Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Greggorian
Feb 28, 2003
Teh Slacker King
Question about the game, currently going through and clearing out the tier 2 American planes, but I've noticed for some planes, I'm only able to upgrade one of the two guns? What's up with this? Is the extra damage at a different optimal distance worth it? Edit: also is there a goon channel like the other world of games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greggorian
Feb 28, 2003
Teh Slacker King

biglads posted:

It's usually separated between cowling guns and wing guns with only one sort being upgradable.

Yeah, I see that with the Hawk 75M. There's the wing mount guns, which can be upgraded after the frame upgrade, but there's also 2 seperate Synchronized machine guns, both in the nose. But only one can upgrade to a 12.7mm machine gun. It seems so weird you would change one gun, but not the other.

Greggorian
Feb 28, 2003
Teh Slacker King

YellerBill posted:

Some prewar US planes featured mismatched synchronized guns because ???

Usually a .30 and a .50 in the nose, and then the inevitable upgunned variant would have an additional pair of .50s or .30s in the wings.

That's dumb and it makes me uncomfortable

Greggorian
Feb 28, 2003
Teh Slacker King
Question about using T to switch to rear turret gunner: how does the plane fly? Does it just keep going in whatever direction, or does it auto pilot?

Edit, seems you're still in control for moving left/right, but I guess it just stays at the same level you left off as.

Greggorian fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Oct 25, 2017

Greggorian
Feb 28, 2003
Teh Slacker King

Nordick posted:

You can control your elevator in turret view too, it's just they're bound to the drat arrow keys by default. I rebound it to W and S and the throttle controls to Shift and Ctrl. Leaning on the pitch up key lets you sometimes turn tighter than you would with just the mouse, which comes in handy.

Ah, thanks for the tip. Also, are fighters/multi-roles turn fighters while heavies are boom and zoom, generally speaking?

Greggorian
Feb 28, 2003
Teh Slacker King
More questions: I was reading up on how to not suck rear end at ground attack, and the post said to target the HQ first, so that AA looses accuracy. But no one mentioned what the HQ looks like, anyone know?

Greggorian
Feb 28, 2003
Teh Slacker King
Do cannons require the same lead as machine guns? I'm not sure if the need different lead and i'm not finding it, or if I just suck with something that doesn't spit out hot lead at an alarming rate.

V---Yes! God, I thought this tier 5 American premium fighter would kick rear end. Little did I know, the swapping of 4 machine guns for a single cannon would kill any ability I have to shoot down enemies.

Greggorian fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Nov 5, 2017

Greggorian
Feb 28, 2003
Teh Slacker King

Darkrenown posted:

It can be useful to bind your weapons to different keys so you can blaze away with your MGs and only fire a burst of cannons when you have a good shot.

Well, really I could do that by just waiting to be closer than then 520m range of the cannon. The MGs have 440m range, so if I just hold off to 450-475m range, I should be able to get hits with both. But I want to kill things, so at 520 I just hold down button for damage, even though I have no idea what I'm doing, and therefore do all the wrong things. My best bet, would be to just not hold down left mouse, and just click and see if I have the lead right, without super heating my cannons. But after 4 tiers of US fighters being 'hold down button to win' it's hard to get out of that mindset.

Greggorian
Feb 28, 2003
Teh Slacker King
This might be more of an aviation history question, but why don't the US heavies have rear gunners? And why do UK/German heavies drop the rear gunner at higher tiers? I suppose I can understand when they get to jets, as at those speeds and altitudes it's probably not feasible to have one, but on propeller craft, I just don't get it.

Greggorian
Feb 28, 2003
Teh Slacker King
Thanks for the rear gunner talk, makes sense to think of them in a fighter-bomber role than just a heavy fighter.

Edit: another question, a link earlier had 'the best equipment and skills' for particular planes, and according to that, all US planes are boom and zoom, but I've been mostly successful using them as fast turn and burns. I'm only at tier 4 right now, so is it more boom and zoom at the higher tiers for fighters?

Greggorian fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Nov 29, 2017

Greggorian
Feb 28, 2003
Teh Slacker King
Are the aircraft specifications helpful at all? According to them, the P-40 has maneuverability higher than about half the planes at it's tier. So I suppose if you factor in heavies and ground attack planes, it's only more maneuverable than like, one or two other fighter/multirole planes? I was able to turn and burn US fighters up until now, but the P-40 just feels so heavy in a turn.

Greggorian
Feb 28, 2003
Teh Slacker King

Nordick posted:

The P-40's greatest strength lies in being COOL AS poo poo and being flown by John Belushi in 1941.

EDIT: Well it's pretty fast too, with high top speed, dive speed AND optimum airspeed.

But with machine guns, it doesn't seem to do enough in a diving attack. When I play it, I try to get up to optimal altitude while boosting towards a command point. Then, as I get closer and the defending craft pop up, I level out, until I'm about 1-1.5km away, then start the dive. I open up with machine gun fire, but since the lights are way more maneuverable, I'll switch targets depending on what's mostly in front of me, and if it's a heavy, I'll usually settle in behind it since I can keep up. Eventually, I do the same to enemy territory/defending friendly territory. Is this the best method in US fighters?

Greggorian
Feb 28, 2003
Teh Slacker King
I'm probably just as bad at planes as I am in tanks and boats :smith:

Edit: Hopefully it'll feel a bit harder hitting when I upgrade the frame and buy the 2 extra wing guns

Greggorian fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Dec 2, 2017

Greggorian
Feb 28, 2003
Teh Slacker King
For the 'Effective in Mid/Low altitude combat' does that just mean, stay around your optimum altitude as much as possible?

Greggorian
Feb 28, 2003
Teh Slacker King
Thanks for the code. Was anyone else having trouble logging into the wargaming.net site? Kept failing when I clicked login, and I had to go in through Chrome instead of FF.

Greggorian
Feb 28, 2003
Teh Slacker King
Question regarding boom and zoom:

How far below my optimal altitude should I stray? In the P-40 for example, I'll typically climb to 1600m, go toward a capture point, see enemies, then begin diving to try and line up some attacks. At what altitude should I break off? If i'm at 1600m and the enemy is 1000m below me, should I not bother? Should I try to aim for people 800m or less below me? What's the sweet spot before turning to climb?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greggorian
Feb 28, 2003
Teh Slacker King
Just in case anyone missed it: WGVDAY2018
Free hanger slot
Edit: I think it's NA only

• Locked thread