Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I'm currently using an iPhone 11 Pro and might wanna jump back to my Galaxy S10+ for a while. I can't just take the SIM out and throw it in the old phone and have it go, correct? Both phones currently have SIMs in them anyway. Is following the My Verizon app pretty painless? Enter in the SIM ID numbers or whatever and my phone number and stuff just shows up on the old phone? How long does it take to "switch" over? Can I jump back and forth every week like a crazy person?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Just swap the SIM , the system will auto provision what you have. What’s more important going Apple to Samsung is go into your iPhone settings and sign out of iMessage and FaceTime before you swap your SIM, or else you risk missing iPhone to “iPhone” text messages. Other than that concern, you can always swap a SIM no problem.

Oh, neat, I had no idea that works. Thanks!

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

I dunno if this is the right place to post this or not but here goes:

Bought an iPhone 11 Pro in February, in May I begin to have an intermittent problem where my GPS is not tracking my movement. It finds me mostly fine but while navigating, the gps stops as if it cannot see me moving then warps ahead, then freezes, etc. I am a package courier that runs a lot of different routes, so this is a major problem.

I go through customer support with both Verizon and Apple to troubleshoot it, trying everything they each recommend and eventually doing a factory reset, and still the problem persists. Eventually Apple replaces the phone through Apple Care, sending me a refurb unit and I send my defective one back.

The replacement phone behaves perfectly for months.

Then, last month, the problem hits again, with the exact same behavior. I'm furious with my phone. I snap buy a Pixel 4a out of frustration since I assume the iPhone 11 Pro just has a lovely gps antenna or something.

And this week, the Pixel 4a is doing it. It's just the network. It must be.

I have an older Verizon L Data plan for about 6gb. I have 2+ gb remaining for my current billing data, so I know that's not it. My browsing speeds seem fine, I don't think I'm being throttled. The problem seemingly hits randomly, independent of my signal strength to the tower. It'll last for a couple days then go back to being perfect, all in the same area.

Has anyone seen or experienced anything like this? I have used Verizon GPS consistently all day 5-6 days a week for years and have never seen a phone behave like this before this past summer, much less two phones from two different manufacturers. I still have over a year on my current contract, and I'm not sure what to do.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

redeyes posted:

Id start with a couple things, turn off AGPS, so location set to GPS ONLY. Try and then put the device into airplane mode and get a GPS lock. If at this point it looses GPS, its your area having interference with the GPS signals, not the cell phone network.

Not sure if that’s an option on the iPhone, I’ll have to try it on the Pixel. It’s weird that both are presenting the exact problem though.

Also, fwiw, the Pixel performs noticeably worse, really never “warping” to where I am. And it’s a lot more front facing about LOST SIGNAL TO GPS messages on the screen.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Nov 10, 2020

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

TheWevel posted:

Are you one of those people that turns Bluetooth/Wifi on and off to save battery or do you leave them both on all the time?

They’re both on. I went through that whole rigamarole with Verizon and Apple’s customer service reps.

Seeing the same behavior in Airplane Mode using offline maps, on the iPhone at least.

I should also note I’ve seen this problem present all over the area. At least five different zip codes. I can drive maybe 150-200 miles a route and have seen it on multiple routes.

Then it’ll disappear and be fine for days or weeks then come right back.

It is loving weird.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

TheWevel posted:

Yeah that's pretty weird. The only other thing I can think of is when you're in the car, go to the compass app and try to recalibrate but I don't even know if iOS lets you do that anymore.

It doesnt. Theres a compass option in location services which I’ve cycled, along with every other location and data toggle in the phone.

Like it’s so random that yesterday the Pixel was useless so I pulled out the iPhone which I’d been bringing with me in my bag just in case, swapped the SIM over during my lunch, it worked perfectly for three hours and THEN started hitching and pausing and not being able to track me. It’s maddening.

Being a courier I’ll have 100+ stops in areas I barely know and the one thing I need my phone to do is loving up during the busiest time of the busiest year. :argh:

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Sorry for the double post:

So our lovely Android based package scanner gets new apps from time to time. Last week they put a navigation app on it, and I’ve never booted it. Just did, threw my next stop in there, and the entire way there this little thing just keeps saying:

GPS SIGNAL LOST

So I’ve gotta be dealing with some sort of outside GPS interference, right? The lovely work scanner found where I was, found where I needed to go, but could not track me there— the same behavior I’m getting on my phones.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

redeyes posted:

Im pretty sure it is interference. Not much you can do about that sadly.

I did not know interference was a thing until you posted about it, thank you so much.

I really dont want to jinx it but after you mentioned interference I tested using nav on my scanner with my phone off and still had the problem.

Then I thought about the truck’s gps. It has a receiver taped to the dashboard. Every truck has had them for a year or two, and maybe they just turned them on? Maybe there’s more interference going on outside the truck and it’s just too much? Figured it was worth a try so I ripped that fucker up off the dash and turned it upside down and bam— phone’s working perfectly.

It could be coincidence, but even using offline maps with no signal has been fine for the past hour.

If this stays fixed I know what to do the next time I get this stupid poo poo: gently caress with company property. (It’s just taped down, I can fix it after every shift.)

Thanks thread!

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

I bought a new phone (S21 Ultra) through Verizon's website for the first time, and it gets here today. When I activate it, should I use the included 5g SIM (I'm assuming they're including one with the phone, there's a SIM number in the order anyway), or should I just throw my current 4g SIM into the phone and go? I don't have a 5g plan and won't be anywhere close to a 5g area 99% of the time for the foreseeable future, FWIW.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

AlexDeGruven posted:

If you're not doing fuckery with lines, then just power it on and go. It will activate, and I think warn you that the old SIM will stop working.

Cool, I figured that would be the way to go, just didn’t know if it mattered as I won’t be using the 5g stuff. Thanks.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Def use the 5G SIM. All plans get the nationwide 5G, so you want the 5G SIM.

Oh, nice! I had no idea. I work in the sticks and it won’t affect me at all, so I haven’t been paying much attention to it.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

I'm currently paying for a S21 Ultra on my Verizon account. My wife is due for an upgrade and may end up wanting my phone. She is on AT&T.

Is this phone locked to my carrier, or could I factory restore this phone and let her throw her SIM into it and log into her stuff on her carrier?

Do carriers even lock phones these days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Carriers do lock their phones. ATT and T-Mobile lock their phones until they are paid off. Verizon locks their phones for 60 days of service, after day 61 they are automatically unlocked.

All carriers legally have to unlock phones if they are paid off in full.

Assuming you’ve had your phone for more than 60 days, you could give her your phone no problem. I assume you are buying a new phone ?

Yeah, I've had it since launch. I have a Pixel I could use or I might just buy something else outright and continue to just pay off the Ultra with my regular bill.

Thanks for the info, appreciate it.

e: Even if I run into any problem it would be the same price to pay it off at this point and subsidize another one if I wanted to, I guess.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Oct 19, 2021