Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
davejk
Mar 22, 2007

Pillbug

JuffoWup posted:

Don't outright buy. If you have like, 3/4ths of the pats, it will be cheaper, but going from 0 parts to a completed aircraft will cost too much. I saw a reddit post of someone talking about the t8 bomber. If you look on the wiki, it costs something like 12k gold according to it. However, to go form no parts, it'll set you back about 30k gold for the tickets. So a $50ish plane will cost you $120 if you go that route.

The A-26 in particular is over 3x the price of other T6 premiums (11k gold vs ~3500). It only makes sense to buy it once you're down to 5-6 missing parts.

I have the Blenheim IV. It prints money and you'll only lose if your team is extremely bad, but flying around completely untouchable and playing entirely from the bombsight view is just as boring as playing carriers in WoWS. I wouldn't recommend going majorly out of your way to get one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Of course, that does assume WG sell it for it's normal gold price ingame and not only in a huge bundle via the shop.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

MoraleHazard posted:

Also, Burt, do you mean the Warhawk? I think WG screws around with the damage figures so the 50 cals on the P-51A do more damage than 50 cals on the P-40. I like the 50 cals too. A B-25 Mitchell could have 18 forward facing 50cals. That would be funny.

Kittyhawk was what the British and Soviets called the late model P-40s they operated.

Also, while this has been fun so far, balance just seems to be an utter and complete mess. For comparison's sake there are 3 Heavy Fighter lines in the game (US, German, British), and here are the numbers of their T10s. Due to the mess of different researchable components at lower tiers, it was the simplest tier to compare.

pre:
Gloster Javelin
HP       1200
Guns     1572
   DPS        330
   RoF        300
   Range      800
Airspeed 1124
   Top Speed 1100
   Stall      250
   RoC         78
   Optimum    747
Maneuver 448
   RoR         70
   Control     78
Altitude 3000
-Does not carry bombs

XF-90
HP        700
Guns     1234
   DPS        180
   RoF        600
   Range      820
Airspeed 1204(-14)
   Top Speed 1150(-40)
   Stall      300
   RoC         78.8(-2.8)
   Optimum    862
Maneuver 380
   RoR         90
   Control     79
Altitude 3000
-Carries bombs (2 x 5200, 75m)

ME 262 HG III
HP       700
Guns     1626
   DPS        350
   RoF        330
   Range      700
Airspeed 1143(-13)
   Top Speed 1100(-40)
   Stall      300
   RoC         63(-2.3)
   Optimum    804
Maneuver 444
   RoR         80
   Control     79
Altitude 2800
-Carries bombs (2 x 5000, 75m)
Like, why the hell does the British one have nearly double the health of the other two, when all other stats are reasonably similar? Being able to carry two long reload bombs does not particularly seem to compare.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Oct 26, 2017

Greggorian
Feb 28, 2003
Teh Slacker King
More questions: I was reading up on how to not suck rear end at ground attack, and the post said to target the HQ first, so that AA looses accuracy. But no one mentioned what the HQ looks like, anyone know?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Sometimes when I take my Airabonita out for a spin, every time I get close enough to something to shoot it I instantly explode, and get to briefly follow some enemy 109 or Spitfire with a hundred guns sticking out the front nuking planes from 800m, then it happens two more times and the battle is over before the squall line, with nobody on my team over 3k battle points and said nuker on 15k battle points

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Greggorian posted:

More questions: I was reading up on how to not suck rear end at ground attack, and the post said to target the HQ first, so that AA looses accuracy. But no one mentioned what the HQ looks like, anyone know?

When you fly over you will see loads of individual targets, most of them made up of a red square with a few red dots. I think the HQ is all squares and it's also normally pretty obviously something big, the control tower at the airstrip, the big radar array, the radio telescope, that sort of thing. Normally takes a full load of rockets to kill or shout your handy Blenheim to actually aim for once.

NTRabbit posted:

Sometimes when I take my Airabonita out for a spin, every time I get close enough to something to shoot it I instantly explode, and get to briefly follow some enemy 109 or Spitfire with a hundred guns sticking out the front nuking planes from 800m, then it happens two more times and the battle is over before the squall line, with nobody on my team over 3k battle points and said nuker on 15k battle points

:911: Cannons, always go with fast firing cannons.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
So I got the P-38F and, sadly, it's not quite living up to its coolness yet.

The plane hauls rear end really well, but the armament feels really piddly. A single Hispano isn't that great on a tier 5 plane, and I'm having trouble connecting with it consistently for some reason. It feels like the .50cals have way different ballistics so it's hard to have both them and the cannon on target at once. It's odd. Hopefully the thing will click better when I get the 37mm mounted. I mean I expect that gun to be even more inconsistent, but at least it oughta be funny when it hits.

space pope
Apr 5, 2003

At what point is it worth paying 200k for a pilot?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Oookay yeah the 37 mm makes a pretty huge difference. BLAT BLAT BLAT.

space pope posted:

At what point is it worth paying 200k for a pilot?
No point, credit training is 100k per dude. You can just train the pilot and leave the tail gunner a scrub.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Oct 28, 2017

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

I did enough bombing missions to finally get the Mosquito last night.

I have only played one game in it and unfortunately it was the desert one with all the canyons so I spent a large proportion of the match pretending I was in 633 Squadron.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

NTRabbit posted:

You're talking about the premium with the 37mm? I find it really good and fun to play, but to make it perform well you have to land hits with the 37mm - if you do it'll take 1/3rd to 1/2 the hp of most enemies per shot.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Darkrenown posted:

You're talking about the premium with the 37mm? I find it really good and fun to play, but to make it perform well you have to land hits with the 37mm - if you do it'll take 1/3rd to 1/2 the hp of most enemies per shot.

Yeah I know, I just occasionally end up in battles where I get nuked by stuff before I even get time to fire a worthwhile burst; at the time I posted it was a platoon? with the German Spitfire presumably shooting premium 20mm cannon ammo, which the wiki tells me is a German specialty.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

NTRabbit posted:

Yeah I know, I just occasionally end up in battles where I get nuked by stuff before I even get time to fire a worthwhile burst; at the time I posted it was a platoon? with the German Spitfire presumably shooting premium 20mm cannon ammo, which the wiki tells me is a German specialty.

Yeah I have noticed if there's a platoon in your game and you show any sign of being good, or heavens forbid you shoot one of them down then expect to spend the next 5 minutes dying to whatever fighter is OP for that tier.

The payoff for this is when you meet that platoon the next game and they are down tiered and you are in your loving Spitfire.

Oh yes, then the 20mm Hispanos are on the other foot.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

I've recently elited the F4F Wildcat and the P-40. Those big gently caress off rockets on the F4F are fun.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

The big Russian bomber looks fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOde9KCSsss

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Looks no different than the other two honestly. I'm more amused at watching his team fold it up anyway. Also amused that the russians decided that putting stacking the jet engines that way instead of individually on the wing was a good idea. I can just see the lower engine suddenly producing more thrust than the upper and stressing the whole link.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

JuffoWup posted:

Looks no different than the other two honestly. I'm more amused at watching his team fold it up anyway. Also amused that the russians decided that putting stacking the jet engines that way instead of individually on the wing was a good idea. I can just see the lower engine suddenly producing more thrust than the upper and stressing the whole link.

It's more the fact that it got to 4000m so fast and how many bombs it drops!

it looks like they are giving away cammo now in the daily reward crates;

Although if you run the P40 in anything other than green with a shark's mouth you are a monster.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The only thing I've gotten from crates thus far are premium consumables, credit, and the odd bomber part. The most annoying part about them is that most of them don't count unless your team wins, which cuts the rate of completion down massively. I've been doing one that needed 3 top 3 wins in the mid tiers, and all 3 of my wins were top 3, they were just surrounded by about 8 irretrievable losses, because bots are incredibly stupid. There's another absurd one, which is to destroy 70 ground targets - sounds easy I thought, I can destroy 70 little buildings and AA guns in a day. I was wrong though, because 1 building doesn't count, "1 ground target" mean destroying every little building in a cluster, so the AA gun and the 3 tents, or every barracks, etc, which means if you miss one on your first pass and someone else kills it, you don't get the credit. Irritating as gently caress when all the tier 3s have low bomb counts with small blast areas.

I haven't flown every tier 3 yet, but so far the Fw 159 and A5M are pretty garbage tier. The I-16e starts off as bad as the A5M, but once you elite it it's fine.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Oct 29, 2017

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I've restarted playing but alas the teams have the usual WG quality(eg if my team has less bots we usually lose). Is there any eu-zone goon squad i can attach to to avoid a nervous breakdown?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Burt posted:

Although if you run the P40 in anything other than green with a shark's mouth you are a monster.
I admit I stuck with all the environment-appropriate camos for it, but I'm 100% with you on the shark mouth, even if the one in the game looks a bit doofy.

I really wish this game had War Thunder's freely placeable decals though.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm already at over a 50% winrate. Is that normal, better than average?

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Better than me. If I nail 45% I'd be happy. Games are swung by the bots too much to influence.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I think one thing that's helped was just focusing on planes that work with my playstyle. The US fighters and multi-role fighter line.

I'm also not sure how many of the low/mid tier players are familiar with things to shake enemy planes off their tails besides trying to fly in loops. Break for cover. Throttle up, then throttle down and change course so they'll overshoot. Or like, for tighter turns, throttling up once the turns about finished, and then opening fire so the enemy plane flys thru the bullets.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

After getting 12 bomber parts I bought the A-26 and it's not as much fun as the Blenheim I have to say. People have realised now that a PC controlled bomber is a massive threat and I have not had a single game this morning when I haven't been attacked.

In the Blenheim this is a pain if the attacker is a Bf110 however anyone attacking the A-26 is going to get a bit of a surprise as the rear gunner can shoot in a massive sphere above and below with two .50 calibres. Head on attacks are pretty much suicide for a fighter as it also has 6 cowling mounted .50 cals.

I got 3 player kills in the A-26 in 2 games :haw:

It's still a pain having to avoid fighters though, however, while they are spending 5 minutes trying to catch a bomber at 4000m jinking all over the sky they are not attacking anything else and I can still manage to flip on my bomb sight and do my damage.

davejk
Mar 22, 2007

Pillbug
I thought the A-26 was far more fun, since you're actually getting into fights rather than staring at the bomb sight for 10 minutes.

It has smaller, less accurate bombs than the Blenheim, so sitting at 4km makes your damage output a lot less reliable than flying comparatively low. If you do fly lower in it, you're constantly switching between dropping bombs and shooting with the nose and tail guns, which is pretty fun (until a tier 7 heavy notices what you're up to and melts you).

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

davejk posted:

I thought the A-26 was far more fun, since you're actually getting into fights rather than staring at the bomb sight for 10 minutes.

It has smaller, less accurate bombs than the Blenheim, so sitting at 4km makes your damage output a lot less reliable than flying comparatively low. If you do fly lower in it, you're constantly switching between dropping bombs and shooting with the nose and tail guns, which is pretty fun (until a tier 7 heavy notices what you're up to and melts you).

So I took your advice, and in one game I flew lower, shot poo poo down including 2 utterly clueless PC A-26s who tried to double team me with hilarious results [Hint 6 forward facing guns do way more damage than 2 rear facing ones] I blew up 2 bomber streams, actually dropped a few bombs that killed their targets and sprinkled the .50 cal love about on the air defense planes. Still lost.

Now I ran about 6 games in the A26 and 5 in the Blenheim without a win, so I hop into the Kittyhawk and Spit and just faceroll victory after victory. Now although I made over a million credits in the bombers I am coming to the conclusion that a decent player in a fighter has massively more impact on a match overall than any player in a bomber even though I can be in the top 3 players every game flying the things.

I think this is a potential problem that is going to happen with the game moving on, it's going to become all fighters as that's what everyone is going to view as the "win button". I'm not sure how you can address this without ruining the game for either fighter players or any other role.

However, I just wish they had seen the game earlier where 4 of us in fighters were trying to shoot a corrugated iron shed to get the last teensy bit of a cap.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I'm struggling with heavy fighters, in that when I fight against P-38s and Zerstorers they zoom down from altitude, wipe out a plane or two in a cannon barrage, and then zoom off again before I can even get into gun range, and my fighter can't ever go fast enough to catch them, but when I fly in heavy fighters and try the same thing, fighters accelerate past my Fw 57, Me 210, and SE 100 in dives, climbs, level flight, even with the go faster button on for the full beans.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Burt posted:

Now I ran about 6 games in the A26 and 5 in the Blenheim without a win, so I hop into the Kittyhawk and Spit and just faceroll victory after victory. Now although I made over a million credits in the bombers I am coming to the conclusion that a decent player in a fighter has massively more impact on a match overall than any player in a bomber even though I can be in the top 3 players every game flying the things.

I think this is a potential problem that is going to happen with the game moving on, it's going to become all fighters as that's what everyone is going to view as the "win button". I'm not sure how you can address this without ruining the game for either fighter players or any other role.
A large part of that problem is that fighters can contribute both on the attack and on the defense. You go in, do your stuff, cap some bases, but when it comes to actually holding those bases to secure the win, bombers and GA planes are kinda dead weight. Fighters can just keep doing their thing and be useful, but once your team has 2 out of 3 bases, all GA can do is either twiddle their thumbs waiting for the score to tick, or barge into the last enemy base and hope some fighter support follows, eventhough said support doesn't really have much incentive to. Simply put, there will always be something for fighters to do while for GA there might not be.

One way to help with this issue could be some sort of AI ground forces that attack opposing bases and could potentially cap them back, and GA could deal with those while fighters focus on keeping up the air supremacy.

As much as I love dogfighting in the P-40 and tearing poo poo up with heavy fighters, I'd love to do some lawnmowing once in a while too. As of now it just feels a bit frustrating and kinda futile too often.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

NTRabbit posted:

I'm struggling with heavy fighters, in that when I fight against P-38s and Zerstorers they zoom down from altitude, wipe out a plane or two in a cannon barrage, and then zoom off again before I can even get into gun range, and my fighter can't ever go fast enough to catch them, but when I fly in heavy fighters and try the same thing, fighters accelerate past my Fw 57, Me 210, and SE 100 in dives, climbs, level flight, even with the go faster button on for the full beans.

Heavy fighters are a bit hit and miss, when it comes to zoom and boom. Lightnings are fast as gently caress coming down and going up so excel at this type of fighting, and can, to a lesser extent even brawl a little at low/mid altitude. Try that in a Beaufighter or Me110 and although you may get a kill, you'll not get back out of the zone as they take so long to pull up out of their dive and every fighter going will eat you.

However if you stay higher then you can use your speed to run in, shoot, pull up on boost, circle back and do it again because unlike real life, twin engined fighters in this game are FAST AS gently caress and can leave a fighter for dead in level flight and manage a turn to get and point your nose full of cannons back at your chaser.

You also need to get into bomber streams and gently caress up the B17s that come from the enemy command centers to bomb your bases. Idiots in single seaters will come up to try and stop you doing this and immediately regret it.

I love heavy fighters a lot, but you have to get into the right mindset to play them well, and it isn't the same thing flying a Spitfire as it is a Beaufighter, so just adapt your play style.

And I will say that even though you do all of this you still won't have a massive effect on your games but you can live all your Mosquito Squadron fantasies :haw:

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Nordick posted:

A large part of that problem is that fighters can contribute both on the attack and on the defense. You go in, do your stuff, cap some bases, but when it comes to actually holding those bases to secure the win, bombers and GA planes are kinda dead weight. Fighters can just keep doing their thing and be useful, but once your team has 2 out of 3 bases, all GA can do is either twiddle their thumbs waiting for the score to tick, or barge into the last enemy base and hope some fighter support follows, eventhough said support doesn't really have much incentive to. Simply put, there will always be something for fighters to do while for GA there might not be.

One way to help with this issue could be some sort of AI ground forces that attack opposing bases and could potentially cap them back, and GA could deal with those while fighters focus on keeping up the air supremacy.

As much as I love dogfighting in the P-40 and tearing poo poo up with heavy fighters, I'd love to do some lawnmowing once in a while too. As of now it just feels a bit frustrating and kinda futile too often.

Yeah, I've noticed that a few times. Our team has all the caos, I'm in my il-2, all I can do now is just base defend against enemy attack fighters really.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

There's another absurd one, which is to destroy 70 ground targets - sounds easy I thought, I can destroy 70 little buildings and AA guns in a day. I was wrong though, because 1 building doesn't count, "1 ground target" mean destroying every little building in a cluster, so the AA gun and the 3 tents, or every barracks, etc, which means if you miss one on your first pass and someone else kills it, you don't get the credit. Irritating as gently caress when all the tier 3s have low bomb counts with small blast areas.

There's another one to kill 50 defence planes. It's annoying as gently caress that they didn't either make these do X damage to planes/ground targets, or use the rather nice assistance system. Nope, just full kills. So you have every reason to kill steal and pick on the lowest value targets (why go for a heavy defence plane when a light has half the HP?), and if you do 99% of the damage to a target then gently caress you, you get nothing. It's real dumb.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I've got one at the moment which is to score 9000 points purely from destroying ground targets in a single battle, which is totally ridiculous in anything other than a Blenheim IV. Someone needs to take another pass at these and adjust the conditions.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Darkrenown posted:

There's another one to kill 50 defence planes. It's annoying as gently caress that they didn't either make these do X damage to planes/ground targets, or use the rather nice assistance system. Nope, just full kills. So you have every reason to kill steal and pick on the lowest value targets (why go for a heavy defence plane when a light has half the HP?), and if you do 99% of the damage to a target then gently caress you, you get nothing. It's real dumb.

The assistance one is even harder because flying with 80% bots means you have to secure kills or else no one kills them.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

JuffoWup posted:

Yeah, I've noticed that a few times. Our team has all the caos, I'm in my il-2, all I can do now is just base defend against enemy attack fighters really.

The flip side to this is that there are far more ground targets at any given cap to attack than defense aircraft, meaning it's a lot easier to cap bases with them than fighters, and more than a few fighter lines (US, I'm particularly looking at you) struggle to do much to most ground targets - a few machine guns plus limited strafing time due to speed means unless you get a fire you're not doing much to at least one, and usually multiple-to-all, building in every ground target. This is especially true if you've got idiot bots/players with you that accomplish little and then just die, setting back your cap progress. As a fighter I've run out of defense aircraft to shoot more than a few times, rendering me pretty ineffective at capping the point until more spawn, while attack aircraft generally do not have that issue.

And if your team has already taken most/all the caps then sure the attack aircraft player now has little to do, but the game's probably going to be a win shortly anyways.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Blindeye posted:

The assistance one is even harder because flying with 80% bots means you have to secure kills or else no one kills them.

I don't mean only assistance, I mean it should be like "get 50 kill points" where a will is one point, a minor assist is 0.25, a major is 0.75, etc.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I know you all rave about the Blenheim F, but I really can't get into it, heavy fighters just aren't fun for me. I spawn, I drop some bombs, I make a couple passes at planes, then as soon as a fighter gets on my tail at any altitude that's it, they're impossible to shake and I die.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

NTRabbit posted:

I know you all rave about the Blenheim F, but I really can't get into it, heavy fighters just aren't fun for me. I spawn, I drop some bombs, I make a couple passes at planes, then as soon as a fighter gets on my tail at any altitude that's it, they're impossible to shake and I die.

Yeah I'm not having a good time with Heavy Fighters either. I've seen some people who are REALLY good at them. No idea how they move so drat fast in them, or how they become so tanky. I tend to get insta-shredded whenever I'm flying one.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I was doing poorly in heavy fighters at first until they sort of clicked. I haven't played enough to give advice other than abuse your long boost, if a fighter gets on your tail. The French SE 100 (the ugliest plane) has a rear facing 20mm cannon. In that I just switch to the rear gunner and shoot down the plane on my tail.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

NTRabbit posted:

Heavy fighters are a bit of a Marmite thing, I think you either can make them work or not, there's doesn't seem to be a middle ground. The Blenheim F at tier is probably one of the strongest all round planes going. Drop your bombs asap then just brawl at low level as everything you meet at tier and below you will just eat with your guns and if any fighter gets on your tail, hit T and shoot him with your rear gun, you have more than enough HP for to kill any fighter stupid enough to sit there and let you shoot them.

When you get tier 5 games you are obviously going to get mulched by fighters, so hang out at 1000m and wait for heavies to come into your kill zone as you are more agile than them so get behind and under them and blast away. Also look for sneaky ground attacks and multi-rolls going in for external weapon attacks and dive on them then boost out. The biggest skill with a heavy is to know when to engage and disengage.

Also you need to be getting into bomber streams when on command center maps and shooting down Blenheim IVs when you can simple to make bomber pilots angry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Stanley Pain posted:

Yeah I'm not having a good time with Heavy Fighters either. I've seen some people who are REALLY good at them. No idea how they move so drat fast in them, or how they become so tanky. I tend to get insta-shredded whenever I'm flying one.

It's the rate of climb and dive speeds that makes them seem so fast. These and the fact that their optimum speeds are way higher than fighters.

As for tanky, they have a lot more HP, plus you can fit all the mods that give extra protection to critical components and a hit point boost.

• Locked thread