Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Warpy posted:

https://www.teamfortress.tv/3521/how-to-make-videos-for-tf2

this might help you get started

it's an old guide but still works afaik

I have not had a chance to follow this guide yet, but looking over it it is exactly what I was after :D I honestly have gigs of demos back from when I was actually ok at the game and as they are auto recorded with time stamps it would be neat to grab a few clips for posterity.

ArfJason posted:

As a poster pointed out i used to use nvidias shadowplay and now radeons instant capture, which let you capture the last x time of play (you can configure the length)

This could be useful for me going forward as well! Thank you :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Does anyone still have that picture of the really terrible Steam workshop submission? It was supposed to be spiked armor for the scout; but it looked like someone made it in Blender in 5 minutes.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Ariong posted:

Does anyone still have that picture of the really terrible Steam workshop submission? It was supposed to be spiked armor for the scout; but it looked like someone made it in Blender in 5 minutes.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Yes!!! Thank you!

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Ariong posted:

Yes!!! Thank you!

It took me a bit to find the Workshop page, but here it is, in all of its' glory:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=72262091

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

For future reference its called the Madcap and it's like a triple-entendre name for that work of art.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Also I believe the submission is just that image, there is no model.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's only topped by the 'gun and capri sun' page for witch doctor from dota, in my mind. i don't know if it even exists anymore.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Johnny Joestar posted:

it's only topped by the 'gun and capri sun' page for witch doctor from dota, in my mind. i don't know if it even exists anymore.

Think again

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

hell YES

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
you know that thing when another player recognizes youre alright at the game and as such tries to impress you by going after you.

i complimented a dude on his spy game, and when the map changed a couple times we were on opposing teams. I dominated him (i was playing pyro) and then he focuses me for the following maps, even getting a medic to pocket him as pyro, and lastly in a game where i have the most lag switches spy and is especially on the hunt for me. i managed to record clip from that game where i do everything right as im cornered by a heavy but i lag midway thru my escape and as such he still manages to kill me. I'm so loving pissed, man

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

If there is a Kunai spy on the enemy team, I’m irrationally obligated to switch to backburner pyro and sit on him until he switches classes or ragequits. gently caress the kunai in casual, holy poo poo my team keeps feeding because they don’t understand to just sit perfectly still when the spy goes for an epic trickstab.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

If there is a Kunai spy on the enemy team, I’m irrationally obligated to switch to backburner pyro and sit on him until he switches classes or ragequits. gently caress the kunai in casual, holy poo poo my team keeps feeding because they don’t understand to just sit perfectly still when the spy goes for an epic trickstab.

I did something like that as I was tracking a spy through the bottom of the first sewer in Upward. I knew HE knew i was there but i tried to play it off like im just gonna keep following and as i went up the stair i just glued my back to that corner and laughed as he butter knifed me in the face like 3 times.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Hihohe posted:

I did something like that as I was tracking a spy through the bottom of the first sewer in Upward. I knew HE knew i was there but i tried to play it off like im just gonna keep following and as i went up the stair i just glued my back to that corner and laughed as he butter knifed me in the face like 3 times.

see this is when I punish you for your team's stupidity by just pulling out the diamondback and critting you twice while you try and chew through my 200+ health

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.
I've dominated kunai wielding trickstabber Spy mains before as shotgun Heavy because I'd just stand still and shoot them whenever they tried to get an epic strafestab on me. It was also my go-to strat to deal with lag/interp abusing Spies when they were a thing. It's dumb and they don't expect it because it's so dumb. :haw:

Disclaimer: doesn't work quite as well when the Spy is smart and just shoots you with his gun instead

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Just standing still is the ultimate meta move for a lot of situations. Mainly spys, snipers and pyros.

You ever fought a pyro as a Rocket launcher only soldier? if theyve been nailing those reflects but still havent killed you just stand still and dont shoot. Theylle either grab out thier secondary which you can jump on or they'll psych themselves ups so much they'll lose their reflect game.

its hilarious

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
It’s super frustrating to see people switch from a loaded weapon to melee a spy. Like spies are toast if you stay out of melee range and, you know, shoot them. I play on a community server that is mainly KOTH and PLR maps. There are two pretty good spies who usually top score because they are pretty consistent with trick stabs. I almost always get multiple doms on them by just staying out of melee range as scout.

Last night, on Suijin, one of the spy mains was playing and got cornered by 2 snipers, another scout, a soldier, and myself. We were on the far side away from the point with the two medium health packs. They all took out melees and proceeded to get chain stabbed. He tried to run up the stairs to the long roof area, I put two 60 damage shots into him before he got onto the stairs. I took a wide angle then pressed s knowing he was going to try to jump and stair stab me because he’s a spy main. I just fell off the stairs and watched him land awkwardly before I murdered him. In a 5v1 he killed 4 for being absolute idiots, and easily died because I just stayed at mid range and took at advantage of having a better weapon.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

I dont know what i like about this screenshot. I just like it

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Remember, when you kill any trickstabbing spy after he fails to trickstab you, it is your god-given duty to shake your mouse left and right while hitting the "NO" voice bind. :sun:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Last night, on Suijin, one of the spy mains was playing and got cornered by 2 snipers, another scout, a soldier, and myself. We were on the far side away from the point with the two medium health packs. They all took out melees and proceeded to get chain stabbed.

The best part about this is that friendly targets take priority for absorbing your melee hits over hostiles. Using melee in a many-friendly-to-one-hostile situation is the worst possible idea, even if it's not a trickstabbing spy. :haw:

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Remember, when you kill any trickstabbing spy after he fails to trickstab you, it is your god-given duty to shake your mouse left and right while hitting the "NO" voice bind. :sun:

I try to do this but I always end up accidentally doing the "charge me" voiceline instead. :(

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Butt Detective posted:

I try to do this but I always end up accidentally doing the "charge me" voiceline instead. :(

if you are a medic this is fine; as a medic it is YOUR god-given duty to scream CHARGE ME HERR DOKTOR or READY FOR THE CHARGE HERR DOKTOR constantly

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

this is my method (its timestamped):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXu0QcN5Qts&t=60s

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
in retrospect theres a couple times i should have gotten owned but still, feels good to let them know in allchat how not impressed i am lol

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 8 days!)

yeah that's my go to as well, either that or just "lol"

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

another good one is "reminder: spy has a gun"

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

another good one is "reminder: spy has a gun"

this is what I use when I'm playing spy and someone presses their back against a wall or wears a razorback. I don't bother going for trickstabs on anyone who dies in 3 revolver shots

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lB4UL6L8Bpk

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I randomly saw this vid from 2016. The eureka effect exploit that let engies teleport out of spawn in set up time.
The best bit was how badly is messes up dustbowl, locking people in spawns etc (it's a couple of mins into the vid).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRYMKrigr_U

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Beaten. Need to read]

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Apparently Valve threw out a random update today adding round timers to Powerhouse

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I'm really, really hoping they ended up hiring MasterComms and she's just picking off the low hanging fruit.

I know it's futile :sigh:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

cock hero flux posted:

by the way, the sniper needs to exist in its current form as a way to punish medics for existing, gently caress medics

This is why the Crusader's Crossbow exists.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

if you are a medic this is fine; as a medic it is YOUR god-given duty to scream CHARGE ME HERR DOKTOR or READY FOR THE CHARGE HERR DOKTOR constantly

It's your top-notch ability to use another voice line in order to mask the fact that you now have Ubercharge.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
a bit too showy and distracting with some of the motion graphics but you can't deny the effort and quality. The audio is bust so he really needs to get a better mic and learn some eq, but id keep an eye on this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYo2gN4nq2A

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
On the exploit tip. I remember being banned from a community server for building a sentry underneath the map at C on gravelpit. It could shoot the red team through the floor texture as they came out of spawn but they couldn't see it.

In the blu spawn you place a tele through the fence to the out of bounds bit of the map sort of like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8O-fpqtAOc

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
personally i couldnt get enough of the quantum crouch/crouch lock exploit, especially on frontier. that poo poo was so much fun to pull off

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

ArfJason posted:

a bit too showy and distracting with some of the motion graphics but you can't deny the effort and quality. The audio is bust so he really needs to get a better mic and learn some eq, but id keep an eye on this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYo2gN4nq2A

He makes some good points, though I'm not sure I agree with his suggestion to buff Spy's base HP to 150

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
I really want to play more of this but my internet is running worse than usual. Heres clips from like a week ago, and you can see connection problems sprinkled around (and those are just the ones i put to video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCHwHZ57zKA

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Airblast kills are a pretty serious contender for the best feeling thing to pull off in TF2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Roth posted:

Airblast kills are a pretty serious contender for the best feeling thing to pull off in TF2

Hard disagree. Negation mechanics in a fast fps, especially one as wonky as airblast, don’t feel fun. Obviously they are needed because pyro is such a poo poo character otherwise, but it’s still a bad thing in a game.