Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
But Amanda doesn't suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Waltzing Along posted:

But Amanda doesn't suck.

Maybe not, but she sure can be rowdy.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

tarlibone posted:

Maybe not, but she sure can be rowdy.

You should have said "Maybe not, but she is mostly harmless."

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

amanda's #5, not #6?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Waltzing Along posted:

But Amanda doesn't suck.

Phrasing

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Are we still doing phrasing?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

AriadneThread posted:

amanda's #5, not #6?

Amanda is #5, Mostly Harmless. Which was really negative and gave the sense that DNA wanted to never be asked to write another in the series.
Rainbow Monster is #6, that horrible POS that should have never been written.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

tarlibone posted:

Are we still doing phrasing?

phrasing!

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
i'm the salmon of doubt

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

't was a good series on life, the universe and everything.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
My dream of seeing an electric monk and a horse may not come to fruition. This is sad.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum
I am so amazingly sad that this season is over. So I come here, to check out the thread. And its been cancelled? What the gently caress, y'all

Quincyh
Dec 24, 2011

He's stolen the fire chief's hat!
Uggghhh, I finally got to enjoy the final episode, came here to see what people thought, and it's canceled. Why can't TV people ever let good shows keep going?

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Honestly, the prospect of no more Bart really bums me out.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Waltzing Along posted:

My dream of seeing an electric monk and a horse may not come to fruition. This is sad.

:ssh: The first season's mooks are religious ascetics who treat electricity as holy.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

maybe if we're lucky we'll get a max landis free season 3

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
He created it and wrote like 70% of the episodes or some such, if anything recent allegations against him make it that much less likely it gets picked up. And it was a longshot to begin with.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Mulva posted:

He created it and wrote like 70% of the episodes or some such, if anything recent allegations against him make it that much less likely it gets picked up. And it was a longshot to begin with.

Allegations? I hadn't heard about any allegations, though to be fair I don't follow the entertainment industry too closely. If Harvey Weinstein weren't in the mainstream news for what he did, I would have never heard about it.

(sigh)

Do I even have to ask what the allegations are?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Exactly what you'd expect I imagine, that he's been physically and sexually abusing women for years and his dad has helped cover it up.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Dec 23, 2017

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

after how good dirk gently was, i had wanted to believe all the talk about landis being terrible was just a matter of taste, but no, looks like he's an actual shitperson
i just hope he at least wasn't poo poo to anyone on this show or it'll ruin the art/artist separation i'm holding up in my head

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The good(ish?) news is that I think wood has enough of his LotR money still to fund passion projects and I kinda hope he puts a little up to at least fund another writer.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Could another writer pull this show off, though?

I'm being serious. Most of what I like about this show is the unique way in which it weaves the mystery, and the clever way in which they get solved. Both seasons have the last half of the episodes literally dumping answers on you--bucketfuls of answers. You get so many answers that you realize that you forgot how many questions the plot has raised, and still it doesn't all make sense until the last episode. Even then, the last answer could be given 5 minutes in and there'll still be plenty of reasons to watch until the end.

Now... I don't know how much of this was Landis. I don't know if he's the guy who's supplying the raw ideas and high-level story concepts to the writers who actually work out the details, or if he's mainly responsible for weaving the baskets himself. But if he's writing most of the episodes, then replacing him could very well change the show, and honestly, the impact of that on the show's quality is about as much of a coin flip as you can get these days.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I don't find the main mystery to be the most interesting part of either season, it is the weird worlds and characters. After two seasons a new writer will probably have an easier time of hitting the same tone, and the actors have a good idea of what their characters are.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

yes. i feel like so much of what made the show work can be attributed to people other then landis, that i think it would be possible for someone else to pick up the writer's pen and keep up the quality.
a major risk though? sure

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Both seasons end with deus ex machina via a character briefly mentioned in the beginning so that Landis can pretend the story is cohesive. The set/costume design, source material, and the actors all carried both seasons.

This is made pretty obvious if you watch Bright. Landis has the writing chops of a high school senior.

Quincyh
Dec 24, 2011

He's stolen the fire chief's hat!
That's true, but now you're making me hope for a season three without Landis, so I'm just going to be disappointed when it doesn't happen.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Nasgate posted:

Both seasons end with deus ex machina via a character briefly mentioned in the beginning so that Landis can pretend the story is cohesive. The set/costume design, source material, and the actors all carried both seasons.

This is made pretty obvious if you watch Bright. Landis has the writing chops of a high school senior.

No. Landis produced Dirk and was at the helm and he directed some episodes. It is his show.

Bright he wrote and handed off and that was it. He even mentioned earlier this year that the show had been completely changed and was no longer what he had written.

How does it feel to be 100% wrong?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Waltzing Along posted:

No. Landis produced Dirk and was at the helm and he directed some episodes. It is his show.

Bright he wrote and handed off and that was it. He even mentioned earlier this year that the show had been completely changed and was no longer what he had written.

How does it feel to be 100% wrong?

You haven't disproved the majority of my post, which is a criticism of the shoddy writing and a statement that the actors and crew made the show better than the writing would warrant.

I appreciate your undue smugness. You a Landis account?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm only 4 episodes in to the second season because Netflix put it up last Friday and I just want to say that I love how silly and weird this show is. I have absolutely no idea what's going on (well, some now, as of the latest episode) but love being as lost as the cast and inundated with pure oddity on a constant basis. Watching this show I have a grin fixed to my face almost every second and while I'm looking forward to finding out how everything fits together eventually, I'm happy to be lost at the moment. Also, Tina is a loving god send and watching two absolutely laid back people having to constantly be corrected on their jobs is hilarious.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Mulva posted:

Exactly what you'd expect I imagine, that he's been physically and sexually abusing women for years and his dad has helped cover it up.

Huh...I thought he was gay.

Edit: I've never heard of him before and the only place I've ever heard him speak was the SDCC panel for the first season so I guess I shouldn't have made snap judgements.

KilGrey fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jan 10, 2018

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

KilGrey posted:

Huh...I thought he was gay.

Edit: I've never heard of him before and the only place I've ever heard him speak was the SDCC panel for the first season so I guess I shouldn't have made snap judgements.

He's straight. Personally I'm surprised that the women were of legal age, guy dresses like he's fifteen.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Maybe he is gay and takes his repression out on women?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Actually the show is really awesome

-Max Landis

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
http://www.pajiba.com/celebrities_are_better_than_you/max-landis-sexual-assault-allegations-and-silence.php

This is a really interesting article from an interesting perspective. It's pretty thoroughly researched and even written by people who don't especially like him, yet they're saying it's potentially all hearsay and third-hand information because there are zero specifics. So who knows at this point. He might still just be an abrasive weirdo.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

sticklefifer posted:

http://www.pajiba.com/celebrities_are_better_than_you/max-landis-sexual-assault-allegations-and-silence.php

This is a really interesting article from an interesting perspective. It's pretty thoroughly researched and even written by people who don't especially like him, yet they're saying it's potentially all hearsay and third-hand information because there are zero specifics. So who knows at this point. He might still just be an abrasive weirdo.

Yeah, he sounds like a jerk. Not exactly a criminal offence. The most condemning thing anyone says about Landis is Landis himself, though. And it sounds really fake to me, like he's quoting this Bowie song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHywdqH3F6Y

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The second season had a really satisfying ending for everyone. Everyone bar Bart. And while I'm not saying her ending isn't appropriate or anything, I am saying I can't be completely happy with this being the end when she seems so despondent and desperate for something more. Her saying she thought was a leaf on the stream, but in reality she's more like a puppet is heart breaking. Especially when only an episode earlier I practically cheered at hundreds of guards advancing on her but completely failing to hit her while she just strolled up to them with a chainsaw. That the ending teased a season where Ken is the main villain, Priest is out for revenge, Friedkin is some kind of reality (or maybe hollistic) over-seer and Amanda is leading the Rowdy 3 on a roadtrip to find more weirdos but we'll likely get it is fairly rough too.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Ugh, of course this gets canceled. Well probably canceled at least. I mean, how likely is it that Netflix will pick up the series instead of just distributing it in not-america?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Sereri posted:

Ugh, of course this gets canceled. Well probably canceled at least. I mean, how likely is it that Netflix will pick up the series instead of just distributing it in not-america?
As good as it is, the show never generated much buzz. It also doesn't look particularly cheap to make (but who knows, it's BBC America).

I'd love to get a season 3, but I'm not holding my breath.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

WhiteHowler posted:

As good as it is, the show never generated much buzz. It also doesn't look particularly cheap to make (but who knows, it's BBC America).

I'd love to get a season 3, but I'm not holding my breath.

Apparently the production company behind the show is still all go for funding it themselves -- they just don't have anyone who'll buy the distribution and airing rights off of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No More Toast
May 11, 2013

Atheist! Imperialist!!

Count me on the 'just finished the second season and now am bummed it's been cancelled' train.

Here's hoping netflix will pick it up- Bart needs a better ending. :(

• Locked thread