Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Also for heavy fighters, grab Improved Aircraft Polish, the piece of equipment that increases your acceleration in a dive. Someone gets on your tail? Just point your nose down and slam on that boost, you'll leave them coughing in your dust in a few seconds. Sometimes the chaser is too fast, but this has saved my rear end plenty of times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Yeah I think the problem is I've never been able to outrun a fighter before it kills me in my heavy fighters in a climb or a dive, go faster button pushed or not, and trying to engage one at low level in a brawl is guaranteed death, because they get out of my guns and onto my tail so fast I never have a chance, and the tail gun has proven worthless on all occasions, both auto and when I've tried it manually. The tail guns sure don't bother me one bit when I'm the one in the fighter doing the chasing.

Shooting down a Blenheim IV is the only time I've ever felt useful in an Fw 57, otherwise it's just an XP pinata for fighters and multiroles, because it lacks any capacity to disengage.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Oct 30, 2017

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

NTRabbit posted:

Yeah I think the problem is I've never been able to outrun a fighter before it kills me in my heavy fighters in a climb or a dive, go faster button pushed or not, and trying to engage one at low level in a brawl is guaranteed death, because they get out of my guns and onto my tail so fast I never have a chance, and the tail gun has proven worthless on all occasions, both auto and when I've tried it manually. The tail guns sure don't bother me one bit when I'm the one in the fighter doing the chasing.

Shooting down a Blenheim IV is the only time I've ever felt useful in an Fw 57, otherwise it's just an XP pinata for fighters and multiroles, because it lacks any capacity to disengage.

This is me playing a Heavy Fighter as well. What are the gotta go fast heavies anyway? I'm up to tier 5 in Germany and the big fat premium one from the Corsair bundle.

I've seen some people that move through the air at some incredible speeds with like 4 fighters on their tail not giving a gently caress.. I want to be this guy.

davejk
Mar 22, 2007

Pillbug

Stanley Pain posted:

This is me playing a Heavy Fighter as well. What are the gotta go fast heavies anyway? I'm up to tier 5 in Germany and the big fat premium one from the Corsair bundle.

I've seen some people that move through the air at some incredible speeds with like 4 fighters on their tail not giving a gently caress.. I want to be this guy.

The P-38 is very fast, but the guns feel a little weak relative to its same-tier competition (especially the Beaufighter), and it has no tail gun.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

NTRabbit posted:

Upgrade your rear guns, make sure you keep your gunner perks up and you will find that you actually outrange a lot of fighters so holding down boost while manually firing the turrets can sometimes bail you out.

The Fw57 has some very big guns for tier and if you aim well you can gently caress up fighters in a couple of bursts. Use your speed and altitude advantage.

Stanley Pain posted:

Yeah to say that the German line was a disappointment for me was an understatement.

A tactic that I use quite a lot is that if you own a cap point use the defenses to help you. If it's an airfield get up in the defense fighters and get them to shoot any fighters that latch onto you while dragging your opponent into AA fire. If it's a garrison do the same but use the murderous low level AA more as you don't get the same number of defensive aircraft at these. Also always use the heal at airfields if you have taken damage, even if it means scuttling off out of the furball for a bit.

And just to prove it can be done, I got a Fw57 and did this, completely stock. Not a carry or anything but that's not a bad K/D ratio for a flying brick.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Burt posted:

Use your speed and altitude advantage.

The in game tips say that too, but near as I can tell no such advantage exists. I'm consistently beaten for speed by fighters, and the altitude advantage only lets me reach Blenheim IVs where most fighters can't quite get to, but getting up there without dying first is a chore outside of respawning at altitude.

Also, all rear guns suck, upgraded or not. The best one I have is the 20mm on the SE 100 and even that won't kill a fighter faster than it kills you, unless it's a bone stock plane with just a pair of small MGs like the silly He 112

So far the US fighter line has been the best for me, the Hawk 75M bosses practically everything, and the P-36 has been more of the same.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 30, 2017

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

The in game tips say that too, but near as I can tell no such advantage exists. I'm consistently beaten for speed by fighters, and the altitude advantage only lets me reach Blenheim IVs where most fighters can't quite get to, but getting up there without dying first is a chore outside of respawning at altitude.

Also, all rear guns suck, upgraded or not. The best one I have is the 20mm on the SE 100 and even that won't kill a fighter faster than it kills you, unless it's a bone stock plane with just a pair of small MGs like the silly He 112

So far the US fighter line has been the best for me, the Hawk 75M bosses practically everything, and the P-36 has been more of the same.

Theres a knack to it, stay high and wait for the dogfight to start, try to choose a target that you wont have to turn too much to engage, dive in and spray him with gunfire, pass through the fight and go out the other side and climb to maintain your altitude.

Unless you have a beaufighter, then you just head on everything and murder it in seconds, youll die eventually when something gest on your tail but its worth it.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I got my Beaufighter last night. Sweet baby Odin that thing has a ton of firepower. Plus a quad turret to say "gently caress off" to any fighter on your tail. I gotta laugh at Flamu's warplanes videos. I go through a game, get ~6000 lightning bolts (base XP?) and think how well I'm doing. I watch one of his vids and he has 14000 16000 lightning bolts. Unbelievable.

Moral_Hazard fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Oct 31, 2017

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

MoraleHazard posted:

I got my Beaufighter last night. Sweet baby Odin that thing has a ton of firepower. Plus a quad turret to say "gently caress off" to any fighter on your tail. I gotta laugh at Flamu's warplanes videos. I go through a game, get ~6000 lightning bolts (base XP?) and think how well I'm doing. I watch one of his vids and he has 14000 16000 lightning bolts. Unbelievable.

I ram killed him the other day. I hate ram kills but gently caress it. :haw:

space pope
Apr 5, 2003

I seem to ram things a lot unintentionally and would like to stop doing it. Especially in head on attacks :/

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

space pope posted:

I seem to ram things a lot unintentionally and would like to stop doing it. Especially in head on attacks :/

I tend to do it intentionally. My favorite is in a heavy fighter nose-to-nose with a fighter or multirole.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Get a bomber.

I needed a million creds to get the Me410 last night and it took about 10 bomber missions. My best payer was 160k.

Also the A26 is hilarious as a high altitude very heavy fighter.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

MoraleHazard posted:

Lightning bolts aren't base XP, but they influence it somehow, so they are good to have.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Burt posted:

Get a bomber.

I needed a million creds to get the Me410 last night and it took about 10 bomber missions. My best payer was 160k.

Also the A26 is hilarious as a high altitude very heavy fighter.

I might pick up an A26 for Christmas, dunno.

I'm never good enough at vidja to do serious analysis, but I wonder if XP from shooting down enemy planes / destroying ground targets is a bit wonked. It seems like shooting down enemy planes gives more lightning bolts than destroying ground targets.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Just checking, but are you accounting for having to destroy the entire ground target it to get full credit? Each ground target is made up of several buildings, and you get a lot more points for finishing off the whole thing than for destroying the sub-parts.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Nice new hanger for the 4th birthday, and you can now buy the bombers for tokens.

Although it appears you can no longer buy tokens.

Now go check exactly how many tokens then choke on your own tongue as you work out the gold value.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm glad I bought the tokens for the t3 bomber yesterday. I'm certain I overpaid though.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Burt posted:

Nice new hanger for the 4th birthday, and you can now buy the bombers for tokens.

Although it appears you can no longer buy tokens.

Now go check exactly how many tokens then choke on your own tongue as you work out the gold value.

You could always buy with tokens. That is what was meant earlier about not buying it directly because the gold price for all the tokens is way way higher than even wargaming's gold price in the wiki. That gold price scales with parts though. The more parts you have, the lower the token price. So there is a point where you could get it for less than the price of bomber later, but I think it is around half or more of the parts before you hit that point.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

I tried to play with a joystick last night. The controls are a lot more fluid and intuitive and holy poo poo are fighters maneuverable. I caused a red plane trying to chase me to crash by maneuvering violently near obstacles. Having a throttle control also makes it easier to stay on someone's tail. The big downside is the loss of fine inputs for aiming and the interface doesn't allow you to use your mouse to gents adjust aim when needed. My damage was probably about a third of where it was with kb/m. I'll probably practice some more with the joystick over the weekend, but I have a feeling my $20 logitech joystick doesn't have what it takes keep the guns pinned on a red plane.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Collision mechanics are completely hosed in the head

I have a fancy-ish joystick I bought to play this game when it first came out, before it sucked, I'll give it a whirl

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

NTRabbit posted:

Collision mechanics are completely hosed in the head
As long as I can keep plowing right through hotshot fighter pilots and barely scratch my Beaufighter they can do whatever else they want with collision mechanics.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

In a climb from medium altitude, despite having my go faster button pressed my Fw 57 was actually beaten for speed by a Hawk 75M which was not using the engine boost, and I know this because I was watching it close on me for just ovar 20 seconds while doing very little damage to it with the rear turret. Heavy fighters are just the most pointless class of planes right now.

e: I mean, it could be that the Fw 57 is just the single worst plane in the entire game, because it does literally nothing well - even the bombs take so long to reload you have to get lucky to get a chance to drop a second string

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Nov 2, 2017

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Meanwhile I'm over here tearing poo poo up and raising unholy hell in my Beaufighter and Me 210, so either I'm some sort of idiot heavy fighter savant or you're doing something wrong :shrug: Well, I suppose the Fw 57 sucking rear end is a possibility too.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

NTRabbit posted:

e: I mean, it could be that the Fw 57 is just the single worst plane in the entire game, because it does literally nothing well - even the bombs take so long to reload you have to get lucky to get a chance to drop a second string

I'm starting to think that the German Heavy Fighter line is garbage. Need to check out the P38 Lightning and the Beaufighter when I get a chance to play this weekend.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

I'm liking the Beaufighter but not really enjoying the P-38. I only have the middle cannon right now on the Lightning so maybe once the 37mm is unlocked it gets better. Haven't gone down the
German heavy line yet. My preference is toward the better turn fighters so Heavies aren't really my playstyle and I do occasionally have hugely poo poo rounds in Heavies where that doesn't happen in any other class.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Stanley Pain posted:

I'm starting to think that the German Heavy Fighter line is garbage. Need to check out the P38 Lightning and the Beaufighter when I get a chance to play this weekend.
A word of warning, the P-38F's armament is pretty piddly until you get the 37mm cannon. Pretty fun from then on though, as long as you can actually connect with the spud gun.

Then with the P-38J you're back to a piddly single 20 mm and have to research the better guns again, because obviously that model uses totally different cannons. :WG: :suicide:

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Stanley Pain posted:

German heavy line starts pants but does get better. I am in the Me410 at the moment and that tears poo poo up. You will obviously die to a couple of fighters jumping you, but it's a great line for shooting up bases at the start of a match then to get some altitude and shoot bombers.

biglads posted:

I'm liking the Beaufighter but not really enjoying the P-38. I only have the middle cannon right now on the Lightning so maybe once the 37mm is unlocked it gets better. Haven't gone down the
German heavy line yet. My preference is toward the better turn fighters so Heavies aren't really my playstyle and I do occasionally have hugely poo poo rounds in Heavies where that doesn't happen in any other class.

If you can't make the P38 work with the cannons I don't think getting the 37mm is going to help you at all, plus it's actually less XP to get the next tier up than it is to unlock the gun!!!

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Burt posted:

If you can't make the P38 work with the cannons I don't think getting the 37mm is going to help you at all, plus it's actually less XP to get the next tier up than it is to unlock the gun!!!

Yeah, I'm just not really enjoying the Lightning. I think Tier V is as far as I go with this line.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

I saw Juffowup in game last night.

I think I want the P-47 Thunderbolt the most. It may suck, gamewise, but it was always my favorite WW2 plane.

I also love my Beaufighter. It's ugly, but four cannons, six MGs, bombs, rockets, and a 4 MG 360 deg turret make it a monster.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
I can not for the life of me figure out carry in this game. It just doesn't seem possible. Loss with 10k+ damage dealt, but apparently the damage was in the wrong place because I lost? Never mind that at best, my team is always half bots. Also, It doesn't seem to matter which plane I play, once poo poo hits the tail, I'm dead as there is no way to get them off before you lose hp. Either in trying to boost, trying to hit the deck (How does flying 20ft off the ground protect you anyway when invariably, it is bots on you?), or just wiggling around.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

biglads posted:

Yeah, I'm just not really enjoying the Lightning. I think Tier V is as far as I go with this line.
Well, Burt and I happened to be on opposite teams in our Lightnings the other day, and I shot him down and my team won, so :smuggo:
(Just kidding, though I do maintain that the 37mm does make quite a difference.)

However Burt has a good point about that gun costing more XP than the next plane. That, combined with the gun not carrying over, does mean that whether bothering with it is worthwhile or not is a matter of preference. I think the Lightning is a drat cool plane and was planning on getting both and keeping them anyway, but I can totally understand someone else not wanting to bother with that line.

In other news, the Me 210 continues to be pretty nice

(Yeah we're teamed up now and I think that's a lot more fun than shooting him down was)

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I finished the Fw 57, and decided to use the now vacant slot on the Fw 189 attack plane rather than the Bf110; I'll revisit the German heavy line i future once I actually get some spare slots out of crates, though I'll expand to the UK fighters, USN Multiroles, and maybe one of the USSR fighter branches first.

e: So there's no such thing as crates anymore, looks like it'll be a while before I get any new free slots

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Nov 3, 2017

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

NTRabbit posted:

e: So there's no such thing as crates anymore, looks like it'll be a while before I get any new free slots
They did unfuck the "Combat Reconnaissance" missions though, so we can actually earn some gold from those now. I might use some of that on a hangar slot or two, but I'm gonna wait a while first, to see if they maybe get discounted over the holidays or something.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Nordick posted:

They did unfuck the "Combat Reconnaissance" missions though, so we can actually earn some gold from those now. I might use some of that on a hangar slot or two, but I'm gonna wait a while first, to see if they maybe get discounted over the holidays or something.

I have 1k Tanks gold left, if they have a 50% off slots sale I'll probably get 6 slots, unless they ever plan to start handing them out like candy as they do for Warships. I'm active in every line, have half a dozen lower tier keepers, never sold a premium, and still I have 17 free Botes slots.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Wait, should you be carrying bombs in heavy fighters? I've been avoiding them because of the speed penalty. IIRC, the speed change is permanent whether the bombs are there or not. The blenheim I have bombs equipped since it is internally carried with no penalty. But externals I have avoided (I'll take the penalty for rockets though).

space pope
Apr 5, 2003

I'm gay for heavy fighters. I just love the look of twin engines. I have 10,000 gold and more than 100k free xp but i dont know how to spend it. I was hoarding it for some tier 9 tanks but wowp has been a nice break.

There's a couple nice deals in the premium shop, not huge savings but you can save $8 on a couple 30 day premium and 3000 gold packs.

space pope
Apr 5, 2003

JuffoWup posted:

Wait, should you be carrying bombs in heavy fighters? I've been avoiding them because of the speed penalty. IIRC, the speed change is permanent whether the bombs are there or not. The blenheim I have bombs equipped since it is internally carried with no penalty. But externals I have avoided (I'll take the penalty for rockets though).

I've been taking bombs. I didn't know the penalty was permanent but it seems to be a good way to get some xp and credits for ground attack.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I carry bombs in heavies. Being able to quickly pop a ground target before you engage the defense planes can make capping a base a lot quicker, especially if you pop the HQ building. Plus it's just plain satisfying to blow things up.

One of the main reasons I like the Me 210 is that it carries two 500 kg bombs. That's kg, not lb. They are fuckhuge and a good hit from a single one will easily pop pretty much any but the biggest ground targets, drop both and you'll 100% nuke anything.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
I like the Alt battle UI, but it's super annoying that when in alt more your targeted enemy doesn't show their class symbol like it does in normal mode. I feel like I need to be in normal mode for strategic decisions since I can see the bases on the map more clearly, then I need to be in alt mode when approaching bases to easily see the ranges to all enemies, then I need to be in normal mode again in the furball so I instantly know what I am targeting when I hit target nearest enemy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback
I hope they add this game to Steam like they did with Warships. Would be a real shot in the arm for the playerbase.

• Locked thread