Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Hey dumb question, trading in two phones, they only sent one envelope and prepaid UPS label. Just put both phones in there and send it in, or do they have to go in separately? Each phone arrived in it's own box, but only one had the trade in stuff.

Also, thanks for the help with my phones Duckman!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Alarbus posted:

Hey dumb question, trading in two phones, they only sent one envelope and prepaid UPS label. Just put both phones in there and send it in, or do they have to go in separately? Each phone arrived in it's own box, but only one had the trade in stuff.

Also, thanks for the help with my phones Duckman!

Yeah, it should be fine sending both in me, but keep the receipt in case you need to yell at customer care about any of it.

And not a problem , here to help !

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
I ordered a new envelope to ship my phone over a week ago and it still hasn't arrived. I don't think I have very much time left. Is there any way to ship this thing without the special envelope?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

zimbomonkey posted:

I ordered a new envelope to ship my phone over a week ago and it still hasn't arrived. I don't think I have very much time left. Is there any way to ship this thing without the special envelope?

I would call customer care and see if they can send you a digital label. It’s def best to get an official one just to make tracking easier.

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
We were paying for the Verizon Mobile Protect Multi-Device plan ($50) and on a recent customer service chat about something else, they suggested we switch to Wireless Phone Protection to save like $15/mo.
We've never used any insurance/warranty/etc so I didn't think much of it but looking more closely at it, it looks like it's basically the same but without Verizon Extended Warranty and Mobile Secure?
Is it worth it to just go back and stay on the VMP MD (we have 5 devices)? Mainly for the Extended Warranty... could care less about Mobile Secure.

vv Okay sounds good. Thanks!

hmmxkrazee fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Nov 7, 2022

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

hmmxkrazee posted:

We were paying for the Verizon Mobile Protect Multi-Device plan ($50) and on a recent customer service chat about something else, they suggested we switch to Wireless Phone Protection to save like $15/mo.
We've never used any insurance/warranty/etc so I didn't think much of it but looking more closely at it, it looks like it's basically the same but without Verizon Extended Warranty and Mobile Secure?
Is it worth it to just go back and stay on the VMP MD (we have 5 devices)? Mainly for the Extended Warranty... could care less about Mobile Secure.

Right, the only downside to WPP is no extended warranty. So if it’s over a year and defective, it’s covered but you pay the deductible.

That said, apple does warranty repairs for like, $80 , so like, IMO I would stay with the WPP. Obviously slightly different with android, but Samsung also partners with places for repairs.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Okay, many pages ago I was extolling the virtues of the LTE network extender. It really, really helped with sending images and texts (I still don't know why it won't do it purely over Wi-Fi) but what I've noticed is that it is absolutely dogshit when it comes to call quality.

Sitting right next to the extender, I have full signal, but voice quality is middling at best. Because the signal is so high, I can never get it to default to Wi-Fi calling. If I wander any distance away from the extender, people consistently tell me that my voice is breaking up and distorted. I can't even begin to understand why.

This tickling anyone's memory? Any suggestions?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

null_pointer posted:

Okay, many pages ago I was extolling the virtues of the LTE network extender. It really, really helped with sending images and texts (I still don't know why it won't do it purely over Wi-Fi) but what I've noticed is that it is absolutely dogshit when it comes to call quality.

Sitting right next to the extender, I have full signal, but voice quality is middling at best. Because the signal is so high, I can never get it to default to Wi-Fi calling. If I wander any distance away from the extender, people consistently tell me that my voice is breaking up and distorted. I can't even begin to understand why.

This tickling anyone's memory? Any suggestions?

If you turn on Wi-Fi calling it always defaults to that doesn’t it ? I could be wrong obviously.

I mean, other than call and talk to tech support , I got nothing. Likely just is what it is unfortunately. If you have an iPhone use FaceTime audio when you can.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I'm on an old plan, "Verizon Single Smartphone 5GB". I have a pixel 3 XL and I want to get a pixel 7. Verizon is offering 50% off but I'd have to switch to a more expensive plan for that. Could I buy a pixel 7 from somewhere else and use it with my current plan?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

VostokProgram posted:

I'm on an old plan, "Verizon Single Smartphone 5GB". I have a pixel 3 XL and I want to get a pixel 7. Verizon is offering 50% off but I'd have to switch to a more expensive plan for that. Could I buy a pixel 7 from somewhere else and use it with my current plan?

You can def buy it somewhere else and use it on your current plan.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Duckman2008 posted:

You can def buy it somewhere else and use it on your current plan.

So it turns out you guys added $6 to my old plan, and the new plan gets a $10 autopay discount while the old one gets $5. Almost a wash. :v:

Is the Unlimited plan really unlimited though? There's no cutoff where you use too much and get throttled?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

VostokProgram posted:

So it turns out you guys added $6 to my old plan, and the new plan gets a $10 autopay discount while the old one gets $5. Almost a wash. :v:

Is the Unlimited plan really unlimited though? There's no cutoff where you use too much and get throttled?

A. I did not add it! I don’t get the $6 monthly charge in my bank account lol.

B. PM me, I can call you tomorrow and check for you.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Duckman2008 posted:

A. I did not add it! I don’t get the $6 monthly charge in my bank account lol.

B. PM me, I can call you tomorrow and check for you.

I meant Verizon, not you personally lmao

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

VostokProgram posted:

I meant Verizon, not you personally lmao

Lol oh I know. It’s something I like to say to customers on the phone.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
Any ideas on why my phone can't receive texts? There was a lag on Saturday but Sunday into today, I'm not getting any (I'm testing it with other phones and yes the bill is paid).

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

DUECES VERIZON.
8 good years, followed by 2 years descending in quality until I cried uncle.

Tech and customer support was non existent for my issues. Not great for the near $300 I was paying a month for 3 lines.

Peace out, verizon thread

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Any ideas on why my phone can't receive texts? There was a lag on Saturday but Sunday into today, I'm not getting any (I'm testing it with other phones and yes the bill is paid).

No idea. Are other Verizon phones in your area working?

I would call care and ask to be transferred to tech support: (800) 392-0717 option 0

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
Thanks, tech support did something on the back end and I suddenly got 100 texts.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
Couple of questions. I currently have the 5G Start plan with 2 smartphones, 2 gizmo watch 2's, and a galaxy watch 4. I'm looking to get one of my kids a smart phone and ditch one of the gizmo watches (its paid off) Would I be better off starting a new line then canceling a line to get a discount on a phone? We're not at all attached to the phone number on the Gizmo watches. Also if I were to do the plan that includes Disney+, Hulu, ESPN what does it cost me per month over where I'm at now? Does it make sense if I pay for the Disney+ bundle currently?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

jassi007 posted:

Couple of questions. I currently have the 5G Start plan with 2 smartphones, 2 gizmo watch 2's, and a galaxy watch 4. I'm looking to get one of my kids a smart phone and ditch one of the gizmo watches (its paid off) Would I be better off starting a new line then canceling a line to get a discount on a phone? We're not at all attached to the phone number on the Gizmo watches. Also if I were to do the plan that includes Disney+, Hulu, ESPN what does it cost me per month over where I'm at now? Does it make sense if I pay for the Disney+ bundle currently?

Few things

-def add and cancel gizmo. You’ll get a discount that way.

-iPhone or Samsung ?

-to get Disney + bundle one of your current 2 lines just goes up by $10 (not both). It’ll include Disney +, Hulu and ESPN plus . Minimum that’s a $15 value , so worth it.

PM me and I can call you and help order, make sure it’s setup right.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
I just got married in October and my wife and I combined our account into my account. She just got her final bill, which is -$210. That's about 3x her monthly bill. It makes sense that she got refunded the postpaid amount for the month, but I dunno what's going on with the other stuff. Any ideas? It's not urgent, just confusing.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Don't question, just take the money and run

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Don't question, just take the money and run

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
No money yet, it was just an invoice, but if we get a check, yeah.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
So when can we start pestering you about Samsung Galaxy S23s ? Is there usually any sort of deal/trade-in thing on new phones ? Current phone is a paid for S20 Ultra 5G.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Duckman2008 posted:

Few things

-def add and cancel gizmo. You’ll get a discount that way.

-iPhone or Samsung ?

-to get Disney + bundle one of your current 2 lines just goes up by $10 (not both). It’ll include Disney +, Hulu and ESPN plus . Minimum that’s a $15 value , so worth it.

PM me and I can call you and help order, make sure it’s setup right.

Got my new phone today, thank you for your help! My kid is going to be so happy (until he hears all the rules and realizes this bitch is locked down lol)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MREBoy posted:

So when can we start pestering you about Samsung Galaxy S23s ? Is there usually any sort of deal/trade-in thing on new phones ? Current phone is a paid for S20 Ultra 5G.

The galaxy series has come out in late February to mid March for years now, so likely then. They usually have a pretty good pre order promo.

There is a possibility at some point that (shudder) try and move up / get promoted. Either way I’ll still be able to help our fellow goons here, if I move up I just won’t be able to call and order for people anymore.

jassi007 posted:

Got my new phone today, thank you for your help! My kid is going to be so happy (until he hears all the rules and realizes this bitch is locked down lol)

Hell yeah. And hey , a locked down phone is still better than no phone !

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
This doesn't sound like VZW is going to try and weasel out of free Disney+ on even "permanent" plans that featured it, no siree...

You are currently subscribed to the Disney Bundle. Beginning January 11, 2023, the Disney Bundle (Disney+ (No Ads), Hulu (With Ads), ESPN+ (With Ads)) will increase from $13.99 per month to $14.99 per month.

For as long as you remain on an eligible Verizon plan, you will not be charged the new rate until the end of your promotional period or your next billing date on or after January 11th, whichever is later.

Anyone want to take bets on whether everyone getting Disney+ for "free" gets a surprise $14.99 tacked onto their February bill?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BIG HEADLINE posted:

This doesn't sound like VZW is going to try and weasel out of free Disney+ on even "permanent" plans that featured it, no siree...

You are currently subscribed to the Disney Bundle. Beginning January 11, 2023, the Disney Bundle (Disney+ (No Ads), Hulu (With Ads), ESPN+ (With Ads)) will increase from $13.99 per month to $14.99 per month.

For as long as you remain on an eligible Verizon plan, you will not be charged the new rate until the end of your promotional period or your next billing date on or after January 11th, whichever is later.

Anyone want to take bets on whether everyone getting Disney+ for "free" gets a surprise $14.99 tacked onto their February bill?

I think now it’s legit just legalese. The promotion for the plans that include it at the moment have no expiration, and it would cause a poo poo storm if they changed that. Like, yes Verizon does stupid decisions, but they’re already really hurting on both retention and adds, so I don’t think they would risk it right now.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

they’re already really hurting on both retention and adds, so I don’t think they would risk it right now.

Interesting. Is this downturn effecting most major carriers, or is one growing at the expense of others (and if so, who, and why?)

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Oh right, the plan change duckman helped me with also came with free Disney+. How do I actually use that?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

VostokProgram posted:

Oh right, the plan change duckman helped me with also came with free Disney+. How do I actually use that?

I went into the VZW app and found the registration info under my Add-ons menu.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

null_pointer posted:

Interesting. Is this downturn effecting most major carriers, or is one growing at the expense of others (and if so, who, and why?)

Stock has dropped 30% since start of the year. And yes, stock market is dumb, but obviously it has the company freaking out. And it isn’t just people randomly selling ir, last 2 quarters have been basically either no net add of customers , or a negative add.

There’s been an unsaid price war in cell phones for the last 1.5 years , and Verizon in particular is getting squeezed (by ATT and Tmo), they actually have at times price matched , but not consistently , and IMO they have not been good at messaging to customers (new and existing) for the past year or so.

In general, right now carriers still only give the best promos to switchers, so when you’re the biggest carrier, well, you have the most to lose.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Market saturation is hell for publicly held companies. Stockholders are fickle bastards and require growth at all costs. Say Verizon hits 100% market share in the US, stockholders will still require them to increase profits year over year, or they bail.

It's the worst kind of gambling.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Unironically, capitalism was a mistake.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I mean absolutely agreed, Verizon stock ha plummeted because they “only” made a net profit of $4.1 billion versus their normal $4.5 billion.

Again. Net profit.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
My bill has been going up and up and their service has been sucking and also phone support sucks. Off to T-Mobile to see how much or less better it is.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Economic Adjustment Charge :yum:

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Hed posted:

Economic Adjustment Charge :yum:

You joke but I save 10% through my company but am adjusted +15% for Plan Rate Adjustment with the dumb note "Due to rising operational costs, the rate for your current shared monthly plan is subject to a Plan Rate Adjustment increase."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

schreibs posted:

You joke but I save 10% through my company but am adjusted +15% for Plan Rate Adjustment with the dumb note "Due to rising operational costs, the rate for your current shared monthly plan is subject to a Plan Rate Adjustment increase."

It’s really , really dumb and probably was not worth it for the number of customers / bad publicity it affected. Even if they were “cheap plan customers” or whatever (not a Verizon term, just how I can describe it).