Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
do it

Don't be a bigot. No talking about abortion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

I have a bad feeling about this...
Prayer rules: developing one's relationship with God, or tedious self-discipline grinding?

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

cerror posted:

Prayer rules: developing one's relationship with God, or tedious self-discipline grinding?

i think having a rubric for anything helps you make the most of your time. the form of buddhism i practice is centered around the nembutsu but there’s still daily service stuff with sutra chanting and stuff. so i think prayer rules are good

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
I'd give a limb to be healthy enough to follow a daily Rule.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
My deacon friend (who played a significant role in me returning to Christianity on a conscious level) will be elevated to the priesthood soon! I'd invite people, but he doesn't want to inform many people because he's a bit skittish about someone showing up and objecting at the ceremony. Still, I'm very excited for him, and it'll be nice for him to no longer worry about whether or not he should be a priest and just dive into it. After catechesis class this past Sunday, we went for a walk to the local cemetery and spent some time admiring some of the wonderful old historic gravestones. We found some from back in the 1600s. You know, stuff like this: http://www.katyelliott.com/blog/2009/10/new-england-cemetery-old-burial-hill.html

Our catechesis class is a v. interesting mix of people. I took courses in eastern religions in college and come from a Congregational education (with my dad bringing a Western influenced Buddhist influence into the mix), we have one Chinese Christian man who has a background that's too much to even get into, one young man who comes from a really strict Calvinist denomination, and a former Catholic with an M. Div. This past sunday we were supposed to really get into the trinity but because we ended up just trying to grapple with essence-energies distinctions. But it felt like a good derail.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008
Thank you Jesus for all the holidays, including two next week.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Chief of sinners checking in :angel:

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

CountFosco posted:

he's a bit skittish about someone showing up and objecting at the ceremony

Is this... common?

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

It is not, but I think that maybe there is some obscure canonical rule that probably only he remembers and he has a vivid imagination.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Ah, we're back. All's right with the world

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Apparently objecting to a priest's ordination is something that is a bit on the traditional side:

https://ecclesiasticallaw.wordpress.com/2014/05/31/objecting-to-an-ordination/

A list of what counts as a valid reason for objecting can be found here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impediment_(canon_law)#Impediments_to_ordination_to_the_priesthood

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Keromaru5 posted:

Ah, we're back. All's right with the world

Has it been three days already?

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."

cerror posted:

prayer rules are great and can be extremely helpful! i've got some daily jesus prayer and daily ave marias that my spiritual director approved. it's not much, but i've never had occasion to regret taking explicit time to pray

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Hello.

Prayer rules, imo.

Moscow Mule
Dec 21, 2004

Nothing beats the taste sensation when maple syrup collides with ham.
It's been awhile since I've posted. Things are pretty much the same except I am friends with Varvara on Facebook. :cool:

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
You jerks moved it to A/T and I thought i was DnD and now I am VERY EMBARASSED

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
:(

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
it was always in a/t dude

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Ceciltron posted:

Sending my #prayersandthoughts to you! 🙏

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

I can't find an English-language source for it, but apparently there exists a letter of indulgence dated 1508, sold by the infamous Johann Tetzel and purchased and signed by a certain “Martinus Luder“ :haw:

Looking for an English source gave me this excellent portrait of Luther though, so all is good.

quote:

My favorite (reported in Erikson’s book) is a comment that Luther made at the dinner table while in the grip of a depression. “I am like a ripe poo poo,” he said, “and the world is a gigantic rear end in a top hat. We will both probably let go of each other soon.” It takes you a minute to realize that Luther is saying that he feels he is dying. And then you want to congratulate him on the sheer zest, the proto-surrealist nuttiness, of his metaphor. He may feel as though he’s dying, but he’s having a good time feeling it.

:3:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

System Metternich posted:

I can't find an English-language source for it, but apparently there exists a letter of indulgence dated 1508, sold by the infamous Johann Tetzel and purchased and signed by a certain “Martinus Luder“ :haw:

Looking for an English source gave me this excellent portrait of Luther though, so all is good.

:3:

Haha that's great

Christianity v3: I'm a ripe poo poo and the world is a gigantic rear end in a top hat

edit: speaking of ripe shits, that New Yorker article has quite the steaming hot take on the 30YW (HEY GAL trigger warning):

quote:

Indeed, the horrific Thirty Years’ War, in which, basically, Europe’s Roman Catholics killed all the Protestants they could, and vice versa
Protestant Saxony, which HEY GAL studies, fought on the Imperial side and Catholic France fought for the Protestants because gently caress the Habsburgs. The 30YW was mostly about politics, religion was a convenient excuse for firing both Imperialists and pistols out of windows.

It's a pretty good article on Luther overall, though.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Oct 24, 2017

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Pellisworth posted:

Haha that's great

Christianity v3: I'm a ripe poo poo and the world is a gigantic rear end in a top hat

edit: speaking of ripe shits, that New Yorker article has quite the steaming hot take on the 30YW (HEY GAL trigger warning):

Protestant Saxony, which HEY GAL studies, fought on the Imperial side and Catholic France fought for the Protestants because gently caress the Habsburgs. The 30YW was mostly about politics, religion was a convenient excuse for firing both Imperialists and pistols out of windows.

It's a pretty good article on Luther overall, though.

Yeah, that rubbed me a bit the wrong way too. Relatedly, I recently found out that the Imperial Secretary Phillip Fabricius, who was one of the three duded who got thrown out of the window in 1618 onto a dung heap (if you ask Protestants)/actually were carried away by the Virgin Mary (if you ask Catholics)/wore heavy coats and therefore glided down the air like Early Modern Batman (if you ask comic-reading historians)/didn't really fall insomuch as tumbled down a wall that was more a slope than a vertical wall (if you actually look at the location)... that anyway this Fabricius later got elevated to Imperial nobility under the title "von Hohenfall" (=of the high fall) :laffo:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

More like the high Fail, amirite :iamafag:

Obligatory intro: I like axes, bogs, summoning demons( apparently) and also sometimes the three-fold God of Man. Talk to me about syncretism or beating nazis, I think

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Caufman posted:

Has it been three days already?

:dance:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

cerror posted:

it depends on what you feel like you need at that moment, i guess

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Ceciltron posted:

THERE you are, dude. Everything's fine. :justpost:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
And, on the Tias front, I'm worried that the dead people he's talking to are actually demons, but the Orthodox say the same thing about the extremely "visual" way Catholics pray, so GLASS HOUSES, people

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
come to asian religions where the difference between ghosts and demons is sometimes a matter of perspective

also on a different note i just wrote the reverend at the local buddhist temple (reverend is his actual english title, long story on why this organization uses reverend and bishop instead of japanese terms) about receiving a dharma name (he said he'd e-mail me and it's been a week with no word so i was worried he didn't have the right e-mail or something so i figured i should write him) and it took me over two hours to write it in japanese but the english i sent along with it only took a minute or two and i just think that's special. plus the english had extra details that i couldn't work out how to include in the japanese version. anyway i'm worried he's nervous about me doing it since i'm basically a stranger to the temple but it's only because i live far away and can't drive, and the uber costs forty dollars a trip and i'm working a retail job that makes me work on sundays. poo poo's hard. i'm sure orthodox goons know what i'm talkin about.

Senju Kannon fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Oct 24, 2017

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
just ask it to pray with you i guess, and if it won't then you know

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
but demons should recite the nenbutsu too!

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

HEY GAIL posted:

And, on the Tias front, I'm worried that the dead people he's talking to are actually demons, but the Orthodox say the same thing about the extremely "visual" way Catholics pray, so GLASS HOUSES, people

Wrote you a pm, don't want folks to poo poo up this thread again

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

HEY GAIL posted:

extremely "visual" way Catholics pray

Now I'm wondering what you mean with that, like rosaries and stuff or touching sacred relics/statues?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Now I'm wondering what you mean with that, like rosaries and stuff or touching sacred relics/statues?
No, I mean that in some traditions (like the Jesuits) Catholics are supposed to visualise saints, Mary, etc. Like pictures in your mind. The Orthodox loving haaaate that.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

didn't really fall insomuch as tumbled down a wall that was more a slope than a vertical wall (if you actually look at the location)
no it isn't, i've been there. The bottom story has a little slope but the other two are vertical.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Pellisworth posted:

Haha that's great
yeah the people i've read from that period are very good writers. When they're not all hung up on politeness and formality there's an immediacy to what they write that you don't often see in the 18th or 19th centuries.

quote:

Protestant Saxony, which HEY GAL studies, fought on the Imperial side ...
Twice. They fought on the anti-Imperialist side once.

edit: a better example might be Bethlen Gabor, who's the Calvinist head of a principality whose people are primarily Orthodox and Catholic but whose nobles are primarily Calvinist, which is a vassal of the Ottomans and for these reasons he fought (at some times) on the anti-Imperialist side, because gently caress Hapsburgs

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Oct 24, 2017

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Senju Kannon posted:

i'm sure orthodox goons know what i'm talkin about.
it was also this bad when i was a latin mass catholic

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

HEY GAIL posted:

No, I mean that in some traditions (like the Jesuits) Catholics are supposed to visualise saints, Mary, etc. Like pictures in your mind. The Orthodox loving haaaate that.

Ikons are God made present.

You're visualizing WHAT NOW?!

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

This may seem like an odd question for the thread but, any recommendations on Orthodox Metal bands? After following the last thread, it struck me that a lot of the Orthodox themes and imagery would be suited to metal bands. Maybe I'm imagining that.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Shaddak posted:

This may seem like an odd question for the thread but, any recommendations on Orthodox Metal bands? After following the last thread, it struck me that a lot of the Orthodox themes and imagery would be suited to metal bands. Maybe I'm imagining that.

From last thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Shaddak posted:

They are not really an Orthodox band, but they heavily use the aesthetics.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgfa5UlZAL8

• Locked thread