Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zookeeper Steve
Jul 21, 2008
watching this guy do a 12 hour single segment speedrun of hundreds of demoman jump maps. the jrpg of explosive jumping
https://twitch.tv/zike1017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Pretty hosed up for a guy with a Sherman gangtag to be talking poo poo about pyro.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Hard disagree. Negation mechanics in a fast fps, especially one as wonky as airblast, don’t feel fun. Obviously they are needed because pyro is such a poo poo character otherwise, but it’s still a bad thing in a game.

If we were talking about airblast just to delete the projectile, I'd agree, but timing and aiming your click to redirect your opponent's projectile back at them and managing to hit them with it, is incredibly satisfying.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Ditocoaf posted:

If we were talking about airblast just to delete the projectile, I'd agree, but timing and aiming your click to redirect your opponent's projectile back at them and managing to hit them with it, is incredibly satisfying.

The new airblast is incredibly wonky and doesn’t really require much aiming. It’s literally a giant square hit box that can redirect without even looking directly at the enemy, or looking at them from behind. It’s all kinds of broken. Again negation mechanics like airblast, slows, and stuns are incredibly bad for a fast paced FPS.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
shamelessly stolen from :reddit:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/667990071571382292/817182479727198238/How_it_feels_being_a_TF2_player-ixvp4tgxiwk61.mp4

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

The new airblast is incredibly wonky and doesn’t really require much aiming. It’s literally a giant square hit box that can redirect without even looking directly at the enemy, or looking at them from behind. It’s all kinds of broken. Again negation mechanics like airblast, slows, and stuns are incredibly bad for a fast paced FPS.

The projectile still goes in the direction you're aiming when you right-click, right? Requires at least as much aiming as shooting a rocket in the first place does. Granted it should require more aiming/positioning to actually catch the rocket in your blast, and I can accept the idea that that aspect is too forgiving.

But it's still satisfying to right-click exactly as the rocket reaches you, and be aiming at the right place at that moment so that the rocket ends up nailing the person who shot it. You can't hesitate to line up your shot, you're firing rockets at your opponent's schedule.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Ditocoaf posted:

The projectile still goes in the direction you're aiming when you right-click, right? Requires at least as much aiming as shooting a rocket in the first place does. Granted it should require more aiming/positioning to actually catch the rocket in your blast, and I can accept the idea that that aspect is too forgiving.

But it's still satisfying to right-click exactly as the rocket reaches you, and be aiming at the right place at that moment so that the rocket ends up nailing the person who shot it. You can't hesitate to line up your shot, you're firing rockets at your opponent's schedule.

The reflected projectile goes where your crosshair is pointing yes. And old airblast also hosed up constantly, like due to how it did its los calculations it could be reflected into someone *behind* you. There was a funny clip of a spy getting owned by it. Airblast has never been very well executed technically which is a shame. I think what might be too much conceptually about airblast is the rocket turning into a minicrit. If you point blank a soldier they take the already considerable damage of a close range rocket and you add the minicrit on top and its misery for them. If they could make it so it doesnt minicrit but ignores falloff (aka just did the regular rocket damage at any distance) itd be better. I still dont mind cause then the skill is in identifying a competent opponent then outfaking them to coax out a badly timed airblast or rocket depending on which end of the flamethrower you are. Plus theres counters with shotties and such. I do get why it sucks to be on the receiving end. All your damage being gone in an instant sucks but thats why i always jump without shooting to fake pyros out and own them. (Cause im such a fuckin badass)

Personally i think airblast loving rocks because if youre skillful you can make a decisive turnaround. What is much more bullshit to me is how easy it is to spam to get people off of caps. Ubers imo are fine to be airblastchained cause the advantage is still on the ubered player to mow down the pyro.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

As far as online multiplayer fps games are concerned, tf2's not particularly fast paced. Characters move slow, rockets move slow, weapons ate generally not rapid fire bullet hoses, and respawn timers are relatively high.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

ArfJason posted:

The reflected projectile goes where your crosshair is pointing yes. And old airblast also hosed up constantly, like due to how it did its los calculations it could be reflected into someone *behind* you. There was a funny clip of a spy getting owned by it. Airblast has never been very well executed technically which is a shame. I think what might be too much conceptually about airblast is the rocket turning into a minicrit. If you point blank a soldier they take the already considerable damage of a close range rocket and you add the minicrit on top and its misery for them. If they could make it so it doesnt minicrit but ignores falloff (aka just did the regular rocket damage at any distance) itd be better. I still dont mind cause then the skill is in identifying a competent opponent then outfaking them to coax out a badly timed airblast or rocket depending on which end of the flamethrower you are. Plus theres counters with shotties and such. I do get why it sucks to be on the receiving end. All your damage being gone in an instant sucks but thats why i always jump without shooting to fake pyros out and own them. (Cause im such a fuckin badass)

if I was President of TF2 I would make reflected projectiles only minicrit on the original shooter or medics attached to them, the rest of their team takes regular damage. if you gently caress up you pay the price but your team doesn't get gibbed from across the map because you fed the pyro.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Lol thats a possibility too. Im just glad we all agree my frags are loving sick as hell every single one of them

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Like how is it possible i airblasted a rocket into a soldier im like centimeters away from making contact with? It physically shouldnt make sense but I guess im just that fantastic.

Those reflects where you dont even see the projectile spawn make me go mwah. Flawless timing like im daigo vs justin

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

ArfJason posted:

I really want to play more of this but my internet is running worse than usual. Heres clips from like a week ago, and you can see connection problems sprinkled around (and those are just the ones i put to video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCHwHZ57zKA

what is this music and why does it sound so familiar

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
Airblasts actually own because you get that deep BONG hitsound when it lands and that's the poo poo I live for.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Colapops posted:

what is this music and why does it sound so familiar

It's from Shovel Knight, I can pick that out instantly. I think it's from the level leading up to Plague Knight.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Ariong posted:

It's from Shovel Knight, I can pick that out instantly. I think it's from the level leading up to Plague Knight.

Specifically its the remix from specter knights campaign, titled aqua vitae
https://youtu.be/pZEvg7qVzdo

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Baron von Eevl posted:

As far as online multiplayer fps games are concerned, tf2's not particularly fast paced. Characters move slow, rockets move slow, weapons ate generally not rapid fire bullet hoses, and respawn timers are relatively high.

Compared to arena shooters sure, but the vast majority of shooters out there are substantially slower.

Any faster shooters, A) don’t have stun mechanics, and B) are mostly small niche communities that barely have a player base anymore. I say that as someone who grew up playing Quake and this game’s progenitor mod.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The only "shooter" I've seen that's slower than TF2 is Mechwarrior Online. What games are you thinking of?

All the milspec shooters have much faster time-to-kill, same with all the battle royales (although those feel way slower because 90% of the gameplay is doing nothing).

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Jabor posted:

The only "shooter" I've seen that's slower than TF2 is Mechwarrior Online. What games are you thinking of?

All the milspec shooters have much faster time-to-kill, same with all the battle royales (although those feel way slower because 90% of the gameplay is doing nothing).

I’d say CSGO, CoD, and most of the milspec are substantially slower gameplay, so this might just be a definition difference. All of those have as slow of movement speed or slower move speed and people are more hesitant to engage because of time to kill.

TF2 is faster to me because of explosive jumping and the advanced movement. Also respawns are faster than waiting a round and a buy period like CS or R6.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
This is definitely a definition issue because any game with instagib headshots is going to be faster than TF2 lol

The fact that TF2 makes moving around the map fun in ways that other games (except arena shooters) suck at is absolutely one of TF2's strengths, but it doesn't make the game overall fast-paced.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Jabor posted:

This is definitely a definition issue because any game with instagib headshots is going to be faster than TF2 lol

The fact that TF2 makes moving around the map fun in ways that other games (except arena shooters) suck at is absolutely one of TF2's strengths, but it doesn't make the game overall fast-paced.

I still disagree that only low time to kill makes a game fast. In cases like Titanfall it’s fast ttk and fast movement, so it’s a really fast game. In CSGO it’s a painfully slow process despite fast ttk. Either way I’ll drop the discussion since it really don’t add anything of value.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Yeah they are like different axii of speed. Movement speed and time to kill both influence how fast the game overall is but in my humble imho movement speed makes a game feel faster than having low time to kill

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I guess it's the difference between talking about the combat in the game vs. the game as a whole

TF2 has relatively slow combat, but the skill-based movement and respawn-based structure means that the game as a whole comes kind of in the middle

While something like CS has incredibly fast combat when you're actually fighting, but the game as a whole is a lot of playing footsy and cooling down watching other people play the rest of the round, giving a much more up-and-down experience.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Jabor posted:

I guess it's the difference between talking about the combat in the game vs. the game as a whole

TF2 has relatively slow combat,
Not really. Slow ttk is not the same thing as all of combat being slow, it makes combat more drawn out but things are still happening quickly. You still have to aim and react fast, and characters in tf2 are able to move faster than in most FPS

combat in cs is 'faster' only in the sense that it ends quicker, but when you are scout dueling or bombing on a flank as soldier you are moving and doing stuff way loving faster

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.

ArfJason posted:

Like how is it possible i airblasted a rocket into a soldier im like centimeters away from making contact with? It physically shouldnt make sense but I guess im just that fantastic.

Those reflects where you dont even see the projectile spawn make me go mwah. Flawless timing like im daigo vs justin

Had an instance once where a Pyro had flanked my team and was up in my Medic’s face, so I airblasted the Pyro back to try and save the Med.

Apparently in that same millisecond, our Soldier had shot a rocket and that Pyro had reflected it, meaning I ended up reflecting it BACK at the Pyro and killing him with it. Everyone involved was so confused :haw:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Hard disagree. Negation mechanics in a fast fps, especially one as wonky as airblast, don’t feel fun. Obviously they are needed because pyro is such a poo poo character otherwise, but it’s still a bad thing in a game.

Airblast reflect kills feel incredible especially against the most op character in the game soldier

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

xbox 360 owners looking envious at that dog

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

ArfJason posted:

After practicing for like 30 mins i finally got to stickyjump in midair so after that rush i spent 4 hours just doing that in different ways through badwater this is so much fun
Around 2.5k hours in and i never tried this until now. This feels amazing. Cant wait to go into a pub with the sticky jumper and fly around ppl lol

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Butt Detective posted:

Had an instance once where a Pyro had flanked my team and was up in my Medic’s face, so I airblasted the Pyro back to try and save the Med.

Apparently in that same millisecond, our Soldier had shot a rocket and that Pyro had reflected it, meaning I ended up reflecting it BACK at the Pyro and killing him with it. Everyone involved was so confused :haw:

Lol tasty

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I never do it in an actual game because I just don't sticky jumper very much, but when starting a round of upward as red I like to sticky-jump straight out from the wooden stairs, then air-det to head around to the right instead of airstrafing like a chump.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

i pretty much only ever play demoman with the sticky jumper, because gosh darn it if it ain't the best way to bully teleporter entrances

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i dont think i ever played any game with a movement tech like air detonating stickies for jumps and it feels so good and i dont know why i never bothered to try until now its not even that hard

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

ArfJason posted:

i dont think i ever played any game with a movement tech like air detonating stickies for jumps and it feels so good and i dont know why i never bothered to try until now its not even that hard

I think there is something super special about the quake lineage engines when it comes to movement and responsiveness. It’s why I always preferred it compared to other offerings.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

I think there is something super special about the quake lineage engines when it comes to movement and responsiveness. It’s why I always preferred it compared to other offerings.

Lazy purple talked about this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuqImZKygvw&t=405s

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

anyone know of a good uk/eu server that plays all the maps and isnt full of n word killers

racism gaming

Dongicus fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Mar 9, 2021

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Dongicus posted:

anyone know of a good uk/eu server that plays all the maps and isnt full of n word killers

racism gaming

I think Uncletopia has some EU servers, though it's not all the maps(indeed honestly Uncle Dane's taste in maps is kinda iffy)

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

I've stuck to the creators.tf EU servers for ages but I don't know how complete the mapsets are.

Casual I gave up on after the getting booted from matches too many times by bots doing the rename-and-call-vote gambit. And one match that had an entire team of bots called "Waffen-SS"

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Dongicus posted:

racism gaming

I think I'm missing something about this from having to squint at it on my phone, what's the racism?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Just reinstalled the game and tried to play it and no communication allowed? Apparently this was something to counter bots? Anyway they said to buy something in game or on steam and I bought the Age2DE expansion and still nothing. Kind of frustrating. I'm as casual as it comes and I don't mess around with any of the purchasable or cosmetic stuff. My inventory seems jam packed though and I don't remember that being the case. Do you get stuff even when you're not playing?

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Milo and POTUS posted:

Just reinstalled the game and tried to play it and no communication allowed? Apparently this was something to counter bots? Anyway they said to buy something in game or on steam and I bought the Age2DE expansion and still nothing. Kind of frustrating. I'm as casual as it comes and I don't mess around with any of the purchasable or cosmetic stuff. My inventory seems jam packed though and I don't remember that being the case. Do you get stuff even when you're not playing?

You need to spend money on TF2, specifically.

https://www.teamfortress.com/freetoplay/faq.php

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel
May 2, 2009

huh, I thought I did remember it activating if you bought another game on steam, just so valve has some of your money so there's an actual punishment for a vac ban -- I feel like I would've remembered a lot more outrage about "fake free to play" had it been spend on tf2 only all this time, but maybe it has!