Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.
So I tried to activate my Pixel 2 (bought directly from Google Store) the official way through the VZW website tonight instead of just swapping the SIM card from my iPhone 8+ back and forth, and the only option for insurance was to decline protection. If I just swap SIMs, everything works fine and it just shows up as "Non-VZW Pixel" or something like that, but Total Equipment Care stays on the line that way.

I guess my question is, will Verizon/Asurion (I know it's Asurion actually providing the coverage) cover my Pixel 2 in the case I just swap SIMs but keep TEC on the line or will they deny it and say I circumvented the system by just swapping SIM cards? I wouldn't be upset if I ever had to get it replaced by a Verizon Pixel 2 model if need be. I just don't want to think I'm covered when I'm not, and I definitely don't want to pay the $9.00/mo for TEC if it won't actually help me if something were to happen. Do you know if that insurance is covering the line/user or the phone itself? Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Duckman2008 posted:

No, TEC does not cover non Verizon bought phones. The google pixel from Google is different than say, buying a Pixel at Best Buy. It’s more akin to buying an unlocked iPhone, so Verizon and asurion won’t cover it. I would remove the insurance, no sense in paying for it if it doesn’t apply.

Thanks I really appreciate the information.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

sellouts posted:

The Verizon insurance sucks. I don’t know why anyone would get it.

Expensive.

Easy to track lost phones with find my iPhone.

Easy phone to secure from thieves.

Can’t just go to the Apple store for same day fixes and diagnosis.

It's good for the exact situations where you cannot retrieve the phone and I'm not sure how much you deal with recovering stolen phones but it's a pretty common thing for them to get stolen and most of the time you aren't getting that phone back regardless of the security and tracking features.

You get next day replacements.

I'm not all for promoting it, I get it for free through my company so that's why I use it, but it's definitely not the worst thing if you're prone to forgetting your phone places. Other than that, yeah just grab AppleCare+ or Google protect or whatever your manufacturer offers if you're just afraid of damage.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Duckman2008 posted:

Hey man, I’m just trying to stop the derail.

Let’s go back to what the next month or two will inevitably be: complaining about iPhone X inventory.

Isn't stock universally better than expected? I remember thinking after reading several articles that if I didn't order right away that I could very well not get one well into next year but even now it still says ship by 12-1 and that's worst case scenario.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.
e: nevermind

comper fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Mar 23, 2019

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.
I just dropped off an Apple Watch I had bought through Verizon last week because I decided I really don't need the cellular plan with it, but I was forced into keeping the plan unless I wanted to buy the device out up front. I wouldn't mind doing this, but I'm not going to pay the price for a cellular model if I'm not going to use it. Anyway, I just unpaired the watch and dropped it off at UPS using the return label I printed from the My Verizon site.

Now my next bill has shot up $750 due to a "one-time charge" for a "device payment buyout charge".

I'm hoping someone can ease my mind that as soon as the warehouse receives my package and processes the return, that the charge will fall off right then? I really don't want to pay $750 up front and wait to be credited back later on. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Duckman2008 posted:

I assume $750 was the watch retail? So basically, if you’re saying you shipped back the watch as a return, here’s what I would think:

-you removed the watch from your plan (since you returned it). Because Verizon has not yet received the watch, the system will auto charge the price of the watch
-you shipped the watch back. Upon receivable, Verizon will process the return, probably charge a $50 restock fee, and apply the difference to your bill.

So you should see $750-700 on your bill once restock fee is factored in.

Yeah, well they said it would be automatically removed from my plan once they receive the watch. I assumed this was probably the case but just wanted clarification about how their system handles that sort of thing. Thanks so much for the response.