Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Darth Walrus posted:

Which one? The girl in the red dress was Koiwai’s avatar, and the girl standing at the door was the catgirl guild member.

The one at the door. Mostly curious because she's basically never seen elsewhere. I figured it was probably Lilac but it just felt weird to include her there and nowhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Argas posted:

The one at the door. Mostly curious because she's basically never seen elsewhere. I figured it was probably Lilac but it just felt weird to include her there and nowhere else.

They confirmed it was Lilac in the show. We see her outside of the game early on.

The manga was only just starting her arc when it went on the possibly permanent hiatus.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Alder posted:

Someone told me EQ was a game for broken ppl...

Anyways, what's stopping players from spending time around town hubs or MB? Ik I see tons of them around the endgame locations and chatting. The overworld map has some FATES/events up and Hunts which bring some people around to check areas.

In FFXIV they just added cross-world FL and now you can create parties w/friends on different worlds and then meet up for raids/PF. Ofc the most difficult problem isn't finding people but trying to synchronize schedules across time zones.

That would be an accurate statement. I played it a lot. :(

As for the rest, sure people can idle around town or go hunting/dungeoning together but the former doesn't lend itself to stories like the one in this show since that's just standing around talking and the latter barely does since hunts/fates are focused on the fight or objective and over in a few minutes and dungeons don't have downtime to allow for much interaction. It's just pull-pull-pull-boss repeat. Old games had roaming mobs and lots of people moving around in un-instanced areas, plus clunky game mechanics like sitting for a few minutes between fights to regenerate MP and poo poo. Nothing that I would ever want back, but stuff that allowed people to sit around and BS -while- playing the game, rather than racing from objective to objective and only really interacting by choosing to stop progressing for a while.

Again, I'm definitely not saying that old games were better or anything, I just think they allowed for more interaction and connections with other people. If Hayashi and Lily had been playing FFXIV, their meeting would've gone completely differently, or rather I don't think it would've happened at all. The giant rat monster Morimori died to repeatedly which allowed Sakurai to notice her struggling would've been an instanced Duty with tutorial characters to teach her how to play and gear herself properly and then she'd be off to the next story quest. Unless you go out of your way to meet people, there's no real reason to interact with anyone outside of dungeons until the endgame in FFXIV, so these kind of partnerships that they romanticize in MMO anime can't happen, or at least not nearly as easily and naturally as they did in older (worse) games.

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Dec 10, 2017

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Again, I'm definitely not saying that old games were better or anything,

You'd be right though, old games weren't afraid of experimentation like modern games are. Only the indie scene experiments and because the indie scene isn't going to make an MMO, most MMOs are basically going to be stuck in a rut of arrested development.

They turn money because they are essentially giant gambling halls and kinda ought to be illegal in the same way people react to loot boxes these days.

We need a big gaming crash, basically.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Mordaedil posted:

You'd be right though, old games weren't afraid of experimentation like modern games are. Only the indie scene experiments and because the indie scene isn't going to make an MMO, most MMOs are basically going to be stuck in a rut of arrested development.

They turn money because they are essentially giant gambling halls and kinda ought to be illegal in the same way people react to loot boxes these days.

We need a big gaming crash, basically.

They weren't afraid of experimentation but they also often had no idea what they were doing and that often included balance. The social experience in a lot of older games basically existed to fill dead air a lot of the time because old MMOs didn't know how to make use of the player's time.

That said, I've had plenty of chitchat in dungeons and whatnot. It does slow you down a little bit but I've never had a party that told me to shut up with my lame and stupid puns. Plus, making puns as BLM is pretty easy due to cast times. It's still a far cry away from the scenarios depicted in the anime though but I have no idea how Asian F2P cash shop MMOs tend to be these days.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Supposed to be based off of this:

http://mabinogi.nexon.net

I haven't played it in ages, but I did see an ad for it at some point during the show.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Oh man, I remember Mabinogi. It definitely felt similar to really old MMOs in some ways.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Anyone remember the goon guild "Big in Korea" that was around for Mabinogi at release?

We named it after this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl6u2NASUzU

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Good OVA.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
That was fun. :3: Such good dorks.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Give us another season of episodes like that.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

I'm not even halfway done with the up but i'm already :kimchi:

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
obsessive-compulsive lint rolling

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm just getting around to finishing this, and I assume there is or will be a douj where the path diverges and it is Koiwai waiting on the bench, not being a bystander and the world's best bro (who still crossed few too many boundaries).

Edit: Can't rule out Moriko's stomach as MVP, though.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Dec 21, 2017

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh these two.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/mebachi/status/945286519958335488

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
dang this was a good series

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Just watched the last episode and I was grinning the entire time

I love those goofy idiots and they need to have children

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Just watched the last ep, what a good series i'm so happy they both overcame their shyness and HELD HANDS DAWWW at the end. :3

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Huh. Glad I didn't bother in that case.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Now this is the content I come for

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

I watched this, it was very very good. Can anyone recommend Josei anime like this, with a similar tone?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Someone picked up scanlating the original webtoon: https://bato.to/comic/_/comics/netojuu-no-susume-r15607

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Alder posted:

Someone picked up scanlating the original webtoon: https://bato.to/comic/_/comics/netojuu-no-susume-r15607

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Might be better to link to the scanlation group directly, since batoto is about to disappear

http://traumereiscans.blogspot.com/

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
https://twitter.com/MadScientist212/status/960686360683102209

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

*tires screech*

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:wtc:

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

No not the milkshake duck.

soupcan58
Mar 13, 2008

You blew my mind, man!

Oh for fucks sake. :bang:

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Oh look, more posts in the MMO Junkie thread! Maybe there's been an announceme-

GOD DAMMIT!

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
haha wow

just wow

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Well at least it wasn't the author. Jesus

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

FinanceJew No Susume when?

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

the love story between a jew who plays a nazi online and a nazi who plays a jew online

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

what the gently caress

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Luckily I'm still in a state of shock where this seems more amusing than horrifying. I assume that will soon pass.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It's not that amusing, but it's not really horrifying. It's just that kind of thing where you can't comprehend the atrocities committed. You can see it in how he wonders what kind of magical technological inventions the Germans must have employed to kill 6 million people, when the nuclear bombs dropped on Japan only killed so many people.

He doesn't consider that it was a cruel gruesome process that took a long time and went through several stages of experimentation before arriving at the conclusion that execution by bullet was too expensive and time consuming and resorted to stuffing people into an air-tight space and pumping cheaply produced gas in to be far more effective.

And as a Japanese person, I assume he struggles with the idea that they were allied to a nation that could commit such atrocities.

It's hosed up, but happens all the time.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

It's not that amusing, but it's not really horrifying. It's just that kind of thing where you can't comprehend the atrocities committed. You can see it in how he wonders what kind of magical technological inventions the Germans must have employed to kill 6 million people, when the nuclear bombs dropped on Japan only killed so many people.

He doesn't consider that it was a cruel gruesome process that took a long time and went through several stages of experimentation before arriving at the conclusion that execution by bullet was too expensive and time consuming and resorted to stuffing people into an air-tight space and pumping cheaply produced gas in to be far more effective.

And as a Japanese person, I assume he struggles with the idea that they were allied to a nation that could commit such atrocities.

It's hosed up, but happens all the time.

No, he apparently hates Jews as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
That's really hosed up.

• Locked thread