Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Got a moto g power from Google fi, took out the sim card from my old phone and put in my Verizon sim. Factory reset, added it to my account on the website by typing in the IMEI. Didn't seem to make the change permanently but wasn't sure if the site was just slow
Still can't get data but have cell service (well, texts). What's the deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Duckman2008 posted:

You shouldn’t have to bother changing the IMEI , the SIM will auto talk to the network and provision the IMEI for you.

Device should work as far as I know. Call tier 2 tech support at (866) 892-7957 (from a different phone if you can) and they’ll troubleshoot it for you. Warning, wait times are usually bad, 10-30 mins, but just is what it is on that.

Spent an hour with them last week , they were very helpful but unable to diagnose. Google Fi swears their phones are unlocked but I don't believe them. I'll keep banging my head against this, what a huge mistake it was to try to save $100 or so and swap carriers instead of just buying direct from verizon, gah

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

I didn't but maybe I have to. At this point I'm insanely frustrated - I had to wait the entire month on google fi to get the $100 discount, I'm checking now to see if i can return the phone but probably can't after all this time, and my trip to the verizon store was entirely pointless. After waiting a long time they got me a new SIM card, same exact issues - no data, cdma 1x only , calls and texts don't show up for a long while after they're sent for some reason. It's not even verizon's fault I don't think, i'm just mad as heck now since it's so hard to diagnose what's up

and of course the store manager said maybe it's a gsm only phone, which it isn't and wouldn't show up as cdma in the settings anyways. argh.

so now i have: moto x4 that went corrupt in about 2 years, moto g power that mysteriously won't work on verizon but does on fi, and an ancient droid turbo from 2014 that I had replaced once already for screen issues. guess i just stuff the sim in the droid turbo until i solve this other stuff

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

kensei posted:

I have a Moto G4+ you can use until you sort all this out if you'd like.

Thanks man, and thanks to duckman too who has helped me a ton over the ages. I'm out of town right now and using my ancient droid turbo with the sim to hotspot and then using the g power. Of course I hit the hotspot limit and got throttled, ah well.

I had hoped once I cancelled the Google Fi account something would have unlocked but no luck. I really am going to have to sell the g power and change out to something else. Thanks for all the support, it's such a mysteriously weird issue to get SMS and calls but not MMS or data.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
So I got back from vacation and figured Id give the moto g power (from Google fi, with Verizon Sim) one last try before selling it . As you may recall from my saga, it could never get data, only sms and voice . Verizon reps at the store thought the issue was it's a phone that doesn't work with CDMA

So I turned off wifi and lo and behold I have internet on it for the first time in 2 months. What kind of internet you ask?
Evdo Rev A, 3g cdma only

I gotta admit I didn't expect this

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Is that $700 tradein of a broken screen IPhone 8+ towards a 12/12pro still available? I cant find the deal on the website but swear I saw it yesterday.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Duckman2008 posted:

Oh totally. And still around to help.

Fyi, you should check the trade in on a 14, they’ve had retention offers of $800 on the 14 recently (mileage varies), which legit surprised me. Mileage varies.

Sucks it’s a bigger phone than the mini, but for the trade in difference I would do it if available.

BB seems to have an even better one that's too good to be true:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/conditional-offers/verizon-iphone-14-trade-in/pcmcat1662675479309.c?id=pcmcat1662675479309

My wife could trade in her iphone 12 pro and get $1k towards an iphone 14 pro? Insane.
She still has $150 left on her 12 but hopefully that could be paid off while at best buy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Duckman2008 posted:

Sorry, this is also potentially a loyalty offer. It’s more rare , but I’ve had $1000 upgrade trade ins when it’s the pro. With $150 left I wouldn’t think the system gives it, but hey if they do obviously take it.

Reminder: the main catch for these discounts are 3 year contracts. People aren’t upgrading as often now a days, but good to reminder.

Side note: Shakeman I may PM you soon, I could use Relicanth for Pokémon go , especially since I missed it during the last event.

Looks like I got overexcited and the $1k is for new customers. The 3 year thing is good to remember, my wife was upgrading every two years which was honestly kind of annoying and expensive so in a way I prefer this. And yeah hit me up for pokemons