Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They gave everyone in the audience of that Fallon episode a free NFT, right? You figure the couple of people who were in the audience who actually knew what the hell was going on might have tried selling their NFTs by now to some rubes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

People are losing their poo poo because their favorite brand of ice cream isn't in the freezer because of COVID-related supply chain shocks, but total economic collapse will surely not inconvenience the new lords of the universe with their buttcoin holdings.

kw0134 fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jan 27, 2022

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
I think one of the funniest things about NFTs is it used to be incredibly difficult/expensive to find "good" digital artwork, especially video artwork, almost impossible for vertically oriented video artwork before NFTs, creators guarded it like hawks. Basically the only relevant player in the space is Blackdove, which charges $99 a month for a basic subscription and is actually heavily promoting NFTs.

Basically all the NFT sites now are right-click free high resolution screensaver/desktop background video/images.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jan 27, 2022

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Twitch promoting this on the front page:

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

thats me. I pay only with cash and hate companies which try to employ almost no people and expect to sell their stuff. Like my nearest McDonalds when introducing ordering via touch screen and phone. gently caress that poo poo.

also buttcoins

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

kw0134 posted:

People are losing their poo poo because their favorite brand of ice cream isn't in the freezer because of COVID-related supply chain shocks, but total economic collapse will surely not inconvenience the new lords of the universe with their buttcoin holdings.

I will happily trade my self grow food and meat products for buttcoins in case of a apocalypse. Just imagine how practical they are. I use them everyday for

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
lol, all it would take is one EMP detonation to destroy ALL the bitcoin wealth on the planet.

hell, a single mobile Stingray would render all local coiners totally destitute.

e:in a real apocalypse, drinkable water will be far, far more valuable than some stupid loving digital coin.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jan 27, 2022

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Dewgy posted:

It’s like when I met a silver hoarder and he was absolutely mystified that I’d suggest someone in an economic collapse could just shoot him and take his silver. Had zero response, refused to even acknowledge that it was a possibility.
More like someone would shoot him, ignore his useless silver and take his food, water and fuel.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
We should really creat physical tokens and paper certificates to represent the wealth we have in various cryptos. Just in case anything happens to the blockchain smart ledger we have these things to prove our ownership and exchange with each other

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Gutcruncher posted:

We should really creat physical tokens and paper certificates to represent the wealth we have in various cryptos. Just in case anything happens to the blockchain smart ledger we have these things to prove our ownership and exchange with each other
BUT physical tokens and paper certificates dont waste TWh s of energy. Sounds like a pretty stupid idea, like monkey.jpeg stupid

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Gutcruncher posted:

We can also make more tokens when needed to stop hoarding and keep circulation up!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

things now are neither the worst nor the best. they are in the middle, and both sides have a point

Yep, this is an average year. Worse than last year, better than next year.

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

priznat posted:

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1486051087736094729

The old guard is scared! (scared that this will destabilize a country causing chaos)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Lol yup

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

tango alpha delta posted:

lol, all it would take is one EMP detonation to destroy ALL the bitcoin wealth on the planet.

hell, a single mobile Stingray would render all local coiners totally destitute.

e:in a real apocalypse, drinkable water will be far, far more valuable than some stupid loving digital coin.

What's the range? I mean I assume some of the whales are known and finding out their addresses would be trivial. Could some beautiful bastard get on the pavement outside their house and wipe the wallet?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

I wonder if the true believers in crypto have their own version of Roko's basilisk, where they get punished by the blockchain for not buying in at the start on the coin/NFT which winds up reigning supreme after the collapse of fiat money.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Illuminti posted:

What's the range? I mean I assume some of the whales are known and finding out their addresses would be trivial. Could some beautiful bastard get on the pavement outside their house and wipe the wallet?

I think you can have hardcopy wallets so you would need to either kill every copy of the blockchain (hard) or just burn the house down (easy).

But given that weaponised EMP involves an explosion of some kind the question of hardcopies is kinda moot.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Strong Sauce posted:

So I've been reading about how those monkeys got stolen from the original buyer's account on Opensea

1. When you signup on Opensea to sell your NFT, (or buy a NFT), you give Opensea the ability to control the NFT. Opensea can move your NFT's ownership to another person but they won't do it unless they have proof.

2. You list your item for <X> ETH, and to save on Gas fees instead of adding something to the blockchain, you generate a message that says, "I want to sell this for <X> ETH", you encrypt with your private key, give it to Opensea to store. Opensea does not put this on the actual blockchain, it just stores it in one of it's centralized databases.

3. Someone comes along and wants your NFT. He looks at how much Opensea is listing it for (based on the generated message) and tells Opensea, "Okay I want this, here's <X> ETH. The buyer also sends OpenSea the message as proof that you want to sell it for <X> ETH. First OpenSea checks to make sure you still own it by comparing the wallet address of the person who created the sale, then it transfers the ownership of it to the buyer after verification.

4. But let's say you actually wanted to list the NFT at <X+10> ETH. You can't just tell OpenSea to delete it from their central database that stores this. Because this message was available publicly, anyone who saved this message can just go to step #3 and tell OpenSea to allow him to buy it for <X> ETH because he has a signed message from you saying to sell it at that price.

So what you need to do is make a transaction on the actual Ethereum blockchain saying, "This message I wrote about the price. Please never sell it based off this message" and poof that message is blacklisted and now you're free to relist your NFT at <X+10> ETH. So you go through the steps again to do that, now you have an NFT that's available for <X+10> ETH.

5. But it costs money to cancel the original <X> ETH sale. So to save on Gas fees, users figured out that if they move the NFT out of their wallet, OpenSea no longer sees that the NFT belongs to you. The message is tied to your wallet address so if it no longer matches OpenSea just assumes you sold it or moved it out of that wallet and removes that listing from their site. After the owner of the NFT sees that OpenSea removed their original listing, he believes he's free to relist the NFT.

6. The problem is that most people transfer the NFT back to their original wallet after they did the trick in #5. They generate a new message and list their monkey for <X+10> ETH and then wait for the next sucker.

7. The issue is the older message about selling for <X> ETH still exists in Opensea's database and is still valid. Apparently the hacker used their API or just scraped the website for these older signed messages. Once the hacker found those, he took that message to Opensea and basically said, "This guy wants to sell it for <X> ETH, here's the message that proves this was the price he wanted to sell at." Opensea looks at the message, verifies that you signed it, then also verifies that the wallet address is the same as when you originally signed the message. All of it checks out and Opensea sends the monkey to its new owner.

Wow, trading bragging rights to a lovely ape jpg has never been so easy. Absolutely amazing! And it's so quiet, are you really sure it's even turned on?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
https://twitter.com/GwynethPaltrow/status/1486482496883625984?s=20

Though honestly, the only surprise is she wasn't the first celeb they suckered in.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Can't wait for ape candles with vagina smells.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Has anyone worked out if the hex pfps are smaller in max radius than a normal circle? Cos if so you could just put a frame the same colour as the Twitter background and fake it lmao

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

yeah you can visually fake it pretty easily

real hexagon pfps bring up the NFT information when you click on them though, so anyone who cares can tell it's fake

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

repiv posted:

yeah you can visually fake it pretty easily

real hexagon pfps bring up the NFT information when you click on them though, so anyone who cares can tell it's fake

The hex also slots into a hex shaped hole in the background banner on your profile page

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

busalover posted:

Can't wait for ape candles with vagina smells.

"This candle smells like my Bored Ape"

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Surprised she's not selling them on goop already.

ACAB page.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

It has occurred to me that crypto has the same problem that all utopian schemes do: what happens when someone says no? "It's so obviously great that no one will say no!" isn't an answer.

I tried to come up with a scenario here for the outsiders in the glorious crypto future and I couldn't because the obvious response would be to set up a shadow economy and that shadow economy would work better than crypto even if it was a weird splice of bronze age bartering and modern computers. A better economic system would immediately overrun crypto unless they start using violence to shut down anyone trading gold certificates for beans. Even though the whole thing would be significantly worse than today, but it's impossible for me to conceive of a world where crypto doesn't implode on itself.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
What kind of crazy world are you talking about? The true state of the world and how the economy works is exactly how a cryptobro remembers the way it worked when 12 years old in upper class California

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Hello Sailor posted:

I wonder if the true believers in crypto have their own version of Roko's basilisk, where they get punished by the blockchain for not buying in at the start on the coin/NFT which winds up reigning supreme after the collapse of fiat money.

Yep this is literally how bitcoin is designed, it’s straight up deflationary. So you’re punished massively for not getting it at the jump *and* you’re punished if you spend it at any time. You just need an endless supply of suckers to enter the pyramid, which compared to a needing an AGI and for the universe to misunderstand maths as badly as those less wrong folks, is still impossible but seems more likely.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Random Stranger posted:

It has occurred to me that crypto has the same problem that all utopian schemes do: what happens when someone says no? "It's so obviously great that no one will say no!" isn't an answer.

I tried to come up with a scenario here for the outsiders in the glorious crypto future and I couldn't because the obvious response would be to set up a shadow economy and that shadow economy would work better than crypto even if it was a weird splice of bronze age bartering and modern computers. A better economic system would immediately overrun crypto unless they start using violence to shut down anyone trading gold certificates for beans. Even though the whole thing would be significantly worse than today, but it's impossible for me to conceive of a world where crypto doesn't implode on itself.

It's not too dissimilar from the people who think that so many problems will be solved if we get rid of money. The issue isn't the money itself (which is fundamentally an abstraction of the barter layer), it's the concentration of wealth and the pricetag upon everything. Neither of those go away if you get rid of all paper currency and coins.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

North Dakota getting ready to get grifted. What a stupid way to diversify the state economy. And they will be using a coal power plant.

https://www.inforum.com/business/large-scale-crypto-mining-data-center-planned-for-western-north-dakota-oil-patch

quote:

BISMARCK — North Dakota Gov. Doug Burgum and two cryptocurrency companies unveiled plans Wednesday, Jan. 26, for a massive data center outside Williston, a $1.9 billion project that developers said will be among the largest standalone, high-performance computing facilities in the world.
The data center is being constructed by Montana-based FX Solutions and will be owned and operated by Atlas Power, also of Montana. Executives from the companies laid out plans to construct the facility in three phases, with the first stage drawing on 240-megawatts of electricity — more energy than is needed to power the city of Fargo — and eventually ramping up to a powerhouse 700-megawatt scale.
“This is a major investment that's occurring,” Burgum said during an announcement event at the Mountrail-Williams Electric Cooperative headquarters in Williston. The second-term Republican and former software executive touted the high performance computing industry's potential to diversify western North Dakota's boom-and-bust oil economy and said the project would “further cement North Dakota's growing reputation as a global hub for data centers.”
In its first phase, the Atlas Power data center is expected to perform a host of energy-intensive jobs, Burgum spokesman Mike Nowatzki said, with about 65% of resources dedicated to mining cryptocurrency. The remaining energy would be used for data storage, machine learning and artificial intelligence tasks, among other things, Nowatzki said.
Sixteen buildings, each the length of a football field, will hold the computing systems in the project’s initial phase, with site work for the facilities already underway on 77 acres west of Williston. FX Solutions president Richard Tabish said he expects to have phase one completed by the end of 2022, and to achieve the 700-megawatt scale within two years.Atlas Power was founded by Kevin Washington, the son of Montana billionaire Dennis Washington. The company currently operates a 75-megawatt data center in Butte, Montana.

Tabish said the two companies chose North Dakota for their project partly because of how quickly they would be able to bring the data center to completion here.

Data centers have sprouted up rapidly around the world in recent years, spurred by the growing demand for cloud computing and cryptocurrency transactions.

Developers have also set their sights on North Dakota as a location for new data centers in part because the state’s frigid winters help with the cooling processes needed to keep hardware from overheating. Smaller projects are underway in Jamestown and Grand Forks, while Rainbow Energy, the buyer of Coal Creek Station, has publicized plans to add a data center near North Dakota’s largest coal plant. The company has not disclosed specifics about the size or computing purposes of that facility.

Data centers require around-the-clock power, making them highly energy intensive and reliant on 24/7 resources like coal and natural gas. Cryptocurrency operations, in particular, have drawn criticism from environmentalists who see the process as feeding fossil fuel generation and unnecessarily driving planet-warming greenhouse gas emissions.

While the data center sector is nascent in North Dakota, the industry has clustered in a handful of locations around the country, including northern Virginia, Silicon Valley and Dallas. A September report from the commercial real estate firm CBRE found that northern Virginia has the country's largest inventory of data centers, at over 1,500 megawatts.

FX Solutions and Atlas Power said their project would create around 100 temporary construction jobs and support 30 employees on site over the long-term.

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Lol who is that guy

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Parkingtigers posted:

Though honestly, the only surprise is she wasn't the first celeb they suckered in.

Gwyneth Paltrow is Susan Sarandon's Wario.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

mkvltra posted:

Lol who is that guy

https://clickhole.com/heartbreaking-the-worst-person-you-know-just-made-a-gr-1825121606/

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It's this:
https://twitter.com/ClickHole/status/960568745298223104

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I Found ClickHole’s “Worst Person You Know”

Some random guy in Spain has no idea that he's famous on the internet.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Parkingtigers posted:

I love all the responses. Seems like 3/4 of them are people peddling their own NFTs. And I thought we were a big ol' circlejerk, We've got nothing on them.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
You can take your NFT and stick it up your- oh, you've done that already, huh?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Paladinus posted:

You can take your NFT and stick it up your- oh, you've done that already, huh?

It is the only way to keep the wallet safe.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Gwyneth is gonna steal my idea of laser etching the unique ID for the nft on a jade egg and storing it in the hoo-ha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rasputin on the Ritz
Jun 24, 2010
Come let's mix where Rockefellers
walk with sticks or um-ber-ellas
in their mitts

Phuzun posted:

North Dakota getting ready to get grifted. What a stupid way to diversify the state economy. And they will be using a coal power plant.

https://www.inforum.com/business/large-scale-crypto-mining-data-center-planned-for-western-north-dakota-oil-patch

loving lol

“To diversify away from the boom and bust oil economy we’re going balls deep on the totally stable and not prone to fluctuations Digital Tulip Bulb”