Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

So, I felt the need to pare down my RX-7 collection (7, before this - 5 first gens, and 2 second gens,) and put an '84 GSL-SE that's been in my garage with a worn out low-compression engine for 17 years, and my running/driving '90 GXL with rear seat up for sale on Facebook and RX7club.
I pinged a couple of people that had expressed interest in the cars over the years, and one young man who had really liked my '90 responded that he didn't have any cash, but was going to put his AE86 coupe up for sale, or maybe would I be interested in a trade.
After looking over the pictures he had, and what had been done to it, I decided it was probably worth more than I was asking for the FC, so the swap was a go!

He dropped it off on Sunday:

(departing RX-7 in the background. I wasn't fast enough to get a decent shot. I mean, my fingers in the frame, FFS.)

The headlights do go down. Battery was flat, and I guess he drove with the lights on the last time he parked it.

Genuine Momo steering wheel, and some sort of short shifter.

Axle was trying to escape when they loaded and unloaded the car on the flatbed. The bearing separated. New bearings are supposed to be in the back seat. I was busy Sunday with house stuff, so didn't get to play with it much. I charged the battery, and it fired right up. It's got a Weber 32/36 carb on it, and emissions delete. He did include the OEM carb. Matching wheels for the rear are in the trunk. He has a "D1-style" fiberglass front bumper/air dam, but it was too big to transport, and no mounting hardware, so I'll need to pick that up. I've got some big spare parts for the FC to take him anyway.

Somehow I didn't take pic of the engine yet. I'll upload some of his pics from Facebook.

It has Cruise control, power steering (I think), power sunroof, and *had* AC. Manual windows, door locks, and mirrors.

Sunroof works.
Exterior lights work, headlights pop up/down.
New muffler shop exhaust
New fuel tank, filter, and fuel level sending unit.
New alternator and belt.
New front main seal.
New oil pan gasket.
New cam cover gasket.
New ceramic pads on front brakes.
New ceramic shoes for rear, not installed.
14" Celica "baby Supra" wheels.
2 new tires.
Roof spoiler.
Rocket Bunny style ducktail trunk spoiler.
Fiberglas wider rear over-fenders.
Carpet dash cover.

Needs:
    right rear axle bearing.
    Mount front bumper, attach parking lights. Fabricated 2" x 2" steel bash bar and brackets.
    Fix cracked widebody fender. Or remove and fix a lot of rivet holes.
    Radio antenna. 11/26/17: found a mast, adapted to fit. Still need a new end on the cable inside. 4/18: replaced connector.
    Radio. 4/18: installed used Panasonic head unit I had hanging around. Picked up at a swap meet for $20 years ago.
    Missing AC controls faceplate. 11/2/17: Actually, it's missing a chunk and painted over. Also, the temp control lever is missing. 11/4/17: temp lever pivot missing, lever inside panel. Fixed, still need faceplate. 11/18/17 - stuck new from Toyota faceplate overlay on.
    Have Cruise Control panel - no idea where it goes in the car! 11/6/17: CC panel I have is early style, through early 85. Supposed to have a stalk, right side of column. 1/20/17: purchased AW11 MR2 Cruise combo switch and installed. Cruise powers up, but does not engage. edit: fixed! Needed a vacuum source.
    Dome light not working 11/2/17: lights after replacing CIG fuse, but only when switched to "ON". DOOR still not working. Door switches? 11/4/17: fixed wiring to switches (and rear half of car...)
    Map light not working. 11/2/17 - CIG fuse
    Lots of oil and grease in the engine compartment. Degreased, mostly 10/29/17
    It's cold-natured - maybe a choke on the carb? 11/2/17: carb has electric choke. Must need tuning. Once it starts again... 11/24/17: seems to start and idle fine after fresh ignition bits.
    Change trans oil.
    Change rear diff oil. 11/24/17
edit:
    strip paint from Celica wheels 10/29/17: 2 done. 11/25/17: all 4 stripped, including caps.
    edit: passenger outside door handle doesn't work 11/18/17 Lubricated mechanism.
    edit: AC condenser and drier bought and installed
    edit: cooling fan shroud
    edit: I noticed that it has a bracket for the power steering pump on the engine. Need to check the rack and see if it's supposed to have power steering.
    edit: get correct lug nuts for Supra wheels. All the lug nuts I have are cone seat. Wheels take "mag style" purchased via eBay, 11/2/17
edit, 11/6/17:
    Passenger mirror - no glass replaced with laser-cut acrylic for now.
    Drivers mirror - no knob/loose and floppy 1/20/17 mounted pivot assembly correctly. Still no knob, but mirror no longer loose.
    Rear seat back hinges and latch strikers missing 11/5/17: bought from eBay. 11/10/17: installed.
    Rear wiring is routed incorrectly fixed 11/4/17, also rerouted trunk and fuel door release cables correctly.
    Rear deck panel board is trashed. Carpet is iffy. 4/18: panel cut and fitted. Need to upholster. 4/27/18: upholstered and installed
    steering wheel adapter with horn provision and horn button. 1/20/17 bought new adapter and spacer. Adapted horn slip ring to original hub (new one too short), modified slip ring to actually reach horn contact.
    Door open/key in buzzer sounds when key NOT in. 11/13/17, actually turning the ignition all the way off works wonders.

edit: 11/8/17:
    door lock lever on driver's door does not work 11/18/17 replaced broken clip on lock rod.
    clock is not supposed to display with key off, possibly related to door buzzer issue. 11/13/17, actually turning the ignition all the way off works wonders.

edit 11/10/17:
water in drivers rear under-seat area. Sunroof drains? Driver's rear side window leaks at top. Also, water leaks into the trunk via the rivets holding spoiler and over-fenders on.

edit 11/18/17:
    driver's door panel hardboard is trashed. Vinyl and fabric OK. 6/21/19
    Passenger door panel not near as bad, but still needs some love.
    Both door's water shields need to be replaced. Torn and brittle. 11/19/18 made new water shields from plastic sheeting.

edit 11/20/17:
    Missing grates/grilles over cowl vents
    Temp Control cable is binding 5/21/18: replaced with modified 4Runner cable
    Trunk light (have socket, but not mounting/lens) 1/26/18: figured out how it mounts. Still no lens, but the light works as intended, so calling it done, since the lens is NLA.

edit 11/25/17:
    front side marker light wiring cut 11/29/17: fixed
    low-beam HID headlights not working 11/22/17: fixed wiring of aftermarket adapter harness to work with factory wiring.
    coat hooks missing 11/12/18: Coat hooks replaced. OEM, in black.
    battery hold down missing
    turn signals not self-canceling 1/20/17 indexed canceling cam into hub properly
    CHARGE light not working
    rear differential grinding/noisy

edit: 1/26/17
    Temp control valve moves with cable detached, but still no heat on any setting. heater hoses not getting hot. Valve/heater core plugged?
    Probably needs shocks and struts
    Needs front end alignment.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

More photos from the prior owner:

Axle escape:

Roof spoiler, which I assume is still in his garage.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
This seems like an immense turd so it will be a fantastic thread. That's how logic works, take a community college class sometime.

Are you going to recondition that Momo wheel? It looks kinda filthy.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I'm definitely going to clean it, and everything else.
It's not that bad - the lettering is just stained, I think.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Holy poo poo man, I wish you luck. This is gonna be fun to watch.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
:goonsay: "Ahhhctually, the thread title should be referencing driving your mother home when she was too tired after work, even though you were only a little kid at the time..."

I always think the 2drs look like early Preludes in profile.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

The Eurobeat in my heart has been awakened.

Owns.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Darchangel posted:

More photos from the prior owner:

Axle escape:

Roof spoiler, which I assume is still in his garage.

It's beautiful

How do you start with something so nice looking and make it such a turd? Truly a miracle of nature.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

InitialDave posted:

I always think the 2drs look like early Preludes in profile.

They do. The Quaalude is a little lower slung, but yeah, pretty much.

ishikabibble posted:

It's beautiful

How do you start with something so nice looking and make it such a turd? Truly a miracle of nature.

20-somethings with not a lot of actual wrenching/building experience. I'd have definitely done a better job with the spray bombs, but then, I've been building model cars since the '80s, and picked up a few small skills with spray cans, and learned the importance of masking. Just a fresh paint job will make a world of difference.

For what it's worth, I liked it in the original silvery blue, but I can see that the front end has been replaced with silver parts.
Not sure about the fate of the wide rear fenders. I'd rather have bubble flares if I need room for wider tires.
I really hope I can get that roof spoiler. I really like the look of those on these and the 2G Celicas/Supras.

Speaking of: need to add "strip paint from Celica wheels" to the list. They've been painted grey, but its such a bad job they just look dirty.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
that poor car

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

A couple of minor tasks accomplished after doing some necessary work on my house's front door threshold (rotted out).

I set out to put a good tire on the left rear, and yank the tire off the axle that needs bearings. I did that, swapping the wheel and tire from the right to the left, and chucking the shredded tire on the left into the backyard.
The trunk contained 3 more 13" steelies, two with tires that are worn out but hold air, and one more Celica 14" with a now-slick tire. I hope he still has the 4th Celica rim.

The answer to "why low?" is "cut springs", and one managed to slip off the perch one winding, since the bottoms of the springs no longer flatten out enough to seat properly. I may have to get some proper lowering springs.

In digging into the trunk, I discovered that one of the torsion bars was disconnected, and the trunk lid would not stay up. The torsion spring wasn't broken, so I wrangled it back into place with prybars and channel-locks. Trunk stays up now! Wiring is sort of strewn around the trunk - not sure what's going on back there. Will have to look at the service manual to see where it's all supposed to go. Nothing else of import in the trunk besides some minor bits and pieces.

I'll dig into the stuff in the interior and see what I've got to work with, hopefully have all the bearings bits so I can get the press work done this week and have a rolling car.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Title is wrong, already looks ruined. I think it can only go up from here, holy poo poo. Good luck

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Larrymer posted:

Title is wrong, already looks ruined. I think it can only go up from here, holy poo poo. Good luck

Is that a challenge?
It still has a full interior. Clearly it is not doriftu-worthy.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Just for comparison, these are the only two AE86s currently up on Craigslist in the area:

https://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/cto/d/aeobo/6356543095.html

Got some good mechanical bits, but interior is stripped, and LOL no AC in Texas. Body is meh.
Those are the wheels, I have, only not crappily painted.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/d/ae86-gts/6359027040.html

Better interior, but front end mangled and motor seized.

I was trying to sell my FC for $2500, the prior owner of my AE86 put it up for $2750. I feel like I did OK on the deal, other than the FC was pretty well sorted out mechanically, and I knew all its quirks.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
That hatchback would cost at least twice that much over here, even in that condition.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/cto/d/1986-corolla-coupe-ae86/6355650009.html

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

At least that one is clean, painted, and pretty much ready to race, looks like.
Not sure I like the smooth front and rear, but nice tinwork. SR20? Eh.

Uh...
https://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/pts/d/1uz-trade-sale/6336302324.html

And I just sold my GSL-SE for $1000, so there's just this cash, lying there. Dammit.
What are the chances I could sell a RA20 for $1K without the engine?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Well, Celicas have started going to the moon so I would think you might even get more than that.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

Well, Celicas have started going to the moon so I would think you might even get more than that.

It helps that this one is about 70 miles away from a major population center (Fort Worth), I guess.
poo poo. Now I'contemplating just how much trouble I would get in.
I bet the rear end would fly apart instantly. then again, you have to have traction to break a diff...

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Buy this. But holy poo poo, that wheel offset.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

InitialDave posted:

That hatchback would cost at least twice that much over here, even in that condition.

I am legit angry at that. All I want is a loving Sprinter. That's it. I'd be happy.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I am legit angry at that. All I want is a loving Sprinter. That's it. I'd be happy.
I've just resigned myself to the fact that if I want one that hasn't been hosed about with by a succession of increasingly less monied and deeply stupid individuals, it might well cost me £15-20k.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Larrymer posted:

Buy this. But holy poo poo, that wheel offset.

Yeah, those are far from fitting. Might work with bubble flares or something, I guess, but as is, looks like a roller skate.

Did some cleanup work on the rear axle and wheels last night. I needed to get the bearing retainer off so it could be on the axle before the bearings are pressed on, and didn't want to deal with this greasy mess:

Never mind that grease and brakes are never a good combo.

Thanks to Purple Power and a pressure washer, I've now got this:

While I was in there I pressure washed what I could reach of the chassis, fuel tank, and wheel well.

I got the retainer out, and it's pretty mangled. Ordered a new on, and the gaskets this morning.

Axle:

Yeah, that bearing generated a little heat before it gave up. Still need to get the outer race and seal (that ovbiously wasn't sealing all that well) out of the housing.

Fortunately, courtesy of the prior owner, I have 2 sets of rear axle bearings and seals, 1 set of ceramic brake shoes, and a drum brake hardware kit.

While I was degreasing stuff, I took a stab at cleaning up the back side of the two Celica GT-S wheels that were not on the car. They were absolutely covered in grease and grime on the inside.

I did the first one just by spraying with purple cleaner and scrubbing. For the second one, I decided to scrape off what I could first.
After a little scraping.

After a lot more scraping:

How long was your axle seal weeping, bro?

After a whole bunch of scrubbing and power washing:

Thank God. I hate handling super greasy stuff. It's just unnecessary.
Used to be orange, too. Time to buy some aircraft stripper, if I don't have any already.

Did a little damage to the front side, too, between the cleaner and the power washer. No big since I intend to restore them.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Making some good progress.

I was going to say "how many years has it been since they made RE92s?" but they still do :psyduck:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

The one in the picture is bald, and the other one has steel showing. Because doriftu, one presumes.
Never mind one of the steel wheels has a tire with plenty of tread, but a sidewall puncture, and another was the one in the pictures on the left rear, that apparently exploded. I could have those removed, but I think I'm going to try just cutting them off. Once the bead wire is cut, it shouldn't be too painful. Right?

Probably will be no more progress tonight - I need to get the threshold back under my front door, and I'm tired as is. More on the weekend, I hope, if not Thursday/Friday.

I'm kind of itching to take it for a ride, really.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So what are your plans for it? Full restoration? Tofu Delivery clone? Drift Missile?

So stoked to see a 86 thread :toot:

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum
I'm curious about this too. I assume since you are even bothering to touch that axle you just want something to cruise around or run errands? Or do you just want it moveable until you start digging into it? And what was the previous owners plan? Crazy color scheme and body kit but still putting time and money into a 4ac engine? I'm hoping you've got a sc22 with a bad body for a swap. I hope this doesn't come off as sounding critical, I'm just used to seeing SR5s get parted out to fix GTSs.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Why not a 4age/4agze? Are they available/plentiful in the US?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
I can't believe you scraped that much gunk off a loving WHEEL. That's the kind of garbage you clean off old engine crossmembers. Ugh. I've always liked that style of wheel so I look forward to seeing the restoration. Glad you're keeping them.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Applebees Appetizer posted:

So what are your plans for it? Full restoration? Tofu Delivery clone? Drift Missile?

So stoked to see a 86 thread :toot:

No drift. Just make it decent and drive for now.

Bibendum posted:

I'm curious about this too. I assume since you are even bothering to touch that axle you just want something to cruise around or run errands? Or do you just want it moveable until you start digging into it? And what was the previous owners plan? Crazy color scheme and body kit but still putting time and money into a 4ac engine? I'm hoping you've got a sc22 with a bad body for a swap. I hope this doesn't come off as sounding critical, I'm just used to seeing SR5s get parted out to fix GTSs.

It's stock as hell. I drove a bone stock '79 RX-7 for years. I can deal with old slow Japanese cars. I do want it functional first, regardless. I already have the bearings, and the retainer was all of $7 from Toyota. All he did to the 4AC is yang the emissions stuff and slap a Weber on it.
I like the coupe, and as far as I know, there were no GT-S coupes in the US.
What the heck is an SC22?

slothrop posted:

Why not a 4age/4agze? Are they available/plentiful in the US?

Available yes, maybe. Plentiful, meh. Expensive because of SICK DORIFTU INITIAL D BRO? yes.
I get one result when I hit up the local craigslist for "4AGE", and it's keyword spam in a JDM engine importer who doesn't actually have any 4AGEs. Unless very luck, it would almost have to be a FWD engine conversion from the later Corolla.
There is a HUGE drift tax on AE86s.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I can't believe you scraped that much gunk off a loving WHEEL. That's the kind of garbage you clean off old engine crossmembers. Ugh. I've always liked that style of wheel so I look forward to seeing the restoration. Glad you're keeping them.

Yeah, someone had a super leaky axle seal.
Those wheels are pretty beefy: 14x7, from the Celica GT-S (aka "baby Supra" wheels). Previous owner put 175/65-14 tires on them, which is a little stretched. I think I'm going to go with the stock Corolla GT-S size of 190/60-14.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Still waiting on the axle retainer plate to do the axle bearings. Supposed to be delivered tomorrow.

Degreased the engine bay. It needed it badly - it had a leaking front main seal, valve cover, and oil pan when the preveous owner got it, which he fixed, but that still sprayed oil all over everything.

It may not look all that bad, but I assure you that every surface in there will make you dirty and slippery. Even the underside of the hood was practically dripping.

After some quality time with purple cleaner and Mr. Power Washer:

Also went after the baby Supra wheels:

Now clean:

And then did the second one:

The guy I traded with brought all the spare parts he couldn't bring with the car originally, and likewise, I loaded him up with all the FC spares I had. I should have gotten a pic of his 4Runner loaded down with all the RX-7 crap.

Here's what he brought me:

A full set of spare front struts, springs, spindles, and brakes, another original steering wheel, an e-fan, and a pair of drilled/slotted front rotors.

Also got the front bumper:

After I finished up the other stuff I was doing for the day, I decided to see how the bumper fit, and look at what bracketry I'll need to fabricobble. The first thing I discovered is that it won't fit with the OEM USDM bumper bar. So I took that off - after a whole mess of banging, bashing, and swearing, because 2 of the mounting bolts, that go through the chassis rails, rusted on the portion that was inside the rails. Not the number of tools required to convince the damned thing to get off:

The fit on the bumper is not terrible, but it will need a lot of tweaking on the passenger side:

(yes, the can of WD-40 is holding up the bumper.)

Driver's side is much better:

In somewhat related news, the dud who put down cash on the GSL-SE RX-7 actually came back with a U-haul truck and trailer, paid the rest, and took the SE home:

I haven't seen the garage that empty since I moved in.

edit: astute readers will note that my Crown Vic is parked beside the AE86 in some of the pictures, which mean my '70 Cutlass is not parked there, meaning that it *moved*. For the first time in like a year. A fresh battery (from the Corolla) and some gas down the float bowl vent and it started right up. An immediately began peeing gas out of the mechanical fuel pump, but it ran and moved enough to get it out of the way so we could extract the GSL-SE. I'll need to move it back at some point.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Oct 30, 2017

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

Darchangel posted:

And then did the second one:

The wheels are looking great, nice refurb. I love how similar they look to Starion wheels.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

The wheels are looking great, nice refurb. I love how similar they look to Starion wheels.

They look so much better without the lovely paint on them. I love the Starion wheels as well. There's a dude here with a first-gen RX-7 that's been converted to 5-lug with them, and it looks fantastic. I've even seen them on second gen RX-7s, but they need a little more fender thanks to the more positive offset.

I think I'm going to mask off the machined portions and paint the insets either dark grey or black. I did that on a set of first-gen RX-7 "plus" wheels, after sanding the machining marks smooth and polishing, and they looked great.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
It's amazing how much worse the car looks with that teal paint instead of the original silver.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I had baby supra wheels on my Soarer back in the day, one of my favorite stock wheels ever.

I think with those wheels and and removing the crappy rear fenders your 86 car has potential.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Lightbulb Out posted:

It's amazing how much worse the car looks with that teal paint instead of the original silver.

Agreed. Just Sunday, when I opened the door and my wife got a glimpse of the original ice silver/blue, she said "Ooo, pretty!" I wonder if I can get that poo poo off with copious amounts of paint thinner? It is just spray paint.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I had baby supra wheels on my Soarer back in the day, one of my favorite stock wheels ever.

I think with those wheels and and removing the crappy rear fenders your 86 car has potential.

Those look like the 15x6 wheels from the "L" (Luxury) Supra. Mine are the 14x7s from the "P" (performance). No idea why they didn't make 15x7s, which would have had the nice dish of the 14x7 with a usable diameter. Decent 14" tires are almost non-existent. I really like those wheels, though.

And yeah, I'm really thinking about removing the fenders. If I had wide wheels to go back there that would *fill* the fenders, I'd probably repair and keep them on the car. The down side is filling two billion pop-rivet holes.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Heh, going to definitely get the paint code off the car. Toyota had 4 different silvers, plus several grays, and several light/silverish blues.

Jesus, when did the cheap-ish paint from TCPGlobal get to be $200+/gallon for single stage?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

There's a Starion on stands (and has been for years) about 1/2 a mile from my house that I want to steal the wheels off. I ride home past it every day and the desire to roll up one night and remove them is great.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

Olympic Mathlete posted:

There's a Starion on stands (and has been for years) about 1/2 a mile from my house that I want to steal the wheels off. I ride home past it every day and the desire to roll up one night and remove them is great.

If you're lucky they're SHP wheels (8" front, 9" back). I have a couple sets of both, and the SHP ones look pretty rad with the lip/offset polished up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

If you're lucky they're SHP wheels (8" front, 9" back). I have a couple sets of both, and the SHP ones look pretty rad with the lip/offset polished up.

Oh, those are gorgeous. I've coveted those since I saw the widebody Starquest turbo twins at a new car show back in the day. The entire car really. I know the engines aren't the most fabulous (and really should have been a 4G63) but the widebodies are near perfection in a stock '80s Japanese car. Why, yes, I am following Garage2Roadtrip's 1UZ Starion thread, thanks for asking.