Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Am I likely to get more for a trade-in by going into a store upgrading/trading in via that option, or to use the app/website and mail it in?

For background: I have a 256 GB iPhone 8 Plus, that I had just gotten as a replacement for a prior iPhone 8 Plus last October. About a month back I dropped it in the house on tile and chipped the corner, but that apparently has resulted in the screen continuing to get cracking across it, and even though it's now in a Otterbox Commuter, a drop yesterday sent a few more cracks across the screen.

I'm looking at either the iPhone 11 or iPhone 11 Pro, and going through the app last night, I saw a quote for about $100 for the trade-in, but wasn't sure whether I could get more by going in since besides the screen, it's been running fine, and has essentially a new battery/is a new phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

Trade in values are the same in store and online. I’m not in store to check an iPhone 8 trade in, but is that $100 showing up after you say it’s cracked ?

Unfortunately the phone won’t get full value , Verizon’s setup is actually pretty simple, here’s the regular trade in, if there’s any actual cracks or essentially just cuts it in half. An iPhone 8+ probably does trade in for around $200ish, so $100 after crack sounds right.

If you order online and want a referral code, feel free to PM me.

Thanks, I'll PM you for the referral code. By the way, it looks like the iPhone 11 Pros are backordered through early/mid March?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

So do iPads that are ordered from Verizon usually come with a Verizon SIM card?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

My wife's rather old iphone started to die this week and of course it's at a time when her dad is about to have quadruple bypass surgery.

Figuring it was time anyway, I got her an iPhone 13 Pro via the Verizon Store and paid the (small) amount for next-day delivery, which would have been Thursday evening (5/5). FedEx didn't pick it up until late Thursday morning, and then didn't actually ship it out of Indianapolis until Thursday night. It's been at the local FedEx sorting facility for 6 hours now, had been marked as "by noon", and now is marked as "by end of day", but in reality I don't expect to get it now until tomorrow.

I don't care about the small amount I paid for expedited delivery, but where I can go to bitch about the fact that between whenever it was given to FedEx and then FedEx themselves, they've now late and continuing to gently caress up?

I really loving hate FedEx.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

Sorry man, that sucks. I assume you ordered before 4-5ish local time ?

Verizon level 2 care is 800-392-0717 , they should credit you the shipping fee. Maybe you can get the upgrade fee waived ? No guarantees there.

Yeah, I think I ordered it around 2:30-3pm local time. And Verizon got the shipment notification out that evening, so I'm just chalking it up to FedEx again being crap. Part of the anger is that last week, they delivered a new mattress that my wife and I had been looking forward to it for a long time, and it was one of those ones that are all rolled up and vacsealed. When they arrived, I went out to help and could hear the FedEx person cursing and pounding stuff, etc. When they opened the door, they told me that the mattress had "broken free" from its "crummy shipping box", nevermind that it looked like whoever loaded it had wedged it between the truck's spare tires and another big box on the truck.

I don't care about the delivery fee or anything, I just want to give feedback on FedEx's horrible shipping practices. Not that it probably makes a difference?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

I have a question for you Duckman and hoping you could steer me with what to do.

So FedEx still hasn't delivered the phone I had ordered, and now does not give any updates as to delivery. I went ahead and just went to the Apple Store nearby and bought an unlocked version for my wife. It went through the entire normal iPhone setup properly, including transferring all of her existing apps, data, etc., but it didn't show as activated on Verizon.

I know it has an eSIM and doesn't have the Verizon 5G physical SIM; while trying to activate it online, I would never receive the online verification code, and now it simply tells me to contact Customer Service.

Strangely though, under "Cellular Data", it now shows the normal settings/info I'd expect to see, and seems to be recognizing her # and such, but it just won't connect to Verizon's network, and has thrown the occasional message saying it couldn't activate.

It seems like maybe this is because the original phone I ordered through Verizon, is still "pending", and so I have to get it returned/canceled before the system will let the new phone activate?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

They don’t do verification codes for eSIM now, it just auto programs.

I would call care at (800) 392-0717 , it’s almost for sure that they just have to change the IMEI to the eSIM in the system.

Fun, very weird thing: with the new process, apparently eSIM can’t provision over wifi , you have to turn off Wi-Fi so it goes through the call network. I don’t do setups anymore, so I just know this in general, mileage can vary.

Thank you for the info/number! I called and was able to give the info they needed and got it activated. It was great timing too, since her old phone had more issues today.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

I received a text today from (probably?) Verizon claiming I could get a $25/mo loyalty discount. It seems like this is probably valid? I don’t see anything in the app under my account for it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

Lol I just got a PM from another goon about it.

Yes, the $25 loyalty offer is legit , but it is account by account based.

The loyalty offer is:
$10 off one line
$25 off two or three lines
$20 off 4+ lines

No expiration, no contract. It’s just a retention offer.

The app should allow you to get it (I think), but if not either customer care can, or if you PM me I should be able to. I’m off the weekend, so for me it would just be Monday.

Hey Duckman, is this discount actually time-limited? Just curious - I tried looking online to find it but couldn't, so I was going to call in, but if it has passed, I figure there isn't a point to call.