Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

kitten smoothie posted:

Is there a VoLTE flip phone that's better than any other? As much as I'd like to get my elderly mother in law a smartphone I think that would be an absolutely terrible idea for all parties involved.

Kyocera Cadence is really the only option unless you want a rugged one.

Here’s the thing, just as a warning, all the LTE flip phones run a bare bones version of android (no google software or play store). So the menus are somewhat configured for a flip phone, but honestly, not great. So I can navigate them fine, but a lot of my customers in the flip phone demographic have a lot of trouble with it.

Given that you basically can’t activate CDMA only phones anymore, it’s still your best option. For flip open, dialing and hitting call, it’s fine, and if you assign speed dials that also helps. Text messaging can be messy, especially if they want to delete texts, it’s really convoluted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Duckman2008 posted:

BOGO requires an extra line of service for 24 months, so I would say yes.

BOGO requires just one extra line, so if you were gonna get like your girlfriend or mom to be on your plan, you could just sell the free phone.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

jokes posted:

BOGO requires just one extra line, so if you were gonna get like your girlfriend or mom to be on your plan, you could just sell the free phone.

Right, but you still need a phone to give them.

I did a BOGO to get my mom a smartphone. I’m just saying, if you do a BOGO for your mom, give her the nice iPhone you got for “free.”

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Duckman2008 posted:

Right, but you still need a phone to give them.

I did a BOGO to get my mom a smartphone. I’m just saying, if you do a BOGO for your mom, give her the nice iPhone you got for “free.”

Yeah, it's really more their perk to gently caress with.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Duckman2008 posted:

BOGO requires an extra line of service for 24 months, so I would say yes.

Thanks for the quick answer. I was on mobile and couldn't really check out the deal while I was on the go.

I think VZW had a deal a couple months ago with a discounted Pixel 2. I should have pulled the trigger back then.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Doctor Butts posted:

Thanks for the quick answer. I was on mobile and couldn't really check out the deal while I was on the go.

I think VZW had a deal a couple months ago with a discounted Pixel 2. I should have pulled the trigger back then.

They did, but it’ll come back. If you can hang out, they’ll likely discount the Pixel 2 again.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Duckman2008 posted:

Kyocera Cadence is really the only option unless you want a rugged one.

Here’s the thing, just as a warning, all the LTE flip phones run a bare bones version of android (no google software or play store). So the menus are somewhat configured for a flip phone, but honestly, not great. So I can navigate them fine, but a lot of my customers in the flip phone demographic have a lot of trouble with it.

Given that you basically can’t activate CDMA only phones anymore, it’s still your best option. For flip open, dialing and hitting call, it’s fine, and if you assign speed dials that also helps. Text messaging can be messy, especially if they want to delete texts, it’s really convoluted.

Thanks. At some level I realize that buying a flip phone in 2018 is about picking the least bad option possible, since at this point the US market for them is pretty much down to "people who work in secure government installations and can't have a camera" and "people over 75."

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!
My wife and I got new phones around Black Friday and got a discount which is, of course, applied as a bill credit every month for 24 months. It's not a problem for my wife, but I get the itch to upgrade every year and the Note 9 and new iPhones are just around the corner.

I'm assuming there's no way to get that discount applied to the amount I have left to pay it off, is there? Or could I sell the phone as long as I keep paying on it? (Guessing probably not and I'm not sure if the credits would stop once the phone comes off the account anyway.)

I think I'm going to actively avoid the monthly credit discount next time around.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

What you should do is get a new phone and keep making the payments but sell the phone. Usually the discounts are substantial enough that you can sell it for more than you paid for it. I got a Pixel on Black Friday ~2 years ago for $10/mo and sold it for $400, so technically I got $160 back on that deal and used it for ~a year. I still make the monthly payments but use an iPhone.

Those discounts are bad if you want to replace it with a phone that goes on a device payment plan.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

jokes posted:

What you should do is get a new phone and keep making the payments but sell the phone. Usually the discounts are substantial enough that you can sell it for more than you paid for it. I got a Pixel on Black Friday ~2 years ago for $10/mo and sold it for $400, so technically I got $160 back on that deal and used it for ~a year. I still make the monthly payments but use an iPhone.

Those discounts are bad if you want to replace it with a phone that goes on a device payment plan.
If I can sell the phone but keep making monthly payments I might just do that and pick up a used iPhone 6S Plus for now. Plus I'd get a better return on the phone versus selling it next year anyway. I just wasn't sure if that would cause any kind of issues with the device payments or the discount.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

datajosh posted:

If I can sell the phone but keep making monthly payments I might just do that and pick up a used iPhone 6S Plus for now. Plus I'd get a better return on the phone versus selling it next year anyway. I just wasn't sure if that would cause any kind of issues with the device payments or the discount.

It’s your phone, so if you want to sell it, but keep the payment plan for the promo for that remaining time , that should be fine. The only way you “lose your discount,” is by paying off the phone early. So essentially, you can’t have another phone payment plan until that current promo runs its course.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Hey Duckman -

Hoping you can help. I've been a Verizon customer for almost forever, getting inundated with calls from a Restricted number. Like 2x an hour 24x7.

I've spoken to two phone reps and one store rep and basically my options are $4.99/mo for the Smart Family app, block all inbound calls, or change my number for $99.

All 3 options are bullshit. I'm about to bail unless you can help me escalate.

Mucho thanks in advance

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Phone Rep #3 says I need to file a police report. How do I file a police report when there's no phone number?

Also, when asked if my issue is resolved at the end of the call - is laughable. Then telling me "sorry" in response to my answer is insulting.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Goober Peas posted:

change my number for $99.

That's certainly inconsistent with their own FAQ, see item #3.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Goober Peas posted:

Hey Duckman -

Hoping you can help. I've been a Verizon customer for almost forever, getting inundated with calls from a Restricted number. Like 2x an hour 24x7.

I've spoken to two phone reps and one store rep and basically my options are $4.99/mo for the Smart Family app, block all inbound calls, or change my number for $99.

All 3 options are bullshit. I'm about to bail unless you can help me escalate.

Mucho thanks in advance

Yeah that’s hard, Verizon’s only option is $5 a month.

Did you try downloading a 3rd party app? Mr Number seems ok, that’s what I use for spam, although it’s def not perfect.

Not sure where you got change your number for $99, it’s $15 to change a number.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Duckman2008 posted:

That FAQ says it's free if you do it online, do they charge $15 if a human helps you do it?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah that’s hard, Verizon’s only option is $5 a month.

Did you try downloading a 3rd party app? Mr Number seems ok, that’s what I use for spam, although it’s def not perfect.

Let me try Mr Number - so far I've tried Hiya (it crashes when I get a call) and Should I Answer? (didn't block the call).

The only thing I can come up with on the quoted $99 was she was going to activate another line on the account :shrug:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

kitten smoothie posted:

That FAQ says it's free if you do it online, do they charge $15 if a human helps you do it?

Correct, if I change the number it’s $15. I don’t see that $15, so I tell people to change online.

Goober Peas posted:

Let me try Mr Number - so far I've tried Hiya (it crashes when I get a call) and Should I Answer? (didn't block the call).

The only thing I can come up with on the quoted $99 was she was going to activate another line on the account :shrug:

Yeah, main thing is Mr Number def doesn’t catch all calls, but I think it helps.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

So my wife dropped her phone today and cracked the screen but we can't afford to pay the deductible right away for a replacement. If I put her SIM in my phone and let her use it until then, is that going to gently caress anything up? (If it matters, it's Total Equipment Coverage on the line rather than TMP.)

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

For what it's worth I've only had 4 spam calls so far today vs the 37 I had yesterday. So maybe somebody did something? :shrug:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

datajosh posted:

So my wife dropped her phone today and cracked the screen but we can't afford to pay the deductible right away for a replacement. If I put her SIM in my phone and let her use it until then, is that going to gently caress anything up? (If it matters, it's Total Equipment Coverage on the line rather than TMP.)

I would just make her claim within 30 days of screen cracking. After that it could gently caress up which phone is registered.

TEC vs TMP doesn’t matter.

Goober Peas posted:

For what it's worth I've only had 4 spam calls so far today vs the 37 I had yesterday. So maybe somebody did something? :shrug:

Fingers crossed !

mem
Sep 1, 2005
I'm pissed off at at&t and thinking of switching to Verizon. I've gathered I need to go through verizon to port numbers over before cancelling service with at&t, but have some questions.

I currently pay $240/mo for 4 lines unlimited, throttles after 22gb and apparently my hotspot throttles to 128kbps after 10gb which is why I'm pissed. 128kbps makes even web-browsing drat near unusable. We also pay $90/mo for DirecTV which we don't use, we did this to save money over what we were paying for phone service, we put the dish at my wife's parents house.

I travel during the week (truck driver) and like to use my phones hotspot to watch video on my tablet. I use between 20 and 30 GB a month doing this, my wife uses about the same. My sons both use 50+ GB a month, mostly on their phones not hotspot.

1. Does verizon have an unlimited plan that would work for this? Looks like above unlimited is probably the one I want.

2. Do I have to go to at&t to get our phones unlocked or will verizon do that or ? I have an s7 active which I believe was att exclusive so I might have to get a new phone.

3. I've never switched carriers, can I get some kind of deal for doing so? None of us are on contract with at&t anymore, so don't have ETFs to be refunded or anything.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mem posted:

I'm pissed off at at&t and thinking of switching to Verizon. I've gathered I need to go through verizon to port numbers over before cancelling service with at&t, but have some questions.

I currently pay $240/mo for 4 lines unlimited, throttles after 22gb and apparently my hotspot throttles to 128kbps after 10gb which is why I'm pissed. 128kbps makes even web-browsing drat near unusable. We also pay $90/mo for DirecTV which we don't use, we did this to save money over what we were paying for phone service, we put the dish at my wife's parents house.

I travel during the week (truck driver) and like to use my phones hotspot to watch video on my tablet. I use between 20 and 30 GB a month doing this, my wife uses about the same. My sons both use 50+ GB a month, mostly on their phones not hotspot.

1. Does verizon have an unlimited plan that would work for this? Looks like above unlimited is probably the one I want.

2. Do I have to go to at&t to get our phones unlocked or will verizon do that or ? I have an s7 active which I believe was att exclusive so I might have to get a new phone.

3. I've never switched carriers, can I get some kind of deal for doing so? None of us are on contract with at&t anymore, so don't have ETFs to be refunded or anything.

Question up front: is this your business or someone else’s ? There are bus plan options that could help, you need a tax ID though.

Alternatively, were you ever in military? There are big discounts for military.

1. Verizon is similar with the Hotspot. I mean, I think the answer to your question is that unfortunately, all 4 carriers put limits on mobile hotspot. With Above unlimited it is 20Gb, $30-35 for an extra 4GB after that.

You are probably better off upgrading your tablet to a tablet that can be activated on the network, that is actual unlimited 4G, it can slow down on an overloaded tower, but it won’t go to 3G speeds after 20GB.

You could also have a separate mobile hotspot for $20 a month, which would mean 20GB for phone tethering, 20Gb for the mobile hotspot.

For other questions:

-ATT has to unlock your phones. att.com/deviceunlock

Have you checked to see if your phones are compatible with Verizon? An ATT iPhone 7 won’t work for example, but an iPhone 6S or 8 can. If you aren’t sure, list the model numbers and I’ll tell you. A Galaxy S7 Active won’t work on Verizon.

-promos:
-bring your own phone: $150 gift card per line
-trade in phone: $300 trade in for certain phones towards payment plan of new phone. Example, if you have an iPhone 6, you would get $300 towards the iPhone 8, 8+ or X. Android phones like the S9 and Pixel 2 also quality.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Duckman2008 posted:

Have you checked to see if your phones are compatible with Verizon? An ATT iPhone 7 won’t work for example, but an iPhone 6S or 8 can.
Is that new? I switched from AT&T to VZW and Apple had to replace my iPhone 8 and 8+ at the time.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

benisntfunny posted:

Is that new? I switched from AT&T to VZW and Apple had to replace my iPhone 8 and 8+ at the time.

It’s new. The 8 and 8+ used to not work , but now Verizon can provision them for LTE only. So they won’t work on 3G like the Verizon 8 and 8+, But can work for fall, text and data over 4G. Not sure when they rolled it out, I only noticed it a week ago.

mem
Sep 1, 2005
Thanks for the quick response. I'm a company driver, so not my business.

Might be out of luck switching, two of us are using s7 actives, one pixel 2, and one iPhone SE. Not really wanting to drop thousands of dollars on new phones right now.

Out of curiosity, you said its $20 for the mobile hotspot, what do tablet plans look like if I get one on the network? Similar price to the mobile hotspot?

Guess I need to find someone at at&t I can strangle. If they get me too worked up I'll probably buy some new phones and switch anyway.

Thanks again.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The iPhone and Pixel will both work on Verizon, but I would be very surprised if the S7's would.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Duckman2008 posted:

It’s new. The 8 and 8+ used to not work , but now Verizon can provision them for LTE only. So they won’t work on 3G like the Verizon 8 and 8+, But can work for fall, text and data over 4G. Not sure when they rolled it out, I only noticed it a week ago.

Well glad it wasn't that way when I switched. I was/am on the Apple Upgrade plan. To remedy the situation they just returned my phones (3 months old) and gave ALL my money back (not sure why but it was cool) and then let me repurchase new phones so I picked up a X and another 8.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

mem posted:

Thanks for the quick response. I'm a company driver, so not my business.

Might be out of luck switching, two of us are using s7 actives, one pixel 2, and one iPhone SE. Not really wanting to drop thousands of dollars on new phones right now.

Out of curiosity, you said its $20 for the mobile hotspot, what do tablet plans look like if I get one on the network? Similar price to the mobile hotspot?

Guess I need to find someone at at&t I can strangle. If they get me too worked up I'll probably buy some new phones and switch anyway.

Thanks again.

ATT has an unlimited LTE tablet plan for $30. A lot of truckers actually get it and then put the sim in like a Netgear Nighthawk M1.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

The iPhone and Pixel will both work on Verizon, but I would be very surprised if the S7's would.

Yeah S7s won’t.

benisntfunny posted:

Well glad it wasn't that way when I switched. I was/am on the Apple Upgrade plan. To remedy the situation they just returned my phones (3 months old) and gave ALL my money back (not sure why but it was cool) and then let me repurchase new phones so I picked up a X and another 8.

Yeah, I always wondered how Apple handled compatibility issues like this. Glad it worked out that way for you.

Sub Rosa posted:

ATT has an unlimited LTE tablet plan for $30. A lot of truckers actually get it and then put the sim in like a Netgear Nighthawk M1.

This is a good idea. Just always be cautious that the carriers systems can catch the IMEI change and change the plan to a hotspot plan that gets throttled. Not sure how ATT is on that currently.

mem
Sep 1, 2005
Thanks for the advice fellas. I'll either get a new tablet and put a plan on it or grab a Mobley for the truck. Sorry to get all att in this thread, I was really ready to switch when I saw the 2g speeds. I can understand throttling I guess but that seems a bit ridiculous.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
So Verizon is supposed to phase out CDMA by 2020.

Does that mean any unlocked phone will work on its network?

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Aug 13, 2018

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

OhFunny posted:

So Verizon is supposed to phase out CDMA by 2020.

Does that mean any unlocked phone when work on its network?

Not sure about any phone, at least officially. But there are already phones that in the past wouldn’t work that Verizon is now allowing to be activated as LTE only.

There def are people who get non Verizon authorized phones and swap a SIM in. They don’t come in complaining, I just know because occasionally I’ll have an account where the system can’t tell what the phone is. It seems fine on the user end, but holy hell it makes the system go berserk on my end (essentially whatever line I work with, the non Verizon line kicks everything back because “phone not compatible).”

I assume they’ll fix it. Verizon is the type of company that probably wants to still certify any phone, so it’s possible that some phones will work but Verizon just won’t certify it. A good example is Huawei, I’m willing to bet all the US companies are probably trying to stay away from Huawei, ZTE, etc because of all the issues with Chinese phone makers.

Now, you could point out that Verizon just launched a new Motorola phone, which is owned by Chinese based Lenovo, but hell if I know.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Ugh-looks like I’m coming back to Verizon after a long time away. I had them for years before switching to a family plan with AT&T.

I had ATT and their unlimited grandfathered plan, got sick of paying that so I went to t mobiles unlimited military plan a new months ago.

Guess what? Their service sucks and random times during conversations my call will temporarily cut out.

So Verizon has their military discount, so I think I’ll go with them.

My wife and I both use iPhones, but would obviously like to upgrade when the new phones come out (we both have the 6s). She has a work phone and work line but is quitting her job so I’ll be transferring one line (mine) and signing up for another (hers).

Do you think there’s ANY incentives for joining that might come out (BOGO, etc?).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

nwin posted:

Ugh-looks like I’m coming back to Verizon after a long time away. I had them for years before switching to a family plan with AT&T.

I had ATT and their unlimited grandfathered plan, got sick of paying that so I went to t mobiles unlimited military plan a new months ago.

Guess what? Their service sucks and random times during conversations my call will temporarily cut out.

So Verizon has their military discount, so I think I’ll go with them.

My wife and I both use iPhones, but would obviously like to upgrade when the new phones come out (we both have the 6s). She has a work phone and work line but is quitting her job so I’ll be transferring one line (mine) and signing up for another (hers).

Do you think there’s ANY incentives for joining that might come out (BOGO, etc?).

Hard to say. They are offering a trade in of $300 on old iPhones towards a 8, 8+ or X, but that won’t let you upgrade in a month. They’ll offer $150 per line ported (not new #) to bring your own device over, but the only catch is you have to wait 6 months to get a new phone. And sounds Ike her phone will be a new #, so you would only get $150.

What’s the time frame? If you can wait, I would hold out and see what the promos are for the new phone. Last years promos for the 8 were decent, nothing ground breaking, but I would think they will at the least offer a trade in on old phones, so you can get $xxx towards the new phones. Best case is the role out a BOGO, which you usually need a new line for so you would qualify.

Feel free to PM any questions, and if you want a referral code let me know and I can send you my referral code too.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Duckman2008 posted:

Hard to say. They are offering a trade in of $300 on old iPhones towards a 8, 8+ or X, but that won’t let you upgrade in a month. They’ll offer $150 per line ported (not new #) to bring your own device over, but the only catch is you have to wait 6 months to get a new phone. And sounds Ike her phone will be a new #, so you would only get $150.

What’s the time frame? If you can wait, I would hold out and see what the promos are for the new phone. Last years promos for the 8 were decent, nothing ground breaking, but I would think they will at the least offer a trade in on old phones, so you can get $xxx towards the new phones. Best case is the role out a BOGO, which you usually need a new line for so you would qualify.

Feel free to PM any questions, and if you want a referral code let me know and I can send you my referral code too.

She won’t be leaving her job until February, so we would be looking to change to Verizon around december/january probably. I was hoping to get away from t mobile ASAP just because of the lovely service, but I don’t really use my phone for calls that much so I could probably wait until then.

Thanks for the info and I’ll be staying tuned to this thread to see if anything changes in the future.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Man, I just switched to VZW from Project Fi for the Note 9, and the rep had said I'd get a $300 credit for trading in my PixelXL since I was opening a new account with VZW.

Except it turned out that was only available for the S9+, and not the Hot New poo poo Note 9? Is that legit or did I get bamboozled?

Also, and this might not be your bailiwick but I figured I'd ask, its been like 3-4 years since I've gotten a phone "from" a carrier, do i still need to root poo poo on Android, or are phones unlocked/rooted by default these days?

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I don't know about the trade in but I don't think there's a phone out there that comes rooted or unlocked. The Note 9 can't be unlocked and I would just assume it won't be rooted either. There was an exploit to root the Note 8 that worked until Oreo came out but it also did stupid poo poo like keep the battery from charging past 80%.

Personally, I don't see much benefit in rooting now and I feel like it breaks more things than it would fix for me.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Yes Verizon phones are unlocked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Annath posted:

Man, I just switched to VZW from Project Fi for the Note 9, and the rep had said I'd get a $300 credit for trading in my PixelXL since I was opening a new account with VZW.

Except it turned out that was only available for the S9+, and not the Hot New poo poo Note 9? Is that legit or did I get bamboozled?

Also, and this might not be your bailiwick but I figured I'd ask, its been like 3-4 years since I've gotten a phone "from" a carrier, do i still need to root poo poo on Android, or are phones unlocked/rooted by default these days?

The $300 goes towards the Galaxy 9, 9+, Pixel 2 / 2 XL, and believe it or not the Note 8. He Note 9 doesn’t get that promo, I assume because they’re offering a BOGO on the Note 9.

I think rooting is a waste of time at this point, not sure on it otherwise.

As others stated already, all Verizon phones are carrier unlocked to any carrier.

Random thing: not sure if I posted this or not, but Verizon is def moving towards sun setting 2G. Any phone that doesn’t do HD Voice (VOLTE) cannot be reactivated on a postpaid account. So like, Galaxy S4 or lower, or iPhone 4 and 4S.

If currently active, they work business as usual. Still another year to year and a half until it gets to “you have xx time to get new phone before your old phone gets shut off.”