Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Question, where do you bomb the AA to take out the AA and the buildings? Does it have to be both bombs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Alright, I'll go the bomb and strafe route.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I ventured into the forums to see if there was any info on the differences between the lines. It turns out the old players with 30k games hate the change. I was an alpha tester and kept giving up on the game in alpha and closed beta and open beta and general release because the game sucked. But no, the game that was probably a money sink was obviously perfect because it was more like a flight simulator.

A flight simulator controlled by a mouse and a few key bindings that don't reflect the actual flight experience. Christ.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The bomber missions provided loot crates netted me two hangers and enough gold to buy one hanger. That was cool.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Is there a term for the players who think the game was perfect at 1.9 and complain about 2.0 loudly?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Entered.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I do well at tier 3 and below, but I'm horrible with tier 4. Then again I've only had the free Japanese premium tier 4 so maybe I'm just not a match for the playstyle.

Edit: It looks like I don't do well with nimble, fragile airframes.

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Oct 26, 2017

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I've been getting a bomber part every few days, I don't know why the buffalos were complaining that the bombers will take forever to assemble unless they spend gold.

Edit: Doh, doublepost.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm already at over a 50% winrate. Is that normal, better than average?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I think one thing that's helped was just focusing on planes that work with my playstyle. The US fighters and multi-role fighter line.

I'm also not sure how many of the low/mid tier players are familiar with things to shake enemy planes off their tails besides trying to fly in loops. Break for cover. Throttle up, then throttle down and change course so they'll overshoot. Or like, for tighter turns, throttling up once the turns about finished, and then opening fire so the enemy plane flys thru the bullets.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm glad I bought the tokens for the t3 bomber yesterday. I'm certain I overpaid though.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Are there any good mods for the game?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Greggorian posted:

Do cannons require the same lead as machine guns? I'm not sure if the need different lead and i'm not finding it, or if I just suck with something that doesn't spit out hot lead at an alarming rate.

I've probably got the same problem. With a machine gun I can lay down fire and let the enemy plane fly into it. With a cannon I get something like 5 to 10 shots before I overheat.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I've defaulted to bombs, what planes merit the rocket besides the f4f?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

NTRabbit posted:

All out! There are no more keys left in this giveaway!

:negative:

I was still able to get a key for some reason v0v.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
In low tiers they're still fast and maneuverable enough to takedown unsuspecting aircraft. I'm having an easier time with them than heavy fighters.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I had to quit for the night after a series of battles where human players went for the garrisons over and over again instead of the factory, the control center, or the rocket launcher.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

NTRabbit posted:

So many games seem to be decided by one team having bots that follow average AI pathing, and the other team has bots that follow brokebrain AI pathing.

One of my battles saw 6 of our bot team spending the first four minutes trying to capture a garrison. And they nearly lost it to a single red bot nearly capped it out. Myself and our other two players wound up changing our plan from defending an airfield to capping the garrison out in the hopes that we could be back in time to defend the airfield. That battle was a loss.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Somehow [Pansy] is the 44th best clan out of nearly 2000 other clans. I don't have any idea how this happened, but hope it's a sign that we'll do some poo poo in clan wars.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm a recruiter in pansy so joining should be fine. But our leadership was ported over from WOT so we'll need atomizer to pick a successor or to play the game.

Edit: I know what wargaming were going for when they tried the idea out. But one clan for 3 games should have been an opt-in thing instead of mandatory.

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Nov 15, 2017

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Wow, congrats! Will you send a replay of the video to any of the youtubes?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I have a tier 7 premium jet but I've never played it because I'm not sure how to play it and never thought to look it up.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I need it.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I had a crazy idea. If we all went to the training room at the same time could we have a sort of battle royale?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm having good luck with the il-2 mod, better than the elited il-2

Edit: It occurs to me that I would have had more time playing the mod than the il-2, so I might be equating the number of good battles with how good the plane is, rather than how much more play time it got.

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Nov 24, 2017

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It seems like a competent flight can dominate a battle, and that the training needed to get competent isn't something people know about. Which includes training rooms to learn how to work together, and watching fighter training films.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
They were on some Navy aircraft that could possibly be introduced with tailguns; dive bombers and torpedo bombers. They were small so they could be launched from a carrier, they were slow because of their armaments, and they required a bombardier. Adding a rear gunner wouldn't impact their speed significantly and would offer some more protection.

I suspect a combined bomber line of dive bombers and torpedo bombers could work in tiers 2 thru 6 but I can't imagine how the rebalancing issues would work out. The torpedo bombers were meant to fly in low to strike a target before flying away, while the dive bombers were meant to dive in from a high altitude before pulling up.

That said, I would appreciate it if the Skypirate were introduced as a premium, especially if it carried the Tiny Tim.

https://i.imgur.com/NK6AXzO.jpg

wikipedia posted:

The Douglas TB2D Skypirate (also known as the Devastator II) was a torpedo bomber intended for service with the United States Navy's Midway- and Essex-class aircraft carriers; it was too large for earlier decks....

The TB2D was powered by a Pratt & Whitney R-4360 Wasp Major driving contra-rotating propellers. Four torpedoes or an equivalent bomb load could be carried on underwing pylons. Defensive armament consisted of two 20 mm (.79 in) cannon in the wings and .50 in (12.7 mm) machine guns mounted in a power-operated dorsal turret...

Performance

Maximum speed: 340 mph (296 kn, 546 km/h)
Cruise speed: 168 mph (146 kn, 270 km/h)
Range: 1,250 mi (1,087 nmi, 2,013 km)
Service ceiling: 24,500 ft (7,450 m)
Rate of climb: 1,390 ft/min (7.2 m/s)

Armament

Guns:
4 × wing mounted .50 in (12.7 mm) machine guns
2 × .50 in (12.7 mm) machine guns in dorsal turret
1 × .50 in machine gun in ventral bath
Bombs: Up to 8,400 lb (3,810 kg) of bombs or four torpedoes

wikipedia posted:

The Tiny Tim was an American air-to-ground rocket used near the end of the Second World War. It was built in response to a United States Navy requirement for an anti-shipping rocket capable of hitting ships outside of their anti-aircraft range, with a payload capable of sinking heavy shipping.[1] The Tiny Tim was manufactured using 11.75-inch pipe, which was chosen because it was already being manufactured...Also, the 11.75-inch size was of interest in the development because there was already available a 500-pound semiarmor-piercing bomb that was adaptable for use as the warhead for the rocket.

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Nov 29, 2017

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
We can fire tiny Tim's in WoWP?

:getin:

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the free planes heads-up/code.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
2.0.2 is dropping this month with a UK vs Germany mission, free plane mission, German bomber line, Mosquitoes, and other stuff.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The French biplane is fun and quirky

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Do we get a prize for playing every day?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Alright, got in at 3:59 for a few battles. Are any of the new gold planes worth buying?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I got the Venom and it held its own well enough. Speed and gun range were meh but it was exceptional in a turn to the point that only four tier 5 fighters outturn it.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It's nice that the special event starts and ends at a time when I'm not home.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Today I had WoWP and WoWS crash on me, two times and one time respectively.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The boomerang is a good tier 5 fighter.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
For some reason my performance really drops between tiers 5 and 6 and I don't know why.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
There are more Allied planes than Axis planes, which already biases the population towards playing Allied aircraft. Then there are people who don't want to fight for the Axis powers, or who prefer the chance to win Allied multiroles instead of Axis bombers. If they wanted comparable amounts of people fighting for Allies and Axis it'd almost need to be chosen at random.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
2 million richer here.

• Locked thread