Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

The unreasonable demands of late stage capitalism getting you down?

Why not quit your job and play MMOs all day?

Sounds like a great plan!

Recovery of an MMO Junkie/Netoju no Susume/Recommendation of the wonderful virtual life is a josei romance comedy anime adapting a web-manga by Rin Kokuyō.

quote:

30-year-old Moriko is single and recently became a NEET after quitting her corporate job. Tired of the real world, she decides to reinvent herself as a handsome male character on the internet.

It's good and cute.

Main characters

Moriko Morioka/Hayashi

Our hero. 30 years old, and a woman. Quit the daily grind, to become an elite NEET. Can't stop hammering the cry emote.

Lily

Our heroine. Surprisingly adorbs

Watch it on Crunchyroll if you like adorably sweet romances with dangerously relatable characters.
http://www.crunchyroll.com/recovery-of-an-mmo-junkie

Yes, the MMO is literally called Seafood Online.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Oct 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
This is my new drama lama after the letdown that was Gamers.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
If they had someone who is very very drunk playing guitar on voice chat this would be closer to my MMO experience. Love the show anyway and is starting to get me thinking about what lovely MMO I could play for a few weeks before giving up.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

:thinking:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh! Nice catch!

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
This show has me melting, and I never would have expected it.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
love this show so far

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The face of refreshment.

And I'm glad our heroine is doing better now.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Moriko's va is the best, she really sells it.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Have shoujo delusion gags ever not owned?

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
The nightmare interpretations of corporate life are really striking in between the cute romance and MMO bits. I haven’t watched episode 3 yet, but I’m really looking forward to that being explored more.

This is like a much better take on Netoge no Yome from a few season ago.

When Moriko came home from work the last time, she has a bouquet. Is that customary, or did she tell her work that she was quitting to get married or something?

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I assumed it was a farewell thing, like maybe they had a small party for her.

The folks working at midnight reminded of all the sad sad salarymen going home on the first train when I went back after a night of partying in Shibuya. Man, gently caress that.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I assumed it was a farewell thing, like maybe they had a small party for her.

The folks working at midnight reminded of all the sad sad salarymen going home on the first train when I went back after a night of partying in Shibuya. Man, gently caress that.

One must do what is expected of them.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

brainwrinkle posted:

When Moriko came home from work the last time, she has a bouquet. Is that customary, or did she tell her work that she was quitting to get married or something?

I assume it's just a formality thing. This isn't really the same thing, but I see japanese TV shows see actors off with bouquets after their last appearance.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

chumbler posted:

The face of refreshment.

And I'm glad our heroine is doing better now.

I like that they show her unhealthy habits and worn-out appearance from time to time as a reminder that this really isn't a great lifestyle.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I feel personally called out by this show. :negative:

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Pollyanna posted:

I feel personally called out by this show. :negative:

Is it because of the plushy body pillow?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I thought someone had died and she just quit her job, but I guess it could just be that she was fed up with stress.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Something gave me the impression she was laid off, not quit herself. Quitting your job to become NEET-by-choice, I sure hope she's got some good savings.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

I thought someone had died and she just quit her job, but I guess it could just be that she was fed up with stress.

Those two aren’t necessarily all that separate from each other (‘karoshi’ is a word a whole bunch of languages could stand to borrow), but yeah, I think workplace bullying is probably going to be the most dramatic her reason for quitting could turn out to be.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

nielsm posted:

Something gave me the impression she was laid off, not quit herself. Quitting your job to become NEET-by-choice, I sure hope she's got some good savings.

They have already mentioned she resigned.

She probably has enough money saved up for a few years, so she decided to take a while off from all of the stress. I know a few people irl who have done the same thing.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I don't know if we ever got a name for this character so my headcanon now is that MMO Junkie is the sequel to Shirobako after the studio gets bought up by a big company.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

There Bias Two posted:

Is it because of the plushy body pillow?

I am the plushy body pillow.

Enjoying the show so far, but i'm interested how deep they will go into mori's prior work life.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

As a thirty something former MMO addict (no longer a NEET tho) this show is way too loving real

also its cute, and good

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ViggyNash posted:

Moriko's va is the best, she really sells it.
Funny thing is that, for the longest time, Mamiko Noto was known for being very pidgeon-holed to just doing "cute / quiet" voices. While I used to love her work as Hell Girl and similar characters, I think that around the time that she started voicing characters like Sawako that I became a fan. :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpQ9oTe8gt0&t=110s

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
This seems like a generally useful gif.

:edit:

One detail I like is during the character creation bit in the intro, when it comes to Lily, her hair and mantle do that little jump that happens when the physics system kicks in.

Also if you aren't going to leave it in French, I'd say the name would be "Bounty of the Sea Online". Although so far there's only been that one scene related to the ocean.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Oct 22, 2017

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Welp, Sakurai's coworker sure is a piece of work huh. I'm also excited to see that Sakurai knows now...

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I cracked up at the husband and wife sharing a character

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Allarion posted:

I cracked up at the husband and wife sharing a character

Account sharing is illegal, they're going to jail.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I love how they show a lively, animated in-game discussion, and then cut to one player staring at the chat box on the screen.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

nielsm posted:

I love how they show a lively, animated in-game discussion, and then cut to one player staring at the chat box on the screen.

Or the emote they are using.

This show really manages to capture the spirit of being in an MMO guild in way I haven't seen any other show come close to. Jokes like having a small character get swallowed by a larger characters model are both hilarious even if you haven't played an MMO and incredibly relatable if you have.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Vorpal Cat posted:

Or the emote they are using.

This show really manages to capture the spirit of being in an MMO guild in way I haven't seen any other show come close to. Jokes like having a small character get swallowed by a larger characters model are both hilarious even if you haven't played an MMO and incredibly relatable if you have.

Yeah a lot of the character interactions crack me up because i can distinctly recall an instance where someone I played an MMO with did the same thing.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I wish there was more of this right now.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

This series was a slow boil, but is really starting to hit its stride. All the small visual details are fantastic, and MoriMori's VA is knocking it out of the park.

I believe in the wingman coworker.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
I'm not sure if the coworker is actually trying for a relationship with Moriko or if he is just trying to play matchmaker between Sakurai and Moriko, I'm leaning towards matchmaker but I could see a triangle developing.

Anyway, super cute episode as usual. :3:

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I want to believe that the coworker is playing matchmaker because Lily wouldn’t hang out with scumbags.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
People of all nations live in fear of the Desire Sensor.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Beasteh posted:

this show is way too loving real
this

and yeah it's pretty great so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Paracelsus posted:

People of all nations live in fear of the Desire Sensor.

Out of all the somewhat relatable things in this show, that whole bit hit home the hardest for me by far.

• Locked thread