Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

GAME START

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyILU4a7UB8

Civil wars are messy business.

You’ve been around your fair share of them, but they never get any easier. They always go the same way: a terrible dictatorship in some third-world nation gets its people riled up enough that they run off into the jungle and start a communist revolution, which inevitably starts executing people and running drugs in the name of the common man. Whichever side wins, the whole drat country gets torn to shreds and is lucky to return to some semblance of sanity.

That’s how it went with Palinero and the military coup by Fernando Tormens. You don’t even remember that well how it went, considering how fast everything went to poo poo. You got your money and got out, and were living a quiet life in the Caribbean until it all blew over.

Only trouble is, mercenaries need steady work. And now the money is dry.

That’s why you’re taking this new job, one from a client you typically don’t deal with: Russian banks. With the oligarchs in charge down in the ex-Soviet Union, banks hold as much power as they please. They’re incredibly dangerous, with red and gold tentacles extending far across the world. You’re about to become one of those tentacles.

According to the file you’ve got, a Russian “businessman” by the name of Ippolit Bashirov defrauded his partners out of a very tidy sum of money and fled the country. They got the money back into their accounts so Bashirov didn’t get a single kopek, but they’re determined to make an example of him.

Your firm has been contacted by Alexey Rezvi, the head of security for the bank Bashirov made a mockery of. Rezvi has tracked Bashirov to Algeira, the state directly north of Palinero, and wants him dead or alive.

To begin, your party of 5 is arriving in Puerto Viejo on a hot summer’s day. Hopefully you won’t need any more bodies than that, but a quick call back to base should be all that’s needed to summon help.

You don’t have a lot of info on the situation and you aren’t able to smuggle anything but the clothes on your back through security, so you’re meeting at the bar in town to figure out where to go from there; luckily, you have a hired guide who's going to bring some gear and guns for you separately. Besides, the big black market presence means it shouldn't be too hard to get guns with whatever money is left over...

When you begin the game, you have 7 pre-made characters to choose from. They all have different Attributes, but you get 50 Skill points to decide how to upgrade your starting Skills. I've focused on everything related to non-sniping guns, as well as more accurate throwing.

Cameron hopped off the bus in a cloud of dust. The sweaty ride (he'd be surprised if any vehicles in this godforsaken country had working air conditioning) lasted from the previous night until now, a little past 1400 hours. It would have been another few hours to Puerto Viejo....until the drat thing broke down.

There was no OnStar service here. The driver didn't even have a cell phone to call for a tow truck, if he had signal in the first place. They were stuck until it got fixed or someone passing by decided to help them instead of rob and kill them.

So Cameron figured "gently caress this" and decided to walk his drat rear end to the meeting spot.

When a Blue Sun game begins, you get to choose your character class. Each of the 6 classes has skills that cost you less to level up than others. You get a free 3 Attribute points and 3 Skill points when you choose your class to give you a head start on upgrading. I've chosen Scout, as I need to keep Cameron out of the line of fire to avoid any unnecessary loading of saves so there's not much purpose to loading up on guns skills.

A quick look at a character's inventory screen. You can see how there are missing slots because I don't have any load-bearing gear.

Like any good RPG, travel between areas is done through the strategic map. Outside of combat, you can switch to the map view at any time to either rest (which has you stay in one spot and pass the time to heal and increase your energy) or travel elsewhere. In combat, you can only get to the map view by reaching certain highlighted exit points with your entire squad and staying there for a certain amount of time.

Settlements are colored on the map depending on their allegiance: green for the government, red for the rebels, and orange for lawless neutral cities.

While the vanilla game puts you on foot for a while, Blue Sun gives you free access to a car early on if you follow the main quest. You can set the speed of travel on the strategic map, with the slower speeds taking you off-road. Cars are fast, but Algeira is still a big place and it can take a whole day in-game to reach the other side of the country. Your energy drains as you travel, so you may want to rest up for a bit after a long journey.

There are two circles surrounding your party. The blue circle shows how far you can see rebel and government patrols and the red circle shows the range in which you can be spotted by ambushers, both rebels and government when the civil war starts in earnest and random encounters.

As you travel, you’ll be ambushed by bandits, mercenaries, and other enemy factions. An ambush drops you in a random outdoor map near your vehicle and forces you to either escape or kill all of your opponents. Ambushes can be deadly and pit you against large squads, but the loot may be worth sticking it out and defending your honor.

Blue Sun added more than just quests...

The radio periodically updates throughout the game. Notice that there are two stations: Algeira Radio and the Voice of Freedom. Each station tends to report on the same subject simultaneously, but with a pro-government or pro-rebel slant respectively. This includes reporting on your own missions, and you may come to notice some inaccuracies on both sides!

This is the map of Puerto Viejo. Check out the time and day in the corner: it took us over 17 hours to walk here! The map dynamically changes colors as well, with the orange glow of dawn and dusk or turning dark at night.
Right now we're bathed in the warmth of the early morning sun.

Take a look at those green boxes on the map. Those are entry points, and you can split your party between them however you want. Along with having a shorter walk to certain people and objectives if you pick the right point,
in combat situations you can split your party to attack from different directions. These entry points are also where the combat exits are if you want to flee a fight.

Puerto Viejo is the place everyone thinks of when they picture Algeira in their minds, assuming the civil war doesn't overrule it. The beautiful resort town is home to some of the top architecture in Algeira, lining the beautiful beaches and shopping districts. A French couple is speaking quietly and lazily on the steps of the nearby hotel in the early morning.

Cameron doesn't feel incredibly beautiful. His Rothco BDU pants and old Dutch surplus t-shirt are sweaty and grimy after a long night of hitchhiking and walking along the road south. More than once, he ducked into the bushes at the sound of a nearby car just to be on the safe side. His feet ache so badly that he wants nothing more than to take off his boots and dip his toes in the water down on the beach to give them a rest.

But there's a lot of money at stake, and it's money well needed. The bar is just down the road.

A minute's walk later and Cameron has gotten to the old dive. Being a tourist town, this bar appeals to tourists more than most and even has a second story with some rooms for rent. The big neon sign blinking outside even at sunrise makes sure that the most sloshed day drinker can find his hangover cure.

As soon as Cameron opens the door, a voice calls out to him from inside. It's almost like he was expected.

The man is slightly tubby and middle-aged, and he has a clipped RP accent indicative of high education. His suit and black loafers are clearly expensive and tailored to fit him perfectly, and his shirt is buttoned all the way up despite the stifling heat and humidity.

If he's not MI5, he's doubtlessly MI6. This guy is clearly someone with a lot behind him.

"How do you know me?" Cameron asked.

"My friends recommend you as someone who's capable of completing the most delicate of assignments. I represent the interests of a certain superpower and my employer pays very well. I need a small item obtained and delivered to me. How's 12,000 eldo sound?"

It feels like everyone's heard of the Palinero debacle at this point. Is it a good or bad thing when that includes British intelligence?

"You want somebody gone? Sosa? Tanya Tormens? UBL?"

Lond's ears perked up like a German Shepherd's at the last one.

"UBL? Is he here? Do you know where....ah, right. Never mind."

A good sign that this is a game of the 2000s: Osama is still alive.

"No, I don't want anyone killed. At least, not specifically. It's all very simple. I need you to obtain a folder containing top secret files and bring it back to me."

There's no downsides to accepting this quest, as it's a pretty important side quest that gets you something very neat later down the line. That being said, it's also an incredibly difficult side quest and we're better off leaving it until we're truly ready for it.

With Lond heading his own way, Cameron takes up a seat at the bar. A German leans in the smoky corner with an SKS. It's now time to play the waiting game.

A few hours after sitting down with his local cerveza, the door to the bar reopens. Cameron smirks and raises his glass.

"And I thought I was the one who would be late."

Dessert, played by Davin Valkri

Earp, played by Crazycryodude

Linchpin, played by xthetenth

Verchic, played by Quinntan

And here we are! The game proper now begins. We still haven't gotten our orders from Alexey for the Bashirov job, but the world is basically our oyster to a limited extent; there are certain side quests that are locked out until you're at a certain level, so for all the free roaming we're actually quite limited in how much we can do without performing the main quest.

That being said, you all have some options for what to do. You've spotted a few interesting things on the way into the city:

1. First things first, you should probably find Alexey Rezvi and get the details on Ippolit Bashirov. That's why you're here, right?

2. You saw a man of clearly ill repute near the hotel, seemingly looking around for someone to come up and talk to him. You're all currently fighting a war with nothing but the clothes off your backs, so it may behoove you to go find yourself a black market connection and get some guns and gear.

3. There's a lot of people in Puerto Viejo, from tourists to politicians to cops. They may have some information on the area, or at least an interesting story or two.

4. There were some women of the night still plying their trade in the early morning on the lawn behind the hotel. One of them looked a little....off. Maybe you should go investigate?

5. A little theft never hurt anyone, and you're already in the business of murder. You could search around for something to pilfer.

Total Funds: $47,658
Individual Allowance: $9,531

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
Time to get some gats

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Quinntan posted:

Time to get some gats

Yeah, it's kinda hard to play a gun game with no guns.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

I didn't make it out of Ireland alive by strolling into a fight unarmed. Get Guns.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

PROCURE TOTALLY DEFINITELY LEGAL GUNS THAT I TOTALLY WON'T USE FOR WARCRIMING

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
Once you enter the bar you seem to keep calling your guy Gabriel. Is that intentional?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dessert leans across the bar and bats her eyes at the bartender, Arturo. "What does a guy like you have for a girl like me in a place like this?" Smiling, he goes under the bar and begins pulling out weapons and boxes of ammo, surreptitiously showing her as she leans over.

Bartenders are the center of the universe in Algeira, and Blue Sun has expanded their available services immensely.

•Bartenders have their own shop inventories distinct from arms dealers. If the black market dude in the alley out back doesn’t have what you’re looking for, check the bar.

•Bartenders have a radio that you can borrow for hiring mercenaries. Normally they cost a lot of money to find and hire, but for the purposes of this LP I’ll be turning that down so bartenders just act as a new place for the party to call in more members of their team. In the vanilla game, mercs are found waiting around bars to be hired.

•You can purchase slaves from bartenders. Slaves are ultra-cheap mercs of limited skill, mostly useful for cannon fodder or pack mules. They do take up a party slot, so keep that in mind when you want to buy them.

•There are two additional mini-campaigns, Boot Camp and The Evolution of Weapons, that can be accessed from the bartender. I won’t be playing these, as they just involve your solo merc being dropped off with a gun and forced to fight ever-increasing numbers of enemies.

•You can pay 100 eldos to a bartender to store your vehicle and everything inside it. I’m not sure why this is useful apart from a repair exploit, but you can do it.

•You can slip bartenders a little cash to tell you about job offers around Algeira, which are mainly just delivery jobs for a little money. There's a few bigger quests that you need to talk to a bartender about, though.

•You can store items in a locker with the bartender if you don’t have enough space but want to keep them on hand.

•In one of the few out-of-character actions, you can reset all the random quests here.

Next to her, Cameron turns to the man wearing a white guayabera shirt nearby. "What's your profession?"

"Gunsmith, senor!" he proudly chirps. "My name is Miguel!"

"You sell guns, Miguel?"

"Indeed, come around back!"

At the same time, Verchic heads out onto the hot summer streets of Puerto Viejo. The crowd is just now starting to appear out on the sidewalks, heading for the restaurants offering breakfast and the stores that open early with Panama hats and locally made dresses for sale. She eyes one particular man, dressed differently from the rest of the crowd: a black leather vest left unbuttoned over a bare chest.

Alfredo and Alexey both mention keeping your gun concealed, but in reality it doesn't matter as far as I can see. You can open carry an RPG-7 into the president's house and nobody bats an eye, and everyone who has a gun has it in their hand at all times.

Here's how shops are going to work:

There's a fuckton of items in this game, far beyond just guns and ammo. Every shop post would be insanely long and wreck your browser with the amount of pictures it would take to show every item in detail.

So what I'm going to do is provide a simple text list of everything the shop has, along with prices. If you want to buy something sight unseen, I won't question it. If you ask for more details on a specific item, I'll post a picture and all of its details (including how many grid squares it takes up). Once we get load-bearing gear on you, make sure to tell me where it's going on your person and I'll make sure you have pictures of your loadout. For now, all you have are two 2x2 pockets, consisting of 4 individual grid squares each.

Also, you don't need to exclusively buy from just the merchant your character talks to! In the game, you buy from a single money pool and can put items into any merc's inventory straight from the shop screen. All items are open to all mercs as long as they don't get bought first.

All prices are per unit. Magazines are sold with one full load of ammo in them unless otherwise stated.

Arturo Seuta

Weapons
* x1 Mauser M712 (7.62x25mm): $878
* x1 Sawed-Off Shotgun (12 Gauge): $338
* x1 Beretta M1951 (9x19mm): $676

Ammo
* x2 50-round boxes of .38 Special FMJ: $82
* x1 50-round box of .45 ACP FMJ: $71
* x8 50-round boxes of 9x18mm 57-N-181S: $65
* x3 50-round boxes of 9x18mm surplus: $68
* x4 50-round boxes of 9x19mm FMJ: $100
* x6 10-round boxes of 12 Gauge buckshot: $57
* x3 7-round M1911 magazines (.45 ACP): $58
* x4 8-round TT-33 magazines (7.62x25mm): $53
* x2 10-round Mauser M712 magazines (7.62x25mm): $19

Explosives
* x1 M67 grenade: $231
* x1 Model 24 Stielhandgranate: $190
* x1 M84 stun grenade: $443

Melee Weapons
* x1 Bowie Knife: $243
* x2 Throwing Knives: $48
* x1 Crowbar: $70

Load-Bearing Gear
* x1 Holster Belt: $339

Miguel Casas

Weapons
* x1 Colt Single Action Army (.357 Magnum): $789
* x1 MAT-49 (9x19mm): $928
* x1 Micro-Uzi (9x19mm): $1020
* x1 Sawed-Off Shotgun (12 Gauge): $324
* x1 Remington 870 Express (12 Gauge): $1223

Ammo
* x1 50-round box of .45 Colt LFN: $76
* x5 50-round boxes of .45 ACP FMJ: $68
* x2 50-round boxes of 9x18mm 57-N-181S: $68
* x1 50-round box of 9x18mm surplus: $64
* x3 50-round boxes of 9x19mm surplus: $74
* x5 10-round boxes of 12 Gauge buckshot: $55
* x7 20-round boxes of .30-06 FMJ: $84
* x4 20-round boxes of 7.92x57mm FMJ: $55
* x7 500-round cans of .38 Special JHP: $388
* x9 8-round Makarov magazines (9x18mm): $52

Explosives
* x1 M84 stun grenade: $493

Melee Weapons
* x1 Throwing Knife: $49

Load-Bearing Gear
* x1 Holster Belt: $355

Miscellaneous
* x1 Canteen: $97
* x1 Vertical Cleaning Kit: $386
* x1 Duct Tape: $10

Alfredo Balboa

Weapons
* x1 Makarov (9x18mm): $479
* x2 Beretta M1951 (9x19mm): $585
* x2 Colt M1911A1 (.45 ACP): $534
* x1 Tokarev TT-33 (7.62x25mm): $681
* x1 Micro-Uzi (9x19mm): $912
* x1 Sawed-Off Shotgun (12 Gauge): $314
* x1 Remington 870 Express (12 Gauge): $1181

Ammo
* x6 50-round boxes of .38 Special FMJ: $79
* x4 50-round boxes of .45 ACP FMJ: $72
* x7 50-round boxes of 9x19mm FMJ: $101
* x6 50-round boxes of 9x19mm surplus: $80
* x5 boxes of 7.62x25mm FMJ: $93
* x9 7-round M1911 magazines (.45 ACP): $51
* x3 8-round Makarov magazines (9x18mm): $54
* x6 8-round TT-33 magazines (7.62x25mm): $58

Explosives
* x1 M84 stun grenade: $474

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Oct 28, 2017

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Grizzwold posted:

Once you enter the bar you seem to keep calling your guy Gabriel. Is that intentional?

Complete accident! I originally made the test post with Gabriel, another of the available starting mercs. I switched to Cameron after redoing all the screenshots but forgot to replace the name a few times when copying and pasting the text.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Pistols and shotguns. How dreadfully sporting.

That mauser M712, is that a schnellfeuer, and is it fed off clips or box mags?

God, it's even hard to come by a decent sized magazine. Double stacked magazines are a thing for a reason.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 28, 2017

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

3x3 size

Nicknamed the Schnellfeuer, the Mauser M712 is a machine pistol version of the famous Mauser C96.

The C96 was the first mass produced semi-automatic handgun to achieve true success, seeing worldwide orders everywhere from South America to Imperial Russia. It uniquely places the magazine in front of the trigger guard, with a distinctive “broomhandle” grip; the original guns have a fixed magazine that has to be loaded with a stripper clip, but the M712 uses detachable box magazines. The German machine pistols were only produced from 1932 until 1936, and saw limited service during World War II. They were also exported to South America and China and were used during the Spanish Civil War.

The M712 in the game uses 7.62x25mm Tokarev rounds, which are identical to the old 7.63x25mm Mauser round but loaded hotter. This isn't recommended in real life to avoid battering your gun, but it can be done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqfpxqIK8VY

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Oct 28, 2017

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Pity that it doesn't have a stock. How are those shotguns at range? It looks like I'm not the fastest gun in the western hemisphere, but if I aim in with a shotgun and/or pistol will it use the regular shooting that I'm less bad at?

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 28, 2017

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sawed-off won't be that great since you can't shoulder it, but the spread is realistic instead of Call of Duty "evaporates after 30 feet". With slugs and optics, you can get 50 yards or more with a good gun. With buckshot, it's pretty easy to hit but each pellet only does a little damage.

3x3 size

When you need something to rob a convenience store or assassinate a mobster with, this is what you reach for. Probably because if you’re using a sawed-off shotgun you have like $50 to buy a gun and it’s either this or the little .25.

This is simply a double-barreled shotgun with the barrels and stock sawed down as far as they’ll comfortably go. It’s impossible to aim properly without risking a whack to the nose and it only has two shots, but those two shots are devastating up close. The dual triggers also allow for a very fast follow-up shot in case you need more than one.

These guns are common all over Algeira, as any “bad neighborhood” will have these practically raining from the sky and Algeira is just one big bad neighborhood. I wouldn’t try sniping with slugs, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9HYCBPSo0A

5x5 size

The most produced shotgun on the planet (and for good reason), the Remington 870 entered production in 1950 and hit the 10 millionth gun in April 2009.

The Remington 870 is as typical as a pump-action shotgun can get, with a tubular magazine of variable size. Along with civilian use, the gun is in service with innumerable police and military forces around the world. Chinese manufacturer Norinco has also made unlicensed copies, like you would expect from China.

Unfortunately, this model is a field gun with a humongous barrel and 4-round magazine. It’s better than a sawed-off and will be pretty accurate out to medium range, but a proper combat shotgun will go far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-ioLoNPD5I

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Oct 28, 2017

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Why am I tempted to get an 870?

Actually, is that MAT 49 much good, I think it's the only non-shotgun that has a stock.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Alright I'll take:
Remington 870 Express from Balboa: $1181
5x boxes of buckshot from Casas: $275
Colt Single Action Army (.357 Magnum) from Casas: $789
Holster belt from Seuta: $339
Vertical cleaning kit: $386
M67 grenade: $231

Total: $3201
($6330 left in personal allotment)

Question: does the crowbar have any utility beyond bashing people with (opening doors, crates, whatever?). If not, I might drop it in favor of a knife or just no melee weapon at all.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Oct 28, 2017

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Crazycryodude posted:

Question: does the crowbar have any utility beyond bashing people with (opening doors, crates, whatever?). If not, I might drop it in favor of a knife or just no melee weapon at all.

To my knowledge, no. It's just a melee weapon. Crates and doors either can or can't be opened.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

And melee weapons are basically useless because if you're close enough to use it you're either dead or might as well just shoot them, right?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Pretty much. You have to be really ballsy and lucky to effectively use a melee weapon here for anything except delivering a coup-de-grace. Just like in real life, getting shot sucks.

Also, you're exceeding your current inventory a bit. Each box of ammo takes up 1 grid square; your holster belt includes an ammo pouch that can hold one box, but after the other 5 boxes of buckshot you have only 1 grid square and a vertical 2-square slot left that can accept the canteen or cleaning kit. You'd have no room for the duct tape or grenades. If you took a melee weapon, you'd also need to keep your shotgun slung on your back and hold the melee weapon.

Oh, and the M24 takes up 2 grid squares vertically because of its size.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

3x3 size

A French submachine gun, this wouldn’t be nearly as well-known as it is if it weren’t for the Vietnam War.

The MAT-49 was a post-war gun using the common 9x19mm Parabellum round instead of France’s wacky 7.65mm rounds that they insisted on using instead of something sensible. Along with having a telescoping wire stock, the magazine well can be folded underneath the barrel for compact storage or parachuting. The guns are found everywhere the French had colonial influence, and that includes leaving a lot of them behind after leaving Indochina. Many of them were used by the Viet Cong against American and South Vietnamese troops, sometimes rechambered in 7.62x25mm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mhlm-J4Wg_g

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Alright, so I'll lose the crowbar, canteen, duct tape, and M24. That should then leave me with the shotty in my hands, the revolver in the holster, the box of .38 Special in the belt, the buckshot taking 5/8 pocket squares, the cleaning kit making it 7/8, and then the M67 taking up the last square?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also I just did some testing, and this game does not simulate loading a .357 Magnum with .38 Special. The SAA thus currently does not have any ammo for sale from the Puerto Viejo vendors. I'll purchase everything but the revolver and ammo for you, though.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 28, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Aw drat, that sucks. I still think I want the gun because revolvers are awesome, it'll just sit mostly unused until some ammo shows up for it (ammo will show up for it, right?).

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Oct 28, 2017

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Yeah, it shouldn't be long. Along with shops, you always have the "battlefield pickup" option of restocking.

Also, don't worry too much about your current inventory limits. It sucks, but if you follow the right path you'll stumble upon a vehicle pretty quickly and you'll have more space for storage.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

3x3 size

A French submachine gun, this wouldn’t be nearly as well-known as it is if it weren’t for the Vietnam War.

The MAT-49 was a post-war gun using the common 9x19mm Parabellum round instead of France’s wacky 7.65mm rounds that they insisted on using instead of something sensible. Along with having a telescoping wire stock, the magazine well can be folded underneath the barrel for compact storage or parachuting. The guns are found everywhere the French had colonial influence, and that includes leaving a lot of them behind after leaving Indochina. Many of them were used by the Viet Cong against American and South Vietnamese troops, sometimes rechambered in 7.62x25mm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mhlm-J4Wg_g

I want me a dumb foldable French smg if there's ammo for it. I'll work out the remainder of the details in a bit.

Probably 150 rounds. Holster belt if the mat fits in it. Does it or the Beretta use magazines on sale? That's my one concern with the French gimmick gun.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Oct 28, 2017

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

xthetenth posted:

I want me a dumb foldable French smg if there's ammo for it. I'll work out the remainder of the details in a bit.

Probably 150 rounds. Holster belt if the mat fits in it. Does it or the Beretta use magazines on sale? That's my one concern with the French gimmick gun.

There aren't currently any magazines on sale, but MAT-49s are some of the most common SMGs among Algeiran criminals and rebels. Mags will start appearing in large numbers after two or three quests. Only 2x2 handguns and certain handgun-sized SMGs (like the Micro Uzi or MP5K with their stock folded) will fit in a holster, so the MAT-49 is too large.

The Beretta 951, in a moment of inaccuracy with this game, actually uses 15-round Beretta 92 mags. These aren't available at the moment, but are common in a little bit.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
Holster belt ($355 from Casas)
Makarov ($479 from Balboa)
5 magazines of 9x18mm Makarov ($260 from Casas)
Two boxes of 9x18mm Makarov 57-N-181S to keep dumped in the car ($136 from Casas)
Canteen ($97 from Casas)
Duct tape ($10 from Casas)
Crowbar ($70 from Sueta)

That should leave me with about 8 grand left.

Am I right in thinking there's no medical supplies available?

xthetenth posted:

Far as I can figure, the only things that have magazines available are the Tokarev, Makarov, M1911 and the Mauser.

Quinntan fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Oct 28, 2017

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

All guns come with a magazine, at least.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Quinntan posted:

Holster belt ($355 from Casas)
Makarov ($479 from Balboa)
5 magazines of 9x18mm Makarov ($260 from Casas)
Two boxes of 9x18mm Makarov 57-N-181S to keep dumped in the car ($136 from Casas)
Canteen ($97 from Casas)
Duct tape ($10 from Casas)
Crowbar ($70 from Sueta)

That should leave me with about 8 grand left.

Am I right in thinking there's no medical supplies available?

Far as I can figure, the only things that have magazines available are the Tokarev, Makarov, M1911 and the Mauser.

Correct, there are no medical supplies for sale currently. Other vendors have other items for sale around Algeira, so this is just what's in Puerto Viejo.

Also, you have only 2 slots vertically oriented left after buying the magazines and ammo. A canteen takes up 2 slots vertically, so you can have the duct tape or the canteen with your remaining space and will need to hold the crowbar in your hands until you get a backpack or car.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
In that case dump one of the boxes of ammo. I thought we had a car available, my mistake.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Verchic's inventory after the purchase:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also, here's the Makarov weapon card since it was bought sight unseen.

2x2 size

The Makarov holds the ignominious distinction of being the weakest firearm in the game without Mercapocalypse adding guns down to .22 caliber.

The Makarov pistol (officially just called the PM in Soviet service) became the standard sidearm of the Soviet Union in 1951 and spread everywhere that Soviet influence reached. Because Palinero and several other Central and South American nations were under Soviet control, Algeira has plenty. It’s very similar in design to a heavier Walther PP and chambered for a 9.2mm round, the 9x18mm Makarov. It’s a simple blowback design without any locking of the breech, relying on the slide’s weight and heavy recoil spring to keep the breech closed until pressure after firing is down to a safe level; the 9x18mm round is generally considered the most powerful round you can have in a straight blowback pistol without the comically oversized slide of a Hi-Point.

The gun is overall extremely simple and reliable, with a minimum of parts that are easy to repair in the field. However, its weaker round is indicative of its place in early 20th century European militaries where handguns were more of a badge of rank for officers rather than a close combat weapon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsoJOjt25vU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

I'm stuck on my phone for a while. Could someone do the MAT, a stiehlhandgrenate, and three boxes of surplus parabellum for me? I'll donate my spare pocket space to carrying duct tape or any thing else.

(you have no idea how badly I want to larp the Chinese warlord era with a mauser)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

xthetenth posted:

I'm stuck on my phone for a while. Could someone do the MAT, a stiehlhandgrenate, and three boxes of surplus parabellum for me? I'll donate my spare pocket space to carrying duct tape or any thing else.

(you have no idea how badly I want to larp the Chinese warlord era with a mauser)

I’m on mobile for a few hours, but I’ll get it when I return if there’s no objections

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
For xthetenth
MAT-49 ($928 from Casas)
Model 24 Stielhandgranate ($190 from Sueta)
Three boxes of 50 rounds of 9mm Parabellum ($222 from Casas)
Total: $1340
Remaining: $8041

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
I have no idea which ones to take that won't mess up someone else. Can I see a Micro-Uzi and an M1911 to start off, since there's more than one of those still on the table?

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
You’re the last one picking, Davin and iirc vendor inventories will change as the game goes so pick whatever you want from the trash we left ya :p

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Quinntan posted:

You’re the last one picking, Davin and iirc vendor inventories will change as the game goes so pick whatever you want from the trash we left ya :p

I don't know what Chitoryu/Cameron needs, though. But okay then. Let's see...

Dessert seems to be a generalist so...

• x1 Remington 870 Express (12 Gauge): $1223 (Casas)
  • x6 10-round boxes of 12 Gauge buckshot: $57 * 6 = $342
Total spent: $1565

I can't believe you all took the LBE grumble grumble...

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Oct 29, 2017

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

And if you want it when we find me something with rifle caliber bullets and a stock, I'll hand over this SMG.

Wait. I'm a mercenary. I'll trade it in to you if you want for affordable financing for something with some drat glass up top. Maybe if I'm real lucky I can get an Armalite or something heavy. I miss firepower. gently caress trading shots when you don't have to just because for some reason the fools in this country can't smuggle the good stuff.

Yeah, I want to buy something with pockets too. I can't complain about priorities though, this place has poo poo for guns too, so gently caress all for pockets makes sense. Oh well, the space got bought and it's getting used. Maybe I can drink some backpacker under the drat table and nick his bag?

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Oct 29, 2017

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Davin Valkri posted:

I don't know what Chitoryu/Cameron needs, though. But okay then. Let's see...

Dessert seems to be a generalist so...

• x1 Remington 870 Express (12 Gauge): $1223 (Casas)
  • x6 10-round boxes of 12 Gauge buckshot: $57 * 6 = $342
  • x1 Colt M1911A1 (.45 ACP): $534
  • x3 7-round M1911 magazines (.45 ACP): $58 * 3 = $174
  • x1 50-round boxes of .45 ACP FMJ: $68
Total spent: $2341
Left Over: $7190

I can't believe you all took the LBE grumble grumble...

Still mobile, but because you don’t have a holster you’ll need to take up an entire pocket with the 1911. That leaves you with 4 grid squares for tiny items like boxes of ammo or pistol magazines.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also, your individual allowance is simply the total cash reserves of the party divided among everyone. It’ll reset anew when the party begins buying again.

As long as you don’t exceed your allowance without permission from the other party members, you’ll be fine. Don’t need to do math yourself to figure out how much you have left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

2x2 size

My favorite handgun in the world, possibly my favorite firearm. As the name suggests, the M1911 series entered US military service in 1911 and continues to see service in a modified form today. The patents on its design date back even further to the 1900s, so this gun’s existence is a pretty good sign that John Browning knew what he was doing.

The M1911A1 is specifically the variant from 1921 with a few modifications to make the design a bit more comfortable, like an arched mainspring housing and a longer beavertail on the back to protect the hand from the recoiling hammer. The massive number of pistols made for World War II meant that production for military contracts was ceased in 1945 except for some special orders, so almost every surviving military M1911A1 is actually an amalgamation of parts from many different sources to keep the guns in service. The popularity of the 1911 meant that even when the M9 replaced it, units kept holding onto their guns as long as possible and new pistols from companies like Kimber and Springfield Armory are still being issued today.

The biggest problem with the M1911A1 in this form is that it’s too basic, with a default 7-round magazine. The .45 ACP round is big but not as mythical as some would claim, and there’s nothing you can do to accessorize this simple model.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvQWGKxYujs

3x3 size (2x2 with stock folded)

The smallest Uzi, about the size of a large pistol and capable of being kept in pistol holsters with the stock folded.

Every Uzi model has a higher rate of fire the smaller they get, and the Micro Uzi is a bullet hose. Introduced in 1986, these guns seem like they’re just begging to be dual wielded while leaping out a window.

Like with any tiny automatic weapon, you trade a lot of controllability and accuracy to use this. The good news is it can use all Uzi family magazines, so fill it with 32 rounds and go to town.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zM21B3LFDFI

• Locked thread