Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

If possible, I'd like in. I've put hours into this game (thanks to whoever did the first LP), and always wind up surrendering to the deadliest enemy of all - the camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Does the Mercapocalypse mod still have the issue where you can't get mags and ammo for half the guns you can buy, but can easily buy ammo for guns that aren't available unless you get lucky with loot? I was never sure if that was deliberate or not.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Precisely the example I was thinking of. I remember being thoroughly annoyed at salvaging several Moison-Nagants from an ambush, and not being able to feed them, while there's all this useless German ammo in the shop.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

chitoryu12 posted:

All doors that can be opened are instantly opened or closed when activated.

You can shoot through doors and walls :getin:

Subject to bugs, and the projectiles have to penetrate, of course. It is entirely possible to blow yourself away with a shotgun trying to do this - I've done it.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

One of the few "Hollywood" aspects of this game is that Every Bullet Is A Tracer (as in, they all leave visible streaks), so tracer rounds would have no use.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

The difference between timed and impact can be a bit of a trap as well.

At least for other people. I've certainly never killed half my squad because I forgot my grenade was impact fused and tried to bounce it.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

bunnyofdoom posted:

Real world: Algeria

This game: Algeira

Basically the I jumps to the other side of the R

I never noticed that, and just assumed the dev team didn't own a map.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

All guns come with a magazine, at least.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

One thing that somebody might consider important - the dropped UZI has a 25-round magazine. I'm pretty sure that the ones we've seen in the shop only had 20-rounders, so that magazine might be a little more valuable even if nobody wants that particular variety of UZI.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

chitoryu12 posted:

Show of hands: who's going to shape this into a butterfly as a joke?

I don't get it.

Also, what might be hard to believe is that we're at the high point of Blue Sun's dialog. Yes, it gets worse. Much worse.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Comparing guns in this game is really complex. An example is in order.

Quoting your MAT for comparison.

The MP5 has three major advantages over the MAT, one slight advantage, one slight disadvantage, and one feature that could go either way. The MAT is full-auto only, which means you'll never know exactly how many shots you'll fire unless you deliberately empty the magazine. The MP5 not only allows single-shot fire, but also has a three round burst setting that gives you the best of both worlds - you get multiple shots per attack opportunity, but you'll always fire exactly three shots. These are the first two - the last big advantage is the fact that the MP5 fires a bullet every .07 seconds in full auto instead of the MAT's every .10 - a 30% increase. It is also slightly more accurate. The MAT compensates by being slightly but noticeably handier (taking .02 fewer seconds to bring it to the ready - this can be enough to matter), and the push is that the two weapons have different accessory options.

The magazine situation is more complicated. You only have one (or is it one 30-round and one 15-round? I always wind up with a SPAS and have never seen this option before) MP5 mag (with no immediate options for getting more) right now, and the magazines are somewhat smaller. The lower ammunition expenditure can compensate for the second part, but the first one could be a big problem.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Also, the dialogue is the same no matter who your main merc is - which is highly noticeable with the BSM dialog because some of the main mercs you can choose are female.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

chitoryu12 posted:

The grenade goes off with an ear-popping blast, but their cover keeps both submachine gunners safe from harm.

This is a really good shot of how grenades work in this game, illustrating just how many fragments are flying and how much damage they can do.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Gooch181 posted:

I love this game way too much, in no small part thanks to Sperglord's LP. This is a neat way of doing thing's and I'm glad I found it.

Shotgun/revolver advice: as you get more LBE if you find yourself primarily using a weapon that isn't magazine fed, consider dedicating one of your pockets to an unboxed pile of shells. Not only can you stack them larger if I remember right, but your reloads will be a lot faster as you skip the unboxing step.

Even better is to have a stack of exactly as many as your gun holds. That way you skip the "putting stuff back in your pocket" step.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Antistar01 posted:

What does the "Penetr." stat mean, exactly? Something to do with how it interacts with the penetration value of different ammo types presumably, but in my own game I'm still pretty foggy on how it works. Is a higher or lower value better? How much of an effect does it have? That sort of thing.

The manual doesn't seem to cover that, which is a shame. This game is complicated enough to need a good manual.

I'm not sure of the mechanics, but more penetration is better.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Knew this one would be hilariously short, not disappointed. This was an absurd amount of firepower to bring to this fight - sometimes you can win this with a single shotgun shell.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Running away is the right move here. Unfortunately, you can't easily do it without a fight, as you'll have to capture an exit point to escape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

chitoryu12 posted:

You just need to have everyone standing in an exit point for 10 seconds. The timer is individual and doesn't require everyone to be in the same exit point, which just means if you want to escape you'll need to pick whichever one is the best compromise between distance from the enemy and speed to reach.

My point was more that you still have to fight your way to one, so there's no easy way to get out without fighting.

• Locked thread