Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Are there like....."good" Outlaws? All these questgivers seem like dicks.

I'm super stuck.

I like what the Beserkers are doing, but the leadership is awful and too law driven.

The Clerics are little better then Albs in my book, and their weird worship/fanaticism doesn't help.

The Outlaws all seem like dicks and cannibals.

I'm kind of tempted to just do a no faction/Origin playthrough, but I'm not sure if that's actually possible or if I need to join a faction. Can you change the factions through your quests? Is it possible to have Cormag take over the Beserkers and lax up a few of the laws? Is there a good Outlaw out there that'll keep order without being a huge raging dick? Blah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PepsimanVsJoe
Nov 16, 2007
The nice thing about the Outlaws is that while they're all dicks, they don't piss and moan when you dick them over.

I got sick of the guard shaking me down for shards every time I entered the city, so I killed him. Next thing I know, I get a quest to find his replacement. One less rear end in a top hat, plus I earned some bonus experience and cash. I killed somebody else who was really important... for reasons that I can't remember. One of the leaders wasn't happy, but he didn't start a fight over it.

Also, not 100% sure, but I think you might be able to get away with a no-faction play-through. Granted, you'd be missing out on a lot of benefits (such as faction-specific armor and skills), but there are a few "hidden" factions Like the Separatists and the town of Origin. Helping them out caused me to progress to Chapter 2.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
I'm really liking this. I can't remember when what the last time I played an RPG that actually felt this unique, weird and fresh. Mechanics are not stellar, but the atmosphere and exploration is great.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
So I've finally graduated to one of the unique weapons, specifically the one that converts all damage to electricity, and :stare: I guess enemies' armor offers no protection from energy whatsoever

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Seriously I am like a little baby. Even people who are described as weak and useless at combat are way, way deadlier than I am.

SoldadoDeTone
Apr 20, 2006

Hold on tight!

grate deceiver posted:

I'm really liking this. I can't remember when what the last time I played an RPG that actually felt this unique, weird and fresh. Mechanics are not stellar, but the atmosphere and exploration is great.

I agree. This very bad game is fun and good.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

I just left the deciduous forest zone, upgraded from rusty hatchet to just regular hatchet. Everything is even more lethal and suddenly I'm in Fallout. Ran from a factory full of murderscorpions, through a fortress full of murderbandits. Whoa, is that an icefield in the distance? I wonder what that's all about. Ran from a squad of techassholes. I'm gonna check out those weird domes. Welp, had to run from scary kronenbergs.

Wish the lore notes and recordings were written better, so far it's been pretty mediocre, but it feels really good to explore the environment. It's like Gothic, Fallout and Mass Effect mashed together, but somehow it just works.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

steinrokkan posted:

So I've finally graduated to one of the unique weapons, specifically the one that converts all damage to electricity, and :stare: I guess enemies' armor offers no protection from energy whatsoever

Energy is just a damage over time. You probably just had a huge base damage jump from what you were using previously.

Anyone know what the constitution requirement of tier 3 faction armor is?

The Lone Badger posted:

Seriously I am like a little baby. Even people who are described as weak and useless at combat are way, way deadlier than I am.

Are you talking about Falk? He's actually really good at combat since he uses a two hander and he staggers enemies like crazy with 1 point in the companion perk

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Oct 24, 2017

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Lakbay posted:

Are you talking about Falk? He's actually really good at combat since he uses a two hander and he staggers enemies like crazy with 1 point in the companion perk

The guy by the Converter who complains about doom. I tried to bully him and he smeared me across the pavement.

I ran away from deathclaws until i got to the church city, and they sold me a flamethrower no-questions-asked. Soon this world shall pay.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!

The Lone Badger posted:

The guy by the Converter who complains about doom. I tried to bully him and he smeared me across the pavement.

I ran away from deathclaws until i got to the church city, and they sold me a flamethrower no-questions-asked. Soon this world shall pay.

Are you talking about the Domed City or the Cleric Hometown? Because those three rippers guarding the traders supplies who could get me in the Hort are still far beyond my abilities.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Huh.
I just tried to bribe the door guard and he rejected the bribe but decided to let me in anyway in return for unspecified future favours.

Edit: flamethrower is as OP as described. Falk still does all the actual damage, but i stunlock things.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Oct 25, 2017

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Nuramor posted:

Are you talking about the Domed City or the Cleric Hometown? Because those three rippers guarding the traders supplies who could get me in the Hort are still far beyond my abilities.

Kite those suckers to the big friggen mech standing by the teleporter.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Pro-tip: Don't let companions teleport you to encounters unless you are really sure of your abilities.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

steinrokkan posted:

Pro-tip: Don't let companions teleport you to encounters unless you are really sure of your abilities.

Alternatively, pack 70 or 80 grenades. :torgue: Stalker? Ten grenades. Night Shade? Grenades. Mob of skull reavers? Six grenades, if you aim well and hit all of them.

If there's one disappointing thing I learnt from grenadier-ing, it's that you can't lead human enemies with jetpacks to high areas and knock them off to their deaths. You'd lose a third of your health from a small ledge but enemies are protected by an invisible squared circle.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

The Lone Badger posted:

Huh.
I just tried to bribe the door guard and he rejected the bribe but decided to let me in anyway in return for unspecified future favours.

Edit: flamethrower is as OP as described. Falk still does all the actual damage, but i stunlock things.

If you haven't done quests in the Domed City yet do his favors and don't betray him. I don't know the long term repercussions but let's just say helping him helps you with some quests down the road

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

I can't actually finish the game because an NPC broke but I'm having a pretty good time running around killing everything with the weapon you get off the roof of the converter in North Abessa. It does 100 damage and it's a plasma rifle so it has the AOE stunlock shot. Even on Ultra difficulty enemies just melt.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
There's a level 15 and level 25 requirement to advance in the factions and quest xp doesn't scale up and I'm level 22 at the moment and even if I do every quest I find I think the game expects I'll have to grind out monsters for a bit to hit 25

VVV it's getting real slow to level up, I'm probably just overreacting because I just started picking up quests in Tavar and I still got two big story quests people in other places said got them several levels for doing

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Oct 25, 2017

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I haven't joined a faction yet, and I'm already lvl 18 w/o any grinding.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

drat, any chances of a price drop during an upcoming Steam sale? I've got almost $50 sitting in my Steam wallet (ty pubg crates) but I'm hesitant to drop full price on any game these days, even if everyone is telling me that this is a worthy follow-up to Gothic 2.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Probably no chance because it came out last week

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I just bought this on Gamebillet an hour ago. If you put in the code "elex" then it comes out to 37 bucks. But yeah, this doesn't help your problem if you have to use steambux

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I caved today and yeah, people were right, the atmosphere and world building are fantastic. I'd love to know what goes on behind the scenes because almost all of the worlds Piranha Bytes makes - Khorinis, Myrtana, even the island from the first Risen IMO - have so much detail and are a joy to explore and discover all the different caves, secrets, shortcuts, and hidden paths. I've just been wandering around the Berserker town, completing quests to start off with, and already I'm learning the easiest ways to get around. I keep forgetting I have jetpack though. :v:

The combat is clunky, but it definitely has some shades of Gothic II going on with how the combo system works (clicking at the end of each swing animation). I'm excited to see where the story goes and who I get to betray/rob/kill on my path to the end.

Piranha's back baby

SoldadoDeTone
Apr 20, 2006

Hold on tight!

Lakbay posted:

There's a level 15 and level 25 requirement to advance in the factions and quest xp doesn't scale up and I'm level 22 at the moment and even if I do every quest I find I think the game expects I'll have to grind out monsters for a bit to hit 25

VVV it's getting real slow to level up, I'm probably just overreacting because I just started picking up quests in Tavar and I still got two big story quests people in other places said got them several levels for doing

Make a bunch of small elex potions. That's my plan for when this happens to me.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

SoldadoDeTone posted:

those don't scale up either, they're always 100xp. For the amount it would take to level up late game you could have like 80 attribute points instead.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Elex is delicious. I'm taking medium doses because stat points are what I'm short on.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

My only disappointment right now is the soundtrack. I feel like I've been spoiled by Kai Rosenkranz's soundtracks in previous games - all three Gothic games had really underrated, awesome themes/motifs and the first Risen game had lots of moody acoustic themes - but this just feels, I don't know, bland? It's just kind of there in the background.

But holy poo poo the battle theme is loving maddening for some reason :stare: especially if you don't know who or what spotted you and it just plays endlessly until you're out of the area

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

SoldadoDeTone posted:

I was overreacting and did those story quests which give ALOT of XP and I easily hit level 27 last night and hit tier 3 with the Clerics. Sadly there's no quests for the clerics after you hit the final rank but I finally get to wear the sweet paladin armor.

I thought chapter 2 was going to lead to the end game as well but I just hit chapter 3 instead

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Lakbay posted:

If you haven't done quests in the Domed City yet do his favors and don't betray him. I don't know the long term repercussions but let's just say helping him helps you with some quests down the road

Will it hamper my ability to join / progress in the Clerics?

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
So, the patch dropped.

quote:

ELEX Version 1.0.2846.0 live now
Update October 27th 2017
Changelog
Engine
- Crash fix for systems with more than 16 logical CPU cores.
- If savegame limit is reached, “Create new savegame” is hidden. (limit is 99)
- Fixed saving for all Windows user.
- Fixed some freezes in tutorials. The tutorial won't be shown if the corresponding key bindings are not valid.
- Fixed saving after the Big Bang fight was not possible.
- Fixed pink water on some older AMD/ATI graphic devices.
- Fixed game freeze when you try to interact during an evade roll.

Quests
- Fixed permanently angry NPCs.
- Kral has now a quest marker for the Mana shrine quest.
- Jax gets the correct award from Reinhold when joining the Clerics.
- Bullet and Lucy don't die immediately when they encounter an enemy.
- Fixed quest targets when fighting in the arena.
- Trevor now gives Jax the correct reward, depending on his actions.
- Mad Bob’s dialogue is now in the correct order, taking the Jax’s actions into account.
- Jack will change his daily routine if Jax killed Hopkins and his bandits. Furthermore, the dialogue regarding Volkmar’s weapon now works properly.
- The quest involving Riley, Darrel and Paige is closed correctly now. (Might be necessary to sleep in a bed to trigger this fix.)
- Fixed a plot killer for a certain ending of the game. Talk to Logan twice, in case of having this issue in your save game.
- Bill will now return to his hut after the player killed Vance and talked to him about the situation.
- Martha will now not quit the dialogue, after Jax buys food from/trades with her - therefore she will now update the Legate situation if the player choses the ENDE/END dialogue option.
- If the player has joined the Clerics and talks with Darrell, he will now offer a quest for the player. If the player already spoke to Darrell and had only his standard sentence to say, he only must talk to Darrell again and then Darrell will offer the quest for the player.
- Nasty will no longer interfere in the battle between Player and Kid.
- Map Target Ethan/Volkmar will now be removed correctly during the mission: Scrap Delivery.
- Jack has now Volkmar’s Weapon in his inventory.
- If you ask Jora if it's lawful to take the laser rifle, while he has a Smalltalk with Stormson, both should continue their Smalltalk. If this situation already happened, Jax must talk to Stormson again until he has nothing to say anymore and Jora will return on his Smalltalk routine.
- Now Angrim at waterfall is teleported back to his current daily routine point.
- Sometimes Stormson, Eli, Wolf and Oswald were at wrong positions. Now they are teleported back to their daily routine points.
- Fixed a bug that prevented Jax from joining the Berserkers.
- Fixed Crony U5 mission. Now he won't get lost in certain locations.
- Kallax gives additional main plot background information at showdown with him.
- Fixed some time related quests.

World
- Removed wrong weather zone in the Hort.
- Corrected some items that were stuck in the ground.
- Fixed some minor graphical issues with some of the Berserker armor.

Game
- Now party members will be more helpful during combat.
- Enemies now have better targeting. They shouldn't shoot at walls or objects anymore.
- Now there is an option to deactivate the double-click evade roll. To enable this option, you must assign a key to the evade option in the key bindings.
- Human enemies can attack with low stamina now. This should prevent some issues with enemies doing nothing while they have low stamina.
- Now you can transfer chunks of tens in the trade menu.
- Fix for haggler perk. You can buy every item now.
- Fixed helmets being in front of the camera while looting a chest.
- Exploit fix with crafting energy reserve.
- Fixed equipped weapons. They weren't destroyed when you salvage them.
- Fix where you get an 2h Hammer instead of an 2h Sword at the crafting table.
- Fixed duplicated key binding page.
- Fixed the needed skill to upgrade the chain saber.
- Fixed evade tutorial. It has caused a slow-motion effect for 10 seconds.
- Elex and Elex Potions now show a message that your Cold has increased.
- Fixed Perk Bookworm. Now you get XPs for reading letters and books. Reading Letters without the Perk will also give Jax some XP now.
- Party members don't move around when the player is in a dialog.
- Fix for some wrong loading hints.

Achievements
- "Honorary Citizen" is now given after 80h of playtime, not after 1h

No more mainlining Elex potions without consequences, I guess.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
That seems... ill thought out, since there's no way you can get all your stat points without basically swimming in elex drinks.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

That seems... ill thought out, since there's no way you can get all your stat points without basically swimming in elex drinks.

I mean the game outright said they'd increase cold, and it was supposed to be the way to be an Alb. It always confused me that they didn't, and I actively avoided them.

I'm also doing just fine attribute/skills wise. It makes sense only Albs would be able to have 100 in every attribute/stat.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I think that was always there it just didn't show a message.

I think the Cold system is annoying because I can't tell what increases or decreases it. Like some altruistic or "good" actions both increase or decrease it. I think I read on the steam forums showing ANY emotion to a response decreases cold which kinnnddaaa makes sense with Jax but is super clunky in terms of gameplay.

It also doesn't correspond to the endgame choices you can make since it seems to be split between good and evil choices rather than logical/emotional or pragmatic/idealistic. If I stretch my definitions I can see what they're going for but as a player it's annoying I'm being punished

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
If the 'Elex potions cause cold' works retroactively my guy will be an icecube.

I have to admit I don't even know the gameplay consequences of that system, apart from that one set of skills. Is there any?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I'm locked out of a bunch of endgame dialog options because my cold is too high

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Are skills that increase experience worth it or should I ignore them? What about the one that gives you extra attribute points?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Lakbay posted:

I'm locked out of a bunch of endgame dialog options because my cold is too high

This is the one thing I definitely want a save editor for.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Fat Samurai posted:

Are skills that increase experience worth it or should I ignore them? What about the one that gives you extra attribute points?

The +xp skills are 5% boosts and trivial in the bigger scheme of things. If you want the bookworm perk, there's a amulet in a chest under a blue tarp near the Small Farm teleporter, which itself is beneath the southern wall of the Domed City.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The quest one adds up nicely since you can get some BIG chunks of exp from quests which makes 5% worth more. But I ended up with more skill points than I really needed due to mainlining Elex potions anyways so...

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Where do I find a weapon-trader? I accidentally sold off my rusty hatchet to a trader while on a quest on the other side of the map and now all I have is a bow and no arrows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

There's an armor seller in Goliet, he also does weapons.
But the cultivator bow and rusty hatchet aren't really 'weapons' anyway. You're better off avoiding enemies until you're significantly higher level.

• Locked thread