Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I have a decent Verizon signal in my home but it occasionally drops to one bar. Is there any benefit for me to use WiFi calling or does the normal network do fine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

We recently put a metal roof on our house and since then, I have noticed lower call quality.

Is there any downside to using WiFi calling such as hidden fees?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Does Verizon still offer NFL streaming data cap free? I know before that they did but they announced this year that anyone, regardless of wireless provider, will be able to stream all games for free through the NFL app (powered by Verizon).

I was just wondering if it would count against my data for the month.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

My IPhone X still provides a transcript for my voicemails but I thought that was only for a temporary time.

Does Verizon provide that for all IPhones?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I keep having these issues where I have 2 bars of LTE but if I try to do anything, then it comes up saying that I do not have an internet connection. It happens usually once a day where it takes a few minutes to “correct itself” (nothing changes, it just starts working again) or I have to restart my IPhone X.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Thanks!

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

“Unlimited Wireless”

Dammit, we get 16 GBs and that is just right (including the carryover data). I was so pumped when I first saw this.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Looking through our current plan (2 lines, nationwide talk and text with 16 GBs, 12 plan GBs and 4 bonus GBs). We usually have 5-6 GBs of data left over each month with this month being the exception. Once we pay off our Phones this month, the bill will be $127 a month (including a 19% access discount).

Do any of the unlimited plans offer a better deal at all or do any of them allow the 19% discount to be used on them? I have not really followed the new plans so I did not know if they would be a better deal for my family.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

No and no. Unless you start going over your data your current plan is the best rate. The only discount that applies to unlimited plans is military discount.

Thanks. I thought I had read that these unlimited plans made access discounts obsolete but I wanted to be sure.

Thanks Duckman!

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

This is our current plan.

Would switching to the teacher’s discount be a better deal? I know that I have asked you before about switching to the unlimited plan (and it would cost us more) but I did not know that there was a teacher discount.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

2 lines.
Autopay is fine. Currently bill is $30.71 per line and $64.80 in account charges for a monthly price of $126.22.
I believe the 20 GB extra is due to Covid set up. We pay for 12 GBs and got 4 extra GBs for the rest of our time along with carry over data. Right now, it says that we have 26 GBs remaining with 1 day left.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Thanks for the information. Those would also give a free year of Disney+, right? Or did they end that promo?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Is there any way to check for issues with Verizon LTE? In the last two weeks, I have been having issues where I show 2-3 bars on LTE but I cannot do anything involving it (check weather, read the news, check Facebook, even sending iMessages has issue, etc).

Today, I tried to run multiple speed tests. 3 failed to establish a connection and 1 worked (8 down, 0 up).

Is it worth it to contact Verizon to see?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

The app says I have 20 GB of data left with 5 days remaining so not even close to the cap (although, I believe that they have been removing the data cap for the last several months so it always looks weird)

Safety mode is disabled.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

My wife just got me an Apple Watch that has cellular. However, when I try to set it up, it says that it cannot log in (I can log into the app, no problem but when I tried to set up the Verizon shortcut, it would never recognize my info).
I then tried to register it and it gives me a “your number is invalid” message.
Any ideas on how to set it up or what could be causing it? (My wife’s phone is the main phone number for the account)
This is the first error message:
https://i.imgur.com/OBZKDvA.png
Second error message:
https://i.imgur.com/0e84IGC.png

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Call care, they’ll manually add the IMEI to your account.

I realized that I could add it through the Verizon app. Is it normally around $15 a month for the added smart watch? Our next bill is $45 more but then the month after is $15 more?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I called CS to ask about the issue with LTE data being non-existent at times in our area.

After an hour and a half of talking to two different, but extremely polite and apologetic women, it was decided that it must be my and my wife’s SIM cards (luckily, LTE data went out in the middle of the call and neither me or my wife could do anything as an test even though we had two/three bars and they said the tower showed it was working fine). I will stop by a store tomorrow and get a new SIM card for me and my wife will get one after work.

I also attempted to add my Apple Watch to my account but it could not set up the cellular possibly because my phone could not access the LTE in order to confirm. Randomly tonight, it finally worked and I have my watch available now too.

I must say that being on the phone for an hour and a half is a lot easier when the CS reps are personable.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

How many lines do you have?

Either way

4GB plan is $50 a month, $20 a line.

5GB plan is $30 a month, $25 a line WITH autopay ($35 without)

10GB is $40 a month, $25 a line with autopay.

If it’s the same price you can either back date it to the current month or future days it to start next month, it’ll be the same either way. But yeah, as long as you do autopay the new plans can get you more data for the same amount as some of the old plans, but it def varies.

The $40 off is a grandfathered military discount code. So that is account level, not plan level, and doesn’t go away with plan changes (it would go away if you filed for a different work discount though yeah). It *should* stick moving to the start and play more plans. If you want to be sure (I don’t blame you), call care and they can confirm it over the phone before switching it.

Sorry to hear it. Is it just your house or the whole area ? And if it’s the whole area, do your neighbors have the issue , if they have Verizon ?

It happens if I am outside as well. I can go on a walk and it happens.

I work about 10 miles away from my house and my coworkers there (who live in that town) have also said that they have been having issues with LTE data with Verizon.

The first CSR said that Illinois is having data issues in certain part of the state but that ours was not one of them. It could be that we now get added to those areas.

Update: went into the store and they had to try several times to get it to save my new SIM card on the Verizon system. It would never activate on my phone and it kept showing the new SIM card not saved on their system. Then it just went through. :confused:

Bizarro Kanyon fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Aug 13, 2020

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I can try. What is the method to do that and does it have any other issues besides battery?

I tried out my phone away from the house tonight. Showed 2 bars of LTE but it could not connect to anything including multiple speed tests. Walked two blocks and tried again (same 2 bars LTE) and it got 2mbps down, 0 up.

Walked another 8 or so blocks with same signal and it failed to connect. Walked 4 blocks and it suddenly showed all 4 bars so I tried and got 9 mbps down, still 0 up.

Walked 4 blocks (stopped right before my wife might have taken over) and it returned to 2 bars LTE and it had the connection issue again.

I live in a rural community (just off an interstate) so it just confuses me (especially since it has never been like this since we moved her in 2008 and my wife is having a similar problem).

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Does Verizon ever do Black Friday style sales on IPads? We are looking at getting a cellular iPad but wanted to wait in case we could get it cheaper?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Man, Verizon can be pretty frustrating.

I have 3 bars of LTE but if I try to send an SMS message with a picture, all of them fail to send. Also, if I turn off my home WiFi, I can no longer go onto anything on the internet because it says there is no connection.

This has been an issue for at least a year and I called them previously but they just had me reset my network settings (edit: and put a new SIM card in) which did not do anything. It seems like my town (which is right along the interstate) has became a dead zone.

Edit: Looking back through my posts and the majority of my posts are pointing out these LTE issues for the last few years and having Duckman help me out because Duckman is awesome! Thanks Duckman, you are the redeeming quality of Verizon.

Bizarro Kanyon fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jun 21, 2021

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Went into the app to see how much data we had left for the month and it says that we have 0 Gbs left but that we have also used 0 Gbs with 19 days remaining.

“One weird trick to get unlimited data that Verizon does not want you to know…”

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Awww man, I was actually thinking of upgrading from my X to a 13 pro for that discount, until I saw this

Duckman2008 posted:

Have to be on a “premium unlimited” plan.

We are on an old plan so we would not get the $800 off. Oh well, I can wait.

Thanks Duckman for doing an amazing job. You helped me get the X and have helped with multiple issues before. May the referrals be plenty for you!

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Just to check, do you have more then or less than 5 lines ?

Here’s the thing with the $110 unlimited. Def a good plan *if you are ok with auto pay with bank account, new plans are around the same up to 5 lines. If you’re at 6-10 , yeah maybe a different story.

Anyway, either way thanks for the input , I appreciate it !

We are at 4 (two phones, an iPad and an Apple Watch). We already do auto pay.

We are on the $80 12GB plan (with 4 bonus GB) with $10 number line share access, 2 $20 smartphone line access, and a $10 tablet line access.

Including device payment for iPad, 19% access discount and taxes/fees/surcharges, our monthly bill comes to $166 or so.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Ah yes, Nevermind that’s gonna be cheaper than the unlimited plans unless you are military , teacher , nurse or first responder, or you are lucky and there is a random loyalty discount offer available targeted towards your specific plan

I am a teacher (non-union) but I thought that the teacher discount was the 19% too.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Survived the day, but I am fairly tired for sure. Crazy but fun day.

Thanks Duckman2008, with your link, we were able to get 256 GB graphite 13 pros that will be here next Friday.

I absolutely did not plan on getting a new phone this year (just got a new battery back in February) but getting $800 for a 4 year old phone that I paid $1,000 for made it really hard to not upgrade.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Has anyone else had their delivery date change?

Checked on Monday and the app said Delivery Date of September 24th. Today, it says that delivery date will be updated soon.

We have not gotten any emails since our receipts for orders last week and it has not told us that it has shipped. Also, we noticed that one says that it was ordered on the 17th and one on the 18th but we ordered them both on the same night (15 minutes after each other).

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

UPS still says Friday for me.

I do not even have a tracking number to search for.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I hate “hold onto your butts” but things could be worse.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

After the system saying that the phone was in Ontario, it suddenly got delivered. Thank you Canada.

Super easy set up. I was afraid that the bad signal at my house would be an issue when we activated but it went through just fine.

When it comes to the SIM card on my old phone, what exactly do I need to do with it? I have erased my phone (the system brought it up as an option to one button erase it but it did not with my wife) but I cannot remember what to do with the SIM card.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Buff Hardback posted:

Is there a better way to report dead zones than messaging on Facebook and dealing with the “have you tried resetting network settings” BS?

I switched from T-Mobile to Verizon because of service sucking with T-Mobile here, and overall it’s been better, but one shopping plaza has literally no service and is in the 5G nationwide coverage map.

No, I have called into Verizon in the past and even they were not able to solve anything. After resetting the network, they had me go into a store and get a new SIM card. I did that and it did not fix it. I thought my phone’s radio transmitter might have been having issues (although my wife was having the same issue) but my new phone still does it.

I have just gotten used to the fact that my town has several dead zones (including the interstate that runs right through it)

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Verizon coverage is extremely confusing sometimes.

I drive into a neighboring town on a 2 lane highway. It is a 10 minute drive in rural country into a town where two major interstates connect.

Driving down the road and I notice that I am getting 5G for the first time (only place around here that shows it is a 1.5 hour trip to St. Louis). I decide to try a Speedtest to see how fast it is and I get 4.33mbps down and 0.02 up.

A mile down the road, it shows 4 bars of 5G and it get 31 mbps down and 6 mbps up. I get into town and 5G disappears.

I pick up what I need and head back home. Driving on the same road just on the other side of the road and it never showcases 5G the entire trip home.

Bizarro Kanyon fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 23, 2021

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

5G is on the same frequency , and same backhaul, as 4G. So basically it’s the same thing where what you hit was just a low coverage area.

5G won’t be actually different until the roll our C Band. Rumors (and def just rumors) are early 2022, but we shall see.

Oh I gotcha! I thought they were on separate frequencies already.

Another question, does Verizon send you an email that they have received your traded in phones? We sent them in but have not been notified if Verizon received them.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

We checked the UPS tracking number and it shows that the devices were received on 10/12 but Verizon’s system still says that it is “initiating” the trade in (not even showing that it has shipped yet).

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

What is the best method to contact Verizon concerning our trade in? We sent it in 2 weeks after we got our 13 pros. Our tracking number shows that Verizon received it on 10/12 but their system still says that we never sent it in to them.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

(800) 392-0717 , option 0 or say cancel.

Thanks for the number. Called and while I was on the line for 30 minutes, they got it taken care of. Our phones were received and had even been approved of but the system apparently would not add the trade in promo to our account. 30 minutes later and it was corrected.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Thanks for the number. Called and while I was on the line for 30 minutes, they got it taken care of. Our phones were received and had even been approved of but the system apparently would not add the trade in promo to our account. 30 minutes later and it was corrected.

Why must Verizon hurt me so much?!?!?

Got an email today say that our phones were received and our bill was updated but “due to our phones not being turned in during the proper trade in time, we will receive only $137 per phone instead of $800”

Looks like I will have to call them again and hopefully get it taken care of. They have call centers open on Saturdays, right?

Edit: Called tonight and I can say that the CSRs are always so nice. They showed my wife’s phone as getting the $800 but mine did not. I worked it through with a lady and she said that she manually changed my trade in value from $137 to $1,000 (she bumped up my $800 trade in value for all the trouble). Because we have paid 4 months without the credit they are throwing the credit on all of the next month’s bill so our next bill is only going to be $67.

We will have to keep an eye on the bills over the next month but hopefully, it is fixed now.

Bizarro Kanyon fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Dec 4, 2021

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I am getting spam texts like crazy. The phone calls are a regular thing but I am currently getting 8 or so spam texts a day now.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Anyone know about this? My wife was looking at apple watches through the Verizon app? It showed that the SE is $99.99 but when we click on it, it does not give an option for that price, just $360.

I tried searching online for sale info but could not find anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Okay. Thanks for the info. My wife was just looking and has not decided if she wants one or not. When it looked like it could be $100, she thought it was a no brainer though.