Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Nice, an Il-2 mod., SE 100, and XFL-1 to add to the XP-77, Me 210, and Pegasus I got from being in the Alpha, the I-15 bis.DM that was a birthday reward, and a Hawk III that I apparently got for logging in over Xmas 2013? At least the game is fun now, even if it doesn't look like I'll grind enough gear for the new bombers.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Oct 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The XFL-1 is hilarious, I didn't check the loadout before taking it for a spin and found myself blatting the poo poo out of everything with what turned out to be a 37mm cannon

e: Also finding myself in a predicament I haven't had in a WG game for ages - not enough empty slots.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Oct 23, 2017

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Buffalos

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I've got 2 Blenheim parts from about 6 crates, don't think I'm going to get there

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Burt posted:

You can get 5 or 6 crates daily if you buy the tokens. As WoWP uses WoT gold I had quite a bit stored up, [which I was never going to use again] so got the Blenheim in about a week.

I have no gold stored up, having used all of it to buy premium time for botes, and I'm not in a position to spend money on anything that isn't a bill, so not buying any tokens

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I'm still going through tier 3, and I've had more than one battle outcome entirely decided by Blenheim IVs, because theirs take over our caps almost with impunity, while ours are doing some combination of wandering aimlessly, flying at low level like attack planes, or just being bad. There's nothing anyone can do to change the outcome.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

But it's not April 1

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

MoraleHazard posted:

In my head I was like, "I just gotta push through the Blenheim IV before I move on to the Beaufighter," but holy poo poo is this plane fun. It's only 2 cannons and that goofy single .303 in the wing, but it just chews through crap. I'm keeping it even after I get the Beaufighter.

Also, I really like the P40 as well. I like the .50cals and looking forward to 8 of them on the Thunderbolt and Mustang.

That's the Blenheim F, a tree heavy fighter, the Blenheim IV is the premium bomber that you get by assembling parts from crates, and it flies so drat fast and high in the sky that nothing at tier 3 or 4 can actually reach it to shoot it down.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Blindeye posted:

Is there a time limit on unlocking those planes?

Ends: November 2, 04:20 PT (07:20 ET)

I've got 4 Blenheim parts and 1 A-26 part, and I'm receiving crates at a rate of 1 per day, so there's zero chance of me getting either

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Sometimes when I take my Airabonita out for a spin, every time I get close enough to something to shoot it I instantly explode, and get to briefly follow some enemy 109 or Spitfire with a hundred guns sticking out the front nuking planes from 800m, then it happens two more times and the battle is over before the squall line, with nobody on my team over 3k battle points and said nuker on 15k battle points

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Darkrenown posted:

You're talking about the premium with the 37mm? I find it really good and fun to play, but to make it perform well you have to land hits with the 37mm - if you do it'll take 1/3rd to 1/2 the hp of most enemies per shot.

Yeah I know, I just occasionally end up in battles where I get nuked by stuff before I even get time to fire a worthwhile burst; at the time I posted it was a platoon? with the German Spitfire presumably shooting premium 20mm cannon ammo, which the wiki tells me is a German specialty.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The only thing I've gotten from crates thus far are premium consumables, credit, and the odd bomber part. The most annoying part about them is that most of them don't count unless your team wins, which cuts the rate of completion down massively. I've been doing one that needed 3 top 3 wins in the mid tiers, and all 3 of my wins were top 3, they were just surrounded by about 8 irretrievable losses, because bots are incredibly stupid. There's another absurd one, which is to destroy 70 ground targets - sounds easy I thought, I can destroy 70 little buildings and AA guns in a day. I was wrong though, because 1 building doesn't count, "1 ground target" mean destroying every little building in a cluster, so the AA gun and the 3 tents, or every barracks, etc, which means if you miss one on your first pass and someone else kills it, you don't get the credit. Irritating as gently caress when all the tier 3s have low bomb counts with small blast areas.

I haven't flown every tier 3 yet, but so far the Fw 159 and A5M are pretty garbage tier. The I-16e starts off as bad as the A5M, but once you elite it it's fine.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Oct 29, 2017

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I'm struggling with heavy fighters, in that when I fight against P-38s and Zerstorers they zoom down from altitude, wipe out a plane or two in a cannon barrage, and then zoom off again before I can even get into gun range, and my fighter can't ever go fast enough to catch them, but when I fly in heavy fighters and try the same thing, fighters accelerate past my Fw 57, Me 210, and SE 100 in dives, climbs, level flight, even with the go faster button on for the full beans.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I've got one at the moment which is to score 9000 points purely from destroying ground targets in a single battle, which is totally ridiculous in anything other than a Blenheim IV. Someone needs to take another pass at these and adjust the conditions.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I know you all rave about the Blenheim F, but I really can't get into it, heavy fighters just aren't fun for me. I spawn, I drop some bombs, I make a couple passes at planes, then as soon as a fighter gets on my tail at any altitude that's it, they're impossible to shake and I die.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Yeah I think the problem is I've never been able to outrun a fighter before it kills me in my heavy fighters in a climb or a dive, go faster button pushed or not, and trying to engage one at low level in a brawl is guaranteed death, because they get out of my guns and onto my tail so fast I never have a chance, and the tail gun has proven worthless on all occasions, both auto and when I've tried it manually. The tail guns sure don't bother me one bit when I'm the one in the fighter doing the chasing.

Shooting down a Blenheim IV is the only time I've ever felt useful in an Fw 57, otherwise it's just an XP pinata for fighters and multiroles, because it lacks any capacity to disengage.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Oct 30, 2017

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Burt posted:

Use your speed and altitude advantage.

The in game tips say that too, but near as I can tell no such advantage exists. I'm consistently beaten for speed by fighters, and the altitude advantage only lets me reach Blenheim IVs where most fighters can't quite get to, but getting up there without dying first is a chore outside of respawning at altitude.

Also, all rear guns suck, upgraded or not. The best one I have is the 20mm on the SE 100 and even that won't kill a fighter faster than it kills you, unless it's a bone stock plane with just a pair of small MGs like the silly He 112

So far the US fighter line has been the best for me, the Hawk 75M bosses practically everything, and the P-36 has been more of the same.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 30, 2017

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Collision mechanics are completely hosed in the head

I have a fancy-ish joystick I bought to play this game when it first came out, before it sucked, I'll give it a whirl

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

In a climb from medium altitude, despite having my go faster button pressed my Fw 57 was actually beaten for speed by a Hawk 75M which was not using the engine boost, and I know this because I was watching it close on me for just ovar 20 seconds while doing very little damage to it with the rear turret. Heavy fighters are just the most pointless class of planes right now.

e: I mean, it could be that the Fw 57 is just the single worst plane in the entire game, because it does literally nothing well - even the bombs take so long to reload you have to get lucky to get a chance to drop a second string

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Nov 2, 2017

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I finished the Fw 57, and decided to use the now vacant slot on the Fw 189 attack plane rather than the Bf110; I'll revisit the German heavy line i future once I actually get some spare slots out of crates, though I'll expand to the UK fighters, USN Multiroles, and maybe one of the USSR fighter branches first.

e: So there's no such thing as crates anymore, looks like it'll be a while before I get any new free slots

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Nov 3, 2017

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Nordick posted:

They did unfuck the "Combat Reconnaissance" missions though, so we can actually earn some gold from those now. I might use some of that on a hangar slot or two, but I'm gonna wait a while first, to see if they maybe get discounted over the holidays or something.

I have 1k Tanks gold left, if they have a 50% off slots sale I'll probably get 6 slots, unless they ever plan to start handing them out like candy as they do for Warships. I'm active in every line, have half a dozen lower tier keepers, never sold a premium, and still I have 17 free Botes slots.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Burt posted:

This is why you keep a Blenheim F, no nerf plz.

I've got one of those in the Hawk 75M

USAF fighter supremacy!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

All out! There are no more keys left in this giveaway!

:negative:

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Nov 9, 2017

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The only thing not on sale for this event is the only thing I actually want to be on sale, extra hangar slots :argh:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

It seems stronger than the A6M1, which is pathetic, and maybe on par with the anemic He 112, but they all pale in comparison to the mighty P-36.

I think it's down to the 20mm cannons, the P-36 being the best by virtue of not having any, which means it takes forever to overheat. In contrast the I-16 late and 112 only get a medium burst before losing 2/3 of their firepower, while the A6M1 seems to fire 3 shots before overheating.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Nov 10, 2017

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I can get top 5 every battle, what I can't do is win more than 1 in every 4.

I'm using this 5x xp first win thing and a day of premium I got from a botes mission to finish the Blenheim, so I can sell it and fill the slot with a tier 2 fighter/multirole branch that is actually fun to fly, but it's taking a long time to do.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Yeah the launcher is also offering 180 days of premium to go along with the Boomerang for $13.99, but when you panic click get to the actual store it's only 3 days

e: Was, they fixed it on the news page some time in the last 5 hours

ee: Got my final 5x, including finishing and selling the Blenheim, then buying the Bulldog, then the Bristol, then the Bristol 2: Electric Boogaloo, with 30s of premium time to spare :slick:

Now even without premium, tomorrow with dailies I'll easily unlock the P-40, Yak-7, FW-190 A-1, Hs 129B, A6M2, and Spitfire, with only the IL-2 lagging behind, though I'll still need to unlock the LaGG-3 and Ju-87 on the I-16l and Fw 189 respectively.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Nov 11, 2017

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Is there anything worth saving tokens for? Otherwise I have 18 of them, which is the price of a new hangar slot

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

So many games seem to be decided by one team having bots that follow average AI pathing, and the other team has bots that follow brokebrain AI pathing.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Also a great many players don't seem to realise that 2/3 of the team are place filling bots. So, when you complain about how bad the bots are, they automatically assume you're insulting them, because people say the same thing about them in Tanks and/or botes, which means they're terrible players.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

After how amazingly best in tier the Hawk 75M and P-36 were, the Warhawk is such a massive let down

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Burt posted:

Please stop bringing your bad opinions into this cool thread. Thank you.

Which part do you disagree with?

I'm assuming tier 5 is where 20mm cannons stop being utter dogshit on fighters, because the American .50 cal is significantly better than every 20mm at tier 3 and 4 in actual use, contrary to the hangar stats

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Blindeye posted:

It is an energy fighter. The P-36 was more of a turn fighter.

Learn to swoop down, shred, then disengage.

The .50cal loadout doesn't lend itself to boom and zoom, those guns are made for extended dogfights where they outdo the 20mm cannons for overheating, or at least did at tier 3 and 4.

Also, boom and zoom generally doesn't actually work against players, the ones you didn't kill zoom after you and shoot you down. Also finding the Warhawk to be a lot more fragile, the two Hawks I considered to be pretty robust, but the Warhawk loses tail/wings and engine basically every spawn, and usually early in the battle.

If a plane can't dogfight or blat ground targets I have no time for it, boom and zoom is the warplanes equivalent of battleship sniping, makes for a good sizzle reel, but contributes little to winning battles.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Nov 19, 2017

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

How many planes really don't have the energy to chase you though? In my experience most planes that aren't ground attack can run you down, or at least do significant damage, and even if you do get away from them, it takes so long to get out, turn around, and come back in again that you're killing one fighter, two if you're lucky, in a grandiose strafe every 70-90 seconds, which really has little impact compared to dogfighting. There's not really a place for boom and zoom in the game the way it currently functions.

https://www.reddit.com/r/WorldofWarplanes/comments/7e0e2i/intro_to_boom_and_zoom_and_energy_fighting/

There's a recently posted guide, but the first response sums it up

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Nov 19, 2017

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Burt posted:

It's the bit where you say the kittyhawk is a bad plane because it really isn't. It's not a Spitfire but it's nowhere near a bad plane.

I didn't say it was a bad plane, I said it was a let down. If anything, it feels like the Spitfire I should be the tier 5 that follows the P-36, it has the same feel and hilarious results.

Burt posted:

What's your idea of boom and zoom? If you think a heavy dives down, shoots you then runs away as soon as anything even looks at it funny then you are seriously underestimating this branch. Now I don't play many multi-roles as I think they are, at low tier, not that balanced, they have no pluses to a lot of minuses, but I do play an awful lot of heavies and I die a lot to other heavies but there's not many at tier fighters I'm that bothered about.

I tried the tier 3 and 4 heavies, and the French tier 5 premium, and found them essentially non functional in 95% of game situations. Not well armed, couldn't outrun fighters, and those were supposed to be the benefits that made up for not being able to dogfight - and the conquest game mode values low and mid level dog fighting above all else, with ground attack second, and daylight in third. All of the heavies I've flown have been XP pinatas, outside of the edge case of being amongst the last alive on the pacific island maps.

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

I haven't played since the promotional event where they gave you free gold for playing tier 5 planes so they would have more than 3 people online when they brought the demos to E3 or something, although I have tried to play it since. Does this game still have the glitch where if you try to update the game it tells you it can't update and if you try a fresh install the game tells you it is updating and then that it can't update so you try to fresh install again and it still doesn't work, and then when you go to support and explain the whole thing to support they suggest you try a fresh install?

To install and play the game now, you need to use the Wargaming Game Center beta, so it shouldn't have that problem

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 19, 2017

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Burt posted:

If you cannot get the Blenheim F to work then I don't think heavies are for you, as that plane is as OP as the Spitfire when it gets a same tier game and can handle itself when tiered up.

Also, what tier 5 French Premium? I must have missed that one :(

SE 100, came with the IL-2 (mod) and Airabonita in the Corsair key pack.

Couldn't get the Blenheim F to work, guns wouldn't shoot fighters down in one pass, and it was consistently beaten for speed by the same fighters, at all altitudes, climbing or descending. Got really tired of having friendly fighters and multiroles zoom past me to the targets, and getting maybe one pass at something before getting a fighter on my tail that would shoot me down 100% of the time, unless someone helped me out, because there was absolutely no way to lose them. Amongst the least enjoyable and least effective planes I've flown, sold it and gave the hangar slot to the UK fighter line, not going to bother with the Beaufighter. Identical experience to the Fw 57, sold that and went sideways into the ground attacks instead.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Nov 19, 2017

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

El_Molestadore posted:

The Beaufighter is the strongest plane I've tried so far in this game and yes, I have a Spitfire too.

The strongest plane I've tried so far is the Hawk 75M, the only *tree* plane at tier that even comes close to it is the I-16 early.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Nov 19, 2017

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Tsurupettan posted:

all the giveaway codes in the first page seem to be gone except this one:

https://na.alienwarearena.com/ucf/show/1790698/boards/giveaways-and-contest-na/Giveaway/world-of-warplanes-bonus-code-key-giveaway

there's over 2800 keys left. the plane is good, apparently.

https://worldofwarplanes.com/warplanes/usa/p-39n-1/

I want it but Alienware geoblock, so it's only available to NA users actually in NA

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Burt posted:

Heavy fighters are crap.

They actually are crap, and they'll continue to be crap until they add something to the game that makes them just as important as the current total meta domination of turn fighting - which probably won't be until they add bombers. That will finally let heavy fighters utilise the only real advantage they have over fighters and multiroles, which is the ability to reach high altitude and maintain top speed in a single boost. Fighters can get up there and defeat heavy fighters easily enough, but it takes too long to get up to bomber height and then catch them, and it looks like bombers are going to be pretty important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Burt posted:

I am honestly at the point here where I wonder if you are just trolling to keep up your reputation of having totally poo poo and wrong opinions in all WG games.

Seriously how can you say that the only advantage heavies have is that they go up in sky really high?

Really?

REALLY???

They also have more HP, rear firing peashooters for dissuading badly damaged pursuers, and their cannons take a little longer to overheat, not really worth writing home about. They're XP pinatas below 1000m, and still matched for speed and easily shot down by a number of regular fighters and multiroles all the way up to 2000m, and the entire meaningful part of every battle (bar the pacific islands and their AI bombers) currently occurs below 1500m, where the ground attack planes are attacking the ground, the fighters are both hunting and counter hunting, and the multiroles are doing a bit of both.

Adding tree bombers gives heavy fighters something important to do above 2000m, that actually has an impact on winning or losing in the conquest game mode.

• Locked thread