Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Max Wilco posted:

Anyone here use Marketplace.TF? The other night, I bought a couple of cheap Stranges from the Steam Community Market with the handful of change I had left on my Steam account. Do you need to have Steam Guard active to use it? It looks like it's part of Scrap.TF, which I've used before, which was recommended in the thread.

I haven’t used it in a long time, but when I did you didn’t need steam guard enabled. You just connect your account to the website then a bot will automatically do the trade. It’s pretty seamless, or at least it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Team Fabulous 2 Reanimated: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPV_3jkEpqI

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

I haven’t used it in a long time, but when I did you didn’t need steam guard enabled. You just connect your account to the website then a bot will automatically do the trade. It’s pretty seamless, or at least it was.

I reactivated Steam Guard just to be safe. I was hoping maybe I could get some cheap Tour of Duty tickets, along with some other stuff.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jul 6, 2020

Zookeeper Steve
Jul 21, 2008
I dunno if any of you have messed around with jump maps but apparently this single level (intended for demoman) took this guy like 10 hours to do for a tool assisted showcase for the first run as soldier and it's pretty insane to me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15QAeAcdNm8&t=1141s

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i got somewhat decent at some jump maps. its like kz in cs to me, a very fun subgame that sometimes i play for sessions longer than the main game

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

TF2 Classic is ridiculously fun and has just enough good features and weapons carried over from modern TF2 without any of the cruft

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Simsmagic posted:

TF2 Classic is ridiculously fun and has just enough good features and weapons carried over from modern TF2 without any of the cruft

alt take: tf2 classic loving sucks rear end, it's filled with people playing terrible maps and the VIP game mode is (as i'm sure you could have guessed) incredibly awful. It's payload but the bomb is a coward

lots of 32-64 player servers, a couple 24/7 2forts, no one playing badlands or granary

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Grapplejack posted:

lots of 32-64 player servers, a couple 24/7 2forts, no one playing badlands or granary

So, the standard TF2 awfulness

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Add in proximity mines, curving rockets and hydro. It’s very far from being “2007 TF2” or TFC in TF2 clothes.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
I like it. 4 team battles are stupid chaotic fun although it's really hard to tell team colors apart sometimes, especially in certain lighting.

The new weapons are pretty cool, though the spy tranq gun can eat my whole rear end

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
I hope they slowly add more of the not-bad guns and playstyles from modern tf2 instead of being stuck in the time period right after the kritzkrieg came out, with a few beta tf2 weapons. Maybe they should do community votes in discord or something so that only the stuff the community likes gets in.

The game feels a lot better to run thanks to all the cut out bloat. I did have an issue with one of the graphics settings causing the system to spaz out until changed.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I just like that there's a version of the game I can play without unlocks I've really grown to not like over the years. The VIP mode is definitively awful though.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I can't think of any unlock in tf2 I have strong negative feelings about. the vaccinator gets sorta close I guess.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Almost all unlocks are either fine or just not useful, very few are unfun to play against unless your team eats balls.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I have to come clean in that I really don't like the Demoknight as a thing that was heavily developed. Not because I think it's overpowered or I get killed by it, but because I think it's a really boring playstyle to play against.

I've also grown really tired of tryhard Trolldiers that just suck at it no matter how much they try.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

tbh you can kinda tell what classes the devs favor based on the unlocks

like they're big fans of sniper and demo, since not only does sniper have the huntsman plus a totally unique weapon, he has one of the only melee replacements, and the demo gets 3 new items, two of them completely unique.

tbh if I had my way I'd remove the RPG because it loving sucks and add the backburner and the medic crossbow since those two really open up playstyles for pyro and medic. gunslinger too maybe? Maybe have demoknight be its own class? I can't think of any other class weapons that are like, super necessary or open up playstyles in a fun way except maybe the rescue ranger but also gently caress that thing

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
If we were to ever get a Team Fortress 3, yeah I could definitely see Demo Knight become it's own class, possibly for Huntsman Sniper too

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Also Friendly Heavies and Spycrabs

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Almost all unlocks are either fine or just not useful, very few are unfun to play against unless your team eats balls.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
The lack of demoknights is the single biggest reason I'm installing this mod. They've become so tedious and confusing to read with all the assorted weapon slot bonuses, plus I actually miss playing against stock demos.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Almost all unlocks are either bad or awful, very few are not poo poo to play against. useless team. i eat balls.

treat fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jul 10, 2020

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Baron von Eevl posted:

I miss the old loch-n-load and persian persuader. I used to run LnL, sticky, PP on payload offense - the LnL reduced the downside of the PP, you don't need to refill ammo constantly if you aren't spamming rollers, and the PP made you significantly more tanky especially if you could take out a nest and use all the fragments as health packs. The change to 2HK made it much less worthwhile to take and the change to the PP finished that loadout off entirely, now there is no reason to take PP unless you're demoknight and frankly the PP sucks so badly now there is no reason to take it for that either.

I know why they did it but I miss my Scunt Fucker 9000.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I remember playing the old LnL once defending Goldrush 1 right after Blu capped A and popping out around that corner in the tunnel and lobbing one grenade, which randomly critted, into the full Blu team pushing the cart. It was a hell of a gong.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

the only two unlocks I would consider complete garbage and should be immediately removed are the vaccinator and the wrangler

gently caress the wrangler

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

tbh you can kinda tell what classes the devs favor based on the unlocks

like they're big fans of sniper and demo, since not only does sniper have the huntsman plus a totally unique weapon, he has one of the only melee replacements, and the demo gets 3 new items, two of them completely unique.

tbh if I had my way I'd remove the RPG because it loving sucks and add the backburner and the medic crossbow since those two really open up playstyles for pyro and medic. gunslinger too maybe? Maybe have demoknight be its own class? I can't think of any other class weapons that are like, super necessary or open up playstyles in a fun way except maybe the rescue ranger but also gently caress that thing

I like weapons like the Crusader's Crossbow, Sydney Sleeper, and the Homewrecker, since they're still viable weapons (well, maybe not the Homewrecker so much), but also serve a support tool for your team when the situation arises.

I've yet to try playing Team Fortress 2 Classic. Does it have a big install size, and is easy to install/uninstall?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Vaccinator is great because it makes pubstompers extremely mad without really having a major impact otherwise

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The vaccinator only works against single enemies (and even then only if they can only do one damage type and frankly a medic + someone else should be able to cream one single enemy player) and teams with either extremely lovely composition or who can't push together. In the former it'll stop a team running only one damage type and the latter is basically just the "works against single enemies" thing again only repeatedly.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
My experience with the vaccinator is that it's primarily the tool of the pubstomping duo.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Max Wilco posted:

I like weapons like the Crusader's Crossbow, Sydney Sleeper, and the Homewrecker, since they're still viable weapons (well, maybe not the Homewrecker so much), but also serve a support tool for your team when the situation arises.

I've yet to try playing Team Fortress 2 Classic. Does it have a big install size, and is easy to install/uninstall?

it is kind of funny that I used to use the crossbow a ton before it was buffed and then I got used to using the overdose to let me bail when a pocket overcommits/punish chasing scouts/etc and now I don't use it now that it's good.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Paul MaudDib posted:

I miss the old loch-n-load and persian persuader. I used to run LnL, sticky, PP on payload offense - the LnL reduced the downside of the PP, you don't need to refill ammo constantly if you aren't spamming rollers, and the PP made you significantly more tanky especially if you could take out a nest and use all the fragments as health packs. The change to 2HK made it much less worthwhile to take and the change to the PP finished that loadout off entirely, now there is no reason to take PP unless you're demoknight and frankly the PP sucks so badly now there is no reason to take it for that either.

I know why they did it but I miss my Scunt Fucker 9000.

One of my best memories of this old game is with the pre-nerf Caber and Splendid Screen - using the Screen would allow you to cancel your charge early, only exerting a fraction of the charge bar, allowing you to charge again much sooner than currently. The Caber used to demolish almost everything.

I think I played using that loadout for a week straight (lots of 24/7 Degroot Keep) and then Valve nerfed it.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

No jetpack, no sale

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

No jetpack, no sale

For real. As a truculent pyro main, the jetpack/backburner combo has turned me into a death machine. I just wish there was a strange jetpack for stomping kills.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I respect the jetpack/backburner route, but I don't think I'll ever be able to leave my scorch shot/backburner combo. The scorcher gives you just enough extra mobility to make dumb jumps nobody expects for sneaking in behind and it's also great for annoying the poo poo out of the other team from across the map. Plus you can use it with hitsounds to peek around corners like a soldier.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Hey if it were up to me everybody could have all their favorite loadouts back but that means you all have to put up with my sandman and flying guillotine combo :colbert:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Hell yeah do it

also make the axtinguisher worthwhile again because I got this killstreak strange festive one doing nothing for me right now

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Spamming the scorchshot into groups of enemies it's incredibly effective/annoying. Especially when they are pushing through a choke.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
If it just set a bunch of people on fire and did the same damage it wouldn't be nearly as fun, it's the knockback that really elevates it. When you hit someone who's in the air and already on fire and that extra push just sends them flying, that's :discourse:

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Baron von Eevl posted:

Hell yeah do it

also make the axtinguisher worthwhile again because I got this killstreak strange festive one doing nothing for me right now

It's probably just because I've played TF2 on-and-off over the years, and dropped it for a few years, but I never got any of the miscellaneous special weapon varieties until recently when I started buying stuff with Scrap.TF and Marketplace.TF. It could also be that I've not really spent that much money on the game, so I have an inventory loaded with unopened crates because I didn't want to spend $2.50 on keys. Of course now, I have bought a couple of keys, but I've also gotten some super-cheap stranges thanks to Marketplace.TF, along with some slightly cheaper Tour of Duty tickets. Still, I don't have any Killstreak weapons, or Unusuals (which are damned expensive).

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think that axe was worth like 10 keys when I opened it, then it got nerfed...

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Just had a Halloween 2019 crate drop. We're literally 75% of the way towards Halloween 2020.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Been playing a lot of MvM recently. I bought a bunch of Tour of Duty tickets on Marketplace.TF, in the hopes to get an Australium weapon. It's actually been pretty fun, and isn't too terribly difficult, I'm guessing because some of the people who are playing it have run through it a couple-hundred times, and know what to expect. The frustrating thing is that the only Tour that people seem to play regularly is Two Cites, as there's a chance for both Australiums and Killstreak Kits. I've gotten a few regulars kits and Specialized fabricators, but nothing special so far.

What I really want is an Unusual hat, but it seems like you've either got to get lucky with crate/case unlocks, or learn how to play the trading game, which sounds like a whole process on its own. My tentative idea was to keep at MvM and see if I get an Australium, then (given what weapon I get), trade it off for an Unusual.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Just had a Halloween 2019 crate drop. We're literally 75% of the way towards Halloween 2020.

I noticed that, too. I know a massive update is still up in the air, but I would have thought they'd at least release some new cosmetics for Summer 2020. The Steam Workshop for TF2 is packed to the gills with tons of really cool looking items and cosmetics done by the community. I would think Valve would pick from those regularly to add in new items for people to trade or spend money on. Is there some kind of specific acceptance process for workshop items?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Statistically you're probably better off just buying keys on the market when there's a steam sale and people get desperate to unload them, then trade those for an unusual directly. Not to mention the saved labor costs.