Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

DrDork posted:

So it looks like Verizon might let you get a free P5 over 24 months if you're upgrading (no new line). Right now I have a cart showing:

-$300 "device promotional credit" ($12.50/mo)
-$400 "Device trade-in" ($16.66/mo)

Duckman, does this sound legit, or is Verizon going to overwrite the $12.50/mo credit with the $16.66/mo credit once I send my phone in for trade-in, and I effectively only end up with the $400 off?

I'm almost certain they stack. They were doing $350 off over the weekend along with $400 trade, but I don't have a good backup phone and decided to keep my Pixel 3.

I also haven't seen a 5g indicator yet (I'm in Dallas), but I've not gotten out much with it so far. Amazon botched my case delivery, so that didn't help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

DrDork posted:

So it looks like Verizon might let you get a free P5 over 24 months if you're upgrading (no new line). Right now I have a cart showing:

-$300 "device promotional credit" ($12.50/mo)
-$400 "Device trade-in" ($16.66/mo)

Duckman, does this sound legit, or is Verizon going to overwrite the $12.50/mo credit with the $16.66/mo credit once I send my phone in for trade-in, and I effectively only end up with the $400 off?

One of those is an account promo I think, but yeah, if they’re both in the cart they should stack. Take a screenshot as well.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Bandire posted:

I'm almost certain they stack. They were doing $350 off over the weekend along with $400 trade, but I don't have a good backup phone and decided to keep my Pixel 3.

I also haven't seen a 5g indicator yet (I'm in Dallas), but I've not gotten out much with it so far. Amazon botched my case delivery, so that didn't help.

The $350 I could never actually get into my cart properly, and eventually seemed to have gotten changed to a new-line promo. I'm hoping you're right. Worst case, it's not any less of a deal than they've been running, and I figure they aren't likely to get much better in the near future, either.

Duckman2008 posted:

One of those is an account promo I think, but yeah, if they’re both in the cart they should stack. Take a screenshot as well.

Good suggestion.

e; yeah, at final checkout I got a single banner saying "You're getting $300 in monthly credits and $400 in monthly credits over 24 months" so it looks stackable. With the $150 in Device Dollars I'm literally being paid to upgrade, which ain't bad at all.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Nov 27, 2020

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Got my phones in yay. I haven't r Ed ceived a trade in box yet though, does that usually come later?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Empress Brosephine posted:

Got my phones in yay. I haven't r Ed ceived a trade in box yet though, does that usually come later?

Yeah, I just got my boxes today.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

DrDork posted:

The $350 I could never actually get into my cart properly, and eventually seemed to have gotten changed to a new-line promo. I'm hoping you're right. Worst case, it's not any less of a deal than they've been running, and I figure they aren't likely to get much better in the near future, either.

The $350 deal worked for me on my existing line, but it was definitely erratic at the time.

CapMoron
Nov 20, 2000
Forum Veteran
I just swapped my 4g sim card from my Pixel 2 to my new Pixel 5. What's the most direct route to me getting a 5g sim card mailed to me? When I go through the BYOD FAQ and choose the order online option, it brings me to the store, asks me which device (mine or my wife's), I choose my device and it just spits me to the store saying I have nothing in my cart.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I had good luck using the web chat to just ask for a sim, only took a few minutes to have a new one in the mail with no charges.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Verizon support is pretty good so far, I'm surprised. Got my phones in but for some reason my line can't receive texts from like capital one, walmart etc. They're looking into it though which is good I guess!

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
Yeah, I couldn't get the web store to work so I had to do web chat.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CapMoron posted:

I just swapped my 4g sim card from my Pixel 2 to my new Pixel 5. What's the most direct route to me getting a 5g sim card mailed to me? When I go through the BYOD FAQ and choose the order online option, it brings me to the store, asks me which device (mine or my wife's), I choose my device and it just spits me to the store saying I have nothing in my cart.

It’s a pretty quick swap in store if your store is open for stuff like that , which varies wildly due to Covid. Honestly, chat or care should be able to ship you one worst case.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Something that might help someone moving from a 3-4G to a 5G phone on Verizon's network: Make sure Advanced Calling/VoLTE is enabled on your account before you make the switch over. Going from my PXL to a Pixel 5 took three techs to unfuck. The #832 check kept failing until Advanced Calling/VoLTE was re-enabled by a Level 2 tech. I'd disabled VoLTE on my PXL because I've many small 4G dead zones on roads around my area where I'd invariably lose a call if it wasn't on 3G.

It was a good two hours and change for them to figure it out.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Dec 8, 2020

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Something that might help someone moving from a 3-4G to a 5G phone on Verizon's network: Make sure Advanced Calling/VoLTE is enabled on your account before you make the switch over. Going from my PXL to a Pixel 5 took three techs to unfuck. The #832 check kept failing until Advanced Calling/VoLTE was re-enabled by a Level 2 tech. I'd disabled VoLTE on my PXL because I've many small 4G dead zones on roads around my area where I'd invariably lose a call if it wasn't on 3G.

It was a good two hours and change for them to figure it out.

Oh yeah, that would def be an issue. You might as well change it now anyway, the 3G network in those areas turn off Jan 1st.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

Oh yeah, that would def be an issue. You might as well change it now anyway, the 3G network in those areas turn off Jan 1st.

Yeah, also, are there ever any sales for the Kyocera DuraXV Extreme (with camera), or is it such a low volume item that there's no chance? My father - despite my trying to show him how to use his PH-1 multiple times - seems chronically incapable of being able to operate anything more than a loving flip phone, and it seems like the DuraXV has the best reviews and 4G connectivity.

I wouldn't mind buying it online and making sure you got the commission.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Dec 8, 2020

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, also, are there ever any sales for the Kyocera DuraXV Extreme (with camera), or is it such a low volume item that there's no chance? My father - despite my trying to show him how to use his PH-1 multiple times - seems chronically incapable of being able to operate anything more than a loving flip phone, and it seems like the DuraXV has the best reviews and 4G connectivity.

I wouldn't mind buying it online and making sure you got the commission.

The only time I see a discount on a flip phone is if someone has a 3G flip phone, and it’s never the Dura XV. It sadly never , ever goes on sale.

Nothing wrong with flip phones, I still love them. There’s a part of me that would love to have my work phone be a DuraXV and holster it up during my shift.

Sent you my referral code.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Dec 8, 2020

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

For you Playstation gamers, check out the myVerizon app or log into your account. It looks like they're giving away three free months of PS Plus and PS Now.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Silly Burrito posted:

For you Playstation gamers, check out the myVerizon app or log into your account. It looks like they're giving away three free months of PS Plus and PS Now.

If you upgraded a phone on a premium unlimited plan. 1 year if it was new service.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How often do cool new deals pop up like that

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

How often do cool new deals pop up like that

The PlayStation promo is super new, so unsure. It goes until Dec 31st if I remember right.

Verizon has basically been trying to give out deals like one year of PlayStation, 6 months Apple Music, free Disney+, basically as ways to keep customers on higher plans and from switching away. They’re now doing something with Discovery + as well. Verizon keeps customers, doesn’t have to roll out their own content (which would likely fail), they’re probably getting this stuff at a discount from Disney, PlayStation, etc, and Disney and all get more subscribers. Probably win win.

My guess (which is probably obvious), is that whatever their numbers see as getting the best reception they will keep , stuff that doesn’t work goes by the wayside, with the other part being the content providers have to keep wanting to do said deals.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

If you upgraded a phone on a premium unlimited plan. 1 year if it was new service.

That may be why then. Best Buy had/has the Note 20 Ultra for $849, and then gave me $300 for my XR. Couldn't really pass that up as no other deals were close on BF.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Duckman2008 posted:

The PlayStation promo is super new, so unsure. It goes until Dec 31st if I remember right.

Verizon has basically been trying to give out deals like one year of PlayStation, 6 months Apple Music, free Disney+, basically as ways to keep customers on higher plans and from switching away. They’re now doing something with Discovery + as well. Verizon keeps customers, doesn’t have to roll out their own content (which would likely fail), they’re probably getting this stuff at a discount from Disney, PlayStation, etc, and Disney and all get more subscribers. Probably win win.

My guess (which is probably obvious), is that whatever their numbers see as getting the best reception they will keep , stuff that doesn’t work goes by the wayside, with the other part being the content providers have to keep wanting to do said deals.

Sweet thanks duckman. What's the discovery+ thing?

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Is there an easy way to confirm I have a 5g sim card? There aren't any obvious markings on the one my Verizon-sold Pixel 5 came with, and I have never seen it connect to 5g. I'm in Dallas, so I assumed there would at least be pockets of lower band 5g here.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sweet thanks duckman. What's the discovery+ thing?

Its the discovery and food network version of Disney +

Bandire posted:

Is there an easy way to confirm I have a 5g sim card? There aren't any obvious markings on the one my Verizon-sold Pixel 5 came with, and I have never seen it connect to 5g. I'm in Dallas, so I assumed there would at least be pockets of lower band 5g here.

Pop the SIM, the 5G cards literally say 5G, so if it doesn’t , get your SIM swapped.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Duckman2008 posted:

Pop the SIM, the 5G cards literally say 5G, so if it doesn’t , get your SIM swapped.

I already did, and it just has the little red Verizon V and numbers on it. Great. Thank you.

Edit: Yep, confirmed. Support is mailing me a new sim. Thanks again.

Bandire fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Dec 10, 2020

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

So does 5G turn to "5G+" or something when you're within usable range of mmWave?

Bandire posted:

...it just has the little red Verizon V and numbers on it.

Wonderful, this is me, too - so VZW put the wrong SIM in my P5?

Yeah, mine very much does not look like this:

Would it just be simpler to go to the local non-affiliate B&M to get these switched out?

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Dec 11, 2020

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So does 5G turn to "5G+" or something when you're within usable range of mmWave?

Wonderful, this is me, too - so VZW put the wrong SIM in my P5?

Yeah, mine very much does not look like this:

Would it just be simpler to go to the local non-affiliate B&M to get these switched out?

Indirect dealers tend to charge a fee for a SIM swap. If you have a Corp store near by , go there. Or just have care ship you one.

Nationwide (low band) 5G just says “5G,” and mmWave will show “5GUW.” You will def know.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

Indirect dealers tend to charge a fee for a SIM swap. If you have a Corp store near by , go there. Or just have care ship you one.

Nationwide (low band) 5G just says “5G,” and mmWave will show “5GUW.” You will def know.

Yeah, I just have the red "V" with the 20 number string.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Hokay, thanks again for your help, Duckman.

I'm pretty sure I did it properly through your referral link. Let me know if you see anything.

Converted 5 of my lines to Do More. 1 line to Play more, and 1 line to the $20 base unlimited (iPad, after I swapped the SIM into it), which is now only $10/mo.

Net change of $0/mo for the plan, but bill went down $8/mo, so won't complain there.

Disney+ bundle activated, which saves me another $13/mo.

And my lines should now be eligible for the $10/mo/line discount for auto-pay with my Verizon Visa.

Now, my question is, because I am considering doing some fuckery with upgrades (getting my wife a P5 using my upgrade, since I got my Note on hers last year), would it be worth it to request 5G-capable SIMs for the 6 lines that don't already have it, even though none of them are 5G phones? That would make it easier to do SIM swapping if I do that upgrade.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

AlexDeGruven posted:

Hokay, thanks again for your help, Duckman.

I'm pretty sure I did it properly through your referral link. Let me know if you see anything.

Converted 5 of my lines to Do More. 1 line to Play more, and 1 line to the $20 base unlimited (iPad, after I swapped the SIM into it), which is now only $10/mo.

Net change of $0/mo for the plan, but bill went down $8/mo, so won't complain there.

Disney+ bundle activated, which saves me another $13/mo.

And my lines should now be eligible for the $10/mo/line discount for auto-pay with my Verizon Visa.

Now, my question is, because I am considering doing some fuckery with upgrades (getting my wife a P5 using my upgrade, since I got my Note on hers last year), would it be worth it to request 5G-capable SIMs for the 6 lines that don't already have it, even though none of them are 5G phones? That would make it easier to do SIM swapping if I do that upgrade.

Verizon won’t give you a 5G SIM until you have a 5G phone. And I wouldn’t worry about it until then anyway.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Gotcha. Just wanted to smooth the transition of swapping about with my upgrade, etc.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

5G SIM swap took ~10 minutes. Would've taken five but they were "restricted" for some reason and the guy had to call support for provisional access.

Hopefully that's the last hiccup for a while.

Hey Duckman - question about the Kyocera flip phone - would dropping down to the $35 'kinda unlimited' (not the kids one, obviously) plan on it still give a discount per line? I mean, I know those have very limited internet connectivity, but there's no reason to have it using a smartphone-level unlimited plan. Or is there an even cheaper option which might or might not be cheaper since it wouldn't be an unlimited plan and work into the bundle discount?

Also, looking at my SIM status, I now see LTE under Mobile voice network type and NR NSA under Mobile data. I've yet to actually get the phone in a 5GUW zone to test if that's working.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Dec 12, 2020

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BIG HEADLINE posted:

5G SIM swap took ~10 minutes. Would've taken five but they were "restricted" for some reason and the guy had to call support for provisional access.

Hopefully that's the last hiccup for a while.

Hey Duckman - question about the Kyocera flip phone - would dropping down to the $35 'kinda unlimited' (not the kids one, obviously) plan on it still give a discount per line? I mean, I know those have very limited internet connectivity, but there's no reason to have it using a smartphone-level unlimited plan. Or is there an even cheaper option which might or might not be cheaper since it wouldn't be an unlimited plan and work into the bundle discount?

Also, looking at my SIM status, I now see LTE under Mobile voice network type and NR NSA under Mobile data. I've yet to actually get the phone in a 5GUW zone to test if that's working.

For the flip phone: you want to put it on start unlimited. That’s the cheapest plan to put it on other than kids plan, and I’m pretty sure that’s what your referencing to. No cheaper plan, essentially it still counts as a line towards the 3-5 line discounts and so it helps there.

Didn’t quite follow your SIM status , what is NR NSA ?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

Didn’t quite follow your SIM status , what is NR NSA ?

This the thing that explained it the least confusingly: https://www.infovista.com/5g-nr-non-standalone

Evidently it means New Radio Non-Stand Alone. Whatever that means. It's what it says when I open up the SIM Status sub-screen on the About Phone screen. Also, I was advised that 5G phones should be set to Global band instead of the usual Verizon LTE/CDMA, c/d?

Also, I'm trying to order the Kyocera flip phone but I'm not seeing an option to apply the $45 in device dollars it says I have at Checkout. I did enter your referral code through the link before attempting to check out.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Dec 12, 2020

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
About a month ago, I ordered a case for my new iPhone 12 Pro Max. Verizon's two day shipping took over a week, so I bought another one elsewhere and shipped Verizon theirs back. Used the prepaid return label included in the box, included a copy of the invoice with my name, phone number, order number highlighted to make life as easy as possible.

It's been probably three weeks since I returned it, but my account still hasn't been credited the cost of the returned item. I dropped off the package at a UPS store, but the tracking number was one of the generic "someone is returning stuff" ones that you can't track individually so I don't have a way to prove that they ever got the return.

How screwed am I in terms of getting my :20bux::10bux: back?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

About a month ago, I ordered a case for my new iPhone 12 Pro Max. Verizon's two day shipping took over a week, so I bought another one elsewhere and shipped Verizon theirs back. Used the prepaid return label included in the box, included a copy of the invoice with my name, phone number, order number highlighted to make life as easy as possible.

It's been probably three weeks since I returned it, but my account still hasn't been credited the cost of the returned item. I dropped off the package at a UPS store, but the tracking number was one of the generic "someone is returning stuff" ones that you can't track individually so I don't have a way to prove that they ever got the return.

How screwed am I in terms of getting my :20bux::10bux: back?

Call loyalty at (800) 392-0717 and ask for a manual credit. I can’t promise it, but I would expect them to credit you what you paid.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

My fiancee upgraded to an iPhone 12 that she got from Apple and activated herself. For some reason her line has a $40 upgrade fee on it and i'm currently in phone tree hell trying to talk to a person and not the digital assitant

Edit: supposedly it's going to be credited back to our account

Len fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Dec 13, 2020

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Len posted:

My fiancee upgraded to an iPhone 12 that she got from Apple and activated herself. For some reason her line has a $40 upgrade fee on it and i'm currently in phone tree hell trying to talk to a person and not the digital assitant

Edit: supposedly it's going to be credited back to our account

Yeah, you get charged that regardless of where you buy the phone. And yeah it’s dumb and only to increase profits.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
What's a good phone for Verizon right now? I can't do device trade-in - it requires "good condition" but my LG G4 is ancient and the charging port broke years ago.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, you get charged that regardless of where you buy the phone. And yeah it’s dumb and only to increase profits.

Is that just for apple? I didn't get it on my pixel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Jackard posted:

What's a good phone for Verizon right now? I can't do device trade-in - it requires "good condition" but my LG G4 is ancient and the charging port broke years ago.

Pixel 4a 5G covers a lot of bases.

If you don't care in the slightest about 5G, just the 4a will work nicely. The 5 has some extra creature comforts, but only you can say if you'd get any value or utility from them.