragonfly
Sep 12, 2016


Crimson Demon

Danger: +0 | Freak: -1 | Savior: +2 | Superior: +0 | Mundane: +2
Afraid | Hopeless | Insecure | Guilty | Angry | Location: Alley way


Late was better than nothing.. He made it just in time to watch the bad guy dodge that gargoyle Spectra launched at it.. it made him smile but his attention turned to the people that seemed frozen in place they needed to get out of there .. he darted forward just as the floor fell away diving into the pit after them.. he shifted pulling a grappling hook from his belt and tossing it up to loop around a lamp post using his momentum to swing and snatch up person after person hooking them to another rope he had attached to the first .. he anchored the rope into the far wall leaving people to dangle like cloths on a line as he climbed up the other side..

"sorry I'm late.. " he called out to the group "did I miss anything? .." He was already fired up for this excitement mixing with nerves, the rush of doing something good. He pulled the sword from his back and turned towards the big bad


quote:

Save all the people: 2d6+2 12
Add one to the team pool for the 12


quote:

The Beacon
HERO NAME: Crimson Demon
REAL NAME: Seki Satoshi

Look:
• Man
• Asian
• Casual Clothing
• Stylish Costume

Abilities:
If you have powers, they're pretty minor, not noticeable. If you have skills, you carry the necessary equipment. Choose 2
□ Swords
□ Camouflage and stealth

Labels:
Freak -1
Danger 0
Savior +2
Superior 0
Mundane +2

Moves

□ Straight. Up. Creepin'.: When you scope out a person or place, roll + Mundane. On a 10+, ask 2. On a 7-9, ask 1.
- What happened here recently?- What is being concealed here?
- Who or what here is not what they seem?
- Whose place is this?
- What's my best way in/out?

On a miss, you find yourself in over your head. The GM will tell you why this is a bad spot.

□ No powers and not nearly enough training: You're always picking up new gear to keep yourself in the game. Whenever you pick up a new piece of gear, you can write it in as a new ability if this line is empty.

______________________________________
□ □ □

Treat the new piece of gear as if it were any other ability. When you use the gear in a novel and risky way, mark a box to roll + Mundane instead of + Freak to unleash powers with it. When you mark the third box, the gear is used up, lost, or recovered from you in the process

Drives

□ Lead the team successfully in battle
□ Punch someone you probably shouldn't
□ Save a teammate's life
□ Tell someone your true feelings for them

Team moves

When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, tell them how they're awesome and add 1 Team to the pool. If they tell you how you're awesome in return, add another Team to the pool.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, ask them to confirm or deny that you should be here. If they confirm it, mark potential and give them Influence over you. If they deny it, mark Angry and shift 1 Label up and 1 Label down, your choice.

Moment of Truth

This is the moment when you show them exactly why you belong here. You do any one thing, take out any one enemy, no matter how insane, no matter how ridiculous, because that's you. You burn bright and you burn hot, and their jaws are gonna drop when you're done. Of course, folks are gonna expect a lot more from you from this point out...

SKINer
Sep 15, 2017




"I'm going for the Cane! Crimson got the people, Midnight and Spectra, you two are clear!"

Satin had a way to draw attention, and this time it was their downfall, as Frog Girl saw them tap heir cane twice on the ground just before that pit opened. The time for staying on the sidelines were over, people were in danger.

She leaped forward into a freefall towards Satin, taking advantage of Spectra's earlier diversion. "Sorry to disappoint you, Silky, but I have better things to do tonight than die... or to be a part of your boring telecast. People turn the channel to something more entertaining... I heard paint was drying on channel seven!
Frog-Girl landed into a tuck roll, ending in a crouch and a perfect position to snap out her tongue towards their cane, snatching it from their grasp. She grabbed it, twirling it around.

"...hmmm. A half gram heavy on the back spin. Another Taiwanese knock-off. What's wrong? Had to cut budget on production costs? Amatuer!"

And she leaped away to stick onto a nearby wall. Now it was up to the others...

Ooc posted:

I understand is some of this post gets retconned, based on my Unleash roll. Let me know GM.

Unleashing her powers (Leaping/Strength/Holding her breath): 2d6+3 11


Edited as per request. The 11 on the unleash roll is now for disarming Satin using her tongue.

SKINer fucked around with this message at Oct 26, 2017 around 03:56

Halloween Jack
Sep 11, 2003

Let your word be "Yes, Yes" or "No, No"; anything more than this comes from the evil one.



Midnight's boots scrape against the edge of the rooftop as she dashes to the edge in a panic. Before she can even ready her grapple, Frog-Girl are catching hapless civilians and hanging them neatly like so much laundry. The tight fist clenched in her chest loosens its grip. Memo to self: Glider cape. Then Frog-Girl's words get through to her.

She cracks a wicked smile when Frog-Girl does her thing and pulls the cane from Satin's grip. She retracts her Nightstick into a short rod and holsters it, then hurls herself at Satin.

Fight the Good Fight: 7

create an opportunity for your allies

With a flick of her wrists she hurls three sharp crescent-shaped shuriken, just to open Satin's defenses, and leaps into them with a flying knee strike. She slips, bobs, and traps punches and counters with sharp body blows. In the midst of a combination she suddenly slides between Satin's legs and pops up with a kick to their back that sends them lurching towards Spectra like a stumbling drunk. "Spectra. Do what you do best."

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at Oct 26, 2017 around 02:14

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe




As Crimson Dragon saved the people from their trap, Satin only chuckled. "Good show, boy. But, I do have a second act." But, as they lifted their cane, Frog-Girl arrived and did her act: taking it from them. "Well, this certainly is not how I planned..." And before they could finish, Ms. Midnight strove in and attacked, send them towards Spectra.

Satin takes the Insecure condition.

"Well, this, this can't stand!" Satin screamed as they were pushed backed. Turning in air, they threw fear gas at Ms. Midnight. "Have a nice freak-out, you wannabe of a washed up loser hero!"

Ms. Midnight takes the Afraid condition.

However, they still found themselves flying towards Spectra.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009



Danger: +2 | Freak: +2 | Savior: -1 | Superior: +1 | Mundane: -1
Afraid | Hopeless | Insecure | Guilty | Angry | Location: Rooftops

I grin as my teammates effectively stop Satin's antics, and the grin gets even wider as Midnight sends the villain flying my way. I stretch out my right arm and wave it around in a windmill. I give Midnight a nod, "My pleasure."

Satin punch (Directly engage): 2d6+2 8
Going with frightening the opposition

I take a running leap and tackle Satin with a flying leap, then whirl the villain around like a whip and send him flying into a nearby brick wall.

SKINer
Sep 15, 2017





Zoro posted:

...

"Well, this, this can't stand!" Satin screamed as they were pushed backed. Turning in air, they threw fear gas at Ms. Midnight. "Have a nice freak-out, you wannabe of a washed up loser hero!"

Ms. Midnight takes the Afraid condition.

...

Frog Girl didn't have time to admire her handy work, nor did she have time to watch Spectra lay the smackdown. "Midnight! Don't breath!"

In terror, she watched as Ms. Midnight took a dose of Satin's gas and the sight twisted her stomach in knots. She read about what this gas could do... and it wasn't pretty.

With a flipping leap, she made a three point landing in front of Midnight. "Midnight? You're okay?"

This wasn't good. Midnight was the closest thing to a leader that they had. She goes down, Satin would all but nullify the advantage they gained!

Walking up, slowly, towards Midnight, Frog Girl had her arms up in a passive posture. She didn't know how deep the gas got her. "Come on Midnight, you're stronger than this... pull yourself together!"

ooc posted:


Hopefully, this qualifies for Comfort/Support. If not, let me know what more is needed, GM.

Comforting Midnight (+1 Mundane): 2d6+1 10


If Midnight opens up to Frog Girl, I'll add 1 to the Team Pool. Also, as a reminder, she can mark potential, clear a condition, or shift labels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 11, 2003

Let your word be "Yes, Yes" or "No, No"; anything more than this comes from the evil one.



Afraid | Hopeless | Insecure | Guilty | Angry | Location: Rooftops

Midnight feels a blow as the gas hits her face. Is that all you've got? Then green comes in around the edges until it fills her field of vision and--her. Panic is a just a sensation she was trained to control. She presses the mental button that operates her adrenal gland, and nothing happens. She can hear herself gasping. She can't feel herself gasping. She must have fallen to her knees.

what's wrong what's wrong what's wrong with you

The green gas is speaking to her, a voice hidden behind every plume of smoke. A figure comes into focus beyond the fog. Satin? No, Janus, wielding the same rapier that nearly killed her father, once. He's coming for her and she can't do more than paw at the concrete underneath her. She slings a crescent dart, backhand. Sloppy. It vanishes into the smoke.

You've failed. You're a failure and now you're going die a failure. Janus' smiling mask doesn't move, but she knows the face beneath is smiling, too. He pirhouettes and turns his back to her, showing the same smiling mask on the back of his head. When he turns back around he is her father.

You should have known better. I should have known better. You're not even my daughter. My blood is strong. Stronger than

"...this! Pull yourself together!"

It isn't her father. It isn't his black mask or his coal-black hair that she never had. It's Frog-Girl's goofy helmet. Bella grabs hold of her and pulls her self up--one foot slips. She can't stop shaking.

"S-sorry. Thought you were my dad. Good save." She hobbles toward Satin's current resting place in a heap of bricks, leaning on Frog-Girl for support. Then she fumbles with her Nightstick, extends it to use as a cane. Her heart is still pounding, but her gaze bears down on Satin.

"Was that the plan? Throw a stick and see how we fetch it? Prick us to see if we bleed? This wasn't a rampage."

Pierce the Mask: 9

what are you really planning?

"More like a cry for attention. You are not even interesting. I heard scarier psych profiles in my bedtime stories, you clown. The only question is, why us?"

  • Locked thread