Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I’m trying to get an ESIM prepaid plan on my iPhone XS. I bought it in Europe, so it is a model A2097. My phone is factory unlocked and I’ve been able to add an ESIM T-Mobile prepaid plan a year or so ago without any issues, so I know it works. And from what I can find, model A2097 just doesn’t have LTE band 71 which is for T-Mobile anyway.

Anyway, I downloaded the My Verizon app and pasted in my digital IMEI and it says my device is not eligible but it doesn’t tell me why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

TheWevel posted:

Buy an iphone SE2 outright for $400, use any prepaid service (probably not verizon because of number porting), then when the new iphone comes out you can sign up as a new customer and sell the SE2 (or trade it in).

Let’s say I 100% for sure know that I will never buy an iPhone from Verizon. I’ve always bought my phones from Apple outright and handle selling my old phone by myself, and that’s just not going to change. What’s the incentive for me to go from a prepaid to postpaid plan?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Cool, thanks. One more question, what exactly does this mean? It’s on the info page for the prepaid plans.

quote:

Data speeds
DVD-quality streaming (up to 480p) on smartphones. In times of congestion, your data may be temporarily slower than other traffic.

Does this mean that YouTube Netflix etc are all going to be potato quality when I’m using data and there’s no way to get 1080p? Does a regular plan have this same limitation?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Duckman2008 posted:

That is correct. And the regular base plans do. On the regular plans if you pay $10 more a month you get 720 (among a few other features), and if you pay $10 extra you get 1080 (literally an add on cost for 1080, which is both stupid, but I will also say I donno why you would need 1080 for your phone).

Prepaid has no choice , it’s only 480.

Unbelievable.

Has it always been like this or is it because net neutrality was gutted?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

My friend has Verizon and is interested in switching to an iPhone but he’s not sold and he doesn’t pay for his plan (family plan) so he doesn’t want to complicate things.

I want to tell him that he could just buy an iPhone at full price from Apple and stick his Galaxy’s SIM card into it and it’ll just work and nothing will change regarding the Verizon plan. Nothing will get extended and the pricing will be exactly the same. And then if he decided he didn’t want the iPhone he could put the SIM back into his galaxy and return the iPhone directly to Apple within 14 days.

Is this true?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Does he need to buy the carrier unlocked version or the Verizon version? The Verizon version says there’s a $30 discount and “requires activation.” He doesn’t want to extend his Verizon contract by another 12 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Duckman2008 posted:

Potentially true.

Yes you can for sure buy any unlocked iPhone (make sure it’s the unlocked branded model) and it works with whatever Verizon plan no problem, no fees.

If he wants the 12, he will want to take said phone to a store to get a 5G SIM card (free at corporate stores). Or, if stores in the area are closed, have care mail him one.

So only disclaimer, 5G phones now need a 5G SIM.

OK last question, can that 5G SIM card go back into the Galaxy phone that doesn't have 5G? Or can he just put the original SIM card back into it?