Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Nordick posted:

loving HELL I had an absolutely beautiful game with the Blenheim F but for some reason GeForce Experience's instant replay thing wasn't working, so I couldn't capture it. :(

Died a couple times, but the game was just full of :black101: as hell moments where I just tore poo poo up like an angry god, quickly finishing off near-dead enemies in turret view mid-maneuver, and just general awesome arcade action nonsense. I wish this game had replays.

The Beaufighter is great and all but somehow the Blenheim F is just clicking with me way better. It's definitely a keeper for me.

Yeah I kept my Blenheim F too, it's very strong with the tiers it's sees. I love the Beaufighter for it's versatility but it can't handle tier 6 fighters low level like the Blenheim can handle tier 5.

I also have enough exp to unlock the Mozzie, going to grind out all the upgrades before I buy it and that will be me done with that line as I am now able to live all my Victor and Commando comic fantasies.

I also don't think I am going to go racing up any tiers to tier 10 as I am having just so much fun in the "real" planes. All I want to do is get all the iconic WWII stuff and end it there.

My story so far;

UK heavy fighters - Very good to outstanding, see above.
UK fighters - Very good, Spitfire at V is outstanding but don't rush to get it, the Bristols have obscene firepower.

German heavy fighter - Underwhelming. BF110 is a heavily armed slug and other than ambushes struggles at tier.

US fighters - Under armed. not enough cannons, cannons save lives.
US multi-roll - Ditto

Russian ground attack - Slow as anything but oh boy, do you tear poo poo up. If you can get one of you actual human persons in a fighter to assist you, you can take caps points very fast.
Russian multirole - Ork Boyz fighters that you can just keep the firing button pressed while shouting WARRRGGHHHH!!!!! I like these, although you tend to get dunked on by fighters.

Bombers - Doh dee doh dee do, BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM oh look a tree BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM game over, you are in the top 3 for your team win or lose, get massive amounts of credits press Battle to repeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Greggorian posted:

Question about using T to switch to rear turret gunner: how does the plane fly? Does it just keep going in whatever direction, or does it auto pilot?

Edit, seems you're still in control for moving left/right, but I guess it just stays at the same level you left off as.
You can control your elevator in turret view too, it's just they're bound to the drat arrow keys by default. I rebound it to W and S and the throttle controls to Shift and Ctrl. Leaning on the pitch up key lets you sometimes turn tighter than you would with just the mouse, which comes in handy.

Burt posted:

Russian ground attack - Slow as anything but oh boy, do you tear poo poo up. If you can get one of you actual human persons in a fighter to assist you, you can take caps points very fast.
Yeah I've been having fun with the Tsh-3., just leisurely meandering above a base and hosing poo poo down with the 10 ShKAS death beam. Haven't bought the next plane yet, been spending my credits on other poo poo like the Blenheim and Beaufighter.

Also, climbing up the US fighter tree. I don't care how weak they are in the meta, in any game like this I WILL make a beeline for the P-40, because then I can fly that while listening to the soundtrack from 1941 and pretend I'm Wild Bill Kelso.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJZ5x-zUx28

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Maybe it was a one-off experience, but my Bf 110c (the premium) clicked yesterday. I didn't spend much time on ground targets, just stayed high altitude and popped other planes, especially heavy fighters, learning to burst my cannon. That 30mm can tear up fighters in a few shots. If someone gets on my tail, I boost away, gaining altitude. Beaufighters and the other Blenheim are dangerous though when flown by a competent human. I'll probably work on that line next.

Also, the Reddit free links got some fun planes, a Russian IL-2, an Airabonita, and this ugly as sin French plane. Despite its hideousness, the French heavy fighter does have a rear 20mm cannon which is hilarious. I shot down two fighters with it.

Flamu did a review on Chance Vought F4-U1 with it's four 20mm cannons and rockets. It looks like a very fun plane, but I'll have to save up some XP to bypass the Brewster Buffalo. Ugly and anemic.

Greggorian
Feb 28, 2003
Teh Slacker King

Nordick posted:

You can control your elevator in turret view too, it's just they're bound to the drat arrow keys by default. I rebound it to W and S and the throttle controls to Shift and Ctrl. Leaning on the pitch up key lets you sometimes turn tighter than you would with just the mouse, which comes in handy.

Ah, thanks for the tip. Also, are fighters/multi-roles turn fighters while heavies are boom and zoom, generally speaking?

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

MoraleHazard posted:

Maybe it was a one-off experience, but my Bf 110c (the premium) clicked yesterday. I didn't spend much time on ground targets, just stayed high altitude and popped other planes, especially heavy fighters, learning to burst my cannon. That 30mm can tear up fighters in a few shots. If someone gets on my tail, I boost away, gaining altitude. Beaufighters and the other Blenheim are dangerous though when flown by a competent human. I'll probably work on that line next.

Also, the Reddit free links got some fun planes, a Russian IL-2, an Airabonita, and this ugly as sin French plane. Despite its hideousness, the French heavy fighter does have a rear 20mm cannon which is hilarious. I shot down two fighters with it.

Flamu did a review on Chance Vought F4-U1 with it's four 20mm cannons and rockets. It looks like a very fun plane, but I'll have to save up some XP to bypass the Brewster Buffalo. Ugly and anemic.

I checked that but can't find a working code; what are the current NA giveaways?

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Greggorian posted:

Ah, thanks for the tip. Also, are fighters/multi-roles turn fighters while heavies are boom and zoom, generally speaking?
In that particular matchup of fighter vs heavy, yes. But there's tons of variation inside each type. A Zero can out-turn any other fighter in its tier (I think). A 109 can't turn well but zips above pursuers quickly.
My favorite kind of boom and zoom kill is when you boost straight up and someone tries to chase you at the edge of their gun range. Then you both stall and suddenly you're on their tail. It's a desperation move since anyone already at mid altitude will pick you off, but it's fun when it works.

Also I should probably refrain from flying my I-15bis too often since that's some serious seal clubbing. 3 flights, 2 rank 1s.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Blindeye posted:

I checked that but can't find a working code; what are the current NA giveaways?

https://www.reddit.com/r/WorldofWarplanes/comments/760z6k/codes_giveaways_contests/

They're here. Everything worked for me except Alienware and that's because I'm not level 10 in their "comment and post screenshots about games" system because this greybeard isn't going to do that. If I were more inclined, the Airacobra would be a fun free premium. All-in-all, I got some consumables and three free premium planes.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Thanks. By the way I saw this giveaway so feel free to use my code (because it gets me more entries to win and I'm shameless)

https://wn.nr/3SLVyr

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Entered.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback
How do you even switch to the EU cluster if you want? Kind of wondering if the playercount increases once you hit the mid-tiers.

I dig this game for how easy it is to pick up and play a little bit, then gently caress off. The rounds are nice and short, and even if I am having a match where I am racking up the kills, things usually end one way or another before things get too protracted. It isn't like World of Warships/Tanks where I end up playing 20 minute rounds because everyone's being passive or cautious and I'm trying to pull a win out.

I also like how freely it throws XP and currency at you. Secure a kill? Get rewarded. Assist, even a little? Reward. It even distinguishes between a tiny assist and a 'major assist' so it doesn't really feel like you're getting kill-stolen ( loving War Thunder ). If the game had been like this from the beginning, it would actually have a playerbase.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Well, to my great delight, the P-40 is actually a joy to fly and the .50cals don't really feel anemic at all to me. Sure, I can't just gank someone out of the sky like with a good burst from quad Hispanos, but on the other hand they feel a lot more consistent to me. It's so easy to keep the stream of bullets on target and chainsaw a motherfucker down, whereas with cannons I tend to whiff the occasional shell which immediately puts a big dent on the damage output.

Plus the P-40 also leads to the P-38, so hey I get to have fun in a cool plane while making progress towards other cool planes!

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

I've gone through quite a few lines to Tier V and that's quite a sweet spot for great WW2 piston planes. The line I've had most fun with is the Japanese Navy Fighter line. The A5M is great at Tier 3 as it is just so drat manouverable. Get on the tail of someone, give them a burst then turn away before anyone can get a bead on you, rinse and repeat. Can be great in fuballs when sometimes everyone you turn towards has about 25 health. I kept it is it is my favourite plane to fly so far. The prototype Zero at Tier 4 gets Cannon & MG armament, can still outturn nearly everything else it gets tiered against and the 'proper' A6M2 Zero at Tier 5 is just more of the same. When bad pubs and the AI go into a turn fight it's only a matter of time before you shred them.

The Japanese Army fighters are even more ridiculously manouverable in the horizontal but they are so lightly armed that my gunnery skills aren't good enough to rack up the kills before the cannons overheat. They are also made of tissue paper instead of the wet cardboard that the Japanese Navy fighters are constructed from. I haven't really got the same love for the Hayabusa as the Zero but I saw a platoon of 2 guys KI-43-Is earlier on and they absolutely tore poo poo up in a few Tier 4 games.

biglads fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Oct 25, 2017

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
If you haven't already noticed yet, you can buy silver/credit "Universial" ammo which I assume is better than the free "Standard" ammo. I first thought the Silver ammo was the default, like in WoT, but it's actually not. Sadly I don't see any stats for the Standard ammo shown, so I don't know how different Universal ammo is.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Nordick posted:

Well, to my great delight, the P-40 is actually a joy to fly and the .50cals don't really feel anemic at all to me. Sure, I can't just gank someone out of the sky like with a good burst from quad Hispanos, but on the other hand they feel a lot more consistent to me. It's so easy to keep the stream of bullets on target and chainsaw a motherfucker down, whereas with cannons I tend to whiff the occasional shell which immediately puts a big dent on the damage output.

Plus the P-40 also leads to the P-38, so hey I get to have fun in a cool plane while making progress towards other cool planes!

Well, keep going and fly the pancake while at it then.

Also, I was reading on the wiki about how the IL-10 is hilarious. Apparently it started life as an armored fighter, then they gave up and made it an attack plane. In other words, it isn't poo poo to maneuver in unlike the previous planes.

Oh, and still shout out love for the I-17. Quite maneuverable while packing one heck of a gun. There is a yak further up the tree with a 45mm cannon on it :laffo:.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Nordick posted:

Yeah I've been having fun with the Tsh-3., just leisurely meandering above a base and hosing poo poo down with the 10 ShKAS death beam. Haven't bought the next plane yet, been spending my credits on other poo poo like the Blenheim and Beaufighter.

It's pretty lovely when you move up, the next plane drops from 10 guns to 4 stock, no bombs. You basically can't hurt poo poo without multiple passes :suicide:

Getting cannons when you unlock them might be cool, although even then you only have 2 MGs and 2 cannons, but stock this thing is awful.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Darkrenown posted:

If you haven't already noticed yet, you can buy silver/credit "Universial" ammo which I assume is better than the free "Standard" ammo. I first thought the Silver ammo was the default, like in WoT, but it's actually not. Sadly I don't see any stats for the Standard ammo shown, so I don't know how different Universal ammo is.
The increased chance of fire on the Universal .50cal ammo is very noticeable, at least.

And speaking of .50cals, this was a pretty drat nice P-40 match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAwiCB5K8NM

Don't mind the music, I like to throw all kinds of weird stuff into Foobar while I fly. :v:

JuffoWup posted:

Well, keep going and fly the pancake while at it then.
All in due time!

JuffoWup posted:

Oh, and still shout out love for the I-17. Quite maneuverable while packing one heck of a gun. There is a yak further up the tree with a 45mm cannon on it :laffo:.
Phontomen started one of his "Grindfest" video series, going up the Soviet multirole fighter tree towards the I-215. That thing has dual 57mm cannons. :shepface: Of course, it's a tier 10 so it's gonna take a long while for him to get there, but his antics are entertaining, so hey. It's good watching for when you're kinda in a Planes mood but too lazy to play yourself. :v:

Darkrenown posted:

It's pretty lovely when you move up, the next plane drops from 10 guns to 4 stock, no bombs. You basically can't hurt poo poo without multiple passes :suicide:

Getting cannons when you unlock them might be cool, although even then you only have 2 MGs and 2 cannons, but stock this thing is awful.
That's what Free XP is for! :)

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

JuffoWup posted:

There is a yak further up the tree with a 45mm cannon on it :laffo:.

There's an entire line of those! The USSR multirole fighters are glorious sniper planes that can outright delete things with 2/3 health or less

e: Those big-gun yaks actually existed afaik, which I think is the funniest part. The cannon recoil would cause coolant leaks!

Ferrovanadium fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Oct 26, 2017

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

YellerBill posted:

There's an entire line of those! The USSR multirole fighters are glorious sniper planes that can outright delete things with 2/3 health or less

e: Those big-gun yaks actually existed afaik, which I think is the funniest part. The cannon recoil would cause coolant leaks!

I know they had to exist because they are/were a line of bullshit planes in war thunder as well.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I'm still going through tier 3, and I've had more than one battle outcome entirely decided by Blenheim IVs, because theirs take over our caps almost with impunity, while ours are doing some combination of wandering aimlessly, flying at low level like attack planes, or just being bad. There's nothing anyone can do to change the outcome.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I do well at tier 3 and below, but I'm horrible with tier 4. Then again I've only had the free Japanese premium tier 4 so maybe I'm just not a match for the playstyle.

Edit: It looks like I don't do well with nimble, fragile airframes.

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Oct 26, 2017

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I've been getting a bomber part every few days, I don't know why the buffalos were complaining that the bombers will take forever to assemble unless they spend gold.

Edit: Doh, doublepost.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

NTRabbit posted:

I'm still going through tier 3, and I've had more than one battle outcome entirely decided by Blenheim IVs, because theirs take over our caps almost with impunity, while ours are doing some combination of wandering aimlessly, flying at low level like attack planes, or just being bad. There's nothing anyone can do to change the outcome.

Yeah they are going to have to do something about this plane, you are utterly impervious to being attacked and can capture points pretty much solo.

For the first time ever, in any game, I have managed to get the most OP item in the game right at the beginning. Even though I feel so dirty flying it, it's brilliant. It makes really good credits too, I have funded my Mosquito by flying this thing. It's so drat relaxing to fly too!

And for the person who was talking about Phantoman's grind to the tier 10 Soviet attack plane, watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bd76sGmTQuo

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Nordick posted:

That's what Free XP is for! :)

I spent all my FXP getting the new Chinese T10 in WoT while it was top of the tree a while back so I've been playing some planes stock and I didn't notice the drastic gun cutback until I was in a match :(

It doesn't take much playing to elite low tier planes, but in hindsight I certainly should have spent some of my tiny FXP pile there.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

I seriously don't know what to say.

https://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/common/fire-in-the-disco/

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

But it's not April 1

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Nordick posted:

The increased chance of fire on the Universal .50cal ammo is very noticeable, at least.

And speaking of .50cals, this was a pretty drat nice P-40 match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAwiCB5K8NM

I have a couple of questions. Do you use M+KB for your controls, and if so how do you turn so fast?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

JuffoWup posted:

I know they had to exist because they are/were a line of bullshit planes in war thunder as well.

Yeah and they're hilarious there as well.

The Ruskies discontinued the NS-45 armament for Yaks because firing even a three-round burst proved impossible to effectively aim, threw the pilot around like he was stunt-driving a car and almost guaranteed engine damage. They didn't even work in an Il-2, one in each wing, because they generated twice as much recoil stress as the wings could handle. An IL-2!

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Burt posted:

Yeah they are going to have to do something about this plane, you are utterly impervious to being attacked and can capture points pretty much solo.

For the first time ever, in any game, I have managed to get the most OP item in the game right at the beginning. Even though I feel so dirty flying it, it's brilliant. It makes really good credits too, I have funded my Mosquito by flying this thing. It's so drat relaxing to fly too!

And for the person who was talking about Phantoman's grind to the tier 10 Soviet attack plane, watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bd76sGmTQuo

In my head I was like, "I just gotta push through the Blenheim IV before I move on to the Beaufighter," but holy poo poo is this plane fun. It's only 2 cannons and that goofy single .303 in the wing, but it just chews through crap. I'm keeping it even after I get the Beaufighter.

Also, I really like the P40 as well. I like the .50cals and looking forward to 8 of them on the Thunderbolt and Mustang.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

So I heard the i-15bis isn't op, confirm/deny? And yes, I was last man standing and collected like, 5 kills at the end. I was also thinking about lawn darting shortly before because the enemy team was at 2 planes dead a bit into the squall while my team had 3 alive.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

MoraleHazard posted:

In my head I was like, "I just gotta push through the Blenheim IV before I move on to the Beaufighter," but holy poo poo is this plane fun. It's only 2 cannons and that goofy single .303 in the wing, but it just chews through crap. I'm keeping it even after I get the Beaufighter.

Also, I really like the P40 as well. I like the .50cals and looking forward to 8 of them on the Thunderbolt and Mustang.

That's the Blenheim F, a tree heavy fighter, the Blenheim IV is the premium bomber that you get by assembling parts from crates, and it flies so drat fast and high in the sky that nothing at tier 3 or 4 can actually reach it to shoot it down.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

That's the Blenheim F, a tree heavy fighter, the Blenheim IV is the premium bomber that you get by assembling parts from crates, and it flies so drat fast and high in the sky that nothing at tier 3 or 4 can actually reach it to shoot it down.

Yeah, my mistake. I think I'm half way to the Blenheim IV., but I really want the A-26.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Stanley Pain posted:

I have a couple of questions. Do you use M+KB for your controls, and if so how do you turn so fast?
Yes, I do. I just don't only rely on the mouse, I use the keyboard elevator controls a lot. They're bound to the arrow keys by default which is silly, so you'll want to rebind them to something more accessible. So when you need to turn fast, just slam on that pitch up key.

Also I have the Reinforced Control Surfaces consumable that gives you a hefty manouverability boost for 10 seconds with a 90 sec cooldown, which I pop when I REALLY need to turn quick. Plus equipment and the pilot skill.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Oct 26, 2017

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Nordick posted:

Yes, I do. I just don't only rely on the mouse, I use the keyboard elevator controls a lot. They're bound to the arrow keys by default which is silly, so you'll want to rebind them to something more accessible. So when you need to turn fast, just slam on that pitch up key.

Also I have the Reinforced Control Surfaces consumable that gives you a hefty manouverability boost for 10 seconds with a 90 sec cooldown, which I pop when I REALLY need to turn quick. Plus equipment and the pilot skill.

The Kittyhawk is utterly insane! I was dreading having to grind through this to the Mustang and Lightning but even utterly stock it's a pleasure to fly. OK the 4x50 cals are a bit pants but they just laugh at overheating. hold LMB down and just chase stuff all day. It's as fun as the Spitfire which is saying something.

Burt fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 26, 2017

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
I love how the 50 cals just have a hard time overheating. At least the US ones. On the other hand, I don't like how even at t10, you'll still be using somewhere between 6-8 50cals on anything that isn't a heavy fighter. I think the navy gets cannon, but that it about it. Meanwhile, every other nation's tree stops using 50 cal as a primary armament by around tier 7.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

MoraleHazard posted:

Yeah, my mistake. I think I'm half way to the Blenheim IV., but I really want the A-26.

Is there a time limit on unlocking those planes?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Blindeye posted:

Is there a time limit on unlocking those planes?

Ends: November 2, 04:20 PT (07:20 ET)

I've got 4 Blenheim parts and 1 A-26 part, and I'm receiving crates at a rate of 1 per day, so there's zero chance of me getting either

davejk
Mar 22, 2007

Pillbug
The event bombers will be available for gold later (minus the special paint job).

Buying one with tokens now would be extraordinarily bad value. I'm pretty sure you could buy every other premium in the same tier as each for less money.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

NTRabbit posted:

I've got 4 Blenheim parts and 1 A-26 part, and I'm receiving crates at a rate of 1 per day, so there's zero chance of me getting either

Oh well, that 3 plane giveaway was pretty sweet and I love having a Premium IL-2 because :ussr:

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

Oh, in that case, I'll probably be giving WG some money. You can just outright buy the things too.

edit: I haven't crunched how much yet, so maybe not.

Also, Burt, do you mean the Warhawk? I think WG screws around with the damage figures so the 50 cals on the P-51A do more damage than 50 cals on the P-40. I like the 50 cals too. A B-25 Mitchell could have 18 forward facing 50cals. That would be funny.

Moral_Hazard fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

MoraleHazard posted:

Oh, in that case, I'll probably be giving WG some money. You can just outright buy the things too.

edit: I haven't crunched how much yet, so maybe not.

Also, Burt, do you mean the Warhawk?

Don't outright buy. If you have like, 3/4ths of the pats, it will be cheaper, but going from 0 parts to a completed aircraft will cost too much. I saw a reddit post of someone talking about the t8 bomber. If you look on the wiki, it costs something like 12k gold according to it. However, to go form no parts, it'll set you back about 30k gold for the tickets. So a $50ish plane will cost you $120 if you go that route.

• Locked thread