Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

space pope posted:

Thanks, that's exactly what I was thinking!

Also forget doing anything with your rear gunner that extends gun range, get the perk that reduces damage you take from any plane your gunner shoots at by 30%. Keep at the right height and you will shoot down way more stalling fighters like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

space pope
Apr 5, 2003

I am probably just going to put my German heavy crew in it and that's how I have the rear gunner already trained. I think that's the best skill since the rear guns are usually so weak, except for something like the se100 that has the 20mm rear gun.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Any premiums people recommend? I have a glut of gold and figure why not get something fun to make money in.

space pope
Apr 5, 2003

Se100 is good, but not useful as a crew trainer since it's French. The spits are good so I assume the premium is too.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I got the SE100 for free, so I am considering the Brit premiums.....

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
P80-A, but that isn't in the gold shop yet :(

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Did you activate any of the WoWP codes, like the five free tier 5s from earlier?

Edit: wait, how much gold is it. Enough for a 5, an 8, etc.?

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

RandomPauI posted:

Did you activate any of the WoWP codes, like the five free tier 5s from earlier?

Edit: wait, how much gold is it. Enough for a 5, an 8, etc.?

I have tons of old tanks gold, maybe 20k. Enough for multiple tier 8s if they're worth it.

I have all the free tier 5 packs, thanks to goons.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Blindeye posted:

I have tons of old tanks gold, maybe 20k. Enough for multiple tier 8s if they're worth it.

I have all the free tier 5 packs, thanks to goons.

Seafang, very good all rounder, makes good money, Brit pilot trainer, bigly fun.

Meteor, ditto.

IL-7 [The bomber] Good Russian ground trainer, makes loads of money.

A26 [Bomber] Makes money but makes you smile even more.

Blenheim [Bomber] Unkillable stat padding machine.

VB 10 and AD10 very good planes but they are French so no good as pilot trainer but make good bank.

XP-50. American heavy, one of the planes where every time I play it I think "Why the hell do I play nothing but this plane?" It's fun, a great trainer, makes good money and XP.

If I had to pick one only?

The Seafang.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Any opinions on the XP-75 or Boomerang? Any German planes worth having?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I wound up getting which planes to get mixed up and got the German tier 8 multirole instead of the Seafang, it still seems to do fine.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Burt posted:

Seafang, very good all rounder, makes good money, Brit pilot trainer, bigly fun.

Meteor, ditto.

IL-7 [The bomber] Good Russian ground trainer, makes loads of money.

A26 [Bomber] Makes money but makes you smile even more.

Blenheim [Bomber] Unkillable stat padding machine.

VB 10 and AD10 very good planes but they are French so no good as pilot trainer but make good bank.

XP-50. American heavy, one of the planes where every time I play it I think "Why the hell do I play nothing but this plane?" It's fun, a great trainer, makes good money and XP.

If I had to pick one only?

The Seafang.

Um, I assume you mean the rb-17 since there is no il-7 in the game either as a ground attack plane (that would be the il-2 mod) or bomber (only the rb-17).

As for the seafang, I'm coming to the conclusion with my experience in the tornado that wing mounted cannons suck for air to air combat. The convergence is so bad that there is a good chance the target can possibly straddle the shells.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

JuffoWup posted:

Um, I assume you mean the rb-17 since there is no il-7 in the game either as a ground attack plane (that would be the il-2 mod) or bomber (only the rb-17).

As for the seafang, I'm coming to the conclusion with my experience in the tornado that wing mounted cannons suck for air to air combat. The convergence is so bad that there is a good chance the target can possibly straddle the shells.

Yeah the bomber. Use the bomber to train your Soviet GA pilots and rear gunners.

Also the Tornado is an utter monster, not sure why you would have a problem with it, it's Spitfire levels of OP.

Blindeye posted:

Any opinions on the XP-75 or Boomerang? Any German planes worth having?

The Boomerang is great, a solid plane at tier 5. As for German premiums, I have the ME109 TL and that's a fairly solid plane, most of the other stuff I have are low tier heavies and they are all fun, especially now we have bombers for them to chase.

I don't have it but I imagine the German Spitfire would be a very solid performer too.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

So the French comedy plane is amazing, or I click with it really well:

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I've just jumped on board the Warplanes train after hearing some good things about it. Up to Tier 5 just now in the Spitfire 1 and Beaufighter.

Are there any tips on dropping bombs more accurately? Rockets are cool and good, but bombs seem to rely on split second timing and luck to hit things.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Aramoro posted:

I've just jumped on board the Warplanes train after hearing some good things about it. Up to Tier 5 just now in the Spitfire 1 and Beaufighter.

Are there any tips on dropping bombs more accurately? Rockets are cool and good, but bombs seem to rely on split second timing and luck to hit things.
Bombing is very inaccurate when climbing, moderately accurate when in level flight, and very accurate from a dive (shallow dives work just fine). Bombing from higher altitudes is also less accurate.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Mostly depends on your speed/angle of attack. If you're flying level and close to the ground (so typically in a GAA), slow down as much as possible so it's easier to release your bomb right in the center of the target cluster, otherwise if you're flying a multirole or a heavy fighter, dive on target at a steep angle so you can easily correct your aim, release then climb back up.

also protip : what matters for capture points is destroying ENTIRE clusters of targets (say a anti-aircraft gun AND the 3 little sheds/bunkers next to it), because as long as there's one of those buildings standing, even if it's the tiniest tent, the target doesn't count as -destroyed- and your efforts will have been for naught. So yeah, that means that if you're just that close to capturing the objective but there's one tiny unarmored target still standing and you're playing a low flying fighter, it might be a good idea to spray that last building with 20mm autocannon fire real quick instead of trying to chase one of the defense heavy fighters flying at 6000 feet.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Creamed Cormp posted:

Mostly depends on your speed/angle of attack. If you're flying level and close to the ground (so typically in a GAA), slow down as much as possible so it's easier to release your bomb right in the center of the target cluster, otherwise if you're flying a multirole or a heavy fighter, dive on target at a steep angle so you can easily correct your aim, release then climb back up.

also protip : what matters for capture points is destroying ENTIRE clusters of targets (say a anti-aircraft gun AND the 3 little sheds/bunkers next to it), because as long as there's one of those buildings standing, even if it's the tiniest tent, the target doesn't count as -destroyed- and your efforts will have been for naught. So yeah, that means that if you're just that close to capturing the objective but there's one tiny unarmored target still standing and you're playing a low flying fighter, it might be a good idea to spray that last building with 20mm autocannon fire real quick instead of trying to chase one of the defense heavy fighters flying at 6000 feet.

Also if you are contesting a cap and you blow up the last shed of a position that has been nuked by the enemy, you get all the credit for the kill. It's a very good way of stopping caps.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Burt posted:

Also if you are contesting a cap and you blow up the last shed of a position that has been nuked by the enemy, you get all the credit for the kill. It's a very good way of stopping caps.

this also works with kill stealing the white defense fighters

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

So I got the Shushishi in a Battle for Albion box.

Missions are;

1] Get 14000 combat points in a game. OK, we can do that, IL-40, do your stuff;

[first try also, got to love post night shift insomnia and 1 player per side.]

OK that was easy, let's see what we have for the second challenge.

2] Kill 150 defense planes. Only counts on a win. Hmmm... Doable but going to take me a lot longer than 24 hours, I will have to spend some tokens to extend it.

3] Kill 10 planes in a sortie. Ok, tough but doable. Of all 5 plane types. Hmm. Only counts on a win. Oh go and gently caress yourself.

So a question. If I let the mission go beyond 24 hours does it just disappear or does it stay available and I need to reactivate it with some tokens to progress?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It just disappears

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Are bots marked like they are in Warships with the colons around their name?

The Albion mission seemed to be pretty easy if you played Allies as I never lost a single game fighting the good fight.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Aramoro posted:

Are bots marked like they are in Warships with the colons around their name?

The Albion mission seemed to be pretty easy if you played Allies as I never lost a single game fighting the good fight.

No they're not, but they do all have simple, single word, normal real life names, so you can be sure that xXx_WeedLORD_BonerHITLER_xXx is not a bot

Also, you get to see in the post battle screen - to the right of every name is a + button for inviting to a flight, if that button is greyed out, it's a bot.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

No they're not, but they do all have simple, single word, normal real life names, so you can be sure that xXx_WeedLORD_BonerHITLER_xXx is not a bot

Also, you get to see in the post battle screen - to the right of every name is a + button for inviting to a flight, if that button is greyed out, it's a bot.

I assume they're also not the ones that suffer from an extreme elliptic fit as soon as you shoot at them as well.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Aramoro posted:

I assume they're also not the ones that suffer from an extreme elliptic fit as soon as you shoot at them as well.

Nope, they're the bots. :haw:

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Aramoro posted:

That are the bots. Another way to tell while the battle loads is to right click a name. Bots won't have a drop down menu while players will.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Yeah most bots will spazz the gently caress out to evade you, if they're in a plane that allows it.

Incidentally, bots in Me 209s are obnoxious as poo poo.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Which German line is going to lead into the bombers?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

RandomPauI posted:

Which German line is going to lead into the bombers?

I would have thought that it would be from the heavy fighter line, probably branched off the Fw 57, as that was a more-bomber-than-fighter fighter-bomber, and it would lead effectively into the Do 17 Z at tier 4

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jan 11, 2018

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm not too fond of the tier 4 German bomber, am I supposed to fly low?

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

RandomPauI posted:

I'm not too fond of the tier 4 German bomber, am I supposed to fly low?

No, all the bombers are high altitude. It takes some practice to adjust to when to drop. Dropping about your ceiling (just before it turns orange) will be fairly accurate. Going above that will start to diminish the accuracy. You are using the shift key to switch to bombsight right?

In other news, I know I've repeatedly talked in here about how awesome the p80-a is. Well, I went to see how much convertible xp I had just to laughs. I have 730k xp tied up in elite and premium planes. Of that, 300k is in the p80-a alone. Woops?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I use the sights, but dropping small bombs in clusters of four didn't inspire confidence in it being accurate so I never went that high.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

JuffoWup posted:

You are using the shift key to switch to bombsight right?

What?..

I mean yes of course I am....

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Aramoro posted:

What?..

I mean yes of course I am....

A large number of people are not aware of this, I'd not be too bothered about it.

Also press S when you get near your target, you slow down an awful lot and it makes aiming way easier and more accurate. When you are dropping "sticks" of bombs, start to drop as you enter the red target box and try to spread them across the whole area. With single drop bombs try to get the whole red box withing your aiming circle and drop as close as possible to the center. On fast reloading planes like the Blenheim, don't be scared about dropping multiple bombs to secure a point, 4 bombs from this plane will cap any of the primary targets of a cap point. Learn to identify what the primary targets are!

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
And speaking of people not knowing about shift to go into bombsight mode, I just had a game where our ju 88-a was hanging out down next to the ground like an attack plane. So yeah, just buzzing around like some ill equipped attack plane. Luckily, I was in my p-47b, so I could do all the point captures for this fellow that was struggling.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

JuffoWup posted:

And speaking of people not knowing about shift to go into bombsight mode, I just had a game where our ju 88-a was hanging out down next to the ground like an attack plane. So yeah, just buzzing around like some ill equipped attack plane. Luckily, I was in my p-47b, so I could do all the point captures for this fellow that was struggling.

I saw a guy do this in an A26 and he was pretty good at getting kills with it, anything that followed him ran into his bomb blasts, but as for capping, not so much use.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the bombs and machine guns make bombers really interesting at low ceiling levels because only a retard would allow himself to be behind a bomber to be shot at and guess what most pubbies are

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Anyone got any tips of pilot skills for planes like the Spitfire, Hurricane II and Mosquito?

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Aramoro posted:

Anyone got any tips of pilot skills for planes like the Spitfire, Hurricane II and Mosquito?

They are all very different planes. Briefly, Spitfire is a good turn fighter, in the Hurricane use your bombs or rockets on ground targets and then shoot enemy ground attack planes and for the Mossie, stay high to target enemy bombers and heavy fighters and swoop down to hit smaller planes on single passes (don't hang around and get into a maneuvering scrap with fighters, boost away). Also the Mossie has good bombs and rockets so you can make a mess of ground targets too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

biglads posted:

They are all very different planes. Briefly, Spitfire is a good turn fighter, in the Hurricane use your bombs or rockets on ground targets and then shoot enemy ground attack planes and for the Mossie, stay high to target enemy bombers and heavy fighters and swoop down to hit smaller planes on single passes (don't hang around and get into a maneuvering scrap with fighters, boost away). Also the Mossie has good bombs and rockets so you can make a mess of ground targets too.

I know they are very different, i just not sure which skills are good value or not. Like is eagle eye worth it or just keep saving points for a 2 pointer.

• Locked thread