Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

Nah you can still complain about bullshit rate hikes, I think it’s ridiculous.

What plan(s) do you have? I can tell you if you should stay on current plan or switch to the current ones.

I have the stuff I switched to less than a year ago. 3 plans, 1 5g Start, 1 5g Do more, 1 5g Play more. Horseshit they cant keep it the same for a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

schreibs posted:

I have the stuff I switched to less than a year ago. 3 plans, 1 5g Start, 1 5g Do more, 1 5g Play more. Horseshit they cant keep it the same for a year.

Ugh, yeah that is ridiculous.

Does the Start unlimited person use mobile hotspot?

If they don’t, you could move them to welcome unlimited to save $5 a month (only difference is no mobile hotspot).

Leave play more where it is, it gives you free Disney plus.

If the line on Do More does not travel international, I would move it to the unlimited plus plan.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
If I have two Play More lines right now, would moving one of them to the new plan variant get us free Netflix without adding to the plan cost?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Danhenge posted:

If I have two Play More lines right now, would moving one of them to the new plan variant get us free Netflix without adding to the plan cost?

Well, there was never a free Netflix, it’s discount to $10 a month or so, or there’s the Netflix and Starz bundle I think? The HBO and Netflix one I think expired.

You should move one from play more to unlimited plus to save $4 a month, then you can get whichever perks you want as well. Emphasis: leave one line on play more to keep free Disney bundle.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

When Netflix announced their premium price increase, Verizon had a get 1 year of Netflix premium free if you did a year of Starz or AMC+. We signed up for AMC+ and I think it switched to Max soon after.

Maybe they will add a new one soon.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

When Netflix announced their premium price increase, Verizon had a get 1 year of Netflix premium free if you did a year of Starz or AMC+. We signed up for AMC+ and I think it switched to Max soon after.

Maybe they will add a new one soon.

Yeah they’ve changed the perk promos a lot. Not in a bad way, I think they’re working on finding the right mix. I would def expect more changes, and the nice thing is it’s not like any of them are long term contracts.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
Got an unlocked Pixel 8 this past Monday and took it in to the store to activate it. Worked fine. Suddenly today I don't have service on it at all. The phone says "You don't have a Verizon Wireless plan or you've used all of your plan allowance, please contact Verizon." All my attempts to contact Verizon about it simply do not work. The phone number directs me to the website which tells me that I need to reset my SIM card or, alternatively, that my device is simply not supported. What the gently caress

e: seems to have gone away on its own. great

Jinnigan fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Feb 22, 2024

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Jinnigan posted:

Got an unlocked Pixel 8 this past Monday and took it in to the store to activate it. Worked fine. Suddenly today I don't have service on it at all. The phone says "You don't have a Verizon Wireless plan or you've used all of your plan allowance, please contact Verizon." All my attempts to contact Verizon about it simply do not work. The phone number directs me to the website which tells me that I need to reset my SIM card or, alternatively, that my device is simply not supported. What the gently caress

There are nationwide cellular service outages affecting ATT, VZW, and Tmobile.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

jassi007 posted:

There are nationwide cellular service outages affecting ATT, VZW, and Tmobile.

Yeah, I have zero service this morning, and everyone I’ve run into at work is in the same situation.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
problems over. well, alright.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
Duckman I have a couple questions if you have time.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

jassi007 posted:

Duckman I have a couple questions if you have time.

Just responded to your PM !

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Cox is my ISP and on the surface it seems that switching to them as my cell provider would be ~$45, a significant drop from my Unlimited Plus plan with Verizon at ~$90, especially since they say they use Verizon's towers. Anyone have advice or experience with this?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Peteyfoot posted:

Cox is my ISP and on the surface it seems that switching to them as my cell provider would be ~$45, a significant drop from my Unlimited Plus plan with Verizon at ~$90, especially since they say they use Verizon's towers. Anyone have advice or experience with this?

The only caveat for "uses Verizon's network/towers" is that during periods of high usage you get the poo poo end of the stick for data prioritization over native VZW customers.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

MVNO lines will be the very first to be deprioritized, probably even more than prepaid and Visible.

So if you're in an even remotely populated area, that could be a real concern.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Thanks y'all! I appreciate the insights. I think I'll stick with the peace of mind of getting what I pay for.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
So far I really like the Prepaid "Unlimited Plus" plan for $70 I moved to back in December for my iPhone/iPad, even though the billing is confusing as hell. Even though I have it linked to a credit card and Autopay set, it seems to only pay the phone part of the plan and not the tablet and then the tablet doesn't work until I move more money over....maybe it's me and it will work by itself out next time when the plan "expires" on March 11. :newlol:

I was able to switch to the prepaid plan from a post unlimited plan easily via chat and also able to switch to a new iphone back in January via the website with no issues. Surprising.

Verizon is also (as of Nov 2023) allowing watches added to prepaid as well, for like $10/month so I may finally get an Apple Watch.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Mar 5, 2024

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
A random question about porting numbers. If I'm porting out two lines from an account, is the same port pin used for both? I've successfully transferred one number that is verified working with the new carrier, but the second line says that a port pin is already active, and needs to be canceled before generating another.

Is this just a case of "wait 24-48 hours for the first port, then do the second"? FWIW, I created the PIN by calling and then using the app with the account owner line, but transferred a different line on the account successfully using that PIN.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

PitViper posted:

A random question about porting numbers. If I'm porting out two lines from an account, is the same port pin used for both? I've successfully transferred one number that is verified working with the new carrier, but the second line says that a port pin is already active, and needs to be canceled before generating another.

Is this just a case of "wait 24-48 hours for the first port, then do the second"? FWIW, I created the PIN by calling and then using the app with the account owner line, but transferred a different line on the account successfully using that PIN.

Same port pin should work, but worst case just ask for a second one, don’t worry about waiting 24 hours.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!

Duckman2008 posted:

Same port pin should work, but worst case just ask for a second one, don’t worry about waiting 24 hours.

After posting, I dig deeper into the FAQs and found that answer. Both ports went without a hitch, thankfully!

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I have a work iPhone 14 and a personal iPhone 13. The 14 has a digital sim while the 13 still has the regular card. From what I understand to swap sims I need to get my physical SIM card converted to digital and then I can swap them; is that something that can be done at the Verizon store?

The one complicating thing here is that my work phone is entirely paid by the company and I don’t have any account access - but I don’t think I should need it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Russian Bear posted:

I have a work iPhone 14 and a personal iPhone 13. The 14 has a digital sim while the 13 still has the regular card. From what I understand to swap sims I need to get my physical SIM card converted to digital and then I can swap them; is that something that can be done at the Verizon store?

The one complicating thing here is that my work phone is entirely paid by the company and I don’t have any account access - but I don’t think I should need it.

You will need work authorization to swap an eSIM. A store can swap an eSIM absolutely, but they would need to call your work telecom manager for permission.

Better bet is to reach out the the person(s) that manage the work account and ask them to submit to swap the eSIM for you on the work end. Once that is done, then you can just call in and have the 14 programmed to your personal. You could go to a store for that if you want to.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Thanks Duckman! You da best.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I'm a dummy and can't figure out whether my phone is unlocked. I've got a paid-off Pixel 6 Pro from 2021; is there a way to figure this out from the Verizon website?

Thinking about making a swap from Xfinity internet to AT&T fiber, and they offer a discount if you bundle in phone service too.

I've got Verizon's Welcome Unlimited plan at the moment and that's $71/mo, and I think the comparable AT&T Value Plus VL plan would be about $15 cheaper with taxes/fees factored in, so I'd be getting a discount on both services with similar phone and better internet.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

surf rock posted:

I'm a dummy and can't figure out whether my phone is unlocked. I've got a paid-off Pixel 6 Pro from 2021; is there a way to figure this out from the Verizon website?

Thinking about making a swap from Xfinity internet to AT&T fiber, and they offer a discount if you bundle in phone service too.

I've got Verizon's Welcome Unlimited plan at the moment and that's $71/mo, and I think the comparable AT&T Value Plus VL plan would be about $15 cheaper with taxes/fees factored in, so I'd be getting a discount on both services with similar phone and better internet.

Verizon Auto unlocks all phones after 60 days use, so your phone is absolutely unlocked.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Thank you, Duckman! Greatly appreciate the help.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

First, thank you for this thread. It's awesome to see a person truly dedicated to helping people to the point that they could be playing a video game or whatever, but they're here helping get everyone up and running.

Second, my sim card is driving me nuts. It keeps shutting off semi-randomly, so I get wi-fi but my phone won't recognize mobile data. Popping the card out and back in and then restarting will get me going again 99% of the time. Level 2 customer service got me up and running the other night with that restart procedure and reprovisioning the card from their end (or not, that's the sort of thing a worse version of me used to say to customers when they just needed to restart a device but didn't believe it would work). Interestingly, I'm posting this after just blowing into the slot before replacing the SIM card, no restart.

What's your instinct here: busted card, busted phone, or some kind of ethereal server side thing?

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Apr 2, 2024

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Inspector Hound posted:

First, thank you for this thread. It's awesome to see a person truly dedicated to helping people to the point that they could be playing a video game or whatever, but they're here helping get everyone up and running.

Second, my sim card is driving me nuts. It keeps shutting off semi-randomly, so I get wi-fi but my phone won't recognize mobile data. Popping the card out and back in and then restarting will get me going again 99% of the time. Level 2 customer service got me up and running the other night with that restart procedure and reprovisioning the card from their end (or not, that's the sort of thing a worse version of me used to say to customers when they just needed to restart a device but didn't believe it would work). Interestingly, I'm posting this after just blowing into the slot before replacing the SIM card, no restart.

What's your instinct here: busted card, busted phone, or some kind of ethereal server side thing?

I just got an Xbox , so I might not be here as much! (Joking).

Thank you, happy to help. So, I need to know what phone you have and how long you have had it.

If it’s a phone that is eSIM compatible switching to eSIM is the easiest fix.

If not, go to your nearest corp store to swap a SIM card. It’s free at the corp stores. You can set an appointment at Vzw.com/storelocator

Let me know what your phone is and also how either solution goes.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Anyone having issues with Verizon? It shows connected with 3 bars of LTE but then it will not be able to do anything. iMessages randomly cannot go out. Websites will not load. Cannot run a speed test.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Anyone having issues with Verizon? It shows connected with 3 bars of LTE but then it will not be able to do anything. iMessages randomly cannot go out. Websites will not load. Cannot run a speed test.

I've been having issues with my P8P dropping connection, but at the moment a reboot fixes it. I might just have a SIM card that's getting old or corrupted.

I did notice some real squirreliness after performing a recent Google Play update - not the one in the app, the one in the About Phone section.

I'm also noticing my modem annoyingly switching between LTE, 5G, and 5GUW far more commonly than before, and there's always a brief service interruption whenever it does.

If it's the phone, it's still well inside the first year.