Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
i heard this game has violence, any truth to this?

Peanut President posted:

Mods please ban everyone itt with an overwatch av thanks in advance :angel:

I still have diplomatic immunity from the one day we hung out. No, it couldn't have washed off, I haven't bathed since

Jinh fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Oct 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

nerdbot posted:

Pyro Reserve Shooter no longer minicrits airblasted enemies, but minicrits enemies knocked around by the Thermal Thruster, which is equipped to the same slot as the Reserve Shooter... Uhhhhh. I guess they're going for team shenanigans but it reads like one of the dumbest things on this list. That doesn't really balance this.

:( and right after i talked about how this was my favorite loadout, this hurts. guess I'll learn to shoot fire at people instead of just m2+q+m1-ing

matchmaking becoming an overlay redeems that whole system for me though, it was obnoxious not being able to alt tab from TF2 easily and also being stuck on a screen where i couldn't at least manage inventory and loadouts.

righteous bison being fixed is, uh, righteous.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
as a counterpoint even though I'm a dirty othergame-av-haver i had an awesome time in the games i played tonight and it's making me dread playing overwatch again. the action is much more up close and personal, and instead of getting mad when i die because it's a huge deal in OW i just think wow that was a sick airshot they did on me and im right back in the action in like 10 seconds. since its 12v12 theres so much less pressure.

i had awful stuttering but i figured it was due to having a million old cfg files cluttering up my install that might not work as well anymore. deleted cfg, forced the game to reset them, and got a new cfg from cfg.tf. not only does the game look way better but it runs buttery smooth now. my weapon viewmodels were broken for YEARS without me realizing until today, i think the fov was way off or something.

Being able to queue for matchmaking while doing other stuff really does own although it's a bit broken right now due to patch day. when it worked it worked fast. The game shows its age when you try to alt-tab and it won't let you, tf2 takes forever to load into servers and I'd much rather go read something online while waiting. I also had a lot of menu glitches but it's patch day and the devs are working on putting out the fires now, they just fixed an issue with the new mission thing and dx8 and a bunch of other small stuff earlier.

Jinh fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Oct 21, 2017

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Crits help break stalemates so I'll never vote to be rid of them in pub servers. And they reward good players more than bad ones since the crit chance changes depending on how much you're damaging and healing. They wouldn't work in most other shooting games or in a comp setting but they fit perfectly here, I think they were a genius idea. Random Crockets are a gaming icon imo.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Banana bay is the most fun a map has been in forever and ranks right up there with badlands, harvest, and Hightower. It can end surprisingly fast so you kinda gotta rush to roll out and be wary of spies and pros behind you.

Mercenary park is a slog though, it's OK if attack is on a roll and defense has to struggle to keep up but once defence is turtled up it starts to get pretty uncrackable without Uber and lucky random crit strings. There are some neat ideas though, the point with the catwalks above is pretty fun although a bit claustrophobic.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah I had one, 3 kills with a single sentry, that wouldn't track.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Broken Cog posted:

At least It's very easy to get them kicked, and they get extremely salty when you do so, since you have to spend several minutes in spawn to get to that level of health.

Edit: Also, you can still backstab them afaik.

Reddit says that if you spend enough time doing it you can make yourself unstabbable.

In either case you're right, best move is to incite them into a frothing rage by letting everyone know that he's doing it and to bring spies, and then start a votekick the instant he leaves spawn and schadenfreude taunt

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

IronicDongz posted:

iirc it only works with level 1 sentries

Oh God no

Ariong posted:

How can that be? iirc a backstab’s base damage is the stabee’s current health, plus it’s always a crit so multiply that by 3. How can you outhealth that?

This was a reddit post that I can't find right now, and that sub is actually insane about the events of the last week so I should have included a big grain of salt with my original post,im not sure why I took it as truth in retrospect.

Someone said that you could get his health into buffer overflow amounts, that he was unstabbable at that point and could only be killed by out of bound kill triggers.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
If you stab the buffer overflowed heavy 3 times aeris comes and meets you in the spawn room and you hang out before continuing on your way to face sephiroth

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Slime posted:

I can finally play the game and everything is wrong. My mouse feels like there's a delay to it, network latency is poo poo compared to Overwatch so every projectile takes a noticeable moment to actually fire. Everything is just Wrong.

I can't see your setup but check mouse options and make sure there's no acceleration and raw input is checked.

I had similar issues with weapons firing a quarter second after clicking and think it may have something to do with the default network settings but I dont really know. creating a custom cfg fixed it for me.

It might be more than you're willing to put in but try using the site cfg.tf to generate one to fit your needs. Just go through the tabs picking options you like, generate it, extract where it tells you to and add the launch options in steams tf2 properties menu. Takes about 5 mins or so.

If you've already done that then sorry, maybe someone else knows more than I do about it.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
i actually played spy for the first time ever with the normal watch and uh the cloak lasts for a surprisingly long time, even more if you know where ammo crates are.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Orv posted:

I guess my two questions are people have been saying TF2 is dead/dying for years now, I assume that's not true, and if I want to just kind of play around in the weird FPS sandbox that the game has become, rather than say, payload all day, is the community/servers accommodating to that?.

yeah the game is free so it will likely never die, it's definitely the best available free FPS game and easily the one with the biggest already existing community of weirdos.

x10 and randomizer servers might be your jam. x10 makes every weapon ridiculously overpowered or insanely impractical with no middle ground and it's really fun testing different combos. randomizer means you can spawn as a heavy with a blutsauger and a gunslinger. there are servers that combine these two gamemodes, too. i love randomizer, personally.

if you're looking for more normal, there's always koth harvest, badlands, hightower, etc. where most people will ignore the objective and just frag all day long. for more out there maps, there's a few flavors of mario_kart and cp_orange always up.

learning rocket jumping and/or surfing is an entire game in itself and has its own community with a bunch of different servers always up too.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

sorry man but it's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qZvIVsgJ_4

actually nvm rewatched your video and it wins

Jinh fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Apr 21, 2018

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
I played pretty much exclusively Combo Pyro with degreaser/reserve shooter for like 5 years and I can barely play the class now without becoming the "look what they've done to my boy" guy.

Now I spend my days in cp orange x3 lowgrav allcrit servers

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
I like it. 4 team battles are stupid chaotic fun although it's really hard to tell team colors apart sometimes, especially in certain lighting.

The new weapons are pretty cool, though the spy tranq gun can eat my whole rear end

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
I hope they slowly add more of the not-bad guns and playstyles from modern tf2 instead of being stuck in the time period right after the kritzkrieg came out, with a few beta tf2 weapons. Maybe they should do community votes in discord or something so that only the stuff the community likes gets in.

The game feels a lot better to run thanks to all the cut out bloat. I did have an issue with one of the graphics settings causing the system to spaz out until changed.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Hasn't Demo has been utterly dominant in tf2 since day 1 and if every 6s team could they would run 5 demos and a medic every game forever? This is genuinely the first time I've seen someone say soldier is a better class and I've been playing since 08.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Soldier is fair and balanced though. It doesn't need a nerf, because all that stuff you're talking about is stuff that only happens in a vacuum. It's like you're ignoring that rockets have travel time. Soldier does a load of damage, yeah, but it's all hypothetical damage because you can simply move to dodge it. I have never once died to a soldier and thought it was unfair and that I had no options to change the outcome, crits notwithstanding.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
I don't remember any kind of design doc saying soldier's not supposed to be effective up close. Certainly the demoman was built with that intention though.

If you turn a corner, and a soldier is standing right in front of you, you have made a big mistake which you now have time to reflect on and learn from during the next 10 seconds or so.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Popputan posted:

Have any of you ever played as one class for so long you've completely forgotten how to play the other eight?

Having exclusively played Pyro and only Pyro for like, three months, I absolutely cannot go back to anything else. Despite being able to consistently hit accurate flares, I can't even hit a good meatshot playing Scout or a single pipe with Demo. Played MvM a few days ago and I was on my knees trying to convince my team that I shouldn't go Medic even though we didn't have one because it would just make things even worse...
We kicked rear end, though. Gas Passin' and Airblastin' carries.

Yup but for me it was the old degreaser/reserve shooter. I basically quit TF2 due to the modern pyro rework because it changed that playstyle so much.

Granted, old reserve shooter pyro was pretty bullshit so I know it needed to change. But I loved it and played it almost exclusively for several years, so the game never felt the same with its loss.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
It could have been Carpet too maybe? Was it a pyro compilation?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAKp7Efyu_w

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Or, kind of a stretch, this overwatch video? Song starts about 2 mins in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcA3cCQfe3s

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

mfcrocker posted:

I thought we'd maybe had a snifter of an update with this many replies to read but nope, it's just a server idea dumber than 24/7 orange

24/7 allcrit lowgrav orange rules though

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Been playing the game today and liking it again. The uncle dane servers are solid fun

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
:cry: it's so nice to see. Star also uploaded a video to his channel. Man, these two playing this game really had such an impact on me way back.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

PlatinumJukebox posted:

This is a dumb question, but is there some kind of community server that's more casual than the casual servers? Somewhere chill and low-skill. I hit my skill ceiling a long time ago and everyone's waaaay better than me these days. Only way I can have fun is by goofing off and playing hoovy.

depends on what you're into. i dont know of any like default gamemode servers for not playing to win, but i spent many, many hours playing on trade servers or on cp_orange killing people and goofing around, most people there arent playing for any real objective. i dont know of many servers running gimmick gamemodes or maps like trainsawlaser off the top of my head, but those could be fun too. or stuff like deathrace.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87kvEH2jPIQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Every time I hop on I check for Mario kart, there's always a few servers but theyre always empty :eng99: