Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

nerdbot posted:

Pyro Reserve Shooter no longer minicrits airblasted enemies, but minicrits enemies knocked around by the Thermal Thruster, which is equipped to the same slot as the Reserve Shooter... Uhhhhh. I guess they're going for team shenanigans but it reads like one of the dumbest things on this list. That doesn't really balance this.

the thermal thruster doesn't cause you to knock around enemies -- this just means that if you equip it, you can get minicrits against enemy pyros that are jetpacking, along with rocket/sticky jumping enemies (and enemies that get knocked into the air by friendly soldier/demo i guess)

basically it goes from being a puff and sting staple to a way to punish classes with a Go Fast option

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

also i wonder if the dragon's fury projectile does splash damage or passes through enemy players or if it just impacts a dude and he gets tickled

i could see pairing it with the scorch shot -- set a bunch of dudes on fire with splash damage, then jump in and stuff a 100 damage fireball down their throats

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

oh who am i kidding the new meta is going to be jetpacking on top of an enemy sniper and farting on them to death

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

^ :argh:

El Burbo posted:

Wait where does it say it works against explosive jumpers. it just says "flying via jetpack"

On the current weapon description.

The changes say that mini-crit affects explosions, and the patch notes didn't remove that. All it did was remove airblast from the list and add jetpacking. Soldiers could also use the reserve shooter to mini-crit a jetpacking pyro, for what it was worth.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

in other news it's hilarious that valve shat on the ambassador even harder than they initially outlined

now you can't even crit past a certain range, and the crits have damage falloff over range too

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

the shield regenerating is kinda convenient i guess

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

VideoGames posted:

An update to Team Fortress 2 has been released. The update will be applied automatically when you restart Team Fortress 2. The major changes include:

---

Nice and speedy! Hopefully this will lead to a bit of a resurgence of work on the game :D

in particular it looks like they might have fixed the bugs that were letting those weird rear end bots lag/crash servers, which is cool and good

e: also it looks like they gave up on asking people to switch teams of their own volition which is :laffo:

Gwyneth Palpate fucked around with this message at 23:05 on May 17, 2018

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I really like the Dragon's Fury. It's got better range than the flamethrower, no ramp-up, and it's consistent -- I know how much damage I'll be dealing with it. Compare this to the flamethrower, to where the damage ramp-up will reset randomly, or fail to accrue if the target is against a wall, or a million other reasons. Of course, if you can't aim, then you're hosed, which is a bigger deal than usual given that part of the point of pyro is trading the need to aim for a much higher dependence on positioning.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Earlier today I played a game, and while it had a few bots in it, it also had an "Anti-Bot Bot." It was an aimbot, but it only ever fired at people on its bot whitelist. It repeatedly spoke in chat telling who the bots were, and once the bots had been kicked it quit the server. It was amazing.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

They just pushed an update that makes all pending votes automatically be yes if someone leaves the server when they're the current target of a kick vote. This should make it possible to kick out the bots for good during a game.

They also fixed the exploit the bots (and others probably) were using to unequip your second and third cosmetic.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

No jetpack, no sale

For real. As a truculent pyro main, the jetpack/backburner combo has turned me into a death machine. I just wish there was a strange jetpack for stomping kills.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I'm bringin' it back!

Turns out, if you aim at the floor while close to someone with your flamethrower and airblast, it sends them straight up! The direction of travel appears to be a vector starting at where your airblast hits an enemy player and traveling through the enemy player's center of mass. That's why if you are aiming up nearer to the enemy's head, the airblast appears to do nothing. Aim at their feet instead. The closer you are, the better this works. If you hit the right spot, you can send people loving flying at ridiculous speed and distance.

Of course, this doesn't make puff and sting quite like it was in the old days. Since you have to aim down, you can't airblast immediately into a flare without re-aiming. However, it's still fun to do.

And, of course, the old attendant set is mandatory.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

If there is a Kunai spy on the enemy team, I’m irrationally obligated to switch to backburner pyro and sit on him until he switches classes or ragequits. gently caress the kunai in casual, holy poo poo my team keeps feeding because they don’t understand to just sit perfectly still when the spy goes for an epic trickstab.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Remember, when you kill any trickstabbing spy after he fails to trickstab you, it is your god-given duty to shake your mouse left and right while hitting the "NO" voice bind. :sun:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Last night, on Suijin, one of the spy mains was playing and got cornered by 2 snipers, another scout, a soldier, and myself. We were on the far side away from the point with the two medium health packs. They all took out melees and proceeded to get chain stabbed.

The best part about this is that friendly targets take priority for absorbing your melee hits over hostiles. Using melee in a many-friendly-to-one-hostile situation is the worst possible idea, even if it's not a trickstabbing spy. :haw:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Butt Detective posted:

I try to do this but I always end up accidentally doing the "charge me" voiceline instead. :(

if you are a medic this is fine; as a medic it is YOUR god-given duty to scream CHARGE ME HERR DOKTOR or READY FOR THE CHARGE HERR DOKTOR constantly

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

another good one is "reminder: spy has a gun"

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

i pretty much only ever play demoman with the sticky jumper, because gosh darn it if it ain't the best way to bully teleporter entrances

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I regularly quit a game if I get autobalanced. Well, if I don't manage to type retry in console in time.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Not to be THAT GUY, but what's in it for FaceIt? Given that they're giving away prizes and poo poo, plus the MLM-esque invite poo poo, there's gotta be money involved.

It doesn't NECESSARILY have to be evil, but, y'know, I'd rather know what the score is.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Jabor posted:

It still has an enormous projectile hitbox for no reason, right?

It's slightly bigger, yeah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT9j0sjrkm4

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

every time I play TF2 I get pissed off when I die to a bullet that somehow magically penetrated two to six walls and hit me, sometimes up to half a loving second after I've gone behind cover

my ping is 50ms or better, this should not be happening

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Jippa posted:

Are you playing on official match making servers? If so it's probably hacking bots. Scroll back a few pages and see the discussion of "faceit" and sign up.

It's:

ArfJason posted:

No he means the lag compensation poo poo that makes it seem like heavies can shoot around corners sometimes and which weve all suffered more than a hundred times

I run TF2 Bot Detector, so bots stand out like a sore thumb. They always have a different name than their account name.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

It's like playing pyro -- pretty much all of the mastery of pyro is learning when to run away, not how to attack. The answer is generally "sooner than you're thinking."

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Huntsman is really good at bullying minis also

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Fun thing to do with the Loch and Load: bully sentries on Upward last. With its projectile speed, you can reliably hit any sentry on the platforms above RED's spawn from the doorway next to that medium ammo pack under the stairs facing the RED spawn. The grenade launcher or iron bomber can't hit from there.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

cock hero flux posted:

used to being able to click the left mouse button and receive kills while where they've actually placed their crosshair remains largely irrelevant

as a huntsman-using sniper, i feel attacked

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

just played a game of upward defense where I dominated a heavy solely from airblasting him off the cliff

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Even running away as pyro is fun. (You run away a lot)

Sometimes you start running away, but then you have one of those James Bond intuition moments, whip around, and airblast a rocket that you never actually SAW or even heard, but just instinctively knew was there. Turn a corner, pray that whoever's firing at you hasn't jacked their interp up to the stratosphere to allow them to hit targets 40 years in the past, and ask yourself how the gently caress you got out of there alive. Then, ding, jetpack charge complete -- time to get back in there.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

ArfJason posted:

oh i hate the jetpack lol. to me its flares or bust.

Missin' out. I'm a backburner / jetpack pyro and I slay medics and snipers.

Backburner is practically required for casual, as there are guaranteed to be no fewer than 47 kunai/deadringer/diamondback spies whose 210 health plus dead ringer resistance are going to need to be blasted through, lest your entire team waddle in a single file into the most obvious stairstab or matador stab for 20 minutes straight. (Plus burning backs is fun)

I need a strange killstreak jetpack for tracking stomp kills.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Countblanc posted:

I don't play pyro much but I generally use the backburner because I'm here to frag, not to tag (someone with fire)

This is the way.

"Support" pyros are pyros who haven't yet mastered the most essential pyro skill: knowing when you've overextended. Granted, this is a core skill for TF2 in general, but for pyros it's basically the entire game.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Forcing the vacc medic to use his charges on fire is a great way to reduce their power. I think the vaccinator is mostly :airquote: "balanced" :airquote: around a pyro being up in his rear end with fire. It both reduces their shields' effectiveness overall and forces more uses of the ability.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

some items don't work very well together

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

i need a feedback option for "team had 4 or more sniper + spy, all at the bottom of the scoreboard" or "team's engineer(s) threw the match by forcing us to fight down 3 players because they thought building at last when we are trying to defend the second payload cart point would actually work despite it never working"

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

just run voice_enable 0 and you will forever be immune to squeaky teenager rage and whatever trash passes for humor among the Extremely Online

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Are there still aimbots on every server?

Yep. Someone made a new creche of bots today, actually. Bunch of new names and account ages under 24 hours. TF2 Bot Detector puts in work, though.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Milo and POTUS posted:

People have gotten pretty good about kicking them quickly if you've got a enough real human beings but if they get a critical mass it's pretty much impossible to boot them all. It's a crying shame. At least the bots in Diablo 2 are benign at worst and immensely helpful at best.

Is there any real technical reason valve can't just perma all these or is it just disinterest/laziness? VPNs, something? I don't know poo poo about IT stuff

It'd be nice if they permabanned the existing bots, but as long as the game is f2p, more bots can be created easily. I feel like some basic heuristics could shorten considerably the list of suspected bots for a human to review.

* Queued or playing a game for 20 hours or more a day
* In-game name doesn't match account name or drifts too severely from account name
* Threshold of votes levied against account (not successful kicks, as the bots can easily dodge kicks)
* Only plays one class, especially sniper
* Uses unprintable characters in name
* Puts newlines into chat

And so on. You wouldn't want to make any of those criteria ban automatically, but it could easily narrow the list.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

the holy poopacy posted:

Can clients still hack bullet spread? I thought that vulnerability got patched along the way. Perfect tracking is dangerous but still manageable at most ranges.

It's less that you hack bullet spread and more you know how each bullet will spread, so you can adjust your aim for each individual bullet to counter spread. You can tell someone has nospread by spectating them and looking for them to shake their aim in tiny, incomprehensible motions, yet somehow perfectly land every shot.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

It amazes me to this day that players of this game still don't know about the proper way to exit the spawn on the third point on defense on upward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

ArfJason posted:

thundermountain fuckin owns

thundermountain owns because on offense on the last stage you can wrangler jump up to the sloped roof over the last checkpoint and rescue ranger your whole kit up there, and the average casual player can't do anything to stop you