Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Duckman2008 posted:

T-Mobile dropped prices when Legere did the carrier war (good) and then slowly raised them back up.

In 2014 when I worked at ATT 2 lines of service with 6GB shared was just about $140-150.

Current plans on I think all 3 are $140-160.

T-Mobile raised their poo poo to match once they got customers over and merged with sprint. I blame more the US being unable to regulate, but whichever way, yeah prices aren’t going down on cell phone plans, they’ve been stuck where they are at for a good bit now, other than that one dip by T-Mobile.

I have to look back into the prepaid stuff. My friend has Visible for $25/month (he had to join a reddit group of 4 for the rate) which I guess is a Verizon MVNO but he claims to use ludicrous amounts of tethered data for years now and they're never throttled him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
They might not throttle but they definitely deprioritize. I had Visible for a few months but data was practically unusable unless it was like the middle of the night. Then again, I live in NYC. If you don't live or regularly go into a big city it's probably ok?

caluki
Nov 12, 2000
For the 5G Unlimited plans, is the mobile hotspot data allowance just for your phone, or would that apply to a standalone hotspot? The 5G Get More plan says "50GB premium mobile hotspot data then unlimited lower speed data". But then I see these separate hotspot plans as well: https://www.verizon.com/plans/devic...c920834#tab-nav

I just moved into a new build house and it may take 3+ weeks to get the internet setup so i'm looking for a solution in the interim. I'm thinking i'll buy something like the MiFi 8800L and hope that it's good enough for remote work purposes. I get good 4G coverage out here, but not 5G. Is there any point in buying the more expensive 5G hotspots?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

caluki posted:

For the 5G Unlimited plans, is the mobile hotspot data allowance just for your phone, or would that apply to a standalone hotspot? The 5G Get More plan says "50GB premium mobile hotspot data then unlimited lower speed data". But then I see these separate hotspot plans as well: https://www.verizon.com/plans/devic...c920834#tab-nav

I just moved into a new build house and it may take 3+ weeks to get the internet setup so i'm looking for a solution in the interim. I'm thinking i'll buy something like the MiFi 8800L and hope that it's good enough for remote work purposes. I get good 4G coverage out here, but not 5G. Is there any point in buying the more expensive 5G hotspots?

So, PM me if you need to order it and I can help order it.

Fyi, the 50GB is phone only. The separate mobile hotspot is like, $40-80 for 50-150GB. $20 off if you have one line on the Do More unlimited plan.

It’s up to you if you are cool with buying the equipment for one months use. But in this case, yeah you don’t need to buy the $400 5G one, the $200 4G 8800 works great. Fyi you can probably find them used on Amazon and then I can activate it as a bring your own device if you want to save money (and just wait xx days for delivery).

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I got an email saying the Verizon Up program is ending. I'll miss my monthly $3 Amazon gift cards :(

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
I'm grouchy that all my "device dollars" apparently will evaporate before I have the chance to use them. I was planning to save them for a year or two, but now all I can buy is half a phone case.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

I got an email saying the Verizon Up program is ending. I'll miss my monthly $3 Amazon gift cards :(

Not even an Amazon card this month.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye
Have you guys had any issues with 'Google is detecting suspicious activity coming from your networks' with your phones? It doesn't occur when I'm on wireless or other networks, only on cellular. I've tried refreshing and resetting my wireless settings without improvement.

I have a stock iPhone 13 Pro Max with latest firmware, no VPN or other esoteric settings present.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Going away, or less options ? I’m off this week, so I guess I’ll find out when I get back.

Amazon gift card is gone this month, but it still gave me a Panera one.

I knew Verizon device dollars were going away, which IMO unless they updated it to apply towards the bill is a good thing. Decent concept, but what happens a LOT is either the customer and/or sales person forgets to use the sales dollars, and then you have a customer rightfully upset that they have $50-$100 in device dollars but just bought 2 new phones and do not need another, etc.

Obviously they shouldn’t just erase them, just phase out. Tbh, I don’t know if it’s a date where they just disappear or not with that.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord

Looks like they're just plain going away to me. :(

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

Looks like they're just plain going away to me. :(

Sure, but don’t you want a completely new experience? It’s designed around YOU !

I hope they keep it similar, the gift card of $3-5 was super simple and made sense (yeah they prob won’t keep it simple).

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Are we going to get device dollars next month? I have $25 right now so if not, I guess I’ll just pick up a case or extra charging cable.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I have no idea tbh.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

If you have the means and ability, I highly recommend getting the Verizon Visa. I set it up to auto pay my bill, and pay off the statement balance every month, so it's effectively no different than regular auto pay.

But it gives a discount on every line and converted device dollars to Verizon dollars, which accumulate with every charge. In this case, it's just my normal bill.

I'm curious about the new rewards and how much worse it will be while they spin it as better.

Can't be any worse than the old points program before Up, though.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

So im trying to get my stuff setup on verizon cloud before i upgrade but it just dumps all my pictures in one pile instead of organized how they are in my phone, is there a setting that I'm missing or some trick? Galaxy s10+ if that makes a difference

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Stravag posted:

So im trying to get my stuff setup on verizon cloud before i upgrade but it just dumps all my pictures in one pile instead of organized how they are in my phone, is there a setting that I'm missing or some trick? Galaxy s10+ if that makes a difference

Not sure, but tbh I would just use Samsung Smart switch to move everything over, it’s super good and fairly reliable.

Also, google photos , although yeah google now charges quicker than they used to.

If you need help ordering a phone, feel free to PM, I’m off today but work the next 3 days.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Ive already got it ordered its just on back order unfortunately but thanks

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Stravag posted:

Ive already got it ordered its just on back order unfortunately but thanks

All good, either way hope it works out and you have any more questions always post here.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

If you have Amazon prime, they give unlimited storage for photos with their photo app.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
If Verizon's lovely bill pay website and its inability to work with Gift Cards easily somehow billed my debit card, do I have any recourse?

It doesn't seem like it but I'm so loving annoyed. I have the funds, but lovely UI led to this. UGH

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Boywhiz88 posted:

If Verizon's lovely bill pay website and its inability to work with Gift Cards easily somehow billed my debit card, do I have any recourse?

It doesn't seem like it but I'm so loving annoyed. I have the funds, but lovely UI led to this. UGH

That sucks, sorry to hear it.

Like, care can file a ticket to have it reversed, but it of course is like a week long process and IMO it would be more worth your time to just apply the gift card to the next bill.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Nooo, I forgot to use my March Verizon Up $3 gift card to… Panera? :shrug:

I didn’t get any more device dollars, and apparently I can’t use them on accessories either. Oh well.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 1, 2022

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I have like $2000 of Verizon gift cards and I keep forgetting to apply them to my family’s bill ugh

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Nvm they managed to get it fixed this time

Stravag fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Apr 5, 2022

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Back when we got IPhone 13s in October, we got all of the offers from Verizon for switching to an unlimited plan. They are all 6 month offers so they are coming up.

I went to cancel AMC Plus today and I am having an issue. When I went to Verizon, it does not show AMC Plus as an option for our add-ons so I cannot cancel it there. When I go to the AMC Plus website/account, it says that my subscription is managed through Verizon and does not give me the option to cancel.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Be logged into your online account, and call care here: (800) 392-0717 .

There are ways for them to cancel it. By default it’s supposed to be the customer opting out online , but if it doesn’t work ask for a supervisor , they have something in their system that can remove it.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

Duckman2008 posted:

Historically, while they have talked about both speed and reliability , I will say the biggest single thing with Verizon that they advertise / take pride in is reliability. As in, even if it is not the fastest, it works and gets a connection.

IMO, def there have and will be issues, etc, but I will say, when poo poo hits the fan , IE natural disasters, etc, Verizon *usually* keeps the best coverage through it.

This 100%. Just because a cellular network can reach gigabit speeds, it doesn't matter if the network only exists in a single city block.

That being said, I finally had to bite the bullet and buy an AT&T sim for the secondary slot in our mobile unit cradlepoint. Now we basically have coverage everywhere but the NRQZ. :P

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012
Just got a verizon card for the cash back on verizon purchases. Can someone verify this also works with the autopay discount?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Keystoned posted:

Just got a verizon card for the cash back on verizon purchases. Can someone verify this also works with the autopay discount?

It def does.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I got an email offering me this, but the guy on the phone is quoting $120/mo which isn't a discount at all. Any ideas how to actually get this?

Edit: just went to the Verizon store and got it handled

Len fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Apr 30, 2022

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!

Len posted:

I got an email offering me this, but the guy on the phone is quoting $120/mo which isn't a discount at all. Any ideas how to actually get this?

Edit: just went to the Verizon store and got it handled

That deal would probably finally get me to switch to an Unlimited plan, because it's right around the same price I'm currently paying for 2 lines on an 8GB Shared plan. Maybe I should pay closer attention to my emails from VZW.

Edit: No hotspot, no go. Looking at the plans, I'd probably be better off with Play More, since we already pay for Hulu and Disney+ anyway. But $140/month is still more than I'd like to pay, even taking out the $13/month for Hulu and $80/yr or whatever Disney gets us for now.

PitViper fucked around with this message at 18:00 on May 1, 2022

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

PitViper posted:

That deal would probably finally get me to switch to an Unlimited plan, because it's right around the same price I'm currently paying for 2 lines on an 8GB Shared plan. Maybe I should pay closer attention to my emails from VZW.

Edit: No hotspot, no go. Looking at the plans, I'd probably be better off with Play More, since we already pay for Hulu and Disney+ anyway. But $140/month is still more than I'd like to pay, even taking out the $13/month for Hulu and $80/yr or whatever Disney gets us for now.

If you get the loyalty discount (it’s account based so it varies) the $140 goes down to $115.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Man, I cannot send any SMS messages. I have two or three bars of LTE but everything is refusing to send. I have restarted the phone but that made it to where it just immediately refuses to send instead of showing the bar across the screen.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!

Duckman2008 posted:

If you get the loyalty discount (it’s account based so it varies) the $140 goes down to $115.

How would I know if I get a loyalty discount? I've been a VZW subscriber for almost 22 years now :haw:

Between the included Hulu/D+ and the discount I'd get on a phone upgrade, that'd make switching plans worth it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

PitViper posted:

How would I know if I get a loyalty discount? I've been a VZW subscriber for almost 22 years now :haw:

Between the included Hulu/D+ and the discount I'd get on a phone upgrade, that'd make switching plans worth it.

Call and ask if there are any loyalty discounts.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I potentially need 4 new lines setup for a business. The issue is I only need to use the phones for about 8 months of the year. Am I better off just going the prepaid route or is there a way to shut the lines off for the 4 months they're not in use on a normal plan?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

wandler20 posted:

I potentially need 4 new lines setup for a business. The issue is I only need to use the phones for about 8 months of the year. Am I better off just going the prepaid route or is there a way to shut the lines off for the 4 months they're not in use on a normal plan?

Yeah, I can’t help with this because I don’t do business plans anymore, but with that time frame I would do a business account.

I last worked with business accounts 14-15ish months ago, but last I checked you can suspend lines up to 3 months at a time, no charge. So even if they don’t give you that 4th month, that would be way more convenient than prepaid and you keep the same numbers the whole time. Plus, bus pricing is probably better than prepaid.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, I can’t help with this because I don’t do business plans anymore, but with that time frame I would do a business account.

I last worked with business accounts 14-15ish months ago, but last I checked you can suspend lines up to 3 months at a time, no charge. So even if they don’t give you that 4th month, that would be way more convenient than prepaid and you keep the same numbers the whole time. Plus, bus pricing is probably better than prepaid.

Cool, thanks. I'll check into that.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

My wife's rather old iphone started to die this week and of course it's at a time when her dad is about to have quadruple bypass surgery.

Figuring it was time anyway, I got her an iPhone 13 Pro via the Verizon Store and paid the (small) amount for next-day delivery, which would have been Thursday evening (5/5). FedEx didn't pick it up until late Thursday morning, and then didn't actually ship it out of Indianapolis until Thursday night. It's been at the local FedEx sorting facility for 6 hours now, had been marked as "by noon", and now is marked as "by end of day", but in reality I don't expect to get it now until tomorrow.

I don't care about the small amount I paid for expedited delivery, but where I can go to bitch about the fact that between whenever it was given to FedEx and then FedEx themselves, they've now late and continuing to gently caress up?

I really loving hate FedEx.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SourKraut posted:

My wife's rather old iphone started to die this week and of course it's at a time when her dad is about to have quadruple bypass surgery.

Figuring it was time anyway, I got her an iPhone 13 Pro via the Verizon Store and paid the (small) amount for next-day delivery, which would have been Thursday evening (5/5). FedEx didn't pick it up until late Thursday morning, and then didn't actually ship it out of Indianapolis until Thursday night. It's been at the local FedEx sorting facility for 6 hours now, had been marked as "by noon", and now is marked as "by end of day", but in reality I don't expect to get it now until tomorrow.

I don't care about the small amount I paid for expedited delivery, but where I can go to bitch about the fact that between whenever it was given to FedEx and then FedEx themselves, they've now late and continuing to gently caress up?

I really loving hate FedEx.

Sorry man, that sucks. I assume you ordered before 4-5ish local time ?

Verizon level 2 care is 800-392-0717 , they should credit you the shipping fee. Maybe you can get the upgrade fee waived ? No guarantees there.