Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

:eyepoop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

ArfJason posted:

invis watch has always been supremely good

Caveat, on good maps.

Turbine! :argh:

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
God only knows the technology to store more than one attribute about something one after the other would probably be the final death bell for the engine.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I want twin guillotine scout :getin:

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Inescapable Duck posted:

I didn't realise that the Quick-Fix lets Medics bomb jump along with their healing target. That's almost half the classes in the game able to fly. More if you count sentry jumping.

This will quickly become your new favorite medigun.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Once you realize you don't need to walk to get around places quickly the fact that you won't have any legs when you land really isn't that big of a deal.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Lag compensation system will now reliably restore pose parameters responsible for animation layering
This makes server-side hitboxes for lag compensated players better match client-side rendered models

Edit-

sockpuppetclock posted:

Did they just fully revert the autobalance system?

I'm so excited to get switched over to the other team then kicked for beating their asses too hard.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I just shot a guy with 900 ping in the head and he actually loving died they seem to have done the impossible.

Also the casual servers are back up

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I guess we got an update or something

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I'm still bitter about the sandman but I'd be playing right now if my internet permitted.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

leather fedora posted:

I played for the first time in a while recently and got into maps quickly and with decent populations. Seems like it hasn't changed all that much, although I got chewed out by one scrub who blamed our team's loss on me running the Kritz on Payload Defense. :psyduck: I've seen more people running the other Mediguns (when there are Medics), but I wasn't aware the meta changed that much. He was probably just an idiot though.

I tell them they will win while I use the fun medguns I like or they will not win at all.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Broken Cog posted:

I'm still sad they nerfed the Sandman/Cleaver combo for no reason, it was one of my favourite gimmick loadouts. I think I ever ran into people complaining about it every fuckin game but that's okay people complain about everything that kills them in the shoot-em-up videogame

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

ChaseSP posted:

Sandman and Guillotine didn't replace your main weapon like the Direct Hit did. You don't lose nearly as much if you're bad with them compared if you can't use the direct hit worth poo poo, especially since as a scout you can easily get the gently caress out even with 0 ammo in everything and low health

One hit kill on the scout. One hit. You just had to hit him one single time with a direct hit or shoot his feet twice in the time it took him to stun you at mid-range, which also means getting stunned never ever happened at close quarters unless you were dumb enough to chase the scout once he disengaged from you. If you can't use the direct hit well enough to hit the scout once and he CAN use his sandman and cleaver well enough to hit you twice, you deserved to lose!

That HP downside to the sandman is huge because dying is a 15 second stun-lock AND you lose all your positional advantages in a game where controlling territory = victory, I was basically going around making it easy for people to remove me from the game in exchange for making them unable to shoot, sometimes, accuracy and location permitting.

Finally, honestly? I don't really care if people didn't like losing to the sandman. I don't like losing to lots of things! I don't like pyro jetpacks! I'm not fond of the way bonk atomic punch lets laggy scouts run up to me as sniper and force-a-nature 2 shot me and I don't like how the way Valve arranged packets to reach your computer from the server that disconnects head-boxes from head location! I don't like the iron bomber because it really doesn't have a downside! It's bullshit that Demoman can blind charge around corners with the Tide Turner now and when your team isn't Johnny on the spot about chasing after him he can shut down your spawn-area in such a way that it takes ten tries to really dislodge him. Did I mention that class gets to have more HP based on how many morons such as myself they managed to kill?

But you know what? Removing basically any of that makes for a worse game imo. Removing sandman cleaver combo made for a worse game.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Galaxander posted:

Used by a scout taking no risk at range, striking projectile hitboxes with 3000 hu/s projectiles.

Hahahaha

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Broken Cog posted:

You still have to hit both those projectiles though, this is like people complaining about Ambassador spies always hitting headshots, there is an additional variable here

So it's good that the player who worked hard and practiced more and hit two shots with different range requirements with different arcs of flight won over the player who presumably did not.

This is the basis for a game-system that attempts to reward players for spending time perfecting their skills in the game. In other words, a good game.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Straight White Shark posted:

it's more like the player who worked hard and practiced more and hit two shots with different range requirements with different arcs of flight mostly lost to the player who presumably did not, but it was really funny on the rare occasions it worked

It's all about knowing which way to run. If you could get them to chase after you (note how the enemy is in full control of this tactical mistake and unless you are a scout yourself chasing a scout is entirely pointless) you could get your kill.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I just don't know what to say.

A player couldn't hit the scout with a direct hit with a loch and load with a charged bodyshot with a magic shield that lets you run through scouts with a flamethrower with a scattergun meat shot or an ambassador shot. They didn't practice enough. End of story.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
The scout meanwhile dodged 11 of your team-mates and two-shot you. Probably while any of your other team members could have killed him while he focused on you. Pretty clearly he knows the map well enough to dodge fights he can't win so that he has time to reach you, after all he has severely reduced health and instead of a ranged pistol with like 12 shots he gets two. And they don't work on sentries.

He pretty clearly worked harder.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
At this point I'm 100% beating a dead horse but it's worth noting that quick fix ubers entirely negate both sandman stuns and air blast. That plus rocket-jumping medic cements it as the best medigun.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I played one game of comp and I won, I'll forever be undefeated in tf2 competitive play.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
We need medics so I can justify always sniping every second of my day.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
On the other hand the vaccinator has the gimmick where you can uber a team-mate and then theoretically you can also uber several more teammates because vaccinator ubers persist longer after the medic is no longer healing you. I've seen this come into play maybe once ever but it's a niche and the vaccinator has it!

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
The syringe guns are all amazing at doing damage the trick is though you have to be running backwards.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
*about to charge in arguing about the honor of refusing to accept overcharge as a sniper*

cock hero flux posted:

or just make it a demoknight shield that lets you do charges with your melee weapon but requires you to get headshots to refill the meter

Okay actually this sounds fun enough I'd accept it.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

I loved ninjaneering before the engineer update. There’s a lot of clever places around the maps to place a level one and bait a combat class into. I feel like the level of combat engineer has gone down as a whole because you can just pump them out without thinking. The number of engineers I’ve seen drop a mini in front of me as a soldier or demo is staggering.

Sometimes as an engie I just throw a turret down like this so that the soldier will waste a rocket shooting it while I run in and meatshot him, take his metal, and then build a proper sentry over his dead body.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
RiP to a real one.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Galaxander posted:

I haven't played in the past few weeks, but word on the street is the bots are worse than ever and now spam racist/queerphobic voice chat? Apparently, this was one weird trick to get the TF2 community to start defending bots' right to free speech instead of demanding Valve do something about them.

Yeah public servers are actively under siege all the time now. Game is nearly unplayable during off hours.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Valve give the bot a unique hat and make them a place in the game. We can blow them up on a vaguely bat themed reskin map in October.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Hey if it were up to me everybody could have all their favorite loadouts back but that means you all have to put up with my sandman and flying guillotine combo :colbert:

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Crits are great. When a crit kills me I don't even have to feel bad, it was just a crit! Not like regular kills at all where I have to re-analyze every poor decision that led to my downfall!

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
The wrangler is great.

for sniper mains :smug:

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Max Wilco posted:

Pro tip: Don't play Ghost Fort if you're looking to do a quick match, because what should otherwise be a five minute match will be extended to over a half-hour because Merasmus will appear for both teams to beat the crap out of, only for him to show up thirty seconds later.

Like, when you hit 'Merasmus [Level 11]', it's like, 'I just want the match to end so I can complete this contract and go eat.'

The secret is to lose to merasmus then he'll leave properly.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
:goonsay: you get your xp doubled up to 500 xp for xp gained after you've been switched. The prompt is a filthy lie. Still nothing to complain about though.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I like to be autobalanced.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
True mastery of pyro is reflecting the huntsman and nailing a headshot.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
The truth is there isn't any class in TF2 that people won't complain about when it's killing them.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I think the primary reason for the way engineer setup works now is there's actually some difference in the pushback between a level 2 and a level 3 sentry and some players prefer level 2's as a result.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
It's Halloween time again.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Payload giving out free health and ammo to the pushing team is a big part of why I think it's the best game mode for casual play. Red team gets the control of the map and time to prepare and blue team gets rewarded for playing their objective and moving forward at a pace that lets Red set up further on down the map. (Not that the last part works particularly well in this era of well-trained spawn-killers)

And heck even though you can totally get stuck trying to take last on most payload maps it even has the kindness that if you're totally and completely sucking at getting the cart where it needs to go the game actually detects for this and starts sending the cart back in your direction. Solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Delete sniper. :colbert:

I'd be willing to let sniper go because I am 100% certain that once you see how TF2 genuinely plays when there is no sniper, you'll come crawling back.