Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Oh cool, there is a TF2 thread.

I reinstalled TF2 last weekend to earn points for the Summer Sale, having not played the game in quite some time (last recorded achievement I could find was from 2014). A lot seems to have changed.

It looks like some things have been adopted from Overwatch, like the casual mode matchmaking and ranking, competitive mode (I have played Overwatch, but...). There's also the Contracts thing, which I don't remember. I've been doing some of the Pyro-related ones, and that's bringing back old, painful memories of trying to meet achievement criteria for new items (which makes me wonder if achievement farming servers are still a thing).

I've played the game on-and-off ever since it came out with the Orange Box, and I've never once got a Unsual weapon (i.e. the ones that count number of kills or whatever). Then again, I've got a ton of unopened crates, since I've never put any real money into the game (I spent a few dollars of leftover Steam credit, since I have the Mann Co. hat.), so that's probably why I don't have one.

Is there anything I should look to do or get?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Johnny Joestar posted:

yeah it's kind of telling when apparently no one has thought to wheel their desk over and turn off the holiday crate drops for 7 entire months after christmas ended

I got some Christmas 2018 crates, too, and it didn't occur to me until later how weird that was. :downs:

Johnny Joestar posted:

yeah i kind of wish valve would do people a favor and tell them it's on life support instead of this 'totally an update coming any day now even though it's been almost two years since the last one' vague bullshit that people have to kind of assume

just don't bother, really

That's a sad thing to read, as TF2 was the first online multiplayer game that I took to and put a lot of time into. It still stands as my most played game on Steam (at 289 hours, which is including the few hours I put into it recently). Obviously, that's nowhere near as much as some people have, but it's still a considerable amount of time versus the time I've put into other games.

EDIT: Does there exist a SA thread for Source Filmmaker?

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jul 8, 2019

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/PaulMcIcedTea/status/1136971550568189952

FalloutGod posted:

Being part of a competent soldier/medic duo is absolutely the most fun you can have in a video game.

:yeah:

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jul 11, 2019

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Dustbowl's probably my favorite map, if only because of how many times I've played it. Turbine's a pretty fun CTF, and Gravel Pit has a neat layout. Upward and Gold Rush are good payload maps.

Other than those, I either don't remember anything real distinct about them, or I've never played on them.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Ariong posted:

Just joined a server, someone called a votekick against me for cheating, and I got booted. I was on there for about 45 seconds and didn't get a single kill. Weird.

On a whim, I asked in chat if anyone wanted to trade me so I could get a Tomislav, and someone offered to just give me on for free. Unfortunately, when he went AFK for just barely a minute, there was a vote to kick him. I voted 'No' , but he still got booted. :(

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

With Pyro, I've been running stock for the last couple of days, save for the Homewrecker, since assisting Engineers always makes me feel good. Plus, the airblast is needed for the Pyroland contracts I'm trying to 100%

Are there any mods for TF2 that I should get? In a couple of videos I've watched, I've seen an alternate HUD that changes things around, but also give you a 3D view of your current character with the cosmetics in the corner instead of the static 2D image.

Speaking of contracts, what's the deal with those? I've done most of the ones for Pyroland (which seems to be the only free one), so I've got everything save for the slap-glove. It seems like you need to buy a pass to do any of the other ones.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

In all the time I've played TF2, I've never gotten an Unusual. Then again, I've never opened crates, so that's probably why.

...I think I might have said something similar to this a few pages back.

What is the deal with Unusuals, anyway?

Mercury Crusader posted:

Since there's apparently a market for World of Warcraft Classic, is there a market for Team Fortress 2 Classic?

There was going to be a mod to let you play TF2 as it was back in 2008, but it got yanked due to some issues with how it was to be implemented.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

Just buy hats, almost everything is like two ref or less now.

How do I go about buying hats with refined metals?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Is that a secure thing to log into with your Steam info?

If so, do you need a lot of Refined Metal to buy stuff? I tried to scrounge up some of up my duplicate weapons to smelt, but even then I think I only was able to craft one Reclaimed (I'm only scrapping regular, non-unique weapons, and I want to hang on to at least two for...some reason)

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Aug 1, 2019

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Jabor posted:

You don't log into that site with your Steam info. You log into Steam, and then Steam will tell that site that yes, you're totally Max Wilco.

Obviously, don't give your Steam password to anything that isn't Steam.

Would it be possible to have it recognized automatically if one via Steam's in-game web browser?

Jabor posted:

You don't log into that site with your Steam info. You log into Steam, and then Steam will tell that site that yes, you're totally Max Wilco.

Obviously, don't give your Steam password to anything that isn't Steam.

Yeah, I see it links to the Steam/Valve Corp now, and its got a verified security certificate.

Guess I'll give it a shot. I can always change my password later if I get paranoid.

EDIT: Oh, I guess trading isn't available right now; probably because of the hat economy crashing. Oh well! Guess I'll try again next week or something :v:

quote:

Geel:
For the time being, auctions and unusual trading are disabled. We plan to re-enable both soon after Valve makes a final announcement, which should hopefully occur Monday.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Aug 1, 2019

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Otacon posted:

Auctions and Unusual Trading aren't for standard hat trading - AFAIK everything on the page I linked a few posts ago works perfectly.

Most "craft" hats, (older series hats, unpopular hats, common hats, etc.) are 1 refined + 1 reclaimed metal (1.33ref) each. These are at the bottom of the page. Higher value hats can reach 100+ refined metal (about 2 TF2 MannCo Crate Keys) but 99% will be less than that. There are some sweet craft hats to be had for cheap!

I tried buying a craft hat, but it looks like I have to have the Moblie Authenticator set up for a week first before I can do instant trades. Guess that means I'll have to get the Steam app on my phone.

It's probably good that I do that anyway. I get paranoid about losing my phone and being locked out of my account, but it's probably more secure to do the 2-step authentication. Plus, if I set up a phone number, I'll be able to play Competitive in TF2 and probably immediately regret it.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Wtf? spectating is gone? drat this game has gone to poo poo.

I think you can still spectate, but only via community servers, where you can pick your team. In Casual, you get auto-assigned to a team.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Ugh. I tried reinstalling Poker Night at the Inventory to earn a couple of the TF2 items I was never able to earn (Iron Curtain, Spy watch reskin, police badge), but I have no grasp of poker.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The first game is pretty easy, hardest part is getting the character putting up the item to bust out to you before someone else does.

I just can't wrap my head around the rules. I spend most of my time folding, or inevitably busting out because my hand sucks.

Xander77 posted:

Doesn't steam achievement unlocker still work for that?

Dunno. I'm not familiar with Steam Achievement Unlocker, but it does look like the items have their own achievements.

Even if it does work, I don't think I want to mess around with it.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

XkyRauh posted:

Don't feel bad, buddy. I'm terrible at poker, too. I managed to get all the goodies from the first Night at the Inventory game, but the second has stymied me every time.

The funny thing is that after I made that post, I reinstalled the game again and after a couple of games, I was able to get the Iron Curtain. :woop: (It was an extra cool victory in that I won the hand against both Heavy and Max, who went all-in.)

I didn't actually try executing it, but one 'cheat' I came up with was to quit out of a game mid-way, then go into the save game folder [Documents\Telltale Games\Poker Night at the Inventory] and then copy-&-paste the save-game files into another directory. That way, if you lose, you can (possibly) overwrite the new file with the backup to try again. Again, I haven't actually tried it, so I don't know if it'll work, but in theory, you can instantly resume a game where there's an item in play.

I never picked up PNATI 2, as the cast for that one didn't interest me as much as the first. Sadly, you can't buy either of them anymore, since they've been de-listed.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Peanut President posted:

well whaddaya know

WE BOTH HAVE NEW WEAPON!

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Does anyone here think the Dragon's Fury is a really bad weapon? I'm not bothered by the fact that you can't just W+M1 and actually have to aim, but the perspective makes it hard to tell how far your shots go, and the rate of fire changing on successive hits throws me off.

I want to get the '5 kills on one life' with it for the contract, but I can barely get one per life before dying. Are achievement servers still a thing, or are contracts only possible in casual matches?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Galaxander posted:

I think it's really fun, but it is for sure awkward as frick.

As for the contract, I'd say just play as normal and switch to it if you notice you're up against a hopelessly bad team. You can also usually pick up an easy kill or two during humiliation, so take advantage of that if you have the chance.

Awkward is probably a better descriptor. It seems like you have to lead your shots with it or something.

I rarely get any kills during match-end humiliations, mostly because there's already a few other people who are right by the spawn. Still, that's helpful advice.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Sounds like the Halloween Event is starting early this year, and they're giving out real medals!

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

EVERY ONE OF YOU DESERVES A MEDAL!

In other news, I managed to get the Dragon's Fury '5 kills in 1 life x3' legitimately. The advice to use it along with the Scorch Shot helped. (Thanks Butt Detective) It still took a long time and quite a few matches before I managed, but I did find that I started to like the weapon a bit more.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

This might sound foolish, but I've thought about shelling out a few dollars to buy some keys to unbox some of the hat cases that I got recently. I got the Steam Mobile thing set up, but it take 15 days before you can do any trading/purchases, so I can't use scrap.tf just yet.

If anything, I thought about buying the contract ticket thing to get some of the challenges and bonuses related to that.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Baron von Eevl posted:

The contracts thing is fun, but don't bother with including, especially right now when there's nothing particularly exciting or interesting to unbox. Two keys will buy any weapons you might need and several of basically any cosmetic for every class.

I don't understand what you mean by 'including'.

Otacon posted:

If converted directly to metal, keys are worth 45-50 refined metal each.

Nearly every single item you'll unbox from any recent series crate will be worth 3-10 refined metal. Older series crates? 1.33-5 refined metal.

Don't use keys. Sell them. Contracts are good and fun.

Can I buy the contracts ticket with the key/refined metal trading thing?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Some various things I wanted to post about

+ There's a weird bug that seems crop up from time-to-time when playing on Casual, where the option to vote is locked out; not just for me, but for everyone playing. When it happens, it just results in the server picking the map that was just played on.

+ Within the last 24 hours, I've gotten auto-balanced to the opposing team just as we're on the cusp of winning at least three times in the last 24 hours. I don't mean to sound like I'm complaining (I mean, I guess I am), but it's like the game has it out for me.

+ Something I found really amusing is that in Medieval Mode on DeGroot Keep, whatever you type into chat get converted into 'Ye Olde English'.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Ariong posted:

If I do a really good job playing the game, and my teammates do too, and we win the game, but five seconds before it happens I get autobalanced to the other team, I don’t really care. The fact that the screen says YOU LOSE instead of YOU WIN doesn’t invalidate any of the stuff I did or the fun I had doing it. I don’t really see what the fuss is about.

The only bad autobalance experience I had was a recent game in which me and a Medic were the only ones defending the point on a KOTH match, and my medic got autobalanced while we were being attacked.

It's not a big deal, I just thought it was odd it kept happening to me.

So I finally got it set up so I can do trades, as well as use scrap.tf. However, I haven't had much luck in actually using scrap.tf. I tried doing a trade yesterday, and I got to the point where it gave me a confirmation message on my phone. I hit confirm, but it just gave me a error message, despite hitting both 'confirm' and 'cancel'. Eventually, I just just gave up and abandoned it.

I thought I'd try again today, and to my surprise the first trade did actually go through! However, whenever I try to trade something now, I get a message of 'Sorry, this bot is no longer available to trade'. Is that something on my end that's causing it, or what?

It's worth noting that I run a couple of browser extensions like UBlock and Privacy Badger. I set Privacy Badger to allow everything, which is how I was able to get the first trade going.

EDIT: I just tried doing another trade about twenty minutes ago, and it went through. Only weird quirk was that I accepted it on my phone, but it didn't seem to acknowledge it happening via the browser, so I just had to close the window. Still got the item, though. :shrug:

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Sep 4, 2019

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Been waiting for October and Scream Fortress to hit, so I could buy some keys and maybe unlock some boxes and get some cool new items. (As someone said the drop rate/unusual rate is higher during Scream Fortress)

Is there anything to look for in particular? Since I haven't followed TF2 for the last few years, I don't know if there's anything in the Halloween events you can earn. Only things I have are the Bombinomicon, the giant eye hat, some spellbook page thing, and a few various Halloween cosmetics.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Oct 4, 2019

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Anarch posted:

Scream Fortress achievement items (with requirements in the link):
Unfilled Fancy Spellbook
Bombinomicon
Skull Island Topper
MONOCULUS!
Hoseless Headless Horsemann's Head
Mildly Disturbing Halloween Mask
Ghostly Gibus or the other variations of
Haunted Metal Scrap which you can turn into Horseless Headless Horsemann's Headtaker

Scream Fortress cosmetic transmutes:
The Soul Gargoyle can transmute three unique or haunted cosmetics into an untradable Halloween cosmetic, which if you're lucky can net you expensive stuff like Chicken Kiev or Hundkopf on the cheap (but again, an untradable version). For every 10 transmutes you get an extra Halloween cosmetic, and each combine you get a chance at some bonus drops like spell pages or a Halloween case. Basically it's a really cheap way to gamble cosmetics compared to opening crates, though the results aren't tradable and you can't get unusuals from it.

I have quite a few of those (the Bombinomicon, the Skull Island Topper, Monoculus, Mildly Disturbing Halloween Mask, the Spellbook (still unfilled, with only one page in my inventory), and the Ghastlierest Gibus).

I don't have the Haunted Metal Scrap, and it looks like the requirements to get it is to beat the Horseless Headless Horsemann with melee attacks. I tried doing this today on one map (Slasher), but I either got killed by other players or the Horsemann himself. Then again, that map I think was a mix of all the Halloween stuff, and I remember there was one he showed up on specifically, so maybe it's easier to do it there.

It looks like you can't get the Soul Gargoyle anymore. It sounds like it was only available for the 2015 event.

-

Apart from keys, I also thought about getting the ticket to do contracts, and maybe the ticket for Mann Vs Machine. I got a free MvM ticket back when I think it first launched, and I just recently finished a mission with it. Do you have to buy multiple tickets for a whole mission set to get the weapons with the robot-head decorations?

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Oct 4, 2019

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Baron von Eevl posted:

I'm pretty sure they give you one of you don't have it already as long as you log in during scream fortress.

I tried starting up the game this morning, but I didn't see it come up in an inventory search, and there was no notification for a new item for it.

I thought it was because I didn't have the Masked Mann achievement, but it looks like I got that back in 2011, so I don't know. :shrug:

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yeah, scream fortress hasn't actually started yet, they're just opening up the Halloween maps and costumes. The real thing might not actually start till right before Halloween but it will probably have contracts, drops, new cosmetics, all that jazz.

Like I said, this isn't scream fortress, this is just "here play some Halloween maps while we get the update ready."

Oh, I see. I just figured Scream Fortress started as soon as October rolled in. That explains it.

Does that mean the whole double-rate drop thing doesn't apply either until Scream Fortress actually starts?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

The crates from the contracts aren't marketable this year, which means there's really no reason to play unless you want to since you can't make money from hat barons / gambling addicts unless you're valve

I bought a key and got the pocket halloween boss, immediately remembering why I stopped buying keys

Also some dude I was in a server with opened forty boxes and I got the itch

e: the pocket halloween boss's ghost version paints the hat, you can't carry around a small green ghost. This item fuckin sucks!!!

I bought $10 of Steam credit last weekend, so I'm probably going to buy a couple of keys because I like making poor decisions. The only thing I have bought so far, though, is the ticket for the contracts, and I have to say, I'm annoyed you can't have multiple contracts running at once. :argh:

I got the Soul Gargoyle, though, so I'm happy about that. One odd thing I had happen is that after the game updated, I couldn't get it start at first, so I tried verifying the game files, and that seemed to fix it (even though there was nothing to download). However, in trying to find a solution in the Steam discussions, I found this thread, which I have to share: https://steamcommunity.com/app/440/discussions/0/3175526477753177228/

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

What if your entire team was made up of Heavies?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

poo poo, first Rick May dies, and now this happens.

I'm wondering if I should just uninstall TF2. I've mostly played casual since I reinstalled it, but I don't want to take the risk of getting my computer hijacked by anything until this blows over.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Goddamn, this is what it is, isn't it?

PMush Perfect posted:

I already uninstalled, and I don't think I'll be reinstalling again. It being open source now means it's just a matter of time before another bug gets found, and I don't trust Valve to stay on top of it.

Rest in peace, Rick May. Rest in peace, TF2. And thanks for the memories.

:smith:

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

So TF2 is safe to go back to?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Yes, Valve announced that there was no RCE and the community proved the couple examples were faked.

:dance: Yay!

Dunno if I'll reinstall it right away (since I actually hadn't been playing that much for last couple of months), but I'm glad to hear it's not ruined forever.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Apr 29, 2020

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Been thinking about reinstalling TF2, now that I know the whole code exploit deal turned out to be a false alarm.

However, I wanted to ask if the thread knew anything about Open Fortress. I don't know anything about it. I first heard of it because I got a Steam popup that said "<Steam friend> is playing Open Fortress."

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Here's something that I've run into: I'll join a game, and after a bit, I'll start hearing some offensive mic spam. However, looking in the corner to see who's name it is, I see that my username and avatar is showing up as the person speaking, even though I don't have a microphone set up currently.

I thought maybe it had to do with Windows 10 automatically hooking into application that have mic support, but even after toggling it off, it kept happening. I asked in text chat in one game, and apparently, there are 'mimics' that will copy your name and spam the mic. It was suggested that changing classes would help, but I'm worried someone's going to copy my name and start spamming something offensive, and I'll get banned as a result. For the time being, I've turned off voice chat in-game, so I don't hear anything, but for all I know, your name will still get picked, and you just won't be able to see it.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I've run into a new issue this morning where I seem to get lag no matter what server I join. I'll be trying to move somewhere, only for the game to hang, and then I jump to a new point. It seems like it's something on my end, but I don't know what it could be. I tried playing a game in training mode, and ran into no problems.

Could it be related to the bot issue?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Jippa posted:

If you open the console with ` (the button below escape) you can type "net_graph 1" to show basic networking stuff. Put "net_graph 0" to turn it back off.

Doing that right now, and it looks like the 'in' variable is where it's hanging, because the number will freeze.

I honestly don't know what I should be looking for, or what I should do to fix it.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Jippa posted:

You can try changing the number to 2/3/4 as well for more detail. Try it on a server you think you should have quite low ping.

I tried 'net_graph 2' and captured some screenshots:

The area highlighted by the arrows is what would come up when I got the lag hits. I dunno what it represents, though.

The good news is that I was able to fix the problem by rebooting my computer. Dunno why that fixed it, though. I'm guessing either something was running in the background that was interfering, or I just needed to restart it (I left it on sleep mode last night, so I'm thinking maybe it was a memory thing.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Dabir posted:

wait

you lot are just leaving your computers on all the time?

Usually, I'll turn it off before going to bed, but some times I'll just put it on sleep mode, even though the boot time isn't that long. I think there have been times where I've done it two or three days in a row, and I think that might have been the case when I started having issues with TF2.

I've heard that it's more power-efficient or something to just leave it on sleep mode, but I think the way it works is that if you don't do a shutdown or reboot every so often, it doesn't clear memory properly, or applications never stop writing to the disc. It also might not pick up new changes until it does a check or proper refresh.

I feel like it's healthier for the overall life of the computer if shut everything down, because it effectively 'flushes' all the background processes down. Otherwise, everything is just sort of suspended.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jun 22, 2020