Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

BASE TYPES AND HOW TO IGNORE THEM
All base types generate 3 points/sec I believe

Command Centers or whatever they're called spawn waves of bombers at high altitude at the edge of the map. These waves of bombers fly to enemy bases as indicated by the line leading from the command center to the enemy base. Upon successfully reaching an enemy base, the bombers proceed to bomb the poo poo out of it, removing a large amount of the enemy's control of the base and letting you capture it more easily. These are massively powerful. Capture these first when possible (at least one map spawns one team next to a command center while the other team spawns next to an airfield and a garrison).

Rocket Sites (or military bases or whatever they're called) launch V-2 rockets at enemy and neutral bases, removing chunks of enemy capture progress. Capturing one of these early can make it harder for the enemy team to capture bases if they're bads because the rocket will just reset their capture. Capture these as early as possible.

Airfields can be clicked on while waiting to respawn to set your spawn point there instead of the edge of the map. Capture these early.

davejk posted:

There's two types of airfield. Without the wrench icon, they're just spawn points. With the icon, they not only repair friendly planes, they also let you change to any other same-tier plane in your hangar when you respawn.

Mining Sites (or whatever the hell the mine is actually called) generate a massive amount of points every two minutes. This can turn the tide of the battle quite handily. You can press LAlt or whatever the default expanded info key is to see its timer showing how long until it dumps points all over the controlling team. You want to be in control of this when that happens. Capture these early.

Garrisons generate the same 3 points/sec as every other base type and do gently caress all else. They're still important, but capture these last because other base types will often be present.

edit: do be aware that i've only played up through tier 5 and also haven't played in like two days so all this is coming from my lovely memory
edit2: added davejk's helpful post!

Ferrovanadium fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Oct 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

Greggorian posted:

Yeah, I see that with the Hawk 75M. There's the wing mount guns, which can be upgraded after the frame upgrade, but there's also 2 seperate Synchronized machine guns, both in the nose. But only one can upgrade to a 12.7mm machine gun. It seems so weird you would change one gun, but not the other.

Some prewar US planes featured mismatched synchronized guns because ???

Usually a .30 and a .50 in the nose, and then the inevitable upgunned variant would have an additional pair of .50s or .30s in the wings.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

Greggorian posted:

That's dumb and it makes me uncomfortable

It gets really fun in War Thunder when you're juggling different ammo counts for each gun (the .30 usually gets ~500 rounds while the .50 gets 200)

I'm glad that's not a thing in this game, because i'm bad at planes

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

I'm a fan of making sure I'm alive when the squall line comes in and then zipping around deleting enemy planes with the big cannon yaks
edit: They're kind of like autoloader tanks in WoT, where they become way more powerful later in the game

Once you're confident in your aim you can get so many players who think they're safe once they get outside 600 meters!

Ferrovanadium fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Oct 22, 2017

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

Nordick posted:

Yeah, I get that that is the idea behind it. It's a sound idea in principle, but the point is, it does not bloody well work. Firstly, the bombers are so slow they do not make up for the south team's head start at all, and secondly the attackers need to fly all the way across the map when they die whereas the defenders can just spawn right back into action. We actually managed to cap the airbase briefly, but the enemy just instantly furballed all over it and capped it right back. It was a complete shitshow.

I've won more games from the north than the south but part of it hinges on the COMPLETELY RANDOM (why?) direction the bombers pick to go in

If they go towards the garrison first you can swing around and take the airfield from there but if they go towards the airfield first you'll never take the airfield while the enemy grabs the command center out from under you

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

JuffoWup posted:

There is a yak further up the tree with a 45mm cannon on it :laffo:.

There's an entire line of those! The USSR multirole fighters are glorious sniper planes that can outright delete things with 2/3 health or less

e: Those big-gun yaks actually existed afaik, which I think is the funniest part. The cannon recoil would cause coolant leaks!

Ferrovanadium fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Oct 26, 2017

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

TheDon01 posted:

So whats this games version of a Löwe? Just starting this game at the 2.1 patch and I got a pile of leftover gold from WoT and am thinking of picking up a plane to farm credits with.

I think most of the tier 8 fighters are good but for the love of god don't get the japanese rocketplane. I've seen that thing in action (and in videos) and... yikes.

Highlights:
-Seems to go too fast to actually control
-Just bad handling in general? Awful turning circle
-Terrible durability
-Twin guns have terrible rate of fire, short range, overheat instantly
-Needs to be able to kill things on the first pass but just can't

Maybe it's good in the hands of some savant I haven't run into yet but don't get it for credit grinding.

edit: I have the russian premium 57mm-armed jet, the I-260 or whatever, and can vouch for it if you like the russian big-gun sniper fighters that start at the Yak-7

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

Lord Koth posted:

Also, skimming the tech tree, I've got no idea how effective it actually is but after noticing it I now I really want the F-94D. Because who needs multiple guns when you instead have a 3000 RPM Vulcan? Could be missing one, but not seeing any other plane in the game that has the option of equipping a rotary cannon. Plus I just really like that kind of design (shared with a few other US fighters not in the game).

I really want to go for the F-94D but I'm finding out that I do so much massively better in fighters compared to multirole fighters that I'm not sure I want to continue grinding up the corsair line.

Most of my line-specific knowledge is about multirole fighters, what can people tell me about the German and Russian fighter lines? I decided to try grinding the USAAF inline engine fighter line to see if the all-MG loadout continues to be able to hold its own and it's an interesting change of pace, and far more effective than it looked at first.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

LostCosmonaut posted:

Is the MK108 worth it on the Me-410? I remember IRL it has really low muzzle velocity, and I'm worried about its ballistics being really different from the 20mm.

Speaking of which, I hope they add the Ho-301 to the game, just for comedy value; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ho-301_cannon

Fwiw I've been absolutely cleaning up with the MK108-armed 410, and am looking forward to four of them on the 109Z (and subsequent upgraded 30mms on the 262 series)

e: I don't think planes have different ballistics between guns in this game, or at least if there are different ballistics the only difference is between cannons and MGs

e2: that's not to say there aren't different ballistics across different planes on different nations, just that it seems that on a given plane you won't have to account for leading different guns

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

Burt posted:

I actually switched back from the 2x 30mms on the 109Z hub guns as the DPS gain is a bit too much of an offset for the loss of 200m+ range and the rate of fire.

The 30mms utterly eat bombers and are super for base bashing but when you are trying to get some hits on stuff that it actively trying to avoid you I feel the ability to pump out a ton of 20mm cannon fire far more worthwhile. I'm sure that 20/30 mix is highly non optimal but it seems to work for me but I should maybe pick my targets a little better. I'll probably try going back to the 2 sets of 30mms but for this weekend it most definitely felt better.

Oh yeah I should probably point out that I'm actually insane and cannot recommend flying like I do, which is borderline suicidal point-blank-range unloading into dudes and praying they die before you crash into them

The 30mms excel in that highly specific context but you have to have absurd luck or great aim (I alternate between both). The 20mms are by far easier to use just because they have things like a reasonable range and a more practical rate of fire, as you've said

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

Mans posted:

I don't really get why i need to stay half an hour shooting at planes for 1 or 3 hp per bullet while sometimes some dude just grazes by me and obliterates me in a 1 second salvo.

Work on your aim. No, really. Damage output as a portion of your potential maximum damage per second is determined by how well you're leading the target. Start giving things a little less or a little more lead until you see damage output go up.

The other possibility is just that you're in a plane with kinda crappy damage output like many of the tier 4 fighters (late model I-16, A6M1, etc) and the only advice I can give from there is "it's about to get a lot better at tier 5"

e: for the sake of giving better advice, what plane(s) are you having this problem in?

Also of course make sure your guns aren't overheating

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

Mans posted:

Struggling really hard on early tier American and Japanese planes, I also absolutely suck with German fighters but i also sucked with those in pre-2.0 Warplanes and War Thunder.

There's no reticle that predicts movement right? What do you recommend, just firing small salvos to get a proper feel of how long the guns take to reach the enemy plane?

I recommend getting into the early american USAAF fighters (not the multirole fighters, but the line that leads through the P-40) and using those MGs' ability to fire drat near forever without overheating to let you wiggle your aim around until you get a feel for where to aim to deal damage. It's not enormous damage output but at most speeds/ranges in those planes you should only need to aim about one plane length ahead of the enemy planes to score "proper" hits on them. Once you get a feel for aiming you can get into some of the earlier cannon-armed planes in other nations and get a feel for the slightly increased lead those seem to want-- and in those you will want to be firing short bursts, not just to get a feel for aim but in general because the guns will overheat very, very quickly

e: I feel that it's important to note that if you're used to War Thunder aiming you'll want to dial it back considerably for WoWP, many situations in this game require far less lead than anything in War Thunder outside of very low speed combat (this is colored by me being mostly used to japanese planes with their very terrible muzzle velocity in war thunder)

Ferrovanadium fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Nov 14, 2017

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

RandomPauI posted:

Somehow [Pansy] is the 44th best clan out of nearly 2000 other clans. I don't have any idea how this happened, but hope it's a sign that we'll do some poo poo in clan wars.

Are there any openings in PANSY atm? I want in

e: IGN internalizedmediocrity

Ferrovanadium fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Nov 15, 2017

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

Burt posted:

As you play today, just check if your bots are being stupefyingly bad at all.

I have just had about 5 losses in a row, no biggy, it's RNG after all but when I check, a lot of our bots were only just getting over 1k in combat points which was a half to a third what the opposing bots were doing. It was very weird.

Occasionally upon capping a point the bots start using the air defense fighter AI and just circle over the point forever until an enemy plane enters the point or they die

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

space pope posted:

Me too! IGN vuvuzela_salesman.

I played against random Paul last night and realized pansy was in wowp. Is there any point to clans yet?

I don't know if clans do anything yet but I played WoT clan wars with PANSY ages and ages ago and it was good fun, so seeing as I'm actually good at this game maybe I'll be able to contribute more if wowp clan wars happens

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

RandomPauI posted:

I'm a recruiter in pansy so joining should be fine. But our leadership was ported over from WOT so we'll need atomizer to pick a successor or to play the game.

Edit: I know what wargaming were going for when they tried the idea out. But one clan for 3 games should have been an opt-in thing instead of mandatory.

Yeah I don't think "one 100-player clan across three games" is a good idea if the clan's going to participate in clan wars across multiple games

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

Lord Koth posted:

Hurricanes - and I'm pretty annoyed that line is nowhere in the game, just getting four models of Spitfire instead.

Hopefully we'll see a Hawker Hurricane/Typhoon/Tempest line at some point, since the current british fighter line is mostly supermarine aircraft

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

Moose_Knuck posted:

Do they ever plan on releasing bombers as an actual line instead of premiums? I'm having a blast with attack aircraft right now, but I'd really like to give bombers a go. Also, they are hilariously OP in low tier games, especially with incompetent heavy fighters. This game is so good though in that each aircraft really gets to play their role well.

They're working on bombers right now afaik

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

Burt posted:

I am honestly at the point here where I wonder if you are just trolling to keep up your reputation of having totally poo poo and wrong opinions in all WG games.

Seriously how can you say that the only advantage heavies have is that they go up in sky really high?

Really?

REALLY???

If someone's bad at killing things in one pass I can see why they'd hate heavy fighters and think the only advantage they have is altitude

Alternately if the only heavy fighters they've played are the tier 2-5 german ones, mostly stock P-38s, and somehow the Mosquito (Maybe the XP-50 too?)

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

NTRabbit posted:

They also have more HP, rear firing peashooters for dissuading badly damaged pursuers, and their cannons take a little longer to overheat, not really worth writing home about. They're XP pinatas below 1000m, and still matched for speed and easily shot down by a number of regular fighters and multiroles all the way up to 2000m, and the entire meaningful part of every battle (bar the pacific islands and their AI bombers) currently occurs below 1500m, where the ground attack planes are attacking the ground, the fighters are both hunting and counter hunting, and the multiroles are doing a bit of both.

Adding tree bombers gives heavy fighters something important to do above 2000m, that actually has an impact on winning or losing in the conquest game mode.

Is tier 5 your highest tier or something? From the pacific islands onward every map has at least one configuration with at least one command center spawning bombers, and speed/altitude advantages matter a lot more because the maps are larger. High tier heavy fighters can kill most smaller aircraft in one pass and extend away from the enemies that remain unless they've jumped on enemies that have energy.

e: heavy fighters being able to kill a lot of bombers very quickly is also a Big Deal because the alternative is the bombers surviving long enough for like seven low-altitude AI fighters to decide to go pursue them and they will never catch those goddamn bombers, thus taking themselves out of the fight entirely for an extended period of time

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

NTRabbit posted:

I just said heavy fighters being able to kill a lot of bombers quickly is a big deal, which is why it'll be good when player bombers are added, because it's the only big deal heavy fighters have.

I'm saying it's a big deal even now, with the AI bombers, because it involves babysitting the AI. And babysitting the AI is a big chunk of the game because at tier 8 and up-- sometimes even at tier 7-- the game likes to throw me into a match alone on a bot team against one, rarely two human players on the enemy bot team

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

Creamed Cormp posted:

tell me whether the Airabonita (tier 5 american fighter) or the IL2 mod (tier 5 soviet attack aircraft) are worth getting since they are on a slight discount.

The Airabonita dies if you look at it funny but if you can aim the cannon it kills things pretty well

Be aware that if you miss even two cannon shots in a row your DPS vanishes

The IL-2 mod is (afaik) a historical-configuration IL-2 with a weak rear turret and maybe very slightly worse flight characteristics due to the added weight? If you really like the tier 6 IL-2(t) go for it i guess

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

Some impressively bad teams today, wow. Also the P-47B is... not great. The bombs reload slower than the bombs on the XP-44 I think? And the rockets reload quickly but they're terrible. The guns are okay (if very short ranged) but you'll never get to kill anything as all the enemy players dogpile you looking for the free kill a P-47 on a strafing run often represents

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

hreple posted:

Just came back to this on the eu-forum, and It’s just fun. Not warthunder- something extremely different.
Feel free to add “hreple” on the EU server.

Also - am I right in thinking that I shouldn wait and not pick the first crew skill / skills because they’re sort of bad. Or do I have to pick one of the two to gain more xp for the next skills? I haven’t found any info on it.

I usually grab the "maneuvering puts out fires" or "reduced fire duration and damage" skill if i'm playing fighters

You don't need to grab one skill to start accumulating XP towards another skill point, and there's not really an order to the skills (ie there's no "next" skills, just more expensive ones)

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

Tiny Tims seem pretty rad on the higher tier american planes already-- they're rockets that hit as hard as big bombs

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

One thing I've been talking about with friends on the subject of cannon vs MG balance is the concept of "applicable DPS" relative to paper DPS. For instance, the XP-58 has ludicrous paper DPS with its quad 37mm cannons, but if you miss even one shot you lose a huge chunk of your damage because they fire only two rounds per second. Meanwhile, the P-51H at the same tier has six MGs with a very high rate of fire. It's very easy to apply 100% of its paper DPS because missing a shot is very little DPS loss, it's easy to keep the MGs on target, and they take forever and a day to overheat. In situations where the enemy aircraft is twisting around a bunch, I'd want the MGs because I can just hold down the trigger. However, in most situations MGs still lose because cannons can apply just enough of their DPS that even if they're not doing their maximum possible damage they're still doing more damage. Cannons overheating faster isn't an issue for many cannons past tier 4 because even the faster-overheating cannons can usually kill at least one plane before overheating.

Cannons also have the range advantage, and I really think that if they just gave the higher tier US MGs up to 100 meters more range to take their optimal range out to 650-680 meters they wouldn't feel so underarmed.

MoraleHazard posted:

Maybe WG can put a temporary ammo count on cannons that then needs a set time to reload much like bombs and rockets. It can be much shorter, otherwise MG's would be too powerful.

This is what the weapon overheating attempts to do, limit how much you can fire your cannons. For it to really stand out they'd need to make weapons take much longer to cool down so they probably won't go that route.

Ferrovanadium fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Nov 29, 2017

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

Greggorian posted:

Are the aircraft specifications helpful at all? According to them, the P-40 has maneuverability higher than about half the planes at it's tier. So I suppose if you factor in heavies and ground attack planes, it's only more maneuverable than like, one or two other fighter/multirole planes? I was able to turn and burn US fighters up until now, but the P-40 just feels so heavy in a turn.

You can click the drop down bits to get more detailed info, such as turn time and roll rate. The P-40 doesn't have *bad* maneuverability, but it's pretty average.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

Nordick posted:

I really don't find the machine guns that anemic. :shrug: Compared to the Spitfire, the paper DPS is only 32 lower than all the Spit's guns combined, and 48 higher than the Spit's cannons alone. And they're so drat easy to hit with.

The real thing that makes the all-MG loadouts feel anemic at higher tiers is you start getting some really noticeable range issues compared to cannons

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

Greggorian posted:

For the 'Effective in Mid/Low altitude combat' does that just mean, stay around your optimum altitude as much as possible?

You should be trying to stay to your optimum altitude anyway but you can safely ignore "effective in low/mid altitude maneuvering combat" or "effective in intercepting aircraft at a high altitude" after you've figured out how to play to your aircraft's strengths

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

Must I Do Everything Myself

e: we were one points tick away from losing, i basically had five seconds to kill the last enemy IL-10

Ferrovanadium fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Dec 8, 2017

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

JuffoWup posted:

Neither, you stick out the german heavy line and come back to the flying wings from them later. The stukkas have the insufferable problem that you have to gun down every single structure. They don't carry any bombs or rockets. A 57mm gun seems nice, but then when you consider it is the only gun you have and you start to see the problem with it. That is the other reason I've been grinding through the me-410.

As for the us heavies, one thing not mentioned are the gimmicks of tier 9 and 10. At 9, you'll get to do what I mentioned earlier. Downgrade to a single gun. This is with the starfire which is still considered a heavy unlike the pirate. However, the gimmick is that the single gun is a 20mm vulcan cannon capable of 2000 rounds/min. I have no idea how quickly that thing overheats, but that should be comedic to use. At t10, the gimmick is raw speed. The us t10 heavy fighter is the fastest plane in the game.

The Starfire is a multirole, in the multirole line, and the tier 10 that comes off of it is another multirole that is pretty drat quick but not the fastest plane in the game

The tier 9 USA heavy is the F2H Banshee which is pretty cool and I think handles better than the other tier 9 heavy fighters? something like that

e: also seconding "take the german heavy line to unlock the german ground attack flying wings" because low tier ground attackers are miserable

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

JuffoWup posted:

As far as I know, the bombers are not getting removed. The tokens allows a way to attain them for free, but they'll be going to a premium/gold sale next year. To coincide with the launch of the first bomber tree. I already forget which nation is first though.

German bombers are first I think.

re: heavy fighters, the german and british tier X heavies are tied at 1100km/h and have the same turn time but the 262 has a higher optimum airspeed than the Javelin, so it handles better at high speeds and worse at low speeds. They're pretty similar except for the part where the Javelin trades some roll rate for having the highest non-ground-attacker HP pool in the game. Meanwhile the XF-90 has ludicrous speed and acceleration, a godawful turn time, and a ridiculously high optimum airspeed.

re: multiroles, the tier 10 USN multirole and tier X german multirole (the BV flying wing) approach the heavy fighters in speed (and HP pool) afaik and also have similarly pretty bad turn times. The tier 10 USAF multirole is basically a worse Sabre with 50 more HP and the ability to carry a massive load of ground attack ordnance. The IJN tier X multirole has heavy fighter armament on a solidly mediocre (and kinda sluggish) airplane, while the USSR tier X multirole has ludicrous twin 57mm cannons with something like 1.15km range on a similarly "meh" aircraft

tldr tier X multiroles are various gimmick planes

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

Digging the BV P.210's "tier X guns at tier 8" gimmick. Also the part where it inherits the Focke-Wulf roll rate. Also also the part where it gets salvo-launched rockets. Etc.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

hreple posted:

Is the us fighter line for real though? I'm at the P40 - six 50.cals are doing NO damage. Holy poo poo they're bad - and then I'm seeing P51's with the same armament at later tiers where everyone and their mother and dog got not just 20 mm cannons, but 30's. How the gently caress are you supposed to do ANYTHING when burst mass is pretty much all thats good due to the action paced gameplay. Did wargaming just ... forget this? Jesus it's infuriating.

The P-40 kinda wrecks things at tier so make sure your aim isn't off/there isn't massive lag/etc. The P-51A is the real lovely plane in the line because its gimmick is you get better MGs but fewer of them-- and the damage output gained from the improved guns doesn't make up for losing two guns. I've not had a problem staying on the tail of things long enough to get kills with any of the planes I've flown from that line.

If you don't like the MGs stop now though because they do continue to feel anemic even when the damage output is good.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

JuffoWup posted:

Speaking of the me-265, I gave up and free xped to it as I really didn't want to get into a loving relationship with the me-410 to unlock both it and the follow up heavy.

I don't have the engine upgrades yet, but do have the 20s (and now 30s, but not flown it with the 30s unlocked) on the wing unlocked and mounted. That thing is amazing at sprinting around the map and causing chaos. Or if not chaos, able to at least respond when things go south closer to home while you were busy capping some other point closer to the enemy's spawn.

Edit: The p80-a continues to be overpowered as hell imo. The ability to move around the map so quickly thanks to it being a jet plane can not be overstated enough. Many planes of this tier are still stomping around with propellers. I'm now actually pondering how fun the meteor would be to fly considering you can to race around the map nearly unhindered thanks to being a rare bird jet at t7. However, that would be a fun purchase because the p-80a will completely outclass it when it comes to credits.

Kostikov 302's better than meteor because it gets a rocket boost and jet engines while the meteor only gets jet engines.

e: the meteor is easier to get ahold of though, last time i saw the 302 go on sale in a not-huge bundle it was paired with the J8M sushi

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

Creamed Cormp posted:

I absolutely hated the P47B (tier 6) which I felt was just a lovely fighter and a mediocre ground attack plane, but for some reason I'm enjoying the P47N (tier 7) much much more. I mean it still can't turn for poo poo and the .50s have trash range, but somehow I have had a lot more fun in it.

Either it has some sort of magic thing that makes it good, or I might just have finally learned not to get in turn fights against spitfires and japanese fighters with it.

The speed increase most energy fighters/multiroles get going from tiers 5-7 eventually lets them start outrunning dedicated turn fighters like spitfires and zeros/a7ms that don't have an energy advantage, and being able to just leave a fight you otherwise won't survive is very powerful.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

Creamed Cormp posted:

2.02 patch notes

- Event with stuff to win, and Secret Santa.
- New planes! (also old planes added to the ingame shop)
- premium planes removed from the shop! (so if anyone can look at the list and tell me if there's any I should be getting before its REMOVED FOREVER, please tell me I'd really appreciate it.)
- system fixes
- interface changes
- new maps, and new hangars
- bug fixes

The La-11 is one of the tier 8 aircraft that isn't a weird gimmick plane if you care about that, aside from that all the stuff becoming gift planes is pretty missable.

The Yak-3RD is a neat novelty I guess but it only gets one gun so I personally would skip it.

The M.20's a pretty alright tier 5 premium i guess

e: also we're finally getting (the first part of) a Hawker multiroles line, hell yeah

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

RandomPauI posted:

Alright, got in at 3:59 for a few battles. Are any of the new gold planes worth buying?

The british Mustang IA is the Mustang I/P-51A but instead of 4x lovely MGs it gets 4x cannons, I quite enjoy it.

e: The french AD 10C2 is pretty neat if you don't already have it

e2: reading the patch notes again and

quote:

Readjusted aircraft type-specific missions -- completion difficulty now equivalent for all aircraft types
I hope this means they unfucked scoring for multiroles because it's kind of ridiculous how quickly I could get 3rd class or better in fighters or heavy fighters compared to multiroles

3x EDIT COMBO:

quote:

Removed several asymmetric map layouts:
Scorching Sands: Outpost
Plateau: Shock Wave
Alpine Gambit: Edelweiss
I liked Edelweiss but Shock Wave can eat a dick and I'll gladly lose Edelweiss in order to lose Shock Wave too

Ferrovanadium fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Dec 21, 2017

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

El_Molestadore posted:

Tornado is beastly. Quad 20 mms, rockets and good speed/maneuverability is getting poo poo done at tier 6.

Yeah holy poo poo this thing rules, I can't wait for the full line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

Creamed Cormp posted:

Does the model actually change when you go from the inline to the radial (centaurus)? Because inline engines look lame as gently caress. (except maybe the ki61, but then again they ended up putting a big radial on it too and it looked loving beastly)

Yep!

Also the german bombers own, I got lucky and got all of them through loot boxes (both purchased and event rewards)

The Hurricane I is fun too, I don't have the Hurricane II yet but I expect it to also be good

• Locked thread