Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

I played this way back when but it must have been on the EU server as I don't have my F4U and Bf-110 from then. Nevertheless, it is much more fun than I remember and I've been particularly enjoying flying the Tier III A5M 'Claude'. Doesn't have great guns but it seems to fly rings round everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

RandomPauI posted:

Question, where do you bomb the AA to take out the AA and the buildings? Does it have to be both bombs?

I think it depends on the size of the bombs. I struggle to take out the entire site with 2x100lb or 2x250lb. I usually go for the flak gun with the bomb(s) and then come back round and strafe the buildings. I am far from an expert, there might be some pinpoint bombing experts out there.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Sometimes (a bit like WoT) you can have those games where everything you do is golden.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Greggorian posted:

Question about the game, currently going through and clearing out the tier 2 American planes, but I've noticed for some planes, I'm only able to upgrade one of the two guns? What's up with this? Is the extra damage at a different optimal distance worth it? Edit: also is there a goon channel like the other world of games?

It's usually separated between cowling guns and wing guns with only one sort being upgradable.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I've mined a bit of salt which is always pleasing.

Some guy said "kill yourself" after I shot his Hayabusa down for the third time in the round but the most interesting was someone who told me "I dont need you piss" when he went down in flames. Maybe that wasn't aimed at me and was a scathing indictment of piss-tape shenanigans.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Burt posted:

Forgive me Father for I have sinned against the almighty BEAUFIGHTER [best plane]

I have got a Spitfire, and it makes me moist.

First plane I have managed to go an entire game without getting shot down once. It turns on a sixpence and the 20mm cannons just tear stuff up.

Spitfire is great. In my first game with it stock I managed to get the Grade I Fighter achievement. Team still lost the round though.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I've gone through quite a few lines to Tier V and that's quite a sweet spot for great WW2 piston planes. The line I've had most fun with is the Japanese Navy Fighter line. The A5M is great at Tier 3 as it is just so drat manouverable. Get on the tail of someone, give them a burst then turn away before anyone can get a bead on you, rinse and repeat. Can be great in fuballs when sometimes everyone you turn towards has about 25 health. I kept it is it is my favourite plane to fly so far. The prototype Zero at Tier 4 gets Cannon & MG armament, can still outturn nearly everything else it gets tiered against and the 'proper' A6M2 Zero at Tier 5 is just more of the same. When bad pubs and the AI go into a turn fight it's only a matter of time before you shred them.

The Japanese Army fighters are even more ridiculously manouverable in the horizontal but they are so lightly armed that my gunnery skills aren't good enough to rack up the kills before the cannons overheat. They are also made of tissue paper instead of the wet cardboard that the Japanese Navy fighters are constructed from. I haven't really got the same love for the Hayabusa as the Zero but I saw a platoon of 2 guys KI-43-Is earlier on and they absolutely tore poo poo up in a few Tier 4 games.

biglads fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Oct 25, 2017

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I've recently elited the F4F Wildcat and the P-40. Those big gently caress off rockets on the F4F are fun.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I'm liking the Beaufighter but not really enjoying the P-38. I only have the middle cannon right now on the Lightning so maybe once the 37mm is unlocked it gets better. Haven't gone down the
German heavy line yet. My preference is toward the better turn fighters so Heavies aren't really my playstyle and I do occasionally have hugely poo poo rounds in Heavies where that doesn't happen in any other class.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Burt posted:

If you can't make the P38 work with the cannons I don't think getting the 37mm is going to help you at all, plus it's actually less XP to get the next tier up than it is to unlock the gun!!!

Yeah, I'm just not really enjoying the Lightning. I think Tier V is as far as I go with this line.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Nordick posted:

I dunno, I'm making pretty good progress on the ground targets with the Fw 190 A-1. It has piddly bombs yes, but they also reload oddly quickly so I can just swat some AAA once in a while. I have 6/10 after like three battles.

That said, I'm not exactly enjoying this plane otherwise.

Agreed on the Tier 5 FW-190. I think it is much closer to a Heavy than a pure fighter, one pass then zoom away., it has no dogfighting capabilities at all.

I've found that some of the multi-roles are good, the I-16 (late) at Tier 4 is one of my keepers and the F4F at Tier 5 is fun once you get the big rockets. I've just got all of the upgrades for the Tier 6 Corsair and I've been enjoying that so far.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

You could get a pretty decent Italian Fighter line up to around T7 I think. Don't know how they'd finagle the upper tiers, so more likely you get to see the C.205 as a gold purchase in the future.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I'm quite enjoying the Jug at Tier 6. The bombs & rockets resupply quickly and I've managed to solocap points in it. As long as you can pick your fights, when you have the 8 .50 cals setup especially, you can be a big problem to the opposition.
My favourites are still the knife-fighter Japanese planes. The IJA line is weak at Tier 5 but the Tier 6 Ki-61 is the best dogfighter at that level (I haven't played the P-51 or the Soviet Tier 6's yet, so.....) I've only had a few rounds so far in the A7M but that is still a great turn fighter.

If you can't get Heavies or Multiroles to work for you, try the Japanese lines.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Lord Koth posted:

From experience with human P-51As on my team, it seems incredibly underwhelming. Four .50 caliber guns just do not seem to cut it, and it's actually got a lower gun rating than the P-40 even when fully upgraded. The P-51D at T7 looks like it is probably fine, but the A model at T6 looks like it's probably a tedious slog.

The P-51A was the first Tier 6 I unlocked. I still haven't bought it because of this.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

The upgraded 20mm cannons on the A7M are massively better than the stock ones. I think they must have a better crit chance or something because they really chew through stuff quickly.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

TheDon01 posted:

Also that Bell P39 that comes with the alienware code is loving awesome, the slow firing cannon on it hits so drat hard. There any non-premium fighters that have armaments like that?

The Yak line of multiroles have you covered

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

El_Molestadore posted:

https://www.keypublishing.com/wargaming/Default.asp?m=BAW

This gives you a Dunkirk Spitfire and an Fw 56. Works on EU as well as US server :)

Chiming in to say thanks for this :)

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Burt posted:

You will end up underwhelmed at the Mozzie and rebuy the FW57 the first time it goes on discount.

Also gently caress WG for not offering me the tier 8 bomber. I can't afford the Shooting Star and a Bomber before pay day SO WHY TEMPT ME??!!!

I really like the Mosquito, I've had some fantastic rounds in it.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

There's a free Tier 2 premium US Multi Role & hangar slot if you have a battle today.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

JuffoWup posted:

I assume everyone already knows this, but just to be safe. Take advantage of the skies of albion event to grind out credits on your allied premiums. No matter how bad, you will most often be facing bots anyway which you can destroy easily enough. I've been using my p-80a because, well, it is an awesome plane. I still can't chase 262s and j8ms, but atleast I can dodge them enough and keep them focused on me instead of my teamates.

I use the event to get my doubles on my Allied planes and once they are done jump into the premiums. Even though I only have 4 x Tier 5 premiums + 1 x Tier 4 that are valid for the event they make bank, especially when I was using the Ground Verification chit as well.

mmtt posted:

Any recommendation for a fighter with lots of firepower and great agility? I like the Zero but still need more dakka 'cos it overheats too quickly.

If you keep going up the Zero line you'll get to the A7M at Tier 7 which has plenty of dakka once you have the upgraded 20mms while still being a great turn fighter. Probably the best at Tier 7 is the Ki-84 from the Japanese Army line. The Ki-43's on that line are undergunned but hugely manouverable and the Ki-61 is great at Tier 6 imo. The thing with the Ki-84 is that you can fit 30mm cannons that cause heaps of damage but are prone to overheating. I've got to Tier 7 but no further in a number of lines and the Ki-84 is my favourite, followed by the P-47N which is a very different type of plane.

biglads fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jan 3, 2018

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

So after umpteen loot crates I finally got a plane as a reward. OK it's just the Hurricane I but at least it's something. I've always been a fan of the Hurricane so I'm sure it'll be a disappointment :)

Re-iterating what I said before about the Ki-84, yesterday I got my record number of kills/points in a match with it. From memory it was 16 planes shot down & around 16250 points. The thing is a great point defence plane. Park it over a Command Centre/Mining plant you've already captured and rake in those kills.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Aramoro posted:

Anyone got any tips of pilot skills for planes like the Spitfire, Hurricane II and Mosquito?

They are all very different planes. Briefly, Spitfire is a good turn fighter, in the Hurricane use your bombs or rockets on ground targets and then shoot enemy ground attack planes and for the Mossie, stay high to target enemy bombers and heavy fighters and swoop down to hit smaller planes on single passes (don't hang around and get into a maneuvering scrap with fighters, boost away). Also the Mossie has good bombs and rockets so you can make a mess of ground targets too.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Aramoro posted:

I know they are very different, i just not sure which skills are good value or not. Like is eagle eye worth it or just keep saving points for a 2 pointer.

Ah I get you, my mistake :downs:

Save up for marksman and the like. I don't think 1pt skills are up to much but others may disagree.

^^ beaten

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I elited the Hurricane II last night. Even in rounds ending in defeat I tore enough poo poo up to make plenty silver and exp. When you get a round where everyone else is Tier 4 you can really go to town. My record combat score is around 18,800 in the Ki-84 but I've got very close to it quite a few times in the Hurricane II.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Yeah, that's the poo poo :)

• Locked thread