Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

Duckman2008 posted:

Q. Why did you post this thread? Most goons have ended up switching jobs after posting a phone thread.

A. :negative: Hopefully not this time

*sigh* Hopefully, a nice AT&T goon comes along and refreshes that thread too...

Nice work on this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

So, did you see anyone protest?

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Taking on a VzW business account at work.

Anything I should know to get the best deals out of my rep?

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
I am working on renegotiating the wireless contract for my company. We have ~30 voice lines and 5 jetpacks/cradlepoints.

I have been intrigued by the flexible business plans (https://www.verizonwireless.com/biz/plans/flexible-business-plan/) but really hate that they only give you a $20/month discount if you buy a phone on monthly installments. Even if a line is out of contract, you still must pay this $20.
If the line is out of contract, I feel like it shouldn't have to pay $20/month extra, just because.

I asked my account manager about it, and she said in the time she has worked there, she has only seen one account get an override for that policy.

I'm trying to determine what buttons to push, so to speak, to make the override a reality. Do any Verizon reps here know of other channels I can try? Is there a big sales push to sell something right now in the business landscape, that I could leverage to get an override?

EDIT: Just to be extra clear, I am not asking to purchase phones on 2 year contracts with this plan. They need to make back their subsidy. I get that.

Beefstorm fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 29, 2019

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Duckman2008 posted:

I mean, it’s the same as consume plans when you were at ATT, it’s $20 a month no contract, $40 a month contract. Hence why they don’t discount the lines further, it’s already there.

So not sure. I would compare the plan to business unlimited and go from there. The flex plans tend to not be viable under 50 lines.

But the key difference is that they only give you the $20 discount if you are actively purchasing a phone on a payment plan.

If you are 100% out of contract, and own your phone, the $45/month turns into $65/month. AT&T does not do that. AT&T only does that if you buy it on a 2 year contract.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Duckman2008 posted:

What plan are you on? All the current business plans def do not go up $20 if you own the phone.

Something’s off then, possible you’re just on some really old plans (plans from 4ish years ago functioned like you described). I think you just need to check plan prices and change to a new plan, likely business unlimited.

We're on this right now. https://www.verizonwireless.com/biz/plans/verizon-plan-business/ This plan does not increase once you own the phone.

The flexible plan https://www.verizonwireless.com/biz/plans/flexible-business-plan/ does increase once you own the phone.

And we don't want unlimited, because we plan on utilizing the data on our CradlePoint devices, which can't be on unlimited.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Duckman2008 posted:

Oh poo poo, it just clicked in my head on cradle points. You are right that the cradle points are going to be a bitch since they can’t do unlimited. Verizon’s current plans don’t help with that.

That being said, Flex plans are likely not the answer. I don’t work with a bus like yours every day, but the mantra tends to be don’t do flex plans until at least 50 lines.

I would have someone run the numbers, but the bus plan you’re on now is honestly likely the best with something like a cradle point.

Blah, that's a shame. We're on two group accounts right now, which is just a waste. It is cheaper, but annoying.

Since theres a good 50gb of data not being used, I figured I could utilize it on the CradlePoint devices. But no... :(

Guess I'll just stick it on one of the groups.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Also, fun fact for anyone who is interested...

If you are a Verizon Wireless business customer, and you have more than 25 lines, you are eligible for Verizon Private Network.

For a one time fee of ~$500, you can assign up to 25 Public Static IPs to your lines. After 25, you need to submit justification documentation.

But that's it. One time, $500, all you can eat static IPs with justification.

You can do even more cool stuff like connecting your infrastructure to their network, give Verizon a pool of private IP addresses, and you can make any SIM card a direct link to your company's network, no VPN required. Supposedly, this feature is also, only a one time fee of $500.
This does not take into consideration the security you should put in place. If someone steals your SIM, they have access to your network. SIM locking and/or 802.1x and/or RADIUS would be a good idea.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Beefstorm posted:

We're on this right now. https://www.verizonwireless.com/biz/plans/verizon-plan-business/ This plan does not increase once you own the phone.

The flexible plan https://www.verizonwireless.com/biz/plans/flexible-business-plan/ does increase once you own the phone.

And we don't want unlimited, because we plan on utilizing the data on our CradlePoint devices, which can't be on unlimited.

IDK if my account manager is just being sneaky in trying to get me to buy phones, or just Verizon in general. But the long story short is, once you buy a phone on device payments, you keep the discount.

The only way to get the discount in the first place, is to buy a phone through device payments on the line. No cheap BYOD on this business plan.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Just got my static IPs provisioned to my account.

Fun fact, Verizon decided back in June 2017 to no longer issue more IPv4 addresses. Yet I was assigned them yesterday...
https://email.vzwshop.com/pub/sf/Fo...rFGUumLp9Fzchzc

Turns out, according to my Verizon engineer, they still don't know how to issue static IPv6 addresses... So they decided to just wait.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

ItBreathes posted:

I was under the impression Visible was a first party offering in disguise. That said, it's explicit about having poor/limited cs.

Most big carriers' MVNOs that they own are directly operated and managed by those carriers (example, AT&T owns and operates Cricket under AT&T). Or, they sell their network to other companies who make an MVNO (StraightTalk is owned by another company, but purchases access from the big carriers).

Visible, from what I understand, is a little different. It is owned by Verizon, but Verizon is not directly operating and managing the company. They are operating it as a separate company. Don't ask me to expand beyond that, because I hardly know what that means. :iiam:

Just kidding! It's a company started by former Verizon executives. So, on Verzion's network, but a separate company entirely.
https://www.computerworld.com/article/3270941/why-verizon-is-funding-a-wireless-competitor-visible.html

Beefstorm fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jul 3, 2019

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

stevewm posted:

Welp at work it sounds like we might be leaving Verizon Wireless.

TMobile cold called the owner and offered a deal that was simply too good to ignore, straight up $20,000 per year less than Verizon Wireless.

After some testing, their coverage seems to be comparable in our area... so Verizon really has to step up to the plate here.

Thankfully a good bit of our hardware is compatible, so just new SIMs and APN settings, and voicemail setups are needed. But still not looking forward to such a migration with 70ish users.

I'm excited to see how it goes for you. We just evaluated T-Mobile vs Verizon Wireless at my company.

The price ended up being more expensive at T-Mobile. But I am thinking its because of our discount. Turns out we've been Verizon customers for ~25 years. So we have 24% for our discount.

Let me know if the coverage ends up being alright for you. We kept VZW because (other than price) we need the service to work out in the boonies.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
So, the flexible business plans have data only plans for tablets, jetpacks, etc.
https://www.verizonwireless.com/business/plans/flexible-business-plan/

The 1gb plan is $10/month, 2gb is $25/month, 4gb is $45/month, and 6gb is $55/month (there's more, but they aren't important).
Overages are $10/gb.

Why would I ever get the 2gb or 4gb plan, when the overages on 1gb are cheaper? Am I just way misunderstanding this?

Beefstorm fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Oct 29, 2019

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I'm curious how Verizon handles the whole insurance stuff. I imagine it's customers not understanding or listening but so many times customers are buzzing mad because they have no idea what their Apple ID or password is and they can't turn off Find my to start their insurance claim.

So wait a second. I totally understand Asurion wanting to salvage a damaged phone to make back some of their insurance payment.

If I damage my phone beyond repair, or the screen is damaged enough, then I won't be able to remove the activation lock Are they denying claims when you can't remove the activation lock? Even if the damage would prevent you from doing so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Duckman2008 posted:

Historically, while they have talked about both speed and reliability , I will say the biggest single thing with Verizon that they advertise / take pride in is reliability. As in, even if it is not the fastest, it works and gets a connection.

IMO, def there have and will be issues, etc, but I will say, when poo poo hits the fan , IE natural disasters, etc, Verizon *usually* keeps the best coverage through it.

This 100%. Just because a cellular network can reach gigabit speeds, it doesn't matter if the network only exists in a single city block.

That being said, I finally had to bite the bullet and buy an AT&T sim for the secondary slot in our mobile unit cradlepoint. Now we basically have coverage everywhere but the NRQZ. :P