Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
davejk
Mar 22, 2007

Pillbug

YellerBill posted:

Airfields can be clicked on while waiting to respawn to set your spawn point there instead of the edge of the map. Do this. If there's a little wrench icon in/around the airfield on the minimap then it can repair friendly planes who are flying near it? Or something like that? Capture these early.

There's two types of airfield. Without the wrench icon, they're just spawn points. With the icon, they not only repair friendly planes, they also let you change to any other same-tier plane in your hangar when you respawn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davejk
Mar 22, 2007

Pillbug
Apparently it's possible to tie if both teams capture the zones at the exact same second. For XP purposes it's treated like both teams lost, because of course it is.

davejk
Mar 22, 2007

Pillbug

Stanley Pain posted:

Press ALT to show the alternate UI items, I haven't found an option to make this the default view though.

If you edit the keybinding in the menu, you can change it to a toggle rather than having to keep the button held down.

This doesn't actually help if you're in a bomber, since for some reason the alternate view hides the icons for individual parts of ground targets, so you just see a bunch of giant vague squares.

davejk
Mar 22, 2007

Pillbug
The event bombers will be available for gold later (minus the special paint job).

Buying one with tokens now would be extraordinarily bad value. I'm pretty sure you could buy every other premium in the same tier as each for less money.

davejk
Mar 22, 2007

Pillbug

JuffoWup posted:

Don't outright buy. If you have like, 3/4ths of the pats, it will be cheaper, but going from 0 parts to a completed aircraft will cost too much. I saw a reddit post of someone talking about the t8 bomber. If you look on the wiki, it costs something like 12k gold according to it. However, to go form no parts, it'll set you back about 30k gold for the tickets. So a $50ish plane will cost you $120 if you go that route.

The A-26 in particular is over 3x the price of other T6 premiums (11k gold vs ~3500). It only makes sense to buy it once you're down to 5-6 missing parts.

I have the Blenheim IV. It prints money and you'll only lose if your team is extremely bad, but flying around completely untouchable and playing entirely from the bombsight view is just as boring as playing carriers in WoWS. I wouldn't recommend going majorly out of your way to get one.

davejk
Mar 22, 2007

Pillbug
I thought the A-26 was far more fun, since you're actually getting into fights rather than staring at the bomb sight for 10 minutes.

It has smaller, less accurate bombs than the Blenheim, so sitting at 4km makes your damage output a lot less reliable than flying comparatively low. If you do fly lower in it, you're constantly switching between dropping bombs and shooting with the nose and tail guns, which is pretty fun (until a tier 7 heavy notices what you're up to and melts you).

davejk
Mar 22, 2007

Pillbug

Stanley Pain posted:

This is me playing a Heavy Fighter as well. What are the gotta go fast heavies anyway? I'm up to tier 5 in Germany and the big fat premium one from the Corsair bundle.

I've seen some people that move through the air at some incredible speeds with like 4 fighters on their tail not giving a gently caress.. I want to be this guy.

The P-38 is very fast, but the guns feel a little weak relative to its same-tier competition (especially the Beaufighter), and it has no tail gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davejk
Mar 22, 2007

Pillbug
I do recommend the A-26, but trying to use it as an untouchable high-altitude bomber like the Blenheim just doesn't work. You need to take all the survivability upgrades and start living dangerously at 2000m to be truly effective.

If you don't end a game in the A-26 with at least one or two plane kills you're probably doing it wrong.

If you want to be intensely annoying you can skill up the rear gunner with Defensive Fire and Precision Gunner, more or less guaranteeing that any heavy that chases you will break their wings and engines in the process.

• Locked thread