Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Is there more to the Rescue Ranger changes than just "repairs now cost metal?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

The exact wording is

quote:

Doubled the amount of metal applied (per wrench hit) when upgrading buildings during the "Setup" period

Why would they be talking about wrench hits when the Rescue Ranger isn't a wrench? I agree with Countblanc - sounds like it was a formatting error and the change is related to the Engineer class and not specific to the Rescue Ranger

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

It downloaded, I hit play, and the music started looping and it froze and then crashed to desktop.

So fitting! :allears:

(It did work on the next start)

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Thankfully I held onto 3 years of Swissmas-gifted backpack expanders - they upped the maximum number of pages!

Maybe when the servers unclog in a few hours I'll even be able to apply them

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Does the Kunai still steal HP? Does it give the spy all that extra max HP?

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

My favorite spy-trope is still the 10-hours-as-spy ineffectual and useless Cloak & Dagger user sitting in a corner for 10 minutes waiting for "the perfect time to strike" and then forgetting to disguise and uncloaking a foot from a sentry they intended on sapping. poo poo will always be funny to me.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

For the Pyro Slapper-weapon contract, I had to get double and triple kills with it. I loved DR spies because it meant an easy double-kill.

It seems like more spies are using their guns these days, too. If you're ever looking to change things up a bit, give no-knife spy a try. Can be very fun and rewarding.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Convert it into keys ASAP. Don't accept paypal, don't accept "half up front, half after trade" and if anyone tries to alter the agreed upon deal, immediately unfriend them and move on.

TF2Outpost and backpack.tf would be where I'd start first by listing the item for sale and your asking price. It may take a few days to find a serious buyer, and expect to be added by a dozen scammers who will try to trick you somehow.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Plus another backpack slot increase AGAIN, this time from 2500 to 3000 max slots.

:getin:

Also additional festive weapons (from using Festivizers on base weapons)

Ubersaw, Dragon's Fury, Amputator, Air Strike, Back Scratcher, Scotsman's Skullcutter, Bazaar Bargain, Black Box, Claidheamh Mòr, Crusader's Crossbow, Degreaser, Loose Cannon, Persian Persuader, Detonator, Brass Beast, Holy Mackerel, Loch-n-Load, Powerjack, Iron Bomber, Reserve Shooter, Disciplinary Action, Family Business, Shahanshah, Scorch Shot, Shortstop, Soda Popper, Rescue Ranger, Tomislav, Panic Attack, Winger

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

I dunno, if I was given the choice between Valve adding some new weapons, or fixing 1) matchmaking 2) hacking 3) hitboxes 4) melee detection 5) balance, I'd definitely choose neither - give me more hats.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Lowness 72 posted:

I don't get it

:negative:
:regd06:

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Hooray, snitching works!

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

where the gently caress is the community? are they all dead at this point?

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Does anyone use the Axetinguisher anymore? I tried it out a few weeks ago, it was dogshit - even with the Degreaser.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

ArfJason posted:

Updated past Saxxy and Memory Maker items to be Strange

huh

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

King Lazer posted:

100% unironically agreed.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

cock hero flux posted:

tf2 received plenty of support and I'm okay with the fact that they're not really doing much with it now but the matchmaking thing is awful and I have no idea why they forced it

like TF2 was played without matchmaking for literally 9 years and it was absolutely fine, now you have matchmaking and I have to wait 5 minutes to get a casual match instead of just opening the server list and clicking on a server that has a map I like in 15 seconds, because they removed all the valve servers from the list and all the community servers died

You're playing with friends, or being very selective with your maps then - I have most of them selected (except for Special Maps and 2fort) and typically get matched to a server within 15 seconds.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

I've probably played 500+ hours of Hightower just as pyro.

I regret nothing.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

ArfJason posted:

Doublecross is alright imo

love doublecross but only if i immediately go engy and plop down a level 1 sentry over the intel to stop the scout caps 12 seconds into the round

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Ariong posted:

Why Darwin's Danger Shield? I haven't had much trouble with Pyros as a sniper.

As a pyro, I hate DD snipers. They have about 1-2 more seconds to get off a lucky crit melee.

As a pyro, I also hate demoknights.

Though, as a pyro, I mostly just hate myself.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Hihohe posted:

I never play waste. Was it good?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TecwHduBFZg

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

only if you sell them asap

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

They were rewarded to participants of the Dota 2 championship in 2011... basically nobody has them, ESPECIALLY people who still play TF2 in TYOOL 2018.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Love that I still get scammers adding me impersonating people trying to steal my hats in this dead gay game.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Check out scrap.tf for weapons you want - don't buy them from the store. If you want to buy something, grab a key and sell it to scrap.tf and buy every single weapon in the game and have a bunch of metal left over for some hats.

I'm sure I'm going to miss some, but here are some of the more decent weapons that are situationally superior to stock weapons, or at least very strong sidegrades. I'm sure others can add some "OMG YOU'RE WRONG YOU DIDN'T MENTION THE _____" but this is what I primarily use situationally when I'm not using stock loadouts.

Scout:
Primary: Use the scattergun. It's amazing. Close-range meatshots ruin everything.
Secondary:
Bonk Energy Drink allows temporary invulnerability allowing you to get past enemy lines or distract a sentry so a teammate can kill it.
Mad Milk splashes onto enemies and gives tiny amounts of health back to you and your team when you cause damage to anyone splashed
Winger lets you jump higher when in use
Melee:
Atomizer allows triple jumps
Holy Mackerel will display hits in your killfeed and can allow you to see if you thumped a cloaked spy or not

Soldier:
Primary:
Black Box removes a rocket but allows self-healing
Direct Hit fast rockets, little splash damage - great for destroying buildings
Secondary:
Buff Banner: No shotgun but you provide a few seconds of minicrits to your team when you cause enough damage
Concheror: No shotgun but you provide a few seconds of movespeed and heal-on-hit to your team when you cause enough damage
Melee:
Disciplinary Action: Whip teammates to grant you both movespeed, has a higher melee range and can hit enemies behind you

Pyro:
Primary:
Backburner: Very strong - grants crits when attacking enemies from behind, slightly better damage than stock, airblast costs more ammo
Phlogistinator: Causing damage builds a meter, rewarded with a few seconds of Minicrits - no airblast
Secondary:
Flare Gun: Crits burning enemies, pretty useless against other pyros
Melee:
Powerjack - runspeed bonus while in use
Homewrecker - Removes sappers from friendly buildings, increased damage against enemy buildings
Back Scratcher - health kits heal you for more, reduced medic healing - great for roaming pyros

Demoman:
Primary:
Loose Cannon: I don't use this but some demo's who have the timing down will consistently wreck me.
Secondary:
Unless you're doing a demoknight loadout, use stock stickybomb launcher.
Melee:
I prefer stock bottle unless demoknighting - both Eyelander and Half Zatoichi have their benefits and disadvantages

Heavy:
Primary:
Tomislav - no spinup, no noise, reduced spread
Secondary:
Sandvich: Right click to throw for a teammate (or enemy) to eat, left-click to self-heal over 5 seconds
Melee:
Gloves of Running Urgently / Eviction Notice - these aren't for killing, they're for running back from spawn after that spy stabbed you for the 12th time

Engineer:
Primary:
Rescue Ranger - allows healing and moving your buildings from a distance, bad at killing
Widowmaker - if you hit every shot, you'll never run out of ammo
Frontier Justice - Kills by your sentry store crits granted when your sentry dies - useful in conjunction with Minisentrys.
Secondary:
Wrangler - you remote control your sentry
Short Circuit - situational, destroys incoming enemy rockets or grenades
Melee:
Gunslinger - instead of a level 3 sentry, you have a rapid-fire level 1 disposable sentry and won't cry when a heavy murders it effortlessly.

Medic:
Primary:
Crusader Crossbow - heals teammates too far for your medigun range
Secondary:
Kritzkrieg - instead of invuln, grants crits when used
Quickfix - useful when healing lots of teammates in rapid succession, grants rapid regen when used
Vaccinator - difficult to get the hang off, allows you to select bullet, explosive, or fire resistance by cycling through each mode.
Melee:
They're basically all upgrades over stock, but I use Solemn Vow to see enemy health and sometimes the riskier Ubersaw option which grants you medigun charge on hit.

Sniper:
I don't play sniper. Huntsman is fun but not too serious. Jarate can be useful situationally. No idea what preferred melee option is.

Spy:
Primary:
Ambassador - headshots are crits, hope you can aim!
Secondary:
Get used to the stock invis watch, it's really the best option.
Dead Ringer - Triggers invis when you get hit tossing out a fake dead body. Only idiots will think you're really dead. Can be used as a Get Out Of Jail Free card if you're trying to get behind enemy lines.
Cloak and Dagger - Please don't use this as you'll spend half the time standing like a statue somewhere thinking you're being sneaky but you're really being useless.
Melee:
Spycicle - silent kills, enemy team doesn't see your kills on their feed, but a pyro will melt it and you're now useless and probably on fire and dead.
Eternal Reward - you cannot disguise unless you stab someone, and now you're them until you attack someone else or die because you're a heavy in the middle of their entire team who just saw the kill.

If I missed something, feel free to add. Stock loadouts are really super powerful in nearly every situation, and there's nothing that I'm aware of in the game that is seriously more OP than stock. Also this post is the most effort I've put into TF2 in years.

VVV Thanks Broken Cog, updated and reworded Frontier Justice. It's been a while

Otacon fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Feb 9, 2019

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Thanks all, definitely knew I missed a few

Grapplejack posted:

I prefer the bomber for demoman primary TBH but all of his stuff is to taste.

I think I've used the Iron Bomber for all of 5 minutes when it was first released, and I typically don't see many Demo's running it... how do you use it differently compared against the standard grenade launcher?

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Jippa posted:

I use sticky jumper and iron bomber.

Holy poo poo I completely overlooked the jumpers :corsair:

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

dude looks like the gerber baby

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Straight White Shark posted:

To this day some of the most fun I've had in this game is taunting on huntsman kills.

Especially against other snipers.

Stab stab stab!

I had renamed mine "The Humbling Huntsman of Humility"

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

here's how to get what you want in tf2:

buy a key

find someone to give you 50-60 refined metal for your key

buy what you want with the metal instead of playing a lottery - you can afford every single standard weapon in the game and at least a hat and misc for every single class in the game.

but for reals, this man knows whats up:

Peanut President posted:

do not put money into this dead rear end game, that's my advice

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

I’m an American in the east coast and most of your issues don’t really occur to me. I never wait more than a minute for a casual match, unless I’m playing a super obscure map (and I wouldn’t refer to foundry as obscure either).

:same:

Honestly though I don't have much room to talk, I only ever play Hightower.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think pyro and soldier have lots more options than you're giving credit to. Soldier backpacks are very useful, especially the passive healing on the Conch, and degreaser is probably one of the weaker pyro primaries now.

I usually run stock/conch/whip for soldier and backburner/scorch/powerjack for pyro, but I'll mix that up occasionally, especially swapping out soldier primaries situationally.

stock/stock/whip is my soldier go-to
roaming backburner flaregun rake pyro is my nirvana

i can nail most flares so i never fell in love with scorch shot but will check it out again

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Ariong posted:

Just joined a server, someone called a votekick against me for cheating, and I got booted. I was on there for about 45 seconds and didn't get a single kill. Weird.

NO CAPPING ON HIGH TOWER

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

ctf_asteroid would get me to play ctf

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Jippa posted:

I think I've played tf2 for an embarrassing amount of hours since 2007 and have never played thundermountain.

i'm only wishing i could say the same thing

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

ArfJason posted:

thundermountain is good and stage 3 is one of the best maps in the videogame

For as much as I make Hightower jokes lately, Thundermountain can run entirely too long - like, excruciatingly long - Dota length matches long - getting to that sweet third stage.

Every Casual matchup on Thundermountain I've ever had is either a complete roll for one side and the map changes in about 15 minutes, or you're now about to spend an hour and a half watching 5 of your paste-eating teammates run around ineffectually playing Secret-Agent-Man or repeatedly running head-on by themselves into meatgrinders instead of grouping up and pushing the drat objective.

EDIT: I just played it and the 15 minutes part is inaccurate - I forgot after you finish rolling or being rolled the sides switch. Yeah the map takes ages.

Otacon fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jul 13, 2019

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Galaxander posted:

For all the legitimate complaints about flames being wonky before Jungle Inferno, I think the new flames are worse. DPS scales really artificially, even less "skilled" than before, and easily just drops back to minimum for nonsense reasons.

You're 100% correct - this video confirms your thoughts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqaI5LhNalk

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Max Wilco posted:

Are there any mods for TF2 that I should get? In a couple of videos I've watched, I've seen an alternate HUD that changes things around, but also give you a 3D view of your current character with the cosmetics in the corner instead of the static 2D image.

This is a stock feature, hidden somewhere in an options menu. No idea what HUDs are around these days, but I'm sure others can chime in.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

100% you say?

poo poo i've gotta leave for work in 10 minutes...

edit: rip my ghosts collection i guess, just saw some selling for $5-10/ea, yeah this is kinda hosed up actually lol

Otacon fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jul 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

if you ever wanted to buy a burning flames unusual, nows the time lol