Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's going to win this mess?
This poll is closed.
Our New Canadian Overlords 19 35.19%
East Hartford FC 0 0%
Better World Cup Odds Than the USMNT 3 5.56%
28-3 4 7.41%
gently caress Anthony Precourt 9 16.67%
Our DV8 Doesn't Have a Brass Pole in It 5 9.26%
We're Not Repeating, Don't Vote for Us 5 9.26%
That Other...OTHER Canadian Team 2 3.70%
Only Palatable with Vodka 3 5.56%
Rock You Like a Hurrica...nevermind 3 5.56%
We Have the *Best* Luck in Away Knockout Games 0 0%
gently caress Chris Wondolowski for Belgium 1 1.85%
Total: 54 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
:siren: Toronto FC are the 2017 MLS Cup winners and have pulled off the first treble in North America :siren:

Seriously, the East looks so much better this year top to bottom it's astounding. It would take a plague hitting everything east of the Mississippi but somehow missing New Jersey to host this year's final.

Anyway....awwwwww poo poo y'all, it's yet another installment of gently caress You Eurosnobs, This Is America and in America We Have Playoffs.

Unlike last year, this year both finalists actually made it to the playoffs. Toronto was apparently a bit miffed over losing the Cup to PKs after a scoreless draw so they decided to hatefuck the rest of the league into a record-shattering season. Let's see if they can do it for a few more weeks. As for Seattle...they matched the rest of the West by looking entirely unimpressive for the most part, but somehow got a #2 seed out of it.

So, same format as the last few years: single game knockout not involving the top two seeds (away goals: off), then re-seeded home-and-away series for the conference semis and finals (away goals: on), then single game Cup final at whoever had the most points (away goals: off).

Participants

Eastern Conference
Toronto FC
New York City FC
Chicago Fire
Atlanta United
Columbus Crew
New York Red Bulls

Western Conference
Portland Timbers
Seattle Sounders
Vancouver Whitecaps
Houston Dynamo
Sporting KC
San Jose Earthquakes

Knockout Round

#5 Columbus Crew at #4 Atlanta United (Oct 26 - 7:00 PM ET - ESPN2, UniMás, TSN 4, TVAS)
Atlanta: 0, Columbus: 0, Crossbar: 5. Columbus advance on PKs 3-1 thanks to Zack Steffen standing on his head.

#6 New York Red Bulls at #3 Chicago Fire (Oct 25 - 8:30 PM ET - FS1, UniMás, TSN 3 & 5, TVAS)
Red Bulls score roughly as many goals as there were fans in attendance in Bridgeview, win 4-0.

#5 Sporting KC at #4 Houston Dynamo (Oct 26 - 9:30 PM ET - UniMás, TSN 4, TVAS)
The worst loving match possibly this entire season finally ended with Houston scoring the lone goal in the first half of ET. I want those 120 minutes back.

#6 San Jose Earthquakes at #3 Vancouver Whitecaps (Oct 25 - 10:30 PM ET - UniMás, TSN 1,3,4 & 5, TVAS 2)
San Jose tried give up more points than the Dodgers tonight, still lost. 5-0 Vancouver.

Conference Semi-Finals and Finals
(Away Goals are used during these phases only)

Semi-Finals

#1 Toronto FC vs. #6 New York Red Bulls
Leg 1 (@NYR, Oct 30, 7PM ET, FS1): Giovinco is pretty good at free kicks y'all. 2-1 Toronto
Leg 2 (@TOR, Nov. 5, 3PM ET, ESPN): A gazillion cards, 2 players sent off at halftime for trying to kill each other in the tunnel and one very fluke goal. 1-0 NYRB
Series ends 2-2, Toronto advances on away goals (2-1)

#2 NYCFC vs. #5 Columbus Crew
Leg 1 (@CLB, Oct 31, 8PM ET, ESPN): This game had a little bit of everything: center ref change, red card, atrocious keeping, players sliding everywhere, very loud swears and clown car goals. 4-1 Crew
Leg 2 (@NYC, Nov. 5, 5PM ET, ESPN): Crew decide to almost gently caress themselves over by not really showing up. 2-0 NYC
Columbus advance 4-3 on aggregate

#1 Portland Timbers vs. #4 Houston Dynamo
Leg 1 (@HOU, Oct 30 9:30PM ET, FS1): Another loving shitshow. We really need to go single leg for this. 0-0
Leg 2 (@POR, Nov. 5, 7:30PM ET, FS1): I missed a good chunk of this, but goals actually happened this time. Just not enough for Portland. 2-1 Houston
Houston advances 2-1 on aggregate

#2 Seattle Sounders vs. #3 Vancouver Whitecaps
Leg 1 (@VAN, Oct. 29, 8:30PM ET, ESPN): 1 loving shot on goal total. Sorry everyone who watched this. 0-0
Leg 2 (@SEA, Nov. 2, 10:30PM ET, FS1): Deuce lives up to his name and drops a brace. Vancouver gets 1 SOG for the entire series. 2-0 Seattle
Seattle advance 2-0 on aggregate

Finals

#1 Toronto FC vs. #5 Columbus Crew
Leg 1 (@CLB, Nov 21, 8PM ET, ESPN): Columbus strategy of "let's not score any goals with Toronto missing Jozy and Seba" seems like it didn't work. 0-0
Leg 2 (@TOR, Nov 29, 7:20PM ET, FS1): A one-armed, one-eyed, one-legged Jozy Altidore finishes a sublime sequence from Toronto for the series' only goal.
Toronto advance 1-0 on aggregate

#2 Seattle Sounders vs. #4 Houston Dynamo
Leg 1 (@HOU, Nov 21, 10PM ET, FS1): Away goals FTMFW! First ever victory in Houston! Two Houston players suspended for leg 2...along with 1 of ours :argh: 2-0 Seattle
Leg 2 (@SEA, Nov 30, 10PM ET, ESPN): ALL THE HOME GOALS!!!!1111 3-0 Seattle
Sounders advance 5-0 on aggregate

MLS Cup (Dec 9, 4PM EST/5PM PST, ESPN/TSN/UniMas/TVA)

Seattle Sounders @ Toronto FC Awwww yeah, a motherfucking rematch

Not a repeat of last year's game...unfortunately. 2-0 Toronto, your MLS Cup champs

MLS Cup Final host will be whichever team is highest on this list:

Toronto FC
NYCFC
Chicago Fire
Atlanta United
Columbus Crew
Portland Timbers
Seattle Sounders
Vancouver Whitecaps
New York Red Bulls
------------------- Teams below this line can't host
Houston Dynamo
Sporting KC
San Jose Earthquakes

So yeah, unless the NYRB win the East, an East team is hosting this one.

Weird poo poo on the field that's not soccer lines

Atlanta - No Falcons games within 2 days of any playoff dates, should be fine.
Houston - Same as Atlanta
Portland - Same as Houston, right down to the FCS team they share the building with being winless this season
NYCFC - The Yankees thankfully did not make the World Series (so 2017 isn't 100% terrible), so NYCFC has all of Yankee Stadium to themselves

Seattle - Seahawks have home games on the 29th (day before leg 1 of semis), 5th (leg 2 of semis) and 20th (day before leg 1 of finals). Leg 2 of the semis, which they host, has been moved up to the 2nd, so wouldn't expect any lines there. If it's SEA-POR for the West finals then they'll be hosting leg 1, so could see lines here, otherwise they'll host leg 2 and have no conflict.
Toronto FC - The CFL playoff schedule doesn't clash, should be safe here.
Vancouver - Since the BC Lions suck, they aren't in the CFL playoffs, so the building is all Whitecaps'.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I want to see a treble.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

all-Rush mixtape posted:

I want to see a treble.

i think we all do

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

That is a DV8 reference only a Portland native could get behind.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Hahahahahahahahahahaahahahahaha FC Dallas hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

FC Dallas til I d--:suicide:

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Azerban posted:

i think we all do

That's probably inevitable, let's be honest.

But I'm still hoping for an MLS final played in non-arctic conditions so go Atlanta

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

GO REVS

GO REVS

G...oh. Um.

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

lol KC gonna lose against Houston
#savethecrew and all that, but I would bet Atlanta gonna win that one pretty easily too

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
At last, the league no longer has to deal with Olsen’s Own

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

I EAT LITTLE CHILDREN FOR BREAKFAST !!11!!1!!!!111!
How the gently caress has the league not yet announced which playoff games are on which day?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

A few of the dates are trickling in. The game the Sounders host will be on the 2nd, so (probably) no football lines.

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

Kilson posted:

How the gently caress has the league not yet announced which playoff games are on which day?

they had to wait and see who was going to host what games and then figure out how to avoid conflicting schedules with NFL, MLB, etc

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
Crew are going to get sacrificed on the altar of MLS 3.0 for Anthony Precourt.

But seriously I have no hope of winning @ Atlanta. #SaveTheCrew anyway.

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

I EAT LITTLE CHILDREN FOR BREAKFAST !!11!!1!!!!111!

TwoStepBoog posted:

they had to wait and see who was going to host what games and then figure out how to avoid conflicting schedules with NFL, MLB, etc

Shouldn't they have done all that ahead of time for the various possibilities?

Plus, there aren't any conflicts with MLB at all, or for the NFL on Wed/Thurs this week.

Kilson fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Oct 23, 2017

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
I love that the Quakes are in despite losing more games than they won and have a -21 goal differential.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Knockout schedule finalized:

NYRB@CHI - Oct 25 - 8:30 PM ET - FS1, UniMás, TSN 3 & 5, TVAS
CLB@ATL - Oct 26 - 7:00 PM ET - ESPN2, UniMás, TSN 4, TVAS
SJE@VAN - Oct 25 - 10:30 PM ET - UniMás, TSN 1,3,4 & 5, TVAS 2
SKC@HOU - Oct 26 - 9:30 PM ET - UniMás, TSN 4, TVAS

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Aggro posted:

I love that the Quakes are in despite losing more games than they won and have a -21 goal differential.

Quakes were hot garbage for a lot of the season, but the game today was outstanding. Maybe... Maybe...

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I am going all in on the Quakes. I put my entire faith in complete chaos. Run the loving (playoff) table.:madmax:

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

porkface posted:

That is a DV8 reference only a Portland native could get behind.

And it takes a Portland native to make that reference...

...says the guy who lives in Vancouver because he likes his <10 minute commute, no income tax and being able to pump his own gas like a goddamn adult

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

They have a bracket builder up where you can win a trip to the 2018 All Star Game :confuoot: I think I'd rather come in 2nd and win free season tickets and a 2k concessions gift card; 200 beers is a hell of a lot more useful.

http://bracket.mlssoccer.com

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

whypick1 posted:

And it takes a Portland native to make that reference...

...says the guy who lives in Vancouver because he likes his <10 minute commute, no income tax and being able to pump his own gas like a goddamn adult

See the downside of that strategy is that you have to live in the drat Couve. Burgerville and sadness.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

TwoStepBoog posted:

lol KC gonna lose against Houston
#savethecrew and all that, but I would bet Atlanta gonna win that one pretty easily too

Our goalkeeper is dead so yeah

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

shirts and skins posted:

See the downside of that strategy is that you have to live in the drat Couve. Burgerville and sadness.

having to drive a bunch to be social is a pain in the rear end, and there's nothing in the Vancouver 'burbs. enjoy pumping your own gas tho.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Vancouver (the bigger, slightly less boring Vancouver) Should Win Tonight but I thought that ten days ago and now look where we are.

Surely Tarbell can't steal ANOTHER game, right?

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Go Fire! :toot:

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Schweinsteiger's not dead apparently, but is on the bench.

edit: That is one sparse-rear end crowd.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Oct 26, 2017

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Stadium is so empty I thought the Red Bulls were at home.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Getting into Toyota Park on time is drat near impossible.

Also, go the Fire

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Get innnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

HOW DO OFFSIDE TRAP WORK :bravo:

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Shrapnig posted:

Stadium is so empty I thought the Red Bulls were at home.

Lol

Also that's some bad goalkeeping, but good chip pass

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Well. gently caress.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Awful defending, awful goalkeeping, great pass

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

:fork:

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Deep dish isn't pizza!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
gently caress yeah Red Bulls!

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Center backs real bad

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Pinwiz11 posted:

Well. gently caress.

Well, fuckity gently caress.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Lol well this started poorly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I would like the referee to not wear yellow for the second half since 2/3 of the Red Bulls kit is yellow.

• Locked thread